Hostal Hogar Cuencano Reviews

Hermano Miguel 4 36 and Calle Larga, Cuenca, Ecuador

I liked the hostel very much, except for the lack of lockers. I had to give my laptop to the owner of the hostel, who put it in his cupboard. When I needed my laptop again the owner was absent and I had to wait two hours. Please invest in lockers! The location of the hostel is excellent when it comes to exploring the city, but it's situated next to a disco or bar. One night, people went on partying outside until dawn. I couldn't sleep at all. The noise was unbearable.

I stayed in the dorm which was never full. There must be a church nearby as the bells ring early in the morning. There is no social room here but you will meet the people in your room. The location was good. The shower is kind of tricky but finally figured out how to get the hot water. There is a restaurant next door with good breakfasts.

Worst hostal I've stayed at in over 20 countries. 1) I tried first booking via email and was told there were no vacancies - I then looked on hostalworld and there were several beds. 2) $1 charge to use the kitchen. 3) No friends allowed unless you want the Mom to tell your female friends they are not allowed in the rooms (as if they are prostitutes?). 4) Dad gets mad if you come in and out of the hostal more than once after 10pm. 5) Dad will try to ripe you off and charge you more

• 17th Apr 2015

We arrived in Cuenca hoping for some helpful staff who could give us information about the town and buses to other places in Ecuador as we only had limited time there. The staff are nice but are just there to check you in and out. Not a great atmosphere in the place, maybe due to the fact there are lots of private rooms - not great for socialising. Very nice private double room and good location in the historic centre.

It is very central and i had a warm welcome. They offered me some service to bring me for 25 dollars to Incapirca, but sadly only if another guest would also want to get for it. No other guest wanted to go there, so they adviced me to go there by bus. If you are not a group of 3 or 4, i would jus advise to take the bus ;-) it is much cheaper and Ingapirca is not such a big deal if you have ever seen real Inca ruins, but of course it is worth seeing it and taking the small trail around it.

• 25th Mar 2015

Found it a ittle expensive but all else was great.

everything we could want as tourists (variety of restaurants, tour buses, grocery store, etc) was within easy walking distance.

• 28th Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Friendliest most helpful hotel people we have ever encountered

• 24th Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The staff is very good. The room did not have street noise as it was very much on the interior of the building, At the same time the sounds from other rooms were fairly audible.

• 14th Feb 2015
  • Couple, 41+

Great location (right in the center of historic Cuenca). A pleasant family run hostel with basic, simple, rooms but more than adequate. Reliable and plentiful hot water. Breakfast not included (many local options for about $3). Good WiFi. Very quiet (but if there are noises you her them; have a quiet after 10 policy). Owners and children speak English. (Not provided but the family also owns a finca with the best tasting coffee I've ever had; better than Panama's $100/ib Geisha coffee.)