Hostal Jacaranda & Home Reviews

Almirante Montt 327, Cerro Alegre, Valparaiso, Chile

Location was fab! Communal area not great - not much atmosphere, this is a chilled hostel. Clean beds very comfy. Showers ok, not quite enough of them. Security great, felt very safe. If you don't speak Spanish this may be difficult for you as the staff don't speak English! Overall good, would recommend!

A nice enough place, in a convenient area of the city - but difficult to find, and be warned if you're arriving on an overnight bus - the staff doesn't start working and the buzzer is turned off until 10am, so don't even bother trying to drop luggage. The staff is not particularly attentive or even on site for much of the day - at least the day I was working it was impossible to find the brazillian woman in charge - she left the place a mess, no toilet paper, to lounge and do her own thing.

Excellent place to stay! Especially due to of the pretty nice hosts it's worth to go and to stay. Room was very small, loud and no shelf, rack or locker inside, but didn't matter because of the amazing atmosphere in the rest of the house. Breakfast was fantastic

Beautiful house in great location on the Cerro (hill). Not much of a atmosphere, as only 'communal' area is almost like a formal lounge. My friend and I stayed here for NYE and so prices were high everywhere in Valpo and this hostel was one of the cheapest. I would probably stay elsewhere next time for more of a hostel vibe and to get breakfast included!

We had a nice comfortable room and the staff were friendly. The kitchen is good for cooking in. However, this hostel is really small and it lacks communal space- there is just one small sitting room. Also there is no computer for guests to use, which is diappointing.

Gerardo who ran the hostel is an excellent guy, very helpful and kind. By way of example, I was not charged a missed night due to heavy snowfall at the Argentinian/Chile impeding my crossing. The second night I was upgraded to a single room with bathroom from a dorm bed at no additional charge. What kindness ! The hostel is very homely and one of the best during my 10 week backpacking journey. I would definitely stay here again.

My stay in the hostal was excellent. After arriving, I got a map and really helpful introduction of the cities by one of the owners. The bathrooms, kitchen and dormes are very clean, the atmosphere in the hostal was very enjoyable. I especially enjoyed the location of the hostal! It's perfect since the neighbourhood is the most beautiful of Valparaíso and at night it's only a few minutes walk form the nightlife areas.

• 25th Sep 2014

Brilliant staff in a cool building! As far as we could see this is not an eco-option though, which was disappointing. Plenty of potential for a great atmosphere between the few rooms, which during our stay was really lovely.

View all Valparaiso Bed and Breakfasts