Hostal Licanantay Reviews

Guillermo Rivera 316, Valparaiso, Chile

Managers and staff were awesome, made it a really fun hostel to stay at.

A great hostel to meet people in, really good atmosphere and close to all the bars to go out drinking. The beds are a little rickety with some missing slats but still comfy enough! The kitchen is a good size and well stocked and the living area is great to chill out in.

The house is absolutely beautiful and within walking distance of anything you could want to visit in Valparaiso, breakfast was good, and the beds were extremely comfortable although, what stood out the most were the amazing staff. I have never encountered such friendly people who are willing to go above and beyond what they need to just because they're great people and not because they're expecting compensation. Thank you for everything!

We have been traveling around South America for a few months, and this is one of our least favorite hostels we have stayed at. The kitchen was almost always dirty and most of our food was stolen, even though we followed the hostel protocol in regards to leaving food in the kitchen. There was one sketchy staff member who made my friend and I feel very uncomfortable, and was drunk throughout our entire stay. Overall, I would not recommend this hostel.

This place is great if you want somewhere cheap. And if you dont mind uncomfy beds, cold showers, super late breakfasts, and a general party vibe.

I had a nice stay and met some cool other travellers.quite s afe area,very close to many bars and not far from the turistic spots of valparaiso.

The hostel is above a bar so there is a lot of noise at night. The mattresses on the beds also need to be replaced as you can feel the wooden slats through them. Location is brilliant and close to everything you need.

This is a bit of a party hostel so steer clear if that's not for you. The staff showed us where to go on the Saturday night but breakfast was served an hour late one of the mornings. its not the cleanest hostel I've stayed in - not even sure if they change the sheets each time a new guest arrives...

Great weekend with the hostel team and other hosts

The dorm I was staying in, the door did not close all the way and the lockers looked like you could rip them open. Location was close to things to see but up a local Chilean drinking st so was nervous walking home to hostel. Staff had limited English but very nice and helpful as best they could. Atmosphere was ok but common room was messy. I had a wet patch on my bed and even with a sniff test I couldn't tell what it was and hot water was inconsistent, one shower had a fantastic shower head.

It is such a shame to get a poor review after we have such a great time with you. especially when it is for things that "seem" unideal like the lockers (which we haven`t had trouble with) and the area we are located, which I assure you it is safer than most other areas in our lively city. The doors to the rooms deliberately don`t lock shut as they are communal rooms. We work hard on our english, but it isn`t our first lanuage, but we try for tourits that come to here with no Spanish. chao

This is a really good hostel, the staff is really nice and always ready to help you for anything. The rooms are also well. It is a real nice place to meet people, mainly at the bar. Great atmosphere and really cool staff! A lot of people, but everyone was hanging out in the reception area, and it was nice and quite in the room! My best recommendations, I had a great time.

I enjoyed a lot this hostel. Staff was cool. The manager showed me the city and nightlife. There are so many nice bars in this city.... The best of the hostel were the beds, so big and soft... I totally recommend this place.

I can't fault this place. The staff were really attentive, friendly and knowledgable. I meant to stay for one day but extended to a week. It felt like home away from home- loaded with heaps of fun and a lovely crew of people who are now friends. The location is awesome, I am so glad this isn't a hostel at the top of the hill, (that would be annoying.) This place has a lot of character, it's not a 5 star HOTEL and doesn't try to be, it's warm, friendly and I will be back!

• 29th Jan 2015
  • Austria

This hostel is cheap and in a good location and has breakfast, but it's really dirty, especially the kitchen. If cleanliness is your thing don't stay here. Staff were always sitting around maybe they should hire a cleaner

Much Party, bad beds, but good location, breakfast included and not expensive

Licanantay is a MUST if you are about to visit Valparaiso. The building has a really bohemic style and it is located next to the bars, shops and touristic atraccions.the staff makes everybody feel welcome!!i will definitely come back! thanks guys!!!!

Some people appear to have been unhappy with this place, but I think they have missed the point. It is a REAL HOSTEL with a real homely feel and run by two of the best characters you could wish to meet. Its perfectly safe, theres hot water, fast internet and a great breakfast. I can honestly say its one of the best places I have stayed in South America and without doubt the most characterful. Valparaiso!!!

We had a brilliant time at Licanantay! The HOSTEL had a great vibe, was clean and the owner made sure we didn´t go hungry with a huge breakfast and BBQs in the evening. The bar and living area were a good place to mill around and meet people. Excellent place to stay in Valparaiso.

A nice hostel, located in a 5-10 minute walk from pretty much everything important. The Wi-Fi is fast and the breakfast nice (cereal is nice for a change!). The only real downside is that the hostel is located above a restaurant \ bar which can get really (!) noisy at night.

I had a great time in valparaiso and hostal licanantay was a big part of the reason for it, the staff was really friendly and the people staying there were crazy fun and also really diverse, from all over the world. i would recomend this hostel to anyone passing through valpo