Hostal Mariposas Reviews

234 Salamanca, Valparaiso, Chile

Really nice hostal run by good people. Really enjoyed my time there

• 25th Feb 2015

What a nice place ! The habitation and the common rooms are spacy and there is a so lovely terrasse on the rooftop. The owner, Kent, is a funny guy and if you pour his glass with some wine at night, he will tell you some stories about the time, as some kind of Sinbad the sailor, he was travelling on the 7 seas.

it was just great! we enjoyed our stay a lot! muy buena onda! there is a lot of common space in this hostel - the terrace with a great view just awesome! - and also the rooms are very big. we really recommend this hostel!

The reviews speak for themselves, this place is great. Kent (the owner) is fantastic, all the other people who work / stay in the hostel seem great, the rooftop with hammocks is perfect for relaxing on, and has brilliant views of the city. Rooms and bathrooms all seem good too. The ONLY point to note is the location, which is a little bit out of the way of the main hills and the city itself, but everything you want is still definitely within walking distance! No complaints at all!

We didn't show up as we have changed travel plans. Kent allowed us to cancel the booking though he would not have been obliged to. Thanks ! Nevertheless, deposit of 15% is gone.

After a long day of travelling from Mendoza I was initially a bit underwhelmed by the quirky nature of this place. After 2 nights though I wish I could have stayed longer! It's extremely spacious, you can be as sociable as you like on the terrace or grab some quiet in your own room. Loads of bathrooms and kitchen space. Kent organised live music for us and there is a BBQ every night. My only problem was how tricky it was for me to find - but Valpo is a confusing maze!

Awesome place with a great vibe. We even had a free concert from some amazing musicians.

• 17th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

We had a fantastic time here and kept extending our stay. We stayed at many different hostels but never had this experience where everything was just great/clean/nice and...awesome :) Is it the friendly owner? the cool roof terrace with daily bbq's? the super clean and good bathrooms or the super cool arty architecture of the place? Anyhow: i would definitely recommened this place!!!

On the main bus route, so very easy to get around. Kent was super helpful and a great view from the deck. If you happen to like fishing ask Kent about it. He'll show you some pics of ridiculous trout caught in southern Chile and may even give you a surefire lure! Wish I could have stayed longer.

The hostel is actually a student housing. Only for two months a year it is open for travelers. There are no dorms and LOTS of common space, which is great. It was a great place to stay - nothing to complain about. This is one of the few hostels we would loved to stay longer just because of the hostel.

Seriously the best hostel I have ever stayed at! Kent and the others who are working there are supernice, I made a lot of friends! The view is magnificent. I was only planning on staying for four nights but extended my stay with six more nights. Everything is super clean, the hammocks are great, the roof terrace is lovely. If you are going to Valparaíso, this is undoubtedly your best pick.

Amazing owner and hostel with cheap private single rooms. Awesome facilities. On a big hill a ways from town but would still stay here again because of the positives.

Hostal Mariposa is definately one of the best if not the best hostal i ever stayed in (and i stayed in many hostels) :) there is the great owner kent who has many very interessting stories as he is around sixty and has travelled all over the world and has seen a lot. then there where artists who did a show and could stay for free in exchange and finally an amazing view of valparaíso.

Great Hostel, with very friendly

AMAZING stay at Mariposas. I couldn't have been happier that I chose this hostel...wonderful vibes, people, and an incredible view of Valparaíso from the rooftop of the hostel. Great atmosphere in the hostel--I got to know many of the other guests over a bottle of wine or a steak. Wonderful place for couples, groups, solo travelers, everyone!

Hostal Mariposa was amazing. Clean, spacious rooms. Strong wifi throughout the house. Amazing view of the Pacific Ocean from the hammocks and picnic tables on the terrace. Kent and staff were amazingly hospitable and over delivered on every promise. Also a mark of a great hostel, word of mouth from Kent's guests attracted other great guests which meant my stay ended in an impromptu performance from some Argentine musicians accompanied by a trapeze act! Great place that you won't regret.

Great place to stay - like Valparaiso, the hostel is a labyrinth of rooms and small hangout places. I ended up hoarding the rooftop hammock because of its great view and mood. Kent, the owner, is very helpful and always willing to share his experiences and stories. No dorms available here but it's a plus for me - you can hang out with others on the terrace anyway. Take the art tour offered by the hostel.

The owner (Kent) is a great host so makes you feel at home. Great view but not a central location so you need to get a bus, collectivo or be prepared for a reasonable walk. The multiple kitchens and communal areas are great.

One of the best places I stayed on my travels. Kent knows how to make you feel at home away from home. Highly recommended place to stay.

We loved this authentic hostel and the amazing atmosphere in it. The bbq and the view are terrific. We hope they saw the money we left for the room as there were no one when we had to check out this morning.

View all Valparaiso Bed and Breakfasts