Hostal Mariposas Reviews

234 Salamanca, Valparaiso, Chile

We didn't show up as we have changed travel plans. Kent allowed us to cancel the booking though he would not have been obliged to. Thanks ! Nevertheless, deposit of 15% is gone.

After a long day of travelling from Mendoza I was initially a bit underwhelmed by the quirky nature of this place. After 2 nights though I wish I could have stayed longer! It's extremely spacious, you can be as sociable as you like on the terrace or grab some quiet in your own room. Loads of bathrooms and kitchen space. Kent organised live music for us and there is a BBQ every night. My only problem was how tricky it was for me to find - but Valpo is a confusing maze!

Awesome place with a great vibe. We even had a free concert from some amazing musicians.

• 17th Feb 2015
  • New Zealand

We had a fantastic time here and kept extending our stay. We stayed at many different hostels but never had this experience where everything was just great/clean/nice and...awesome :) Is it the friendly owner? the cool roof terrace with daily bbq's? the super clean and good bathrooms or the super cool arty architecture of the place? Anyhow: i would definitely recommened this place!!!

The hostel is actually a student housing. Only for two months a year it is open for travelers. There are no dorms and LOTS of common space, which is great. It was a great place to stay - nothing to complain about. This is one of the few hostels we would loved to stay longer just because of the hostel.

Amazing owner and hostel with cheap private single rooms. Awesome facilities. On a big hill a ways from town but would still stay here again because of the positives.

Hostal Mariposa is definately one of the best if not the best hostal i ever stayed in (and i stayed in many hostels) :) there is the great owner kent who has many very interessting stories as he is around sixty and has travelled all over the world and has seen a lot. then there where artists who did a show and could stay for free in exchange and finally an amazing view of valparaíso.

Great Hostel, with very friendly

AMAZING stay at Mariposas. I couldn't have been happier that I chose this hostel...wonderful vibes, people, and an incredible view of Valparaíso from the rooftop of the hostel. Great atmosphere in the hostel--I got to know many of the other guests over a bottle of wine or a steak. Wonderful place for couples, groups, solo travelers, everyone!

Hostal Mariposa was amazing. Clean, spacious rooms. Strong wifi throughout the house. Amazing view of the Pacific Ocean from the hammocks and picnic tables on the terrace. Kent and staff were amazingly hospitable and over delivered on every promise. Also a mark of a great hostel, word of mouth from Kent's guests attracted other great guests which meant my stay ended in an impromptu performance from some Argentine musicians accompanied by a trapeze act! Great place that you won't regret.

Great place to stay - like Valparaiso, the hostel is a labyrinth of rooms and small hangout places. I ended up hoarding the rooftop hammock because of its great view and mood. Kent, the owner, is very helpful and always willing to share his experiences and stories. No dorms available here but it's a plus for me - you can hang out with others on the terrace anyway. Take the art tour offered by the hostel.

The owner (Kent) is a great host so makes you feel at home. Great view but not a central location so you need to get a bus, collectivo or be prepared for a reasonable walk. The multiple kitchens and communal areas are great.

One of the best places I stayed on my travels. Kent knows how to make you feel at home away from home. Highly recommended place to stay.

We loved this authentic hostel and the amazing atmosphere in it. The bbq and the view are terrific. We hope they saw the money we left for the room as there were no one when we had to check out this morning.

Great wifi, roof terrace, 2 kitchens and laundry facilities. Only issues were that the owner wasn't there when we arrived so we were unable to check in for a while, and occasionally we were left waiting outside the main door because no one answered the bell. The location had a great view but being on top of a hill meant a big climb after each outing. When we booked we got some helpful travel instructions but the bus driver took us to the wrong place despite us asking him to tell us the stop.

The beautiful view and Kent are the best the best attributes of this host! Everyone was enjoying themselves...

Great Hostel, individually designed by the owner. Many bathroom facilities which are new and clean. Lots of kitchen space. Free laundry. Fantastic view from the roof terrace.

Hostel mariposas is the best hostel we've ever been! The view from the terrace is incredible and the friendly atmosphere makes you feel like at home. The owner can tell you everything you want to know about chile, the city and travelling arround the world. And much more. You will definitly never regret your choice!!! Thx kent!

Interesting, nice place where ou feel free and just enjoy time

I think this is the first time I've ever left an online review for anything, but this place deserves it. Spent more than a week here and it could have easily been longer; almost certainly the best hostel experience I've ever had. Thanks Kent and Jamie!

• 10th Jan 2015