Hostal Providencia Reviews

Vicuña Mackena 92-A, Santiago, Chile

It's an OK hostel but not worth the price. Despite begging staff for the first free room (we'd spent all night at the airport waiting for the bus) there was apparently no way we could check in until after 2pm (=6 more hours waiting to check-in). Our room was small but OK, bathroom had lots of obvious hair in the sink. The next morning we were told to move rooms but they weren't sure where to ("wait in room 1hr"). Eventually they gave me key to an already occupied room - a bit of a farce really.

Decent hostel with helpful staff but the rooms could do with freshening up. Walls were quite grubby.

A great affordable and friendly hostel, located well and with a great atmosphere

• 2nd Feb 2014

The staff was extremely helpful during out trip and they all spoke English. The room and bathroom were clean, as well as all common areas. Breakfast was simple but good. Other people staying at the hostal were friendly and would congregate in the main room. Loved this place and would definitely recommend!

“I stayed with my brother for 3 nights early December 2013. The hostel has a nice atmosphere. The staff was very welcoming but did not give much information on the things to do in this city and were very reluctant to search more information. When asked about certain things, the staffs seemed to rush their answers. During our stay, there was a renovation of the floors at the reception and we weren't told. Our room was at the front so we couldn't access our luggage for nearly 12 hours!!”

The staff is very friendly and is very encouraged to help in every single issue. They speak english. The atmosphere is amazing. Unfortunately was the kitchen not that clean and in the bathroom it smells strange.

My name is Declan Cooney and I am from Ireland. I stayed in Hostel Providencia from Tuesday November 5th until Saturday November 9th. During my four night stay I did not have a Hot Shower or for that matter I could not even wash my face with warm water or shave my face because the two bathrooms outside m room had no runing water. I mentioned this to the staff on Wednesday Morning and an American Girl who works there told me that it would be sorted out and that maybe I should use the Bathrooms.

We found the staff very unhelpful and they could not provide us with basic information we requested. Despite fact there were beds for 140 people there was no atmosphere and no real areas for hanging out to meet others!. There were very few bathrooms for number of people either. It did not have the atmosphere of hostel more like budget hotel.

The only benefit of this hostel is central location. Small dirty bathrooms and very small kitchen shared between a very large number of people, capacity for 140 guests including families with very young children. Overall Very disorganised and disinterested staff, we asked for a recommendation for a nice meal and were sent to a fast food outlet despite plenty of lovely restaurants nearby. No atmosphere or proper place to meet other travellers. I would not call it a hostel.