Hostal Talar Reviews

Pachamama 657, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

Loved this hostel! Great staff and great atmosphere!

Really enjoyed our stay at hostal talar. Friendly and helpful staff especially Alejandro. Market next door and they showed us cheap restaurants nearby which were very good! Only bad thing was location. Quite the hike uphill in the heat from downtown. Also not as cheap as some hostels in village centre but much more tranquil.

• 1st Apr 2014

Best thing about this hostel was the staff - Alejandro in particular was really helpful throughout our stay giving advice on what to do in San Pedro and also on our salt flats trip (even if we didn't go with their conpany!). Great cooking facilities and common area with wifi and a ping pong table. Hostel was kept clean, tidy and secure and although it was a bit further out of town you are only looking at a 10 minute walk maximum.

The hostel is ok, is a little bit far from the center of the town, so if you want to get out for dinner or hang out at night is quite hazardous, if you are a solo female traveler even worst. The place was clean, the price is ok, but I found other hostel with better location, right in the main street and with breakfast and internet include for lower price. So I'll say that compare with other the hostel is overpriced. The Staff was nice most of the time.

• 3rd Mar 2014
  • Dominican Republic

This is five to ten minutes outside the square. There are convenience stores nearby. The only real complaint is about the internet. While you are in the desert and the internet is likely to be spotty, the owners of this establishment will unplug the internet without notice. Generally, during the laid back hours of the afternoon. Otherwise, this hostel is perfectly chill and just fine for the price.

A lovely, colourful, friendly hostel, with great rooms and common areas. Firstly - those who complain that it's far from the centre are lazy. It isn't - a very short walk - and it's about equidistant to the bus station, which is also great. Jessica seems to be getting a bad rep, but she was absolutely lovely and helpful my entire stay. Only bad points are: no lockers, for the security minded... And the wifi really isn't great at all. But a great, enjoyable stay - recommended.

Before staying here I read a few poor reviews about the staff and the hostel in general and was a bit unsure, but with limited options booking last minute in San Pedro I went ahead with it. I have no idea what those bad reviews were about. Everything was absolutely fine, everyone was friendly and on top it has an excellent kitchen. The tour company they use were very professional and knowledgeable. Only downside for me is that there are definitely not enough bathrooms for the number of guests.

Loved this little hostel, the hosts esp Jessica could not have been more friendly or helpful - we booked all our day tours through her - the prices def match or even beat those direct from the places in town and the company she uses are very professional with bilingual guides every time. We also booked a salt flat tour from san pedro to uyuni through her (company as world white travel) and they too were fantastic value for money. Double room beautiful.

Very nice and helpful owners that made sure I had a good stay in san pedro and helped me book tours etc. The rooms and toilets are very clean. Can definitely recomend this place.

Excellente!! This hostel was fantastic, the staff were so friendly and helpful. They went above and beyond to accommodate myself and my boyfriend who was sick and therefore had to keep extending our stay at short notice. Amazing people and the hostel itself has everything you could possibly need in a great location. Would definitely recommend

Great hostel and great people! We loved that it was a little bit out of the center, you can rest at peace coming back from all those exciting tours! Owners and staff are of good counsel for everything there is to do in the region. It's a small family place, friendly and clean. Very good vibe, we loved it, we would have stayed longer and we'll definitely go back if we ever come back to San Pedro de Atacama!

I totally DO NOT recommend this hostal. The owners only stress around, sniffle around in the rooms and control you every minute. There are so many DO NOTs that you start feeling very unconfortable. Furthermore they have a cat, walking through the rooms, sitting on beds and that is quiet bad when you have a cat allergy or when you just do not like animals poouing in your bed.

The cleanest hostal I stayed in during my travels. The beds are very comfy and despite the heat during the day, the rooms are not to hot. Bathroom is very clean. It is a shame that you can not wash clothes here because they would dry within a few minutes. And the laundry service is expensive. Good place to meet other travellers who also like to see things and do not wish to party every night.

Hostel is a bit far from the center but close to the bus station. Okay to stay one or two nights there. One thing that anoyed me is the fact that Jessica, one of the owners, always gives you orders what to do. In general there are a loooot of DONTS that have to be considered in the hostel.

As previously stated by other gusts, the owners (Jessica and Marcello) are indeed very kind and helpful. The hostel isn't exactly in the city center, but it's a short 10 minutes walk, which is far from being a problem. The rooms and bathrooms are always clean, showers are great and the common area allows you to have good integration with other guests. All in all, excellent value for money!

I can recommend this hostel. It is not located in the "center" of the village, anyway it´s just 10 min walking from the main street and also 10-15 min walking to the bus station. The owner was really helpful and nice! If you want to take a tour, you can buy it in the hostel as well for a better price (they have an agreement with one agency, the tours we took were good and recommendable.)

Our double en suite room was clean and spacious. We had fresh clean towels provided. The shower did not run hot and we could not pick up the wifi in the bedroom. The staff were pleasant and helpful. The location is a five min walk out of town and is very well situated for the bus station which can be hard to find but is just round the corner.

Marcello was very helpful with everything we needed, tours, information etc. We didn't meet Jessica but definitely felt her presence with the number of "DO NOT" & "IT IS FORBIDDEN" signs on everything!! The rooms are a nice size & clean but the hostel is a bit out of the way, 10mins to main drag and internet ain't great.

Jessica was helpful and friendly.

I stayed at Talar over a busy holiday weekend (Halloween, Day of the Dead and All Saints Day), and though the hotel was fully-booked, the owners, Marcello and Jessica, were complete saints. They were helpful and sweet, the room was comfy and clean, and I enjoyed my time there. I booked a tour of the Laguna Cejar through the hostel, and the price was reasonable and the accommodations were great. The only downsides were terrible internet quality and location (about 15 min from the center).

View all San Pedro de Atacama Hostels