Hostal Talar Reviews

Pachamama 657, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

The hostel has a nice atmosphere and the owner are very helpful and try to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I would recommend everyone to go there.

• 22nd May 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Paolo and Jess run a great, personal hostel out in the desert. They were more than happy to recommend me things to do in and out of town and always had smiles. The hostel isn't in "downtown" but is a 5 minute walk to everything, and is more tranquil. The wifi and hot water was hit and miss, but the city is out in the middle of nowhere. Overall, a chill and welcoming place to hang out run by an enthusiastic couple.

• 11th May 2015

Avoid. Booked through Hostelworld. The surly manager insisted the 12% deposit I paid on line was for Hostelworld and I had to pay them the full 100% of the room fee despite what it said on the online booking confirmation from Hostelworld. On arrival I booked an extra night and they charged me the publised room rate plus the 12% booking fee for Hostelworld. Why did I let them get away with it? Well travelling alone. Language issues. Felt a bit vunerable.

• 8th May 2015

Good value for money. Missing a common room but patio is very nice to chill in.

Staff are very helpful and friendly. Good range of tours.

Señorita Jessica is very friendly and helpful, giving me good suggestions for activities and tours. When I was there the Hostal was quiet, though she went out of her way to make sure I had a great time. Not a party Hostal but if you're looking for a nice, tranquilo place to base yourself while exploring the Atacama desert this place is a winner.

Great staff, really friendly and hospatible. Felt like home. I got invited to share diner with the owner and staff several times and we went out together. Not situated in the center but in a town like san pedro that's means an extra walk of no more than 10 minutes. Internet connection was bad but I reckon that has more to do with the floods in antofagasta and copiapo at the time of my visit. Internet all over town was bad at that time Cool atmosphere. Great value for money!!!

What to say... It was dirty. The kitchen, especially the fridge was dirty. I didn´t want to put my food inside. The waste was overflowing. Bathroom with no toiletpaper.. After one night, a girl im my room had many bed-bug bites. The guy, who was taking care of the hostel, was not very helpful. Just closed the room and said, she should put her clothes in the sun. After 3 days the owner Jessica arrived and cleaned up everyting. After that, the stay was ok.

Nice hostel in the calm San Pedro. Located close to the bus station and not far from the city. Had nice and cheap place for lunch really close ( chofy). The staff were great and worked with great agencies. The kitchen was fine. Rooms were ok, would be great to have a small fan thought. The only thing was a little bit bad was the cats everywhere and the smell of their poop in the cuming area. Overall nice hostel.

We loved our stay at Talar. Jessica and Paulo are both super friendly and knowledgeable on all the tours and surrounding are. Great stay!

2 bathrooms are not enough for a hostel, you always have to wait to use the bathroom. Also nowhere to hang your things in the bathroom and no towels.

We enjoyed our stay. Close to both city centre and the bus station. Grocery store 3 doors down. Staff were friendly and helpful and spoke English. Tours and excursions pick up from the hostel. Combinations of tours tend to be cheaper, check some agents in town too.

The owner is just insane!!! When i got there i rang the door bell a few times since it took her several minutes to get to the door! After knocking a bit hard she finally comes out SCREAMING at me and accusing me of kicking the door?!?!?! I obviously would never do that! Then she started saying derogatory things about my country of origin out of nowhere!! Since i would not have any of that, she literally kicked me out of the hostel at 20:00 PM!!! Not enough charecters left to say how bad it is!!!

• 15th Jan 2015
  • Israel

The hostel is good overall, staff is very polite and useful, they will help with everything you need!

Let me start by saying I have never left a negative review for a hostel in the past 6 months of traveling through South America. However, my terrible experience at Hostal Tolar left me no choice. The service I received here was the worst I've encountered on the continent. The staff was not only rude but borderline psychotic, yelling at guests for simple mistakes or problems outside their control, offering no help or advice, and in general, creating an incredibly uncomfortable environment.

The agency and the tranportation that the hostel arranged were great! They really take care of you (waking up in 4:00 to see that you got on the minibus!!) The kitchen is excellent and the rooms are fine..the outside is really cool as well. It's nit that close to the center but it's defenetly walkeble (like 7 min) And it's super close to the bus station. The only problem was that the toilets and the flore feels a bit dirty.. Anyway i would recommended on this hostel!

View all San Pedro de Atacama Hostels