Hostal Talar Reviews

Pachamama 657, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

Positive: 10 min by walking to the centre, 3 min to the terminal, 5 houses away to the supermarket, clean and cozy hostel, hot shower, well equipped kitchen, large social area, nice and helpful team, I recommend this hostel because of the service, the owner was really nice to me and without any interest just because she wants to offer a good service. She lent me winter clothes to go to the Tatio Geyser which is really cold...i really appreciated it :) Negative:actually I had a great experience

The place is not bad but not great either. You can't drink in the hostel so if your looking to socialize with other travelers with a few drinks go somewhere else. There are also a lot of rules posted throughout the hostel which is off putting. The place was clean and provides a comfortable atmosphere but the kitchen isn't great if you are looking to cook. Overall I wouldn't suggest to stay here but if you do it is not the end of the world. The lady that owns the place is nice so that's a plus.

• 13th Jul 2015

Hi there, Technically almost non of the hostels here have permission to allow pple to drink alcohol. On certain dates there are inspectors and police checking out, unfortunatelly you came on that date. Now we just added two dartboards and a table football/foosball (taca-taca in chilean spanish) at the backyard soyou surely gonna need a beer to enjoy them better. Thanks for the comment!

Pros: the staff is very nice and helpful! Cons: the cleanliness of the place needs to be improved. I found cat hair on my sheets! Also, the place just seems to be falling apart. It was $12 per night, but for that price I have stayed in much better places.

Hi guys, We have new manager and staff and we´ve been working very hard to fix up the cons you mentioned. Zanahoria (the cat) is only staying at the yard, we painted the place and made it much more comfortable, just check the new pictures! Thanks for the comment!

The hostel has a nice atmosphere and the owner are very helpful and try to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I would recommend everyone to go there.

Owner Jessica is unfriendly!Many rules like in bootcamp!Kitchen is locked with locker at 10pm. My expirience:Have allergie against cats,they have plenty but didnt mentiond on line. Asked at 1. evening to check out earlier than the booked 3 nights.Told me no worries, just put bags on the side and no problem to check out later than 11 am (i already booked a tour for next morning).Next day they tried to charge the 2. night because of late check out and packed bags in wrong corner.Police came!

Paolo and Jess run a great, personal hostel out in the desert. They were more than happy to recommend me things to do in and out of town and always had smiles. The hostel isn't in "downtown" but is a 5 minute walk to everything, and is more tranquil. The wifi and hot water was hit and miss, but the city is out in the middle of nowhere. Overall, a chill and welcoming place to hang out run by an enthusiastic couple.

Avoid. Booked through Hostelworld. The surly manager insisted the 12% deposit I paid on line was for Hostelworld and I had to pay them the full 100% of the room fee despite what it said on the online booking confirmation from Hostelworld. On arrival I booked an extra night and they charged me the publised room rate plus the 12% booking fee for Hostelworld. Why did I let them get away with it? Well travelling alone. Language issues. Felt a bit vunerable.

Hi there, First of all, 12% deposit you pay when you book goes to Hostel World. We charged you the 88% of your reservation as you and I can check through the receipt. We did charge you 100% fee for the extra night you stayed, we even had give you a discount price as you insisted in only paying the same money you paid at the arrival (88% of the night) I dont think you felt vulnerable as you were drinking beer when we talked. Anyways I appreciate your comment.

Chile isn´t cheap, and San Pedro is the worst offender - Hostal Talar was the cheapest hostel we could find but it faired better than that. The two who run the hostel were very nice and tried to accomodate us as best as possible. We booked a tour to the Luna Valley through them and speaking to others who had also booked the same tour we seemed to get a very commendable price. The dorm was fine but the table tennis table was warped beyond pretty much any use.

Good value for money. Missing a common room but patio is very nice to chill in.

Staff are very helpful and friendly. Good range of tours.

Señorita Jessica is very friendly and helpful, giving me good suggestions for activities and tours. When I was there the Hostal was quiet, though she went out of her way to make sure I had a great time. Not a party Hostal but if you're looking for a nice, tranquilo place to base yourself while exploring the Atacama desert this place is a winner.

View all San Pedro de Atacama Hostels