Hostal Talar Reviews

Pachamama 657, San Pedro de Atacama, Chile

The place is not bad but not great either. You can't drink in the hostel so if your looking to socialize with other travelers with a few drinks go somewhere else. There are also a lot of rules posted throughout the hostel which is off putting. The place was clean and provides a comfortable atmosphere but the kitchen isn't great if you are looking to cook. Overall I wouldn't suggest to stay here but if you do it is not the end of the world. The lady that owns the place is nice so that's a plus.

• 13th Jul 2015

Pros: the staff is very nice and helpful! Cons: the cleanliness of the place needs to be improved. I found cat hair on my sheets! Also, the place just seems to be falling apart. It was $12 per night, but for that price I have stayed in much better places.

The hostel has a nice atmosphere and the owner are very helpful and try to make your stay as comfortable as possible. I would recommend everyone to go there.

Owner Jessica is unfriendly!Many rules like in bootcamp!Kitchen is locked with locker at 10pm. My expirience:Have allergie against cats,they have plenty but didnt mentiond on line. Asked at 1. evening to check out earlier than the booked 3 nights.Told me no worries, just put bags on the side and no problem to check out later than 11 am (i already booked a tour for next morning).Next day they tried to charge the 2. night because of late check out and packed bags in wrong corner.Police came!

Paolo and Jess run a great, personal hostel out in the desert. They were more than happy to recommend me things to do in and out of town and always had smiles. The hostel isn't in "downtown" but is a 5 minute walk to everything, and is more tranquil. The wifi and hot water was hit and miss, but the city is out in the middle of nowhere. Overall, a chill and welcoming place to hang out run by an enthusiastic couple.

Avoid. Booked through Hostelworld. The surly manager insisted the 12% deposit I paid on line was for Hostelworld and I had to pay them the full 100% of the room fee despite what it said on the online booking confirmation from Hostelworld. On arrival I booked an extra night and they charged me the publised room rate plus the 12% booking fee for Hostelworld. Why did I let them get away with it? Well travelling alone. Language issues. Felt a bit vunerable.

Chile isn´t cheap, and San Pedro is the worst offender - Hostal Talar was the cheapest hostel we could find but it faired better than that. The two who run the hostel were very nice and tried to accomodate us as best as possible. We booked a tour to the Luna Valley through them and speaking to others who had also booked the same tour we seemed to get a very commendable price. The dorm was fine but the table tennis table was warped beyond pretty much any use.

Good value for money. Missing a common room but patio is very nice to chill in.

Staff are very helpful and friendly. Good range of tours.

Señorita Jessica is very friendly and helpful, giving me good suggestions for activities and tours. When I was there the Hostal was quiet, though she went out of her way to make sure I had a great time. Not a party Hostal but if you're looking for a nice, tranquilo place to base yourself while exploring the Atacama desert this place is a winner.

Great staff, really friendly and hospatible. Felt like home. I got invited to share diner with the owner and staff several times and we went out together. Not situated in the center but in a town like san pedro that's means an extra walk of no more than 10 minutes. Internet connection was bad but I reckon that has more to do with the floods in antofagasta and copiapo at the time of my visit. Internet all over town was bad at that time Cool atmosphere. Great value for money!!!

the couple that owns the place were really nice people ! i liked the hostel ! its perfect for budget travellers, in atacama u cant find anything for that price in downtown... i recommend !

What to say... It was dirty. The kitchen, especially the fridge was dirty. I didn´t want to put my food inside. The waste was overflowing. Bathroom with no toiletpaper.. After one night, a girl im my room had many bed-bug bites. The guy, who was taking care of the hostel, was not very helpful. Just closed the room and said, she should put her clothes in the sun. After 3 days the owner Jessica arrived and cleaned up everyting. After that, the stay was ok.

View all San Pedro de Atacama Hostels