Hostal Varayoc Reviews

Av Hermanos Ayar 803, Machu Picchu, Machu Picchu, Peru

We arrived during black-out. Nobody showed up to pick us up at the train station (maybe they couldn't have seen our e-mail?) so it was hard to find the place with no electricity in the streets. Afterwards, we discovered it was actually close from the station. We were given a room and a lamp. Two persons tried to enter our room during the night, really stressful. A lovely granny made us basic breakfast at 4.30am. Good shower, no wifi (black-out) and the best bed we have had in Perou.

The location was perfect - two minute walk to catch the bus that takes you to Machu Pichu. Other than that, this place wasn't great. The staff was nice, but didn't speak any English. We reserved a room with a double bed, but instead got two singles. The walls are paper thin so you can hear people from other rooms and on the street. We were supposed to get breakfast, but never specified a time so that never happened.

Our room didn't have a toilet seat. The proprietor's son laughed about this and didn't offer to fix it. When it hadn't been fixed the second day, the son said this was because we had taken our key and he couldn't get in. Minutes later he opened our friend's room with a pass key, so this obviously wasn't true. We took our keys because there was usually no one at the desk and the street door was open. The television didn't work and people were up and down stairs at all hours of the night.

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Couple, 41+

This hostel is in a good location. My room had an excellent view of the rapids coming down the mountain. It is surrounded by restaurants, a block from the bus and train station, and a 10 min walk to the Hot Springs. The front desk was very kind and the breakfast was bread and jam with your choice of eggs on the side. All served with tea and juice. I very relaxing stay after the 4 day Inca trail and they had hot showers with good water pressure. I highly recommend!

• 8th Sep 2014

Varayoc is super!! The staff is really nice, and somebody waited for us with a sign at the train to take us back to the hostel. The breakfast is terrific, offered from 4am onward with eggs and fresh juice. Rooms are comfortable with cozy beds and a great shower. Close to everything in Aguas Calientes (but then, it's tiny). Provided all the information you need re: buses to Macchu Picchu. WiFi signal is strong. Only downside is that noise travels, so can be kind of noisy at night and in the AM.

This place was great, the location was great - very close to the train station - the trains don't run at night or that early to be a problem - better yet it's right by the bus stop for Machu Picchu which is choice for getting to Machu Picchu early. Additionally they offer breakfast at 4am! Which means you can eat before going to Machu Picchu. These owners were also nice enough to let my boyfriend and I print out plane tickets for the next day which was very, very nice of them. No bed bugs!

• 15th Aug 2014

staff were very helpful. Use if the kitchen would have made the stay more convenient as food is expensive in the town. Wifi was great and worked in the room.

The Hostal Varayoc is a great place to stay in Aguas Calientes. the owners are attentive and waited for us in the train station. The hostel are simple but very comfortable. Also, the staff ask you the departure hour to Macchu Pichu to prepare your breakfast. In our case, we took the excellent breakfast at 4:30am!!! I definitely recommend this hostal.

Please recognize Edison Ramirez for his excellence in customer service. He went the extra mile and was very helpful during our stay. Even when we were walking out the door, he gave us great tips and pointers for the rest of our trip in Cuzco. Thanks for everything Edison!

• 14th Jul 2014

Great location next to the bus pickup to Machu Picchu. Extremely helpful and friendly staff. Go in with a budget mindset and you will be very pleased.

• 9th Jul 2014

I'm not sure if this hostel even exists. I was met at the train station by a woman with a sign with my name. I followed her back to the hostel where she spoke to me in Spanish. I had already been in Peru for 11 days at this point and my Spanish isn't great, but I managed to get around. I had no idea what she was saying. She wrote down the amount I still had to pay, and I paid and quickly left for Machu Picchu. The receipt she gave me said "Hostal Kcuychy" at the top. I ended up leaving.

• 9th Jul 2014

The stay here was wonderful. The owner's picked us up from the train station. There were hot showers. They made hot breakfast whenever you requested so you can get to Machu Picchu at a good time. The only negative was they did not store our bags in a secure location after we checked out.

Noisy, but decent if you intend to stay only one night (tipically if you intend to wake up early to go to the Macchu Pichu). Note that the staff prepared us a breakfast at 4:30 am!

Great stay for the money. AMAZING BREAKFAST and fantastic, caring staff. The only thing I would change is that people getting up early in the morning (as early as 4:30-5:00) can be quite loud in the stairwell and hallway, enough that it woke me up, and I am not a light sleeper. I would maybe have some sort of quiet hours or signs up asking residents to keep their voices down until a certain time. I would definitely stay at Varayoc again!

• 22nd Jun 2014

We stayed one night and we were pleasantly surprised! We were picked up at the train station, and helped to the hostel through the crazy market. Also the location is unbeatable. Right outside is the bus to Machu Picchu and the centre of the village is a few steps away! Brilliant!

When arrived at the station we spoted a a guy holding a sign whith the name of two other people and the name of the hostel. When we got close he said...I thought you guys had canceled. And we didnt...than he lead us to another place that we didnt knew about and left us there to stay. Luckly it was the same price and the place was good.

Great location for early trip to Macchu Picchu. Near bus stop. Staff will pick you up from train station. Facilities very basic but adequate. Hot water for showers run out quickly.

This is the perfect hostel if you plan to wake up early and catch the bus to Machu Picchu, which is one block away. Heads up, this also means you may be woken up by tourists or buses at 4:30 in the morning. The fantastic homemade breakfast helped us get going though and when their credit card machine wouldn't work, they let us leave our bags and pay when we got back from MP, when someone was there who could operate it. Comfortable beds and no problems with hot water.

Great staff.

The owner was very nice, came to the train station to pick up even the hostel is only 2 minutes away, he made the breakfast at 4:30 to accommodate us early departure to Machu Picchu although we told him we don't need breakfast, he even made fresh juice, we stored our luggage there when we went to MP. They were very friendly and the location cannot be better, 2 minutes from train station and 1 minute to bus station.

• 13th May 2014