Hostel 639 Reviews

639 Harrow Road, London, England

This hostel is not value for money. (1) very noisy main road location. Also it is not sound proof. (2) mattresses worn out and old. With disturbing spring/coils. (3) shower in room very small. No other showers on the floor. (4) kitchen are self catering and very tiny. No tea bags, coffee, or even hot water cattle in upstairs kitchens. No cutleries, cups, glass etc. All other hostels do have these all. (5) TV lounge too narrow and with no fresh air. (6) cold and slow water in many taps.

• 16th Oct 2014

Dirty and awful bedrooms

• 14th Oct 2014

Dirty, staff weren't very friendly, location wasn't where it was made out to be and the fire alarm kept doing off in the middle of the night... Very annoying! But it was cheap, just wouldn't have wanted to stay more than 1 night.

When we arrived to the hostel, they said me that they changed to other hostel because there arent spaces, but I think that must said before this change. Too I paid breakfast and they said me that de havent got breakfast because there arent. Very very bad.

• 10th Oct 2014
  • Spain

Not clean at all. Bed linen hasn't been changed at all. Matress were dirty

• 8th Oct 2014

The hostel is quite far away from the centre, although there is a train stop nearby. The hostel is next to the old cemetery and even the hostel itself seems to be like a place for the death. The bed was rather uncomfortable and wifi is not free. Anyway, no one should have high expectations for such price, so overall I would say a good place to sleep for one night.

Very Nice with private shower tidy lot of toiletten I love to stay again its near by the metro kensal green you can choose the room with not near by the road to private from noise just said on the receptionist that you want a quite room with the group of 4 or6 just enjoy with cheap price to stay

• 24th Sep 2014

Lockers would have been fine for a better rating in security. However, it's worth the price and if you are looking for some cheap place for one or two nights which is not to far away from the center, this should be fine.

• 20th Sep 2014
  • All Male Group, 31-40

The hostel is very far. The reception is very confused and messed up. There is no toilet paper in the bathrooms and the staff doesn't seem to clean the rooms after people leave 'em.

• 20th Sep 2014

There were three problems that we faced: 1) No electric light was provided in our room. 2) Tissues missing in toilets for consecutive 2 days. 3) Drinking water was not available, had to buy a bottle every time.

• 19th Sep 2014
  • India

Dirty... D I R T Y !!!! The room had a shower in a corner... Dirty matress, dirty people living in there... Dirty corridor... Dirty common area... God, awful place to stay in.

Loved it! Many thanks to the staff - extremely kind and helpful with everything. Came to Hostel 639 on a same-day booking, after a horrible experience in a central London hostel (see my previous review), and was extremely pleased to find a quiet, clean environment, great helpfulness and a lovely atmosphere. The hostel is right in front of the tube station, greatly connected to central London - a nice common area, clean rooms, and lovely staff. I would definetely recommend this hostel!

most of the staff was unfriendly, in the bathroom was mould, my bed sheets weren't changed and were COMPLETELY dirty (i had to change them myself when i told the staff), the staff did NEVER check my identity when i asked for my laptop which i gave them to look after it, when i checked out after the second night because i couldn't stand it anymore, i didn't get my money back.

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Austria

Would not recommend this place to anyone. Says they take credit card they don't. Make you pay for wifi (if it works!, first 4 days didn't work) other peoples keys opened the door to our room. Not clean at all. Staff don't speak English so not helpful and they don't try to help you at all. Rooms right on the road next to a pub so very noisy all night. Room where the fridge is doesn't open until 9am (if the staff actually turn up then) so you can't get your food until after. It's so dirty!

• 11th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

I got bitten by bedbugs, I had to seek medical attention and spend £20 on medicine !! It got red and swollen all my right arm after 7 bites. I paid £70 for one week which is not bad but when I wanted to extend they asked me for the same bed £17 for a night and I had to stay there until I found a room as I am in University here so I needed to find a room. They never changed the bed sheets, when I showed the reception that I got bitten they told my I`m not the only one! Horrible.

• 10th Sep 2014
  • Romania

It had, instead of what was mentioned on this site, NO breakfast included in the price. You had to pay cash at the arrival (paying with creditcard was no option), it is NOT near Portobello market/Notting hill (in fact it is close to nothing, even Sainsbury's is a 10 minute walk minimum). It was gross, the daily cleaning consisted out of a man (we had a girls' room) bumping into the room who only cleaned the shower (with a spray....). And the people who stay there were mostly.... really weird.

Staff should be more friendly in serving customer.

The loud televisions are ruining the atmosphere. The staff is not very helpful (they don't seem to know London, or the neighbourhood, nor do they seem to care about anything or anyone.) The fact that you have to pay for towels, and breakfast, and wifi, and basically anything else is just silly.

Basic but value for money

The best thing of this hostel is its location, very close to the metro and the center. The building is very old and dirt. The cleanliness is very poor in all the hostel (bedrooms, WC...), the place is very noisy (the bedrooms are just in front of a road that never sleeps, the doors don't sleep neither...)

• 22nd Aug 2014