Hostel 639 Reviews

639 Harrow Road, London, England

It's been a wonderful experience for me. I think it is a very clean hostel for low cost traveler that needs a place to sleep and a great city to visit: London.

• 19th Aug 2015
  • Romania

You must work for clean the room. You do a maintenance beacuse the bed is broken, no safety.

Worst hostel I've been to and I've been to a lot. Unfriendly staff, not very clean, no free breakfast like advertised, didn't seem to be very safe but very cheap and free wlan which is really good. Seemed to be a hostel more for people who stay kind of longterm ( a spanish-speaking comunity) and not for shortterm like tourists/travellers.

When I arrived they didn't find my booking and put me into another room because the one booked was full. I had cancelled the first night a few days before my arrival and even though they didn't find the booking I had to pay for it. The 'security' staff makes you feel unwanted there. When entering the building I got asked what I wanted there. The 'en-suite bathroom' is just a shower cabin in the dorm. When I left the room after the first night and got back they had moved my stuff off my bed.

• 4th Aug 2015

Worst place I have been in my life. Just don't go there, sharing a room with more people is not a problem, but 1 shower at the same room that you sleep with strangers?, why you didn't put the toilet as well?. I just wait that the room was empty to take my shower, you just don't believe it until you see it. Bad atmosphere and location. The staff was kind of nice, but please don't go there, I would prefer pay a little more of money next time for a better place

Indeed it is value for money. If I leave couple things aside then certainly it was good offer, I suggest administrative team to do check kitchen for the out of order equipment .

• 23rd Jul 2015
  • India

Nice to see them spend a bit of money on the place as it needs it, new mattresses next maybe and a lift that works??

When I arrived, I had to pay £10 for the room key and they don't accept card. In the first room I was placed, an older woman who was quite rude and refused to have the window closed despite the road outside being very loud. I was placed in another room which was a lot better and quieter. I had no problems in this room, however, I was woken every morning at 6:45 as one of the women went to work early. The staff were excellent and helped with any question I had.

• 20th Jul 2015

Security keeps intruding your privacy at any time of the day to check on people, who is in and who is out. They start knocking on the doors and coming into the rooms at 9.00am and can go on until 11pm if they have an issue. They do not change the beds when people stay only one night, just pull the sheets to refresh. Cleaning starts at 10am and can go on until 5.00pm, so you if you want to have a shower or get changed, you have to do it either very early in the morning or very late.

I had a nice stay, period.

• 14th Jul 2015

They gave our room to other people and we couldnt sleep...

• 11th Jul 2015
  • Spain

First of all they should try to have a hostel with no rats and other stinky animals in rooms.

The staff was unfriendly, the place was dangerous and dirty. Roomates were drug addicted street dancers. Backyard is a graveyard, in the front there is a loud street and a drug Park. The are very and its always gets to hot or to cold.Simply the worst hostel i have seen in my whole life! We left one night earlier and slept at the airport which was indeed a thousand times better.

The beds are terrible and dangerous - the beds in my dorm didn't have ladders for the top bunks or sides to prevent you falling out of them. It was fair to assume that my long term dorm mates were also living there because they are homeless or cannot afford private accommodation elsewhere. This is unsanitary and not what hostels or hotels where multiple people are sharing a dorm are supposed to be used for. The staff made no effort to make me feel welcome on arrival.

• 1st Jul 2015
  • Scotland

I booked a bed online using hostel world. Spent 2 hours getting there from Gatwick. Arrived at 11pm only to be told that they overbooked and I couldn't stay there. Th very rude receptionist would not even try to help me find somewhere else to stay. It probably worked out for the best though as I think I was safer sleeping in the park next door then the hostel itself. It is probably the dirtiest looking hostel I have ever seen.

• 1st Jul 2015

This wasn't a hostel, it was hell. I would never go back. It's dirty, the wifi doesn't ever work, like ever. The staff are rude and ignorant. I left my key in my room and asked them to open to door, they didn't have a spare key!!! It's far away from everything but there is a metro station right across the road. I asked if the bus station had lockers, they told me it didn't. When I got there, I saw that it did. This was by far the worst hostel, hell hole, I've ever stayed at.

First of all, when I had to check-in I had to wait for about 15 minutes before the receptionist came. And there was a mouse in my room. An when I had to get my luggage in the security room as I was living an had to get to the airport, I had to wait for about 30 minutes before the security guy came back so I could get my things. It's my third time there, and this time was almost as bad as the first time there, as one of the cleaning guy tried to kiss me, when he cleaned the room.

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Denmark

I have been staying there few times and what i dont like is lack of shower cabins outside rooms, lack of door entry system and people hanging around at the front mostly smokers, but appart from that excellent value for money especially if you travel in groups of six or eight or four or multiple of these so you gonna be given cheap rooms and nobody stranger gonna bother you

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Poland

If you like using frozen food then this is the place as no other hostel has Freezer space like 639, my only criticism is that it is invariably full hence I have to move out today , very relaxed TV room , transport facilities excellent . Great value for money..

Lost a bag while there, full of clothes medication and toiletries.

• 28th Jun 2015