Hostel 639 Reviews

639 Harrow Road, London, England

Nice to see them spend a bit of money on the place as it needs it, new mattresses next maybe and a lift that works??

When I arrived, I had to pay £10 for the room key and they don't accept card. In the first room I was placed, an older woman who was quite rude and refused to have the window closed despite the road outside being very loud. I was placed in another room which was a lot better and quieter. I had no problems in this room, however, I was woken every morning at 6:45 as one of the women went to work early. The staff were excellent and helped with any question I had.

• 20th Jul 2015

Security keeps intruding your privacy at any time of the day to check on people, who is in and who is out. They start knocking on the doors and coming into the rooms at 9.00am and can go on until 11pm if they have an issue. They do not change the beds when people stay only one night, just pull the sheets to refresh. Cleaning starts at 10am and can go on until 5.00pm, so you if you want to have a shower or get changed, you have to do it either very early in the morning or very late.

I had a nice stay, period.

• 14th Jul 2015

They gave our room to other people and we couldnt sleep...

• 11th Jul 2015
  • Spain

First of all they should try to have a hostel with no rats and other stinky animals in rooms.

The staff was unfriendly, the place was dangerous and dirty. Roomates were drug addicted street dancers. Backyard is a graveyard, in the front there is a loud street and a drug Park. The are very and its always gets to hot or to cold.Simply the worst hostel i have seen in my whole life! We left one night earlier and slept at the airport which was indeed a thousand times better.

The beds are terrible and dangerous - the beds in my dorm didn't have ladders for the top bunks or sides to prevent you falling out of them. It was fair to assume that my long term dorm mates were also living there because they are homeless or cannot afford private accommodation elsewhere. This is unsanitary and not what hostels or hotels where multiple people are sharing a dorm are supposed to be used for. The staff made no effort to make me feel welcome on arrival.

• 1st Jul 2015
  • Scotland

I booked a bed online using hostel world. Spent 2 hours getting there from Gatwick. Arrived at 11pm only to be told that they overbooked and I couldn't stay there. Th very rude receptionist would not even try to help me find somewhere else to stay. It probably worked out for the best though as I think I was safer sleeping in the park next door then the hostel itself. It is probably the dirtiest looking hostel I have ever seen.

• 1st Jul 2015

This wasn't a hostel, it was hell. I would never go back. It's dirty, the wifi doesn't ever work, like ever. The staff are rude and ignorant. I left my key in my room and asked them to open to door, they didn't have a spare key!!! It's far away from everything but there is a metro station right across the road. I asked if the bus station had lockers, they told me it didn't. When I got there, I saw that it did. This was by far the worst hostel, hell hole, I've ever stayed at.

First of all, when I had to check-in I had to wait for about 15 minutes before the receptionist came. And there was a mouse in my room. An when I had to get my luggage in the security room as I was living an had to get to the airport, I had to wait for about 30 minutes before the security guy came back so I could get my things. It's my third time there, and this time was almost as bad as the first time there, as one of the cleaning guy tried to kiss me, when he cleaned the room.

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Denmark

I have been staying there few times and what i dont like is lack of shower cabins outside rooms, lack of door entry system and people hanging around at the front mostly smokers, but appart from that excellent value for money especially if you travel in groups of six or eight or four or multiple of these so you gonna be given cheap rooms and nobody stranger gonna bother you

• 29th Jun 2015
  • Poland

If you like using frozen food then this is the place as no other hostel has Freezer space like 639, my only criticism is that it is invariably full hence I have to move out today , very relaxed TV room , transport facilities excellent . Great value for money..

Lost a bag while there, full of clothes medication and toiletries.

• 28th Jun 2015

Even if it costs 1 pound per night dont go there!

This was a good cheap and cheerful hostel. I'm a student who needed to stay somewhere cheap for just one night and Hostel 639 was just what I was looking for. Everything was pretty basic and it could be a bit noisy with the road outside but so close to the centre of London and only £16pp (4 person dorm) was really cheap. I wouldn't stay there longer than a couple of nights but as a cheap overnight stop, it's not bad.

• 20th Jun 2015

Pelase do not stay here. The room I had to stay in (6 bedroom female) had 4 ladies probably in their 50's who were living there! This is not a hostel for travelers. I felt really insecure leaving anything there and sleeping with 4 women who came in and out of the room at one, two, three o clock in the morning. Horrible experience. Please stay somewhere else even if you have to pay a little more. I hate following reviews but this time I should have believed what other people said about this place

The location was good, but that's about it. Before walking into this place we felt unsafe, everyone starred at us and seemed to be on drugs including the staff. It was incredibly sketchy the whole atmosphere, even one pf the cleaning persons made inappropriate comments to us. We were so dissastisfied we decided to stay at the airport. Entering the room, it did not apear to have been cleaned beforehand.. there was a half empty water bottle, the shower was uncleany, the sheets smelled. YUCK!

The environment is so dirty, and noisy! There's no escalator so we have to carry our luggages up to 4th floors. Anyway, the toilet is so dirty and very small!

We visited Hostel 639 with our class for 4 nights. When we arrived we found an abandoned slip in one of our rooms. The other were perfectly cleaned. At the beginning of our stay, the toilets were in a poor condition, but they improved these issues during the week. For a school-class it was ok to stay there. The staff was helpful and friendly.

• 16th Jun 2015