Hostel 639 Reviews

639 Harrow Road, London, England

Room was on the fourth floor. All other floors were fine, the fourth floor was an absolute sauna, sleeping was difficult. Thank god the 25 flies in the room took my mind off the heat. The flies were everywhere in this hostel. Could not get away from the hordes of flies everywhere. Flies, flies and more flies. I was looking for National Geographic as I thought they were doing a documentary on the flies of Hostel 639. If u enjoy sweltering heat and bunking with hordes of flies, then stqy here.

• 16th Jun 2015

Booked a two bed room, got a four bed room instead. It was really small and we were lucky to be only two persons in it, because we couldn't move a lot in it. Beds looked like they could break into pieces any minute. Facilities were along the floor and although they were clean enough they did not work properly - either the flush didn't work or the door couldn't be locked. But since we've only came to the hostel to sleep and were not there during the day, it was okay.

• 12th Jun 2015

By far the worst hostel I've been to. Do NOT come here! The room smelled, everything was filthy and the mattress was antique. We only stayed for one night and felt awful the next day. Breakfast and wifi are not included. The people working there were scary and I was afraid for my safety. Toilets didn't flush properly. I would not recommend this place to anyone.

I was not issued a visa to come to England, and I informed you on time but you never replied, so next time please response to your clients

• 5th Jun 2015
  • Kosovo

The staff is unprofessional and we had to wait for a long time to check in and then to get our luggage from the storage room. The place was being painted so everything was a mess, plus all the furniture is old and in bad conditions. I didn't like the atmosphere of the place. The bedroom itself was clean, but the beds were not comfortable and the duvets they provided us were super old and in horrible conditions. They don't have free wifi, but you can purchase a 24 hour pass, which didnt work.

• 26th May 2015

Absolutely without a doubt the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. Mattresses are nothing more than springs, no ladders on bunk beds, staff were for no reason hostile, unfriendly, and unhelpful. You have to pay for wifi. Credit cards not accepted. Like hot water? Too bad. Almost contracted hypothermia from the shower.. The whole place smells bad. Theres rap music being blasted outside and in the lobby until about 4am. Don't stay here. Well worth the money to find somewhere else

• 21st May 2015

This was a terrible experience, we got a refund and left after 30 mins. The dorm we booked didnt exist (8 bed mixed) and my girlfriend and i were put in a 6 bed "mixed"?????? With 4 other guys. The hostel staffs attitude was "very poor" quoting "you booked through hostelworld, not us"

• 19th May 2015
  • Scotland
  • Mixed Group, 41+

I stayed for a week, wifi worked free six days and the last one they said I had to pay £2 for a day service. Besides, it shouldn't be allowed for people to smoke weed at the hostel doors. I could smell it from my room in the second floor!

It was not so bad as other people had been writing. I stayed with my whole family 8 people. We were only sleeping there, it was alright. The big advantage is hostel is just the on the corner few steps from Kensal Green Station. It was really helpful as we were tired to walk any further. The receptionists were ok. Security checked one of my family member - it is plus, big thumb for you! as they care who enters the premises.

• 28th Apr 2015
  • Poland
  • Mixed Group, 41+

It was a shame that payment could only be made in cash at the front desk. This caused inconvenience, in terms of finding an ATM and resulted in my having to use my credit card to obtain the necessary cash--to my cost, in this instance. The breakfast deal was pleasantly adequate, however.

This place is a dump in every sense of the word. It is old, rundown, cramped and very unclean. The staff are all Spanish immigrants who don't care about you or your stay, just socialsing amongst themselves and smoking. The place attracts some very creepy people who you must sleep with in very close, smelly quarters. Stay away from this place. It is more like a halfway house than a hostel.

I don't recommend this hostel to anyone. The staff is unfriendly & don't understand anything. The hostel is wierd, shower box is in the room. We were lucky we came as a group, just imagine getting a shower in the middle of the room full of strangers. No, thank you! The only good thing about it is the location very near to the tube. But maybe too far from the center of London. Not good at all!!

I had a reservation, had paid the booking fee, got to the hostel at about 10pm. Girl at the reception told me they are booked out I should try and get a room at another hostel which was 30 mins to walk. She didn't seem to be sorry. Offered me to sleep on the couch in the living room if I don't want to go to the next hostel. Next day I talked to one of the managers and she at least gave me a refund.

Cheap, but no electric sockets per bed means not enough security for charging the phone. Uncomfortable beds, some bunk beds didn't even have ladders. Staff comes to check the receipt in the middle of the night, while everyone is sleeping, wakes everyone up. Not exactly what you call great service. Right next to a cemetery, is that there to get me there when I fall off the bunk bed that has no ladders? Nevertheless, cheap, which is why I doubt you would care at all about this comment.

• 31st Mar 2015
  • South Korea

The staff were very helpful.and the residents great But the beds were disgusting, all , the matresses need to be incinerated immediately.Also having ashower in the dormitory is a nuisance because it wakes disturbs everyone else inthe room. Although it says theres a free pick up from Victoria station, They dont do. It.This was the main reason.we chose it.Overall impression - because of the beds,only bit better than sleeping on the street.

• 31st Mar 2015
  • Wales

Did not feel safe in this hostel, barely slept and cancelled the rest of my stay

• 30th Mar 2015

Bad one!

Arrived at 11pm. Was told to wait in waiting area to check in. Still waiting 25 mins later so I walk back in to reception and all of the staff are just standing around talking.. it took another 15 mins for the receptionist to get everything in order. We got a 6 bed dorm which was ridiculously cramped. the shower's in the room with no lock on it so i would not feel comfortable in a mixed dorm. The kitchen looks like it is barely cleaned and there are no utensils avaliable. WORST HOSTEL IVE BEEN 2

This was the most uncomfortable hostel I've ever stayed in. Not only were the rooms dirty (the shower in mine smelled so badly, we had to have the windows open constantly), but the staff was unfriendly and completely unorganized. My room was taken when I arrived, so I was put in a different one, but only after the staff basically went room to room checking if there was an empty spot...shouldn't they have that recorded somewhere? Lots of older transient men in the hostel, and did not feel safe.

I have no interest in visiting this place again. Extremely rude staff and a very ordinary experience over all. Not worth my time or effort.

• 23rd Mar 2015