Hostel 639 Reviews

639 Harrow Road, London, England

The reception staff was good but a security man woke me up by knocking at my door at one in the morning and said I should leave the hostel.

The entire hostel are containing people like black-market labour, refugees or illegal immigrants. Definitely not going to spend another night here, you will find pay that £5-10 extra for a better hostel worth if you have ever slept here once.

• 24th Jan 2015
  • Hong Kong

The reception staff was good but a security man knocked at my door at one in the morning and said I should leave the hostel. I did not like that.

It was the first time for me in a hostel where you have to rent the things you need to cook, but for the rest, the place its ok, very clean and near of a underground station and few buses. Although an elevator would be a lot of help when you think that the place has 4 floors.

The staff are rude and unwelcoming. Their booking system is non existent and their organizational skills are poor.Staff allow friends to use internet free whist paying guest wait and upon arrival at the hostel you are welcomed by "Wait in the other room I am not booking in now". The threadbare duvets are worn and thin ;totally unsuitable for the British winter .months. The rooms may be cheap but politeness and manners need not be!

• 22nd Jan 2015
  • Wales

Horrible horrible place, booked three nights stayed one, wifi and breakfast are not free, 'ensuite' is a dirty blacked out shower in the corner, bunks have no shower, security is terrible and everything is dirty.

I emailed to ask what kitchen facilities there were and they said they had a microwave, however on arrival there was no microwave to be seen. They also don't have a kettle. We ordered a cup of tea from downstairs for £1.30 which included a half full cup and powdered milk. Hostelworld advertised the Hostel as having free breakfast and free wifi, bot of these you actually had to pay for. Cleaners came into the room unannounced everyday whether you were in the room or not.

• 5th Jan 2015

I only stayed 1 night in this hostel but it was quite bad. They are not organised at all, we had to change our room because they thaught I had booked for 1 person for 2 night but I had booked for 2 persons for 1 night. There was also a man in the room (it was supposed to be a female only dormitory). And it wasn't very clean

The place is not nice, but it's a good place for the price you pay. The receptionists were always nice, but there were 6 our more people trying to check-in or check-out that it takes too long (45 minutes) to get your room. It's far from the center but really closed to the underground station (almost in front of it). P.S:You have to PAY for the internet. It's not free.

This hostel was the worst hostel ever. I stayed the hostel on the new year's day. We didn't have any choice so, this was our the only option. But, It was awful. We couldn't find any shower facilities. Even in toilets, there was no hand wash. It was too dirty, cold and security was awful. Location is good.

• 31st Dec 2014
  • South Korea

Entire hostel is dark and shabby, run by foreigners of unknown origin. Personal items went missing while we were away, with no luck of recovering them. Communities inside and outside the hostel are both unsafe, and there is no nearby free cash machine.

Loads of reviews here, almost all of them including words like "dirty, rude staff, dangerous, noisy", along with an endless stream of words that just make the hostel sound like a cross between a homeless shelter and a squat...and its all true. Yes, its cheap, but the place attracts very shady characters, who will turn on the light in the middle of the night and make noise as you are trying to sleep, it really makes you feel insecure. You will regret not spending more and staying somewhere else.

There is few staff for many people. We can make check in 14:00 but they leave all of us around 16:00 they do not tespect the order how we arriave. Security staff is rude. They do not have wi-fi. Breakfast is fine (toast, milk, juice..). The shower is included in the room but with out privacy. Is easy to arriave by undergound is the most value thing. The toilets are not clean.

The place is horrible... A lot of weird people. The atmosphere is awful. We had two days there, but we stay just one. In the room is just a little place to take a shower and it is not possible to block. The police went there at midnight because a problem with one of the guests. We heard the police passing by twice during the night. We heard people screaming in our corridor, so we stayed locked in our room scared. Just run away from this place!!!

• 29th Dec 2014

Very good place. I recommend at all.

Very bad condition of living, you need to pay for everything in that hostel (towel, key, lugages room, internet ...) kitchen was open just from 10 am to 8 pm after that they were closing it. You need to pay if you want to use their cooking stuff I can say from far that was the worse hostel in which I have been in my hole life and also the most expensive one!

• 27th Dec 2014
  • Romania

The hostel was not what it was supposed to be. There is no breakfast included. The shower was an improvisation, although hot. There was no organization with regards to the people coming in and out the hostel. The kitchen is very small and limited. That is a very inexpensive hostel close to an underground / overground station, but you can't expect comfort and a calm atmosphere.

one day I came in the evening and my room was clean meaning my things were nowhere to be found. When I went down to reception they knew nothing about it and there was a security guard who spoke no English. Later I found my stuff they had moved it as they wanted me to change room. they did not put a note on my door to change room early in the morning but they put a notice after I had left...

• 22nd Dec 2014

It caters to a certain 'clientel', noisy, esp at night. we paid 40 pounds per night for twin share, left after 2 nights due to atmosphere a little weird - plus a guy tried twice to come into our room - once being in the middle of the night. when we left they did not even ask why- we went onto central london and paid 55 pound for 4 star accom per nite - worth the extra 15 pound per nite.

• 22nd Dec 2014
  • New Zealand

Only stayed one night. I was able to get some sleep, and left with all my belongings. There was no soap in the bathrooms on my floor, or the next 4 floors down. The pillow was of a strange shape and consistency. I would have felt more comfortable if I wasn't travelling alone.