Hostel 639 Reviews

639 Harrow Road, London, England

Dirty... D I R T Y !!!! The room had a shower in a corner... Dirty matress, dirty people living in there... Dirty corridor... Dirty common area... God, awful place to stay in.

Loved it! Many thanks to the staff - extremely kind and helpful with everything. Came to Hostel 639 on a same-day booking, after a horrible experience in a central London hostel (see my previous review), and was extremely pleased to find a quiet, clean environment, great helpfulness and a lovely atmosphere. The hostel is right in front of the tube station, greatly connected to central London - a nice common area, clean rooms, and lovely staff. I would definetely recommend this hostel!

most of the staff was unfriendly, in the bathroom was mould, my bed sheets weren't changed and were COMPLETELY dirty (i had to change them myself when i told the staff), the staff did NEVER check my identity when i asked for my laptop which i gave them to look after it, when i checked out after the second night because i couldn't stand it anymore, i didn't get my money back.

• 13th Sep 2014
  • Austria

Would not recommend this place to anyone. Says they take credit card they don't. Make you pay for wifi (if it works!, first 4 days didn't work) other peoples keys opened the door to our room. Not clean at all. Staff don't speak English so not helpful and they don't try to help you at all. Rooms right on the road next to a pub so very noisy all night. Room where the fridge is doesn't open until 9am (if the staff actually turn up then) so you can't get your food until after. It's so dirty!

• 11th Sep 2014
  • New Zealand

I got bitten by bedbugs, I had to seek medical attention and spend £20 on medicine !! It got red and swollen all my right arm after 7 bites. I paid £70 for one week which is not bad but when I wanted to extend they asked me for the same bed £17 for a night and I had to stay there until I found a room as I am in University here so I needed to find a room. They never changed the bed sheets, when I showed the reception that I got bitten they told my I`m not the only one! Horrible.

• 10th Sep 2014
  • Romania

It had, instead of what was mentioned on this site, NO breakfast included in the price. You had to pay cash at the arrival (paying with creditcard was no option), it is NOT near Portobello market/Notting hill (in fact it is close to nothing, even Sainsbury's is a 10 minute walk minimum). It was gross, the daily cleaning consisted out of a man (we had a girls' room) bumping into the room who only cleaned the shower (with a spray....). And the people who stay there were mostly.... really weird.

Staff should be more friendly in serving customer.

The loud televisions are ruining the atmosphere. The staff is not very helpful (they don't seem to know London, or the neighbourhood, nor do they seem to care about anything or anyone.) The fact that you have to pay for towels, and breakfast, and wifi, and basically anything else is just silly.

Basic but value for money

The best thing of this hostel is its location, very close to the metro and the center. The building is very old and dirt. The cleanliness is very poor in all the hostel (bedrooms, WC...), the place is very noisy (the bedrooms are just in front of a road that never sleeps, the doors don't sleep neither...)

• 22nd Aug 2014

Bad hostel. Many people in the room live there for long time. Every their goods and clothes are around the room and on my bed. No ladder to go to top bed,need to climb. I don't want to stay in this hostel again.

Nice hostel, well located close to the metro station. The staff was very nice and we appreciated to have a shower and a sink in our room. Perfect for the price :)

• 15th Aug 2014

I would strongly advise against this place. We booked it but it was so bad we didn't sleep there and slept on a friends floor instead. It took us an hour before we were "allowed" to check in. We were treated like naughty children being told what to do and how to behave (I'm 41). The room was filthy we asked for clean sheets which took another hour to arrive then the man who brought them said the dirty sheets weren't that bad just remove the old hairs and flick them on the floor and it would b OK

• 12th Aug 2014
  • Wales

the room is small and the shower is directly in it but if you just stay for the nights here its okay. beware of your stuff and always wear them with you because you never know. the breakfast is okay for 1,5 £ for each person. you get something to drink and toast withjam or chocolat cream. all in all it was okay so i can tecommend it to people who want to save money and dont expect to live luxury.

showers are in the room and sometimes there was no water left

Bad place to be !! Don't stay there if you have conditions to afford other hostel !! The place is a messy and completely dirty at all !! The worst thing is that the wifi does not work !!

Easy to get to (kensal green just around the corner); shower in the room you have to like; toilets were clean on second floor; room was ok, the beds are older so they are used. Over All the hostel was much better than the last time!

We stayed in a 8 person bedroom but there really should have only been 6 beds max. There was hardly any space to move around. Plus the beds are bunked without any ladders and it is difficult to climb onto the top bunk without disturbing the person sleeping on the bottom. I thought that for a 8 person bedroom it was overpriced.

Wifi was free for 3 days over the weekend and then without notice they wanted 3 pounds for internet.. DO NOT GO HERE... DO NOT ENDORSE THEM...

• 26th Jul 2014

Guys please be carefull!!!I dont know even how to discribe what a horror house it was!its so dirty!!!!!but when I open the door to my room I was in a panic!windows just on the busy road entrance!!!LINEN IS NOT CHANGED!shower(not shower room)just in the tiny room!and when one tramp women come back from somewhere and at 24.00 put the light on and start to wash herself,its allready became to much!!!I was waiting for 7.00 in the morning just to run from there!