Hostel 639 Reviews

639 Harrow Road, London, England

My sister and I were double charged and had to pay for 4 beds! We had booked 2 nights but because that it would cost 77 pounds and the hostel was definitely NOT worth that, we said that we just wanted 1 night. They charged us a weird amount of 38 pounds. The next morning we were told to check out at 10 in the morning and wait for the manager. We waited an hour. The staff were discussing the situation in spanish, which one of US understood and found that they were trying to find a way to cheat us

• 8th Jul 2014
  • Denmark

I stayed here for a night and found it OK. The hostel is located in front of tube station and you can get there very easily. The female dorm was also OK though I found a lot of rubbish under my bed. Most members of staff were not friendly nor helpful, and kind of rude to guests I'm afraid.

Decent place for the amount of money you're paying but very dodgy

• 5th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

The place is quite terrible, but the price is also very cheap. The shower is a sort of box in the room which can be very uncomfortable with strangers. Besides the oddities in the rooms, there are two serious issues: Security and location. There are many jobless practically living there, so be careful with all your belongings (even clothes). The place is about 30 min by tube to main attractions, so you will spend some pounds to get there. Think twice before staying here!

At the Hostal 639, my friend and I had the worts experience of all.

• 4th Jul 2014
  • Mexico

I didn't get to stay at the place dued to a mistake, however when I was there I had a good nap in their lounge room. I really wish they could had staffs who are more pleasant than moody.

This hostel was pretty loud, and seemed to be quite a party place. I was just sleeping, so really if you're up for a bit more fun this would be a good place.

• 3rd Jul 2014

I couldnt expect much for what I've paid, but I think honesty is fundamental, even if you charge 10 euros per night. Just a few tips for future customers..first of all bring your own sleeping bag, because all the beds come with sheets but they're definitely not clean. Secondly, breakfast is cheap but not free. Tip for the hostel, make sure your cleaners are not all as rude as the one I met. Charging little money doesn't imply yelling at guests for taking too long in the toilet. Not going back.

Just nice!

• 27th Jun 2014
  • Poland

It is not the hostel of typical English style. You may find the graffiti in the walls a bit strange but it shouldn't be the problem at all if you don't mind. The location is a bit far from the city but you can find stores by walking a few miles, or dine at the restaurant attached. It may not be the typical choice but I think it's worth the money.

Receptionist was extremely rude talking to me like I was an idiot. I understand the job can be stressful when multiple people check in all at one time, but its the hostels fault that they do all bookings on pen and paper and have no electronic system in place. The receptionist with brown hair female was very abrupt looked extremely tired and didn't want to answer any of my questions. The quality of the room was the worst I have ever seen and I have been to some absolute dumps in my time.

Stay away. Toilets are filthy and always out of paper and soap. Beds are slightly cleaner. Staff are extremely unhelpful and unfriendly. Facilities suck - you have to pay for wifi or to use their computers. There is no front-desk security; anybody could walk in off the street and the locks on the dorm doors are flimsy and seem insecure. The hostel's two redeeming features are its price and its proximity to the tube. It's half an hour from the city centre, though.

• 24th Jun 2014

The wifi is only available at the reception not in the room, the shower in the room is good but it is small. well i was lucky at that time since i booked shared room for 8 and due to some problem regarding the room the manager gave me room for 4 ( which i wanted since there were 4 of us ) and the price still the same as 8 shared room! hehe!! the location is in zone 2 and a bit far since during my trip to london im more prone to visit places in zone 1.

• 21st Jun 2014
  • Malaysia

This hostel is exactly what you pay for. I booked a private room for me and two friends and got what I paid for...beds and a shower. It's not perfect in any way and I couldn't stay there for more than a couple of days but the staff seem friendly and the bathrooms clean and well managed. I would recommend if you wanted a longer stay to book elsewhere but for a couple of nights it was all I could want. The only major downside was the shower and the beds are in the same room.

• 18th Jun 2014

I wouldn't stay there again, it smelled sweaty at best, seemed rather unclean in the shared areas (I wouldn't have eaten there) and didn't feel safe due to the clientele. At night they hung around at the bottom of the stairs and doorways. That said I now can judge what to expect for that price in London and spend more!

• 15th Jun 2014

Facilities were fine and it was reasonably clean. Had a shower en-suite, though it sometimes made scary gurgling noises.

• 13th Jun 2014

The staff were not friendly and the atmosphere of the hostel is pretty average, not much fun at all. Our sink was clogged and filled with water that reeked when we arrived. The shower is in the room with nowhere to get dressed or dry yourself. The area that the hostel is in is pretty dodgy, and the only plus is the train station across the road. We are backpackers and will not be going back.

The hostel needs a deep refurbishment, I slept in a room which window was stuck open, so that I could hear all buses, cars, lorries driving by late in the night and early in the morning.

It is such a horrible place, bed sheet was certainly not changed from the previous guest, the place filled with "homeless" kind long-tearm-stay guests, horrible shower!! I stay hostels during my travels all the time, this was the first time I felt like commenting something bad,and I really want to let everyone know that avoid this hostel. Although the price seems to be the lowest, but the quality you get is way lower than what the money worth for. I tried 13 pound per night hostel, it was great

Very cheap but u pay for what u get. Refunded us when we decided to leave so not too bad.