Hostel AVA Reviews

Trubarjeva 5, Ljubljana, Slovenia

We came with high expectations from looking at the pictures on here. However we were disappointed when we saw our room as it was nothing like the picture. Room in great need of painting and windows needed cleaning. It was not what we expected at all. However the location is perfect and we couldn't fault the staff

THIS HOSTEL SITS ON A THRONE OF LIES Reception open from 8am-11pm- no one arrives for check in until 2pm and go home at 10pm Kitchen facilities from 8am- Went to use kitchen at 9:25, was not open Pillows are grim, showers are not held on to wall, is like washing down a car more than a shower, very uncomfortable open plan mixed gender showers with only small curtain. Literally the only things going for this place is that the location is great and the wifi was decent the two days we suffered.

This hostel has the best price-quality ratio: location is excellent, rooms are just typical hostel rooms, there is enough toilets and showers, price is cheap and the staff is the best. The mattresses are not my favorite but for couple of nights they are just fine. Just remember to take with you earplugs: the church bells in Ljubljana city center are super loud. So remember this whether you stay in Ava or some other hostel in the town.

The night of our stay the hostel held an art exhibition throughout the hostel. This led to people walking throughout the hostel between 8pm-12pm, often trying to get into our rooms thinking they were part of the art exhibition. To get the the bathroom or shower area I had to walk through people attending the art event and even had people try and follow me into my room afterwards. I imagine most of the time its reasonable hostel but on my night desperately sleep deprived it was a bit a nightmare.

Excellent location, lovely staff, clean room.The showers are quite hippy - mixed with no changing room.

Pros - Close to the station Price Cons - Wifi code is wrong Key wouldn't work in the door (was warned about this by other guests) Horrific beds Very loud area No lockers or anywhere for safekeeping Lots of stairs Paid for two nights but only managed one, left as soon as we could. Went down to reception to see if we could get a partial refund and it was empty. Very disappointed.

• 5th Jun 2015

Unfortunately, the room was just repainted, so it smelled a bit. Also, the bed was a bit hard (I felt the springs of the mattress).

I could feel all the springs of the mattress on my back and I consider that the thin duvet may not be enough. I had to borrow another one

The room felt cold the first days, but towards the end warmed up. besides that, it was a very nice and easy stay.

• 23rd Jan 2015
  • Latvia

Maybe it's because of the building itself, but the atmosphere was really creepy, though the room I stayed qas wuite nice, with mezanine and view to the castle.