Hostel Alessandro Downtown Reviews

Via Carlo Cattaneo 23, Rome, Italy

Good hostel if you just need a place to sleep - air conditioning in the rooms was great! There was very little atmosphere so probably not the best place to meet new people. Very close to Termini station and about 15 minutes from Colosseum and the Roman forum.

Really loved our stay here and would recommend and stay again. Felt very modern, clean and sociable throughout the hostel and air conditioning as an excellent addition. This was our first mixed dorm experience and was very positive. Walking distance from the station and lots of places to eat nearby (try Elettra!). Regular socials which were fun and well managed. One of the best hostels we stayed in on our travels throughout Italy!

• 3rd Jul 2015

A couple of the staff members were nice but most were extremely rude. I witnessed on several occasions staff members treating other guests very poorly. One instance I was in my room and two staff members were in the room as well and they started arguing. One of the staff members looked to potentially threaten the other staff member with physical violence. Atmosphere was pretty poor. No social feel to the communal environment. Location and security were good.

This hostel was great it was located next to the main train station and all the buses which made getting around really easy. The rooms were clean and had lockers but you need a big lock to fit in the lock part. The breakfast every morning was an extra €4 but it was worth it. The staff was very nice and whenever there was a problem it was fixed quickly. There was an AC in my room which worked great for getting out of that Rome heat. I would stay here again if I came back to Rome

Very large hostel and it doesn't feel very cosy in here.

They are pros. Great for a quick night in Rome.

Good location next to Termini, but almost all hostels in Rome have that privilegie. The staff was very helpful and the facilities were always clean and useful. The computers they offer are too old and too slow. They might save you in an emergency, but you should have a plan A. The hostel is full of floors and stairs, but there is an elevator for those who have patience. Overall, I would definitely stay there again.

Brilliantly close to the main train station (Termini), which meant getting round was a lot easier. Had pretty much everything you'd want from a hostel in terms of facilities. wifi was a bit slow to connect. friendly staff. has an option to put luggage in secure storage for 12 hours for 2 euros with a key-in code, which was great (or you could just leave it in the luggage room for free). rooms were pretty standard and clean.

this was a great place to stay. the staff was friendly and they have a lot of events to meet others in the hostel. great location, beds were better than most hostels and the bathrooms we're clean/functioning. I recommend this to anyone staying in rome.

Very close to the train station which is where the 2 metro lines meet so very easy to get to anywhere in the city. The 6 bed dorm we stayed in was very spacious with good lockers/storage. Wifi in the rooms was a bit iffy at times. Staff were friendly and events were organised such as free sangria night and bar crawl which was a good chance to meet others in the hostel. Very close to Alessandro Palace hostel where we went one night which had a bar and roof terrace. Good value for money.

Ha. So I guess this place is more about personal taste than anything I can really suggest. But here's what I thought of it anyhow. Location is brilliantly right next to the main station - but the area itself is majorly dodge. Not that I got killed or mugged there at any point - but still watch your bag/back. The facilities are pretty bog standard, toilets and showers work -Bonus. Can't say I didn't not enjoy my stay here, ultimately anywhere in Rome is pretty basic. Hey, it was fun.

I really enjoyed my stay at Alessandro Downtown Hostel. The hostel is ideally located in the center of Rome, three blocks from Termini Station and about twenty to thirty minutes walk from all the main attractions. The hostel was super clean with great bathroom and kitchen facilities and lockers for every guest. The staff are super friendly and helpful and even posted a letter to me in Venice. Although it is located in Termini which has a reputation of being a dodgy area I had no problems.

Actual hostel was fine, good value for money but it is in a dodgey location. Its right near the metro but I didn't feel safe in the area.

I loved the hostel. It was clean, the staff were very helpful and located right beside the train station. Only negative wifi didn't work in the rooms at all.

Overall a good experience - in my travels I have found that very few hostels ask for a key deposit and I found it a little disappointed that this one did, especially when the keys were in such bad shape (mine was close to snapping in half) and hardly worked well, we had to bring it down to have it re-programmed a couple of times. Also for this same price range, many other hostels have breakfast included.

It's in the second floor so just go right up. Confused at first about where the check in desk was at first.

Very friendly staff. Love the building sercurity. The area it is located in is OK at night, however can be a little sketchy for two females coming back late. They have cheap lockers available to store luggage for 2EUR for 12 hours since we showed up before our room was ready. Provided towels and a blow dryer in the room! Downfall - paid for private room and it was located beside an all male 8 person room which ended up breaking out in fist fight at 3AM and no staff member came to settlle it down

• 22nd Jun 2015

Wifi kept cutting out in the rooms. Staff was helpful though. Noise wasn't controlled well as there are multiple stories that the hostel is on. Breakfast not worth the 4euro as there are tons of great restaurants right around the corner. Great location though, within 30minute walking distance from most attractions such as the colosseum.

Had a little trouble finding the place because it's called a Downtown Hostel, not Alessandro, but no big deal. Great place to begin exploring Rome from, walkable to everywhere. Good expat scene. Cheap food nearby. Not so great for doing tours through the hostel. Staff nice but not overly professional. Card key in door a real problem for everyone.

Very nice hostel! Clean, helpful staff, right next to the train station. Only thing is it's not by any of the main attractions so it's quite a walk to get anywhere!