Hostel BVJ Opera Reviews

1, Rue de la Tour des Dames, Paris, France

Hostel was quite expensive for a place without access to free wifi and no personal room keys. There was supposed to be one room key per room and the last person leaving the room would take the key back down to the front desk, but often times no one in the room had the room key and no one could lock the room. There was also no lockers to use in the rooms.

• 13th Jul 2014
  • All Male Group, 18-24

Reasonably good location but dirty and smelly, no toilet seats on any of the toilets, no sinks in most bathrooms, showers are hot but don't work properly, have to pay for wifi but it didn't work for me, no kitchen, common area is always empty and almost eerie so difficult to socialise, staff not very friendly. On the other hand, it's one of the cheaper hostels in Paris and the location is good enough so it depends on what you value.

• 5th Jul 2014

The place was great!! It looks really nice on the outside and I had a great experience! One of the staff members was rude to me but the rest were fine.

• 5th Jul 2014

"THE PLACE WAS GREAT... LOOKS REALLY NICE... GREAT EXPERIENCE..." THANK YOU !

Worst hostel I´ve ever stayed in. Ants in the bedroom and the place did not feel clean. You have to pay for wifi, which was misleading and should definitely be included in a €30/night place. The staff was the rudest I have ever encountered and he yelled at me two times for carrying an unopened bottle of wine through the common room because drinking was not allowed. We felt completely unwelcome. Theres only one key to each room and you have to buzz the front door to get in at night. TERRIBLE.

• 4th Jul 2014

SORRY, but for sure for the service of a 5 stars Palace, the silence of a church, or a free open bar... … Honestly, you make the wrong choice. NEXT TIME, you should find an other address.

Rediculous that they don't warn people that they charge for wifi

• 1st Jul 2014

THANKS for the PERFECT LOCATION and the GOOD ATMOSPHER. As we informed and confirmed Wi-Fi cost 3 Euros for 2 hour Because, we received school groups under 18, we must register IP adress and the done trafic during 1 year... reason why we have to charge for Wi-Fi...

please prepare the cash, there is no machine. I need to withdraw money when I got there.

+ The staff was quite friendly and helpful & the rooms were clean and quiet. Free breakfast was nice too. Awesome lobby. - There was no free WIFI in the Hostel and it proved surprisingly hard to find free internet in Paris. They had some sort of internet service but it wasn't free and I didn't care to find out more :D

• 25th Jun 2014

"FRIENDLY & HELPFULL STAFF + CLEAN & QUIET ROOMS + NICE FREE EARLY BREAKFAST + AWESOME LOBY + WI-FI charge 3 Euros for 2 hours" THANKS A LOT we don't pretend more... Regards

Nice location and beautiful interior but the staff wasn't helpful or friendly at all. It was tough being an American here.

THANKS for NICE LOCATION + BEAUTIFUL INTERIOR... Just reming you'll get just what you bring... Hope to see you soon in a better mood, Regards

Location is great. But dorm rooms without lockers was surprising. And a hostel without a kitchen or even refrigerator even more so. If your plan is to spend every lunch and dinner out in Parisian restaurants and to drink in the trendy bars nearby, this place is perfectly suited. Travelers on a bit of a budget, looking to buy a bottle of wine to enjoy in or groceries for lunches, may want to examine other options.

THANKS for the GREAT LOCATION...the PERFECTLY SUITED PLACE... Regards...

The guy at reception didn't seem to know what he was doing. Once we paid, we asked for info on attractions, but he gave us false answers. He said he could verify once "he had finished what he was working on". There is no security here. There is one key per room and anyone could really walk in. No lockers. You can hear the phone ringing at night in the lobby. The rooms are filthy. The washrooms are disgusting with no ventilation. Ladies, no toilet seats btw. Book early elsewhere

Sorry for the miss-understanding, but for sure : 1/ Even if we've got the oldest historic youth hostel of the city, with an amazing lobby, for a 5 stars palace services, you make the wrong choice... 2/ As for security : 3 camera control, a securty pass... we can't do better.... 3/ Rooms and facilities are cleaned from 2 to 3 times per day, but for sure, we can't be behind all our guests, and can't give any guaranty on their way of life, even on yours... Please just forget us...

The staff is si bad, rude and useless

The bathrooms, particularly the showers, were disgusting. Some of the staff at the front desk were rude. The window in my room didn't close properly, and it overlooked the patio, so the room was rather noisy whenever people were out on the patio. Breakfast was underwhelming and there was next to nothing available if you're lactose intolerant. (It was mostly cereal, though there were fruit cups and baguette.) There were no lockers in the rooms, which was sketchy. Would not stay there again.

• 17th Jun 2014

It seems that you weren't in our hostel, the OLDEST and the MOST BEAUTIFULL HOSTEL of the city, with his HISTORIC NAPOLEON LOBBY, with a FREE EARLY BREAKFAST with : tea, coffee, chocolat, yogurt, orange juice, apple juice, fruit salad, biscotte, american toast, fresh daily bread of the baker, butter, 7 flavour of jam, honey, nutella, 2 types of cereals, cold milk, cakes... SORRY WE CAN' DO BETTER ! For a 5 stars palace service you made the wrong choice & price might be different !

They do advertise you have to pay to use the wifi, but when I got there I could not connect to the wifi at all since they had run out of some prepaid cards they use! This was a big inconvenience for me. Other than that I'm happy with the place; it is a very simple hostel but very resonably priced and great location.

HAPPY with the place, SIMPLE HOSTEL but very resonable priced & GREAT LOCATION.... As we wrote on the micro web site : Wi-Fi since 0,80 Euros per our...

The place it's essential as it's supposed to be in a hostel but you can find cheaper hostels with more services (toilet in the room and the kitchen use for example). There's no soap in the toilets and not enough plugs in the room to charge everyone's phone, the breakfast it's good even though it's served only until 9.30. The personal it's quite rude but it's unfortunately common in the hostels. Another really stupid thing it's that you have to pay 1€ EACH TIME you use the lockers. Mad!!!

• 14th Jun 2014

THANKS FOR THE GOOD FREE EARLY BREAKFAST, but it seems that you made the wrong choice and you should open your eyes. More over then 1 plug per person en each room, as we pretend, as present on the micro-web site, as we confirmed by mail : a SIMPLE & BASIC Youth Hostel in an HISTORIC BUILDING where you'll find JUST THE NECESSARY : bunk bed, facilities to share outside of room, no kitchen, no lift, internet since 0.80 Euros per hour, lockers for 2 Euros per use, necessary for the bath for 5 Euros

Great location ,Wifi is not free,and there is no socket beside the bed.

THANK YOU for our "GREAT LOCATION", for sure as presented, as confirmed by mail, Wi-Fi every where in the hostel since 3 Euros for 2 hours + more then 2 plug & socket per person in each room, just open your eyes... Regards

I did not enjoy my stay here. No lockers or anything in the rooms, the lockers downstairs were broken, leaving our valuables unattended or carried around everywhere. We were told to change rooms, midstay, because they had a bigger group coming. Rude about it too. Pay for wifi and it was expensive. Talking outside on the terrace past 1030pm made the staff tell at us. I did not like this place and would never recommend it

SORRY, we are not made for you ! As we pretend... as we present, as we confirmed by mail. BVJ OPERA YOUTH HOSTEL, with his historic amazing lobby, is the odlest and one of the best located hostel of the city. But for sur is a very simple and basic place intented for students, teachers, and youth travellers. For the service of a 5 stars Palace, the silence of a church, or a romantic honey-moon… Honestly, you make the wrong choice. Next time, you should find an other address.

Without any notice my room was change mid stay. This was done during the day whilst I was out exploring Paris. When I returned to my room at night, I found that my bag, and all my possessions, had been removed from the room and reception had no idea where it was. It took 30 stressful mins to find my bag. Staff were very rude and unhelpful throughout. Could not use wifi as all the cards had already been bought out. There are no lockers in rooms. Mixed dorm rooms are always open.

The hostel is about three minutes from a metro stop which is very nice. Not much for food around the area though. The staff was not the most friendly and they only accept cash although on hostel world it says cash or card. The rooms don't have any locking drawers or anything. Also the 10 person room has 4 bunks and then two beds that go on the floor and are in the way for everyone else. A nice outdoor courtyard although no drinking is allowed.

VERY WELL LOCATED, BALANCE only in CASH on the DAY OF ARRIVAL, bunk beds, a nice outdoor courtyard, NO ALCOOL... All we pretend...

Generall enjoyable. ALthought ten people make the room very full, but the price is not bad, especially in Paris. Expecting breakfast to be better!

• 10th Jun 2014
  • China

ENJOYABLE... THANKS A LOT... for our ENJOYABLE YOUTH HOSTEL... For our FREE EARLY BREAKFAST with tea, coffee, chocolat, hot milk, orange juice, apple juice, yogurt, cake, biscotte, daily bread from the bake, butter, 7 flavour of jam, honey, nutella, orange, apple, fruit salad, 2 types of cereals... sorry we can't do better for FREE... Regards

Breakfast was a positive surprise, WiFi should've been free of charge but it wasn't.

POSITIVE SURPRISE FOR BREAKFAST THANSK A LOT,