Hostel Backpackers La Fortuna Reviews

La Fortuna, Arenal Volcano, La Fortuna, Costa Rica

Very clean and friendly hostel. Staff always happy to help. Great location near everything in La Fortuna. Was nice to get a free welcome drink and be able to enjoy the pool at the sister hostel one block away too! Lovely atmosphere. Would definitely stay again.

The hostel was good. Great location. We had confirmed an extra night over the phone and when we arrived after four hours of driving they never wrote our names Down. We had nowhere to stay. The rooms have ants. The bartender is fantastic he is a great kid. Basic rooms but decent. Hard to find parking. They also don't tell you they have three sister hostels. So all backpackers show up with what they booked in mind and they are sent to another hostels

Don't stay here. Just don't do it. Smells so strongly of mold and there was construction going on while I was there, bedsheets were stained and itchy, curtains were super old, the pics on the website are misleading. The bar doesn't make it worth the money. I was a little afraid of bed bugs. The staff is nice unless you have a question or comment/complaint and the lady gets defensive and the guy gets nervous. I left early. Not enjoyable at all.

We had a problem because we had booked for three days but needed to reduce to 2 days. The staff were very friendly and helpful. They also helped us a lot with organising trips and yours from the hostel, we had a great stay and enjoyed using the swimming pool in the sister hostel.

Expensive for a hostel. I felt they charged for every little thing, but then again this was my first trip staying in hostels. I did not like you had to go to their other location for breakfast...which was a way nicer property...but sold out for our trip. The breakfast was great for $5. I do not like that we could not bring new friends back to hang out...I thought that was what hostels were all about. Laundry for a reasonable fee and folded it. A/C was great!

Pros: Great location, helpful front desk staff. Bar on site and spacious common area. Cons: I stayed in the dorm and the ventilation was lacking. The room smelled with everyone's clothes etc. The bathroom is *tiny*. There was also renovation going on so if you wanted to take break in the afternoon would have to put with a lot of noise.

Good hostel in a good location. Very attentive staff.

I have travelled to a lot of hostels and I don't think I have seen such moldy room as this dorm (#7) before. The hostel would have been cool otherwise but this was just too bad. I am not overly pedantic with hygiene but this was just too much. Fortunately there are great (and clean) rivers, waterfalls and hot springs for swimming in La Fortuna so we didn't have to take a shower here.

The staff here, particularly the lady at reception was one of the nicest people i have ever met. She was so helpful and assisted us in booking shuttles, researching how to get to Nicuragua and calling different companies. LOVED that it included access to Arenal Backpackers hostel, which also has a pool!

Hostel was in a great location and had awesome opportunities to socialize with people. Air conditioning was a huge bonus! There was also ample space in a (REALLY clean) 7 person room.

• 29th Aug 2015

Awesome hostel with really friendly and helpful staff. Rooms smelled a bit too much of mold, which is fine if you're only staying there a few nights.

• 28th Aug 2015

Air conditioning was broken in the dorm we stayed in, and with 8 bodies in a small room it meant that it was too hot to sleep. Bathroom was really mouldy, and shower facilities were poor (much worse than the other hostels we had stayed in). However good location, good kitchen and nice staff, shame about the room and atmosphere - not worth the money

• 9th Aug 2015