Hostel California Reviews

Via Lambrate,18, Milan, Italy

It was my second time staying in this hostel, thus I have had no problem with this hostel before. The guy who received me during checked in was kinda nice. And he was very helpful and friendly. HOWEVER, when I checked out in the morning, the short-hair-almost-bold guy was very rude!!!!! I asked my deposit money back, and he pretended know nothing about it. He said no money (seriously????), so I was just standing there for half an hour, until he gave me my €10. Be careful with him!!!!

trust mu guys,is really bad....but really bad........they're really bad people...they dnt understand nothing and the small of them is better don't talking about....no clean,no good location,shit stuff,...is cheaper because is really bad..... so,don't go in this place.....they have to change name...from hostel california to hostel awful!

When we arrived we had to pay €2 city tax per person per night. We took our own linnen because it was'nt included, but we had to pay also €2 for that and we get only one sheet. The closeds metro station is 15 minutes by foot and one way costs €1,30. There was also no toilet paper in the bathroom and the staff was a little bit weird.

I can summarize the hostel in RUDE, BAD, OUT OF QULITY. You will find yourself sweated with a CANCELLED booking just at the moment you arrive there. I booked there but they, I don't know why untill now!, said no booking for me. The receptionist who is extremely rude cannot speak in English. Even the word 'Passport' was able to hear after 3 times repeating. He didn't explain to me enough and just repeat 'No booking'. What a .. And location is poor(takes 30-40m for stn) EVER WORST HOSTEL I FOUND.

i have no idea why people value so bad this hostel. i had an amazing time. its really clean, its well located, the staff was really adorable. i would definetly stay there again

Mosquitoes in Summer, one of the staff deliberately disable wifi while i am using it, said no wifi before 8am

Very disappointed by this hostel, booked into a 10 bed mixed dorm for 2 nights, to be told when we got there that we were staying in separate rooms! The staff were not at all friendly and rude and there were no locks on the bedroom doors, making us feel very uneasy about leaving our stuff while we went out. The location isn't very good either as it took half an hour to get there from the station. I would avoid staying here

• 21st Jun 2014

I emailed them and they were not very responsive.

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Indonesia

Hostel was very far away from Central Milan and was a bit of a pain to find. No real hostel atmosphere, was basically a shell of a building for you to sleep in. Worst thing was the hidden costs on arrival for sheets and tax (I realise these were on booking but not including them in final price meant we were disappointed to find our stay in this remote, very-lacking hostel was about €18 more than we thought). The toilets were not amazing either, with the floors filthy and showers partly broken.

I would like to thank the Hostelworld stuff for your great service, but the Hostel was not good. We had a reservarion of 8 beds in a mix bedroom and we had to sleep in different bedrooms, or pay more. Thats was not the reservation that we did, but we didnt have other option. At the end, everything was more expensive than in the reservation.

• 31st May 2014
  • Spain

everything was fine!! the only negative is that there is no space to rest. The kitchen is not small but is not the appropriate place to rest. The beds are ok, the area is great! it is close to the metro station.

Don't choose this hostel. The staff has bad attitude. And the location is bad. Far away from the city centre.

• 30th May 2014
  • Hong Kong

Emailed them to cancel the first two days of a 4-day stay. They cancelled ALL FOUR days WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME. Ended up with no place to stay. Definitely very bad management.

Worst hostel I have ever been. We booked to be in a same room and they just separated us without asking whether we are ok or not. My friend was sleeping in a separate room for which they claimed it was book and nobody showed for the whole night. Second level beds are a challenge to get on it since there isn't a ladder. There are also hide costs.

I stayed in a 10 bed mixed room and the bethroom was really dirty uns disgusting, not only the one in my room but also the others. just one of them as possible to lock the door. That was not so comfortable! it is not central and you need to walk 10-15 minutes to the nextiest metro station. I really didnt like this hostel. would not recomend.

Being adventurous and independent, I saw the reviews of this place and knew I must stay here. If you don't need your hand held to find the place (use the map image- walkable from central train), don't mind that nothing works quite right, and can avoid eye contact with the one angry janitor, this is a great and cheap place to stay. to woman who shushed me at 4am, to whom I retorted with, "this is what you get for €6 a night!", there is a special place in heaven for ppl like you.

WORST PLACE I'VE EVER BEEN! DONT STAY HERE! - the staff is not welcoming - I tried to get in touch by email with the hostel to change my reservation and they did not answered me - the receptionist charged more than it was agreed - the bathroom was DISGUSTING (very dirt and smelling really bed) - because of the roof is not possible to take a shower standing - the sheets were disgusting - the room has a lot of dirt - there is only one electrical point in a room for 10 people

A sewer is better than this place! It's far away from the centre, the bathroom was dirty, the kitchen was poorly equipped, there were strange guests and even stranger staff. It had a prison atmosphere that I had never felt in any other place. You better get ready for this experience...

When we did the check-in they charge us 87€. The next day we realized that they have charged us much more that it supposed to (in hostel world receipt it says that we only had to pay 61,20€) so we told the manager and he started to jelling at us, insulting us and telling us that what we had paid before it was only for hostel world, so they don't care about how much we had to pay. We also tried to make a complaint about it, because the difference was huge, and they didn't let us.

Nice hostel overall, nothing majorly disappointing. The linen and tax additional price was a bit sneaky and did annoy me though so make sure you work that out before you book. Area was okay though not very central, a 20 minute walk to loreto or lambrate metro and then a metro to get anywhere.