Hostel California Reviews

Via Lambrate,18, Milan, Italy

I found California Hostel not too far from the center. It's a small but decent place with a warm atmosphere among the travelers. I was bothered when I wanted to book another night because first they told me to pay more, referring that last night was an special offer. Acorging to hostelworld the price was still the same. I had a discussion at the front desk, not cool, I finally payed the same price. I found this attitude very unprofessional and hope they rethink their price policy..

Dirty room, nauseating toilets, unfriendly staff and, worst of all, blankets charged extra (per night!).

• 31st May 2015
  • Spain

The 14 bed room is too small for this much people. By the way, there was 16 instead of 14. Automatically, is impossible to keep the bathroom clean. Internet was just a promise, it never worked while in my stay. This hostel was too expensive for what it offers, by the way, there is more taxes you have to pay when you check in. Unfortunatelly, if this hostel is the only affordable option in Milan for your trip, skip the city...

First of all I had to pay extra 5 euro per night for citytax and linens ( first time i pay for linen per day not per stay and they were old and dirty ! ). All the Guests were feeling cheated and disappointed. The stuff was not kind at all . There was wi-fi which was the only good thing .In the kitchen were not enough glasses and utensils . The bunk beds were without stairs to climb on the upper bed and in the bathrooms there was no toilet paper. I've never been in worse Hostel

• 31st May 2015
  • Bulgaria

There on many comments on California Hostel's thread that are off-putting, and I don't know why. Perhaps the hostel I s not for everyone, but I very much enjoyed my stay. The rooms are hot. The 14bed suit can get a little stuffy. The common room is also a smoking room. But why else does a traveler come to a hostel if not to meet fresh faces and get a little outside of their comfort zone? Scenic 10 minute walk to the metro. Pasta dinner on Saturday nights. Friendly faces in the common room,lovely

• 30th May 2015

we were really upset to stay here! our food was taken even we have written the name and put it in the fridge. that's the only food we have for lunch. we don't have much budget in the trip, it's really important for us! No lock for the room door, everyone easily enter. staffs are unhelpful, didn't allow us to use the chair in common room(whennobody was using it) rigid rule which people are not allowed to stay on check out day after 4pm. even we need to wait for the night train and can go nowhere.

Loved how they offered a free pasta dinner with wine one of the nights we were there!

I want to mention that a city tax and a bed sheet are not included yet! You need to pay ~4.4 Euros per night as an extra. There are four things that I want to suggest 1) Not enough toilets! 2) Not all toilets have toilet paper! 3) The kitchen/ common room is full with smoke. Imagine that you are eating while other people are smoking! There should be a separate part for smoking. 4) Not enough equipment in a kitchen to use, for example plates, spoons, knives, etc.

Generally the staff was nice, but unhelpful. The location makes it a little difficult to get around, and the advertised price is rarely average.

• 21st May 2015

Very cheap hostel with good staff, a large common area. The hostel is clean

It is very bad. The staff was very rude. My confirmed booking, they cancelled in their own and telling over booking. I had to stay out. It's very bad professionalism. Such hostels, should be taken out from the trusted website of hostel world.

No advanced information of the fee for sheets of the bed which is a kind of cheating.

• 16th May 2015

I got there and had to wait for over an hour to check in. Came back later that day and when they showed me the dorms they where in the top level, beds stacked and barely any space to move around. It was very smelly and hot up there. We went out and when we came back there weren't any beds. After an hour they moved us to another room. Waked up a guy that was passed out in a bed and told us to use that one and another one that was free. The showers were dirty and there was no TP ob the WC.

DO NOT BOOK THIS HOSTEL. This was the worst hostel experience I have ever had. Disgustingly dirty, smelly, worst location and the staff could not care less about you. My bunk bed completely collapsed (without any weight on it) and they made me sleep in the attic with 4 old men (I booked an all girls room!) No apology and no refund for that night. I wouldn't wish my WORST ENEMY to stay in a horrible place like this. Ridiculous extra charges apply on arrival, don't be fooled by the price!!

• 12th May 2015

the only thing i did not like is to pay separately for the sheets.

I was only in the hostel one night. Hot shower and comfy bed is all I care about! Staff was nice. Internet wasn't the greatest in the room. Had a bunch of Italian men wake us up at 4 am. Wasn't the happiest about that as I had to get up at 7am.

Not a bad hostel. Kitchen was fine. Room was fine. Had to share a double bed with my friends in a dorm. Perhaps it would have been good to know in advance. The shower and bathroom weren't the best, but I've had worse. 10 min walk to the metro.

Friendly staff was preparing pasta for free.

• 19th Apr 2015

The staff lied for me, send me for another hostel( far, dirty and dangerous) and it cost me double the actual price

• 13th Apr 2015

They need to clean rooms and showers more often.

• 10th Apr 2015