Hostel California Reviews

Via Lambrate,18, Milan, Italy

this was the worst hostel i have ever stayed in, in is run by such rude people that don't care about your well being, all they want is you're money. the rooms are cold damp run down and are not one bit clean. no working showers in our room and the toilet smelled like urine. the bed cloths were at least 10 years old and smelled like must. on our stay the police raided the place for cocaine.. also my friend had a longings watch that was taken from the room and he has not gotten it back.

• 1st Oct 2015

They don't give you a key to enter the hostel, basically there's just a doobell and you ring for the receptionist to let you in, but I don't think they remember everyone's face so theoretically anyone can access the facilities. They had the most unconfortable bed I've ever slept in. The staff never smile, say only the bare minimum amount of things they have to say to you. it's one of the cheapest options in Milan, so if you only have to stay one night as I did it's ok. Avoid otherwise.

• 1st Oct 2015
  • Honduras

Don't be an idiot, listen to this review and all others like it. This place sucks! It's dirty, it's gross. The location is awful, away from center and metro even. The people that work there smoke indoors by the rooms so all night and day there is the smell of smoke, I left the place smelling like an ashtray. The guy gave away my bed one night. The beds are super close together. The shower and bathroom are disgusting. I've stayed in hostels all over the world and this one is top 3 worst!

My worst fears came true. There was a criminal living in our dorm! The police came and heckled him away at around 1 in the night. The police kept coming back to search for his things multiple times in the night so no one could sleep. Extremely rude staff who don't know Milan themselves and so how can they plan for you? Very far away from city centre and very dirty hostel. It is better to sleep on the road I think. The only reason they get customers is because Milan does not have cheap options.

The staff was friendly but changesd our room twice since we got there. Only two bathrooms for the whole hostel, there was always people waiting to get in, also not very clean as too many peiple for only two bathrooms.

Didn't actually get to stay here because they OVERBOOKED me. As I arrived late in the evening, 10:30pm is late apparently, they said sorry not sorry you have to find somewhere else to sleep. On a Saturday night during the World Expo. I wound up walking the streets of Milan in the freezing cold because everywhere else was full. Please DO NOT RISK staying here as every door I knocked on said overbooking is normal for Hostel California. Also, people smoked pot in the foyer.

was super scared about this place because of the reviews but its NOT THAT BAD!! as long as you CALL AHEAD and let them know what time youre checking in, no problems with the booking nor the staff, yes could use more bathroom availability and they could be cleaned more often, but its not nearly as bad as some other places weve been. if you need a couple of nights this place is cheap and just fine! (though add 4€ city tax and about 2€ linen price to your final price of stay)

Location wasn't great but metro system is good in Milan so it was alright. Attracted rude back packers, everyone we met was actually really rude. Staff were really nice though! They have a kitchen and fridge though which was really good. Amazing wifi, wifi everywhere you go. Good for only a 1-2 night stay!

Only stayed one night so didn't really get a feel for the place. bed was fine if a little cramped too many beds in one room. if the room was bigger it would have been fine but i could barely fit between the bunkbeds and I'm not huge.

This was the worst experience I have ever had with a hostel. The hostel property has hidden terms and conditions that are not explicitly stated until you show up to check in. They refuse to change or modify bookings and also charge for amenities that are supposed to be inclusivr. Hostelworld is clueless and does not tell you this when you make the reservation. I refused to stay there and went somewhere else because the customer service was so terrible.

• 25th Sep 2015

PLEASE READ. My girlfriend and I made a reservation for two nights in late Sept. The overwhelming excitement in anticipation of a week in Milan with my girlfriend quickly disappeared at arrival at Hostel California. Upon arrival at the Reception, we were informed, in a surprisingly unforgiving tone, that the hostel was overbooked and that we would be forced to find accomm elsewhere. Peak season, couple with the Expo, forced us with very limited options, the cheapest accom being 120Euro a night.

TOTALLY NON Recomended Hostel, we booked a private room for an a high price and we got a shared room of 10, without any advice, any email, any apologize, and off course we paid the same amount in the Sahred room than the private room. I tottally dissapointed with that situation also because I was travelling with old people, is not the same shared than private for they. We only got answer about our Credit Card doesn't work, (completely false, what about the diposit!!!!!!).

rude and unfriendly staffs. unclean place and bad atmosphere. 8 euros more than what was advertised, clearly you can get an awesome place for the price. my girlfriend and me ended up sleeping in stares until 2am in the morning. booked for 13 bed room and ended up with 18 bed room, on complaint no action taken. very unclean room and toilet. we had no other option to change the room or something. not able to fine other hostels as it was too late. definitely not recommended. please find a different

Bad service at reception. No comments upon check out time, Wifi... No other activities organized like visit the city, a map, bar hopping or movie night. Small bed, no towel, 5euros more then expected. Nothing exceptional in kitchen which is the only commun area. Not enough power plugs in room for all the guests.

• 22nd Sep 2015
  • Switzerland

I am a delighted customer of Hostel California. Indeed the staff over there were helpful and in this cheap price, impossible to find other place in Milan.

• 21st Sep 2015
  • India

Price ended up being higher than quoted on booking web sight. In a room with more than we thought. 12 females to one bathroom and having to bend over to shower due to roof line.

• 20th Sep 2015
  • All Female Group, 41+

Booked with them as I had stuff to attend to in Milan. Called them at 14:00 and told them that I would be late and would arrive at 20:00 hrs. It was fine with them. Later I receive an e-mail at 19:00 hrs telling me that they had problems with the rooms and I should search for another hotel, probably near San Siro area. All the facilities there were booked and the guy at California was so arrogant, unprofessional, and lacked even the minimum language skills to explain himself. DON'T GO THERE

• 19th Sep 2015
  • Kenya

Other than one of the men at reception looking like he hated his life and the bathrooms sometimes needing cleaning, I don't know what people were complaining about. Most showers were good, just a little dirty at times and the beds are comfortable enough. You get what you pay for!

A part for a very unfriendly and unhelpful staff is a good hostel, with good atmosphere, kitchen and wi-fi. Very cheap.

Very basic, but what you expect for cheap. Staff were helpful- even let us use their mobile to call a bus company. Okay for one or two nights.