Hostel California Reviews

Via Lambrate,18, Milan, Italy

If you are going to stay here because you are on a budget, don't be worried by the comments! If you've ever stayed in a proper hostel before, this is exactly what you'd expect. The people with terrible reviews must have VERY high expectations. It's less than an hour walk to the very centre of Milan. Common area closes at a decent hour and after that it's very quiet and easy to sleep. Beds are decent. All in all you get what you pay for. Worst negative: half the room had no electrical outlets.

• 3rd Aug 2015

The location was not that good. We made a mistake on the reservation, so they wanted to overcharge us (2 bedrooms for 1 night, when we would only use one). Kitchen not that bad, cleanliness not bad.

The lockers to keep your stuff only for tiny locks, not regular sized.

• 31st Jul 2015

there is no microwave oven... on evenings sometimes guyz who working there cooks free pasta for guests, its very cool )

in the description it says that to go to Central Station in 15 minutes. in reality - 40 minutes))) the staff are very friendly

• 29th Jul 2015
  • Ukraine

There were 2 additional hidden costs:obligatory sheets&towel plus Italian tourism tax.They haven t indicated any of these on the web page.You only know it after booking. The staff was unfriendly and rude.One of them was literraly shouting with my sister because he thought I went into the female room(I did not). But the worst, the reason Im writing this,is that I forgot my shoes there.I e-mailed them to ask whether they could send me by post after I transfered them the cost.I've got no answer.

• 27th Jul 2015
  • Hungary

Truly not recommended during hot summer (terrible temperature in the dormitories without air conditioning) Not that cheap considering the additional unexpected' fees for bed sheets, and correct staff but not that comprehensive. Facilities (showers and kitchen) correct but far too small if hostel is full.

I do not recommend it. They didn't follow the conditions of my reservation. In the end they diverted me and my friend in an other place. Non consigliabile.

• 26th Jul 2015

The staff could've been open. They treated it like a formal place with employee behaviour. Not recommended for backpackers!

costs 5 more euros per night as told. 2.40 for linen and 2 for city tax

We didn't expect much but were very disappointed. When we arrived it lasted ~5 minutes to open the door for us, we even thought nobody was there. We booked a room for 5 people and got a 12 people room at capacity occupancy, only substantiated by "it's a hostel, you have to share rooms". For the same price, btw. We were allocated beds but when we returned from the city later some of them were already taken. It was unbelievable hot, none of us slept much. Worst trip experience,luckily only 1night!

Its cheap, alright but the location of this hostel is really far from the center. Common room is closing at 11pm which is really inconvenient. Kitchen is way too small for the amount of people inside the hostel. The staff boys were probably the worst i've seen in my eurotrip (12hostels at least). It is really really hot inside the rooms, only 1 fan for 14 peeps.. please god.!! IF I WAS YOU, CHOOSE SOMETHING ELSE!

the room for 8 is in the attic and in summer it gets really REALLY warm, it has only two fans for the whole room

• 21st Jul 2015

Only 1 night ... not too much to say but it was nice btw

You get what you pay for period.

Not enough facilities for everyone, not clean, no lock on bathroom doors, broken into lockers, uncomfy beds, worst nights sleep, too hot, not enough fans, no air con, no ladders on bunk beds, okay location.

I paid more than expected when I booked with Hostelworld and the place was just ok for sleeping, nothing more.

The hostel was okay for a temporary stay. It had no air con only a fan in the rroom the bathroom very clean. The common room was In the attic so was very hot and people smoked in there. Staff were friendly and helpful with directions etc however

Hot and dirty. The bathroom was gross and didnt seem like it was ever cleaned. The shower drain was partially clogged and the fan in the bedroom did little to alleviate the heat of the bedroom. It was cooler outside, than in our dorm at night. One of the fans would only work if you had the light turned on. Utterly useless at night.

I was expecting to be a really bad hostel for the reviews I read but was way better than I expected. Only the staff that is not really friendly and friendly. Other down side (if you are not a smoker) there is always people smoking on the kitchen including the staff.