Hostel Carioca Reviews

Rua Lacerda Coutinho, 29, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

No car parking at hostel. Needed to park on street.

• 2nd Aug 2014

Very average accommodation, decent location near the beach and close to ipanema. What really saved this rating was the friendliness of the staff and their willingness to do whatever they could to make us happy. They were overbooked from the World Cup which is understandable but they tried to make us a room out of their storage room to keep us happy. Obviously not wanting to sleep in a closet they moved me and my two friends to an apartment on the beach. Major pain but they did their best to help

• 11th Jul 2014

This is comfortably the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. For extortionate World Cup prices, you can get a bed in a 13 bed dorm so cramped i could smell and feel the breath of the man next to me as I tried to sleep. My bed kept on collapsing in the night, with the bed slats falling on the person below me during the night, waking us both. There were two showers, both cold, neither of which locked, and the door on one broke on the second night. The staff were disorganised and lazy. Nightmare.

Firstly, the hostel has no recollection of our booking when we arrived. Luckily they had space to accommodate us. Then they refused to accept that we had already paid a deposit on hostelworld.com and made us pay the entire amount (they were already charging ridiculous amounts because of the world cup). Lastly the receptionist stole my friends phone (claimed he dint but we used a software to track his phone and call it). Surprise surpirse, it was ringing in his pocket.

• 3rd Jul 2014
  • Sri Lanka

I wouldn't recommend staying here under any circumstances. I stayed for 1 evening on the night of the 28th of June and this is comfortably the worst hostel I have visited. The room was small and smelled, i took two showers while I was there and they were both cold. To cap things off I had to exit the room via the window (passing my bag through) as the guy at reception wasn't able to open the door. There are far better hostels in Rio which are much cheaper.

Backpacked in South America for a month, and this was our last hostel. can confidently say that this was by far the worst hostel. very very very expensive, even for a rio hostel during the world cup. Also, they shove in about 12 bunk beds in the smallest room that should probably have about 4. nowhere to put luggage in the room. the staff does not speak english at all. one morning 10 of us woke up to the sound of a couple banging on the top bunk of 3 beds. unbelievabl. terrible hostel terrible

great location, accommodating staff.

• 26th Jun 2014

Hostel Carioca was cramped, dirty, and not a good choice for first-time travelers. The front desk staff spoke zero English and could not offer suggests for nearby or on what to do. There was not hot water for showering. Also, check-in was supposed to be at 2 PM and we weren't finally allowed in our room until after 4 because the previous people were still in there. Overall, the hostel would be a nightmare for first-timers, and it was still a headache for someone seasoned.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

This is an incredible hostel! I recommend that everyone stays here! The staff had a mix up, and ended up going over and bove expecations to make sure that we were taken care of!

• 14th Jun 2014

I stayed during the world cup. I was with other 12 guys in a room no big enough! The main bathroom was ok, but the others were extremely small, although they were clean the most of the time. The location, wifi, breakfast, athmosphere were good! Someone of the staff, the one that was at night, wasnt so kind!

• 14th Jun 2014