Hostel Carioca Reviews

Rua Lacerda Coutinho, 29, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

This is comfortably the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. For extortionate World Cup prices, you can get a bed in a 13 bed dorm so cramped i could smell and feel the breath of the man next to me as I tried to sleep. My bed kept on collapsing in the night, with the bed slats falling on the person below me during the night, waking us both. There were two showers, both cold, neither of which locked, and the door on one broke on the second night. The staff were disorganised and lazy. Nightmare.

I wouldn't recommend staying here under any circumstances. I stayed for 1 evening on the night of the 28th of June and this is comfortably the worst hostel I have visited. The room was small and smelled, i took two showers while I was there and they were both cold. To cap things off I had to exit the room via the window (passing my bag through) as the guy at reception wasn't able to open the door. There are far better hostels in Rio which are much cheaper.

Backpacked in South America for a month, and this was our last hostel. can confidently say that this was by far the worst hostel. very very very expensive, even for a rio hostel during the world cup. Also, they shove in about 12 bunk beds in the smallest room that should probably have about 4. nowhere to put luggage in the room. the staff does not speak english at all. one morning 10 of us woke up to the sound of a couple banging on the top bunk of 3 beds. unbelievabl. terrible hostel terrible

great location, accommodating staff.

• 26th Jun 2014

Hostel Carioca was cramped, dirty, and not a good choice for first-time travelers. The front desk staff spoke zero English and could not offer suggests for nearby or on what to do. There was not hot water for showering. Also, check-in was supposed to be at 2 PM and we weren't finally allowed in our room until after 4 because the previous people were still in there. Overall, the hostel would be a nightmare for first-timers, and it was still a headache for someone seasoned.

• 18th Jun 2014
  • All Male Group, 25-30

I stayed during the world cup. I was with other 12 guys in a room no big enough! The main bathroom was ok, but the others were extremely small, although they were clean the most of the time. The location, wifi, breakfast, athmosphere were good! Someone of the staff, the one that was at night, wasnt so kind!

• 14th Jun 2014
  • Uruguay

The worst hostel I ever stayed. I stayed here for 6 nights. - of the 6 nights I stayed here, I was just able to take a shower 2 times (almost every morning no water, so also no flushing toilets) - All the bathrooms were really dirty, also often no toilet paper. - they have bed bugs and don{t do anyting about it. One girl told them about it and she moved beds, and then they gave me this bed (I only found out the last day). - ask for a receipt after you pay cash, they might charge you twice

Amazing staff, good vibes for sure!

One of the worse hostel where we ever been! The hostel was dirty and the staff was really impolite. There was a water problem in Copacabana during or stay, what is not the fault of the hostel. When it happened the hostel didnt inform us about the problem and they didn't find suggestions to help us to survive the 2 days without water. Also without the water problem the staff was really bad, they not speak english and didn't know something about places where to go! Never go here again!!

th atmosphere is pretty good, the owner is very nice, speak spanish. but i was in a room with 13 more people nd the inernet worked vry slowly.

The room where we were supposed to stay was tiny and not clean, and also looked very bad. After complaining we moved to a 4 bed room, it was ok. The people working there were kind and friendly, the most positive thing about our stay. Breakfast isn´t good, it´s kind of cheapy cheap: no marmalade for the toasts, no cakes at all, and almost no fruit (and the fruit that was there was not the best either). DONT TAKE THE YOGHURT. Only cranky people around and cockroaches at night in the kitchen.

• 19th Nov 2013
  • Argentina

Loockers in the room was broken and doors on the bathroom as well.

what it felt like to me is these people killed some rich guy who lived here (b/c ignoring all the filth, it is a nice building). they forgot how to clean quickly, hired some nice/helpful receptionists (no clue why only they are good). realized they needed money to pay the rent so they turned their stolen house into a hostel. all in all, its cheap as hell so its bad as hell. if your desperate and short on cash, go for it. if your not desperate and want to enjoy yourself, don't do it.

• 20th Jul 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, there are not enough bathrooms (second floor only 1 bathroom to 20 people), when I finally got into shower it was totally cold. Paid for washing service that was to be done by that evening, at checkout next day was given a bag of very damp clothes and told dryer was broken, only given half refund when we asked. On checkout day I left room for about 30 seconds to find missing washing and came back to cleaner going through my bag. The 2 reception staff were good.

My last stay in this hostel was terrible!!! We've booked a room for 4 and when we arrived they didn't find the reservation...Finally they got a room, the room was extremely small, the worst part was the smell of mushroom and humidity, so strong that we couldn't stay more than 5 min inside. We changed for a dorm, groud floor next to the reception so impossible to sleep afer 7 am and also they open the door and switch on the light to show the room while you're asleep, and be carefull prices varies

This hostel is good to stay if you are not looking for any good mood, shared experiences and holliday fun. It isn't friendly (staff and guests), but is clean and calm.

• 31st Mar 2012
  • Lithuania

Extremely disorganised, they received hostelworld e-mail but had not booked us a room - were given a 'private double' instead - which was a cupboard behind the kitchen with a double bed touching 3 walls. Air-con leaked all over the 1 foot of floor space. Bathrooms were constantly dirty from over use. Guest kitchen had almost no crockery or cutlery. Staff were unhelpful. THERE IS NO LAUNDRY FACILITIES AVAILABLE - asked staff to remove this from there listing on hostelworld... don't stay here.

PRO: breakfast is great (yet they don't start before 9). This place is cleaner than every other hostel in the world. On my last staying in this hostel I learned that: -check accurately your reservation and print it - for drink, fun during the night, and/or tours you can go to the Bambu hostel, 30 meters away - However DO NOT SLEEP in Bambu hostel! It's filthy. - Ask questions to the staff, they'll be glad to help you

PRO: extremely clean hostel, they do the room everyday. Nice & helpfull staff, good location to the beach (6 mns), the bus (4 mns) and the metro (3 mns). Breakfast is REALLY good (yet only available 9-11AM) CONS:: the staff seem to be always confusing reservations: make sure you got all details (included price can change!). Few bathrooms available (they say they are building a new one), not really party atmosphere (terrace closes at 10PM)

one day there werent any water in the showers and bathrooms for many hours, the staff wasnt helpful and didnt seem like they cared about it. the room was too crowded, wasnt enough air for everybody in the room, my friend and i was sleeping and two guests were doing things on one of the beds above us, and in the morning we found that our towel was participaiting in their act.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels