Hostel Carioca Reviews

Rua Lacerda Coutinho, 29, Copacabana, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

The worst hostel I ever stayed. I stayed here for 6 nights. - of the 6 nights I stayed here, I was just able to take a shower 2 times (almost every morning no water, so also no flushing toilets) - All the bathrooms were really dirty, also often no toilet paper. - they have bed bugs and don{t do anyting about it. One girl told them about it and she moved beds, and then they gave me this bed (I only found out the last day). - ask for a receipt after you pay cash, they might charge you twice

Amazing staff, good vibes for sure!

th atmosphere is pretty good, the owner is very nice, speak spanish. but i was in a room with 13 more people nd the inernet worked vry slowly.

The room where we were supposed to stay was tiny and not clean, and also looked very bad. After complaining we moved to a 4 bed room, it was ok. The people working there were kind and friendly, the most positive thing about our stay. Breakfast isn´t good, it´s kind of cheapy cheap: no marmalade for the toasts, no cakes at all, and almost no fruit (and the fruit that was there was not the best either). DONT TAKE THE YOGHURT. Only cranky people around and cockroaches at night in the kitchen.

• 19th Nov 2013
  • Argentina

Loockers in the room was broken and doors on the bathroom as well.

what it felt like to me is these people killed some rich guy who lived here (b/c ignoring all the filth, it is a nice building). they forgot how to clean quickly, hired some nice/helpful receptionists (no clue why only they are good). realized they needed money to pay the rent so they turned their stolen house into a hostel. all in all, its cheap as hell so its bad as hell. if your desperate and short on cash, go for it. if your not desperate and want to enjoy yourself, don't do it.

• 20th Jul 2013

We stayed for 2 nights, there are not enough bathrooms (second floor only 1 bathroom to 20 people), when I finally got into shower it was totally cold. Paid for washing service that was to be done by that evening, at checkout next day was given a bag of very damp clothes and told dryer was broken, only given half refund when we asked. On checkout day I left room for about 30 seconds to find missing washing and came back to cleaner going through my bag. The 2 reception staff were good.

My last stay in this hostel was terrible!!! We've booked a room for 4 and when we arrived they didn't find the reservation...Finally they got a room, the room was extremely small, the worst part was the smell of mushroom and humidity, so strong that we couldn't stay more than 5 min inside. We changed for a dorm, groud floor next to the reception so impossible to sleep afer 7 am and also they open the door and switch on the light to show the room while you're asleep, and be carefull prices varies

This hostel is good to stay if you are not looking for any good mood, shared experiences and holliday fun. It isn't friendly (staff and guests), but is clean and calm.

• 31st Mar 2012
  • Lithuania

Extremely disorganised, they received hostelworld e-mail but had not booked us a room - were given a 'private double' instead - which was a cupboard behind the kitchen with a double bed touching 3 walls. Air-con leaked all over the 1 foot of floor space. Bathrooms were constantly dirty from over use. Guest kitchen had almost no crockery or cutlery. Staff were unhelpful. THERE IS NO LAUNDRY FACILITIES AVAILABLE - asked staff to remove this from there listing on hostelworld... don't stay here.

PRO: breakfast is great (yet they don't start before 9). This place is cleaner than every other hostel in the world. On my last staying in this hostel I learned that: -check accurately your reservation and print it - for drink, fun during the night, and/or tours you can go to the Bambu hostel, 30 meters away - However DO NOT SLEEP in Bambu hostel! It's filthy. - Ask questions to the staff, they'll be glad to help you

PRO: extremely clean hostel, they do the room everyday. Nice & helpfull staff, good location to the beach (6 mns), the bus (4 mns) and the metro (3 mns). Breakfast is REALLY good (yet only available 9-11AM) CONS:: the staff seem to be always confusing reservations: make sure you got all details (included price can change!). Few bathrooms available (they say they are building a new one), not really party atmosphere (terrace closes at 10PM)

one day there werent any water in the showers and bathrooms for many hours, the staff wasnt helpful and didnt seem like they cared about it. the room was too crowded, wasnt enough air for everybody in the room, my friend and i was sleeping and two guests were doing things on one of the beds above us, and in the morning we found that our towel was participaiting in their act.

View all Rio de Janeiro Hostels