Hostel Casa Colon Reviews

Paseo Colon, 24th Street N, Next to Mercedes Tower, San Jose, Costa Rica

I arrived after 3pm and told check in was at 3:30 when it states 3pm at the notice board. I booked through hostel world and paid a deposit, yet I had to pay full price ($15) upon arrival. The staff at the time said he didn't have change so I paid later in Colones, was given a terrible exchange rate and once again was overpriced. The staff offered no help whatsoever and didn't show me around the premises. Otherwise, clean hostel and warm showers.

The hostel was located in a convenient part of town. Was able to walk to attractions, food, and parks! The Hostel itself was very nice and the facilities were top notch. Stayed in a private room, so can't comment on the dorms. The private room was spacious and the AC was a nice addition. The Hostel building was of a pretty cool architecture and made the stay enjoyable. The food at the restaurant was good for late night snacks and reasonably priced.

• 6th Jul 2015

This hostel is right by a busy street, which made it a bit challenging to get a good night's sleep. This is a nice, clean hostel, however it doesn't have much of a community feel.

Really beautiful hostel with breakfast included for private rooms. At night though, we went out for food and felt slightly unsafe. When returning, the person working the front desk was "away from the desk for 15 minutes" (a sign was posted) and so we weren't let in. We just had to wait outside the door in the dark. Other guests tried to open the door, but it can't be open without the front desk person pushing a button.

• 30th Jun 2015

Beautiful building, not really set up as a hostel though. Lighting in the rooms is terrible: too dark to read by by a big glare in your eyes all the time. Indirect lighting would be nice. And, no reading lights on the bunks. Staff was never unpleasant but not often helpful. There was no internet for one day and no one on duty made an attempt to correct the situation. It was corrected the next day, but the Internet is important to me and my business.

Really near of ticabus

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Mexico

Luckily the dorm was full so I got a free upgrade to a double room. The hostel is perfectly located for people arriving/leaving on Ticabus. Due to the set up and decor you really don't feel like you're in a hostel at all.

This place was excellent. After all the cross-country traveling we did, it was very nice to come back to a clean, modern, and quiet spot for a couple of nights. If you're looking for party central, maybe think Pangea, but Casa Colon was absolutely perfect. Low key, very affordable accommodations for the private room, and when our shower's cold water didn't work, they even gave us a discount on our second night! Very satisfied, will stay here again.

It's hard to believe this place is a hostel. The size of the rooms, the standard of the common areas, the cleanliness, and the incredible arqitecture makes it feel much more like a hotel. And still, the prices are completely bearable, even for backpackers who're on a budget. The breakfast was a bit cheap though; the eggs were boring and the portions small, but aside from that, the stay was absolutely perfect. And best of all: the service and the smile of the receptionist Juliana :)

Overall, this is an ok place to spend a couple of nights. The public bus from the airport actually stops at the bus stop in front of the hostel. However, I learned this through experience. I think the hostel should have this explanation on their website, and inform those who call for directions. I asked the person at the reception to be placed in a room with females. When I went in the room there was no one; however at 2:30 a.m., a male customer came in the room. It felt a little weird.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Turkey

Feels more like a hotel. Noisy area (car alarm going off in the morning both nights). Staff didn't have any tips for exploring the city and said to get out of San Jose. Hard to meet people, not many are hanging out in the lobby. Overall a good place to stay if you are looking for a comfortable place to hit the sack early.