Hostel Casa Colon Reviews

Paseo Colon, 24th Street N, Next to Mercedes Tower, San Jose, Costa Rica

This place was excellent. After all the cross-country traveling we did, it was very nice to come back to a clean, modern, and quiet spot for a couple of nights. If you're looking for party central, maybe think Pangea, but Casa Colon was absolutely perfect. Low key, very affordable accommodations for the private room, and when our shower's cold water didn't work, they even gave us a discount on our second night! Very satisfied, will stay here again.

Overall, this is an ok place to spend a couple of nights. The public bus from the airport actually stops at the bus stop in front of the hostel. However, I learned this through experience. I think the hostel should have this explanation on their website, and inform those who call for directions. I asked the person at the reception to be placed in a room with females. When I went in the room there was no one; however at 2:30 a.m., a male customer came in the room. It felt a little weird.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Turkey

Feels more like a hotel. Noisy area (car alarm going off in the morning both nights). Staff didn't have any tips for exploring the city and said to get out of San Jose. Hard to meet people, not many are hanging out in the lobby. Overall a good place to stay if you are looking for a comfortable place to hit the sack early.

The stuff in Casa Colon is very friendly and helpful! The shared dorm was clean and beds were comfortable. The restaurant has great dinner! The Bathrooms are fine as well. Unfortunately the breakfast is not included. But nevertheless I can definitely recommend this hostel!

Excellent spot, good value, some rooms are noisy. Would stay again.

• 7th Apr 2015

The staff was very friendly and helpful! We will stay there again.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The hostel was okay but there were several problems and inconsistencies. I wasn't given a towel, despite the fact that it was supposed to be included. I was charged the full amount of the room, despite having already paid a portion through the web site. I was put in an 8 bed dorm though I had paid for a 6 bed dorm. The key card machine broke, so they had to have a manager let everyone into their rooms every time we wanted to enter. And throughout all of this, the staff was rude and unapologetic.

Chose this hostel because it was close to the bus station. Very nice atmosphere and architecture; one of the nicer hostels I've stayed in. Not too far from downtown either.

• 31st Mar 2015

Large, very clean hostel. Stayed in a dorm room that was clean though a bit loud from traffic outside (bring earplugs). The staff were very helpful and the wifi was very fast. There is no kitchen to use but there is restaurant options inside. It's about a ten minute walk to the Centro area which may be a disadvantage for some but I think it's quite nice - makes for a quieter area. Felt safe walking around in the evening, just use your common sense.

• 29th Mar 2015

More of a hotel with bunk beds then hostel, but I had a really good stay. Located very close to the downtown, the hostel also has a seating area and a bar within if you fancy a quiet few at the hostel. A good place to stay, would recommend.

Casa Colon is conveniently located near the center of San Jose. Our flight got in late and by the time we made it to the hostel, it was already 3AM, however someone was at the desk, ready to check us in. We rented a private room which was clean, comfortable, had a bathroom and a plasma TV! The free breakfast is delicious so definitely make time for that. When we asked for eating recommendations, the staff was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommended! No need to look elsewhere.

Lovely building, reasonably cared for and modernised. Stayed in a dorm room which had a very squeaky door and one of the bunk beds made a lot of noise. Not great in a dorm room with the obvious human traffic. Could be easily sorted with a little maintenance. Soap dispensers are provided in the shared bathrooms but a lot were empty or broken. Again should be easily delt with by routine maintenance.

Great clean hostel!!!! Really close to Tica bus and scotia bank!!! I only stayed for a night but I would certainly go back!!!! More like a hotel!!!

Good hostel that looks like a hotel, with really good beds. We stayed in a 6-bed dorm in the back of the building, so it was quiet. Toilets & showers outside but near our room. Breakfast is NOT INCLUDED for dorm beds (it's 4$ extra). They kept our bags for free for a few hours. It's just 5-10mins from the main city centre pedestrian streets.

The place was really lovely designed. Not your typical backpacker place with such a formal breakfast room and felt the lounge - though very pretty - was a little uncomfortable to hang around in. However, there are lots of little spots around the hostel that you can sit yourself down on and the beds were truly great. Friendly staff too. Would have loved some hooks in the bathroom.

Great place to stay. Staff was awesome and location is great. Close to the Tica Bus terminal is a plus.

This hostel is extremely loud being on the main street. Not having a kitchen or even fridge to place chilled items in is really poor. The shower area was dirty and the showers I see didn't drain properly, leaving you to stand in two inches of water.

Great place to stay if you need to get to the Norte Atlantico/transporte Cobano bus. Cheap and quick taxi, but also easy to walk. The hostel is really easy to spot from the city bus from the airport. It can be a little loud in the rooms that face the main street. Ear plugs :) Overall its a good hostel, I've stayed twice and would do so again.

Its worth the money

Beautiful place. Felt like a hotel. Shared dorms were good too. Comfiest beds of my whole 2 month trip. Food is yummy and very reasonable. The shared bathrooms and showers are small and takes a while for the water to heat up but all eco-friendly.