Hostel Casa Colon Reviews

Paseo Colon, 24th Street N, Next to Mercedes Tower, San Jose, Costa Rica

The hostel was located in a convenient part of town. Was able to walk to attractions, food, and parks! The Hostel itself was very nice and the facilities were top notch. Stayed in a private room, so can't comment on the dorms. The private room was spacious and the AC was a nice addition. The Hostel building was of a pretty cool architecture and made the stay enjoyable. The food at the restaurant was good for late night snacks and reasonably priced.

• 6th Jul 2015

This hostel is right by a busy street, which made it a bit challenging to get a good night's sleep. This is a nice, clean hostel, however it doesn't have much of a community feel.

Really beautiful hostel with breakfast included for private rooms. At night though, we went out for food and felt slightly unsafe. When returning, the person working the front desk was "away from the desk for 15 minutes" (a sign was posted) and so we weren't let in. We just had to wait outside the door in the dark. Other guests tried to open the door, but it can't be open without the front desk person pushing a button.

• 30th Jun 2015

Beautiful building, not really set up as a hostel though. Lighting in the rooms is terrible: too dark to read by by a big glare in your eyes all the time. Indirect lighting would be nice. And, no reading lights on the bunks. Staff was never unpleasant but not often helpful. There was no internet for one day and no one on duty made an attempt to correct the situation. It was corrected the next day, but the Internet is important to me and my business.

Really near of ticabus

• 19th Jun 2015
  • Mexico

Luckily the dorm was full so I got a free upgrade to a double room. The hostel is perfectly located for people arriving/leaving on Ticabus. Due to the set up and decor you really don't feel like you're in a hostel at all.

This place was excellent. After all the cross-country traveling we did, it was very nice to come back to a clean, modern, and quiet spot for a couple of nights. If you're looking for party central, maybe think Pangea, but Casa Colon was absolutely perfect. Low key, very affordable accommodations for the private room, and when our shower's cold water didn't work, they even gave us a discount on our second night! Very satisfied, will stay here again.

It's hard to believe this place is a hostel. The size of the rooms, the standard of the common areas, the cleanliness, and the incredible arqitecture makes it feel much more like a hotel. And still, the prices are completely bearable, even for backpackers who're on a budget. The breakfast was a bit cheap though; the eggs were boring and the portions small, but aside from that, the stay was absolutely perfect. And best of all: the service and the smile of the receptionist Juliana :)

Overall, this is an ok place to spend a couple of nights. The public bus from the airport actually stops at the bus stop in front of the hostel. However, I learned this through experience. I think the hostel should have this explanation on their website, and inform those who call for directions. I asked the person at the reception to be placed in a room with females. When I went in the room there was no one; however at 2:30 a.m., a male customer came in the room. It felt a little weird.

• 25th Apr 2015
  • Turkey

Feels more like a hotel. Noisy area (car alarm going off in the morning both nights). Staff didn't have any tips for exploring the city and said to get out of San Jose. Hard to meet people, not many are hanging out in the lobby. Overall a good place to stay if you are looking for a comfortable place to hit the sack early.

The stuff in Casa Colon is very friendly and helpful! The shared dorm was clean and beds were comfortable. The restaurant has great dinner! The Bathrooms are fine as well. Unfortunately the breakfast is not included. But nevertheless I can definitely recommend this hostel!

Excellent spot, good value, some rooms are noisy. Would stay again.

• 7th Apr 2015

The staff was very friendly and helpful! We will stay there again.

• 4th Apr 2015
  • Couple, 41+

The hostel was okay but there were several problems and inconsistencies. I wasn't given a towel, despite the fact that it was supposed to be included. I was charged the full amount of the room, despite having already paid a portion through the web site. I was put in an 8 bed dorm though I had paid for a 6 bed dorm. The key card machine broke, so they had to have a manager let everyone into their rooms every time we wanted to enter. And throughout all of this, the staff was rude and unapologetic.

Chose this hostel because it was close to the bus station. Very nice atmosphere and architecture; one of the nicer hostels I've stayed in. Not too far from downtown either.

• 31st Mar 2015

Large, very clean hostel. Stayed in a dorm room that was clean though a bit loud from traffic outside (bring earplugs). The staff were very helpful and the wifi was very fast. There is no kitchen to use but there is restaurant options inside. It's about a ten minute walk to the Centro area which may be a disadvantage for some but I think it's quite nice - makes for a quieter area. Felt safe walking around in the evening, just use your common sense.

• 29th Mar 2015

More of a hotel with bunk beds then hostel, but I had a really good stay. Located very close to the downtown, the hostel also has a seating area and a bar within if you fancy a quiet few at the hostel. A good place to stay, would recommend.

Casa Colon is conveniently located near the center of San Jose. Our flight got in late and by the time we made it to the hostel, it was already 3AM, however someone was at the desk, ready to check us in. We rented a private room which was clean, comfortable, had a bathroom and a plasma TV! The free breakfast is delicious so definitely make time for that. When we asked for eating recommendations, the staff was helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. Highly recommended! No need to look elsewhere.

Lovely building, reasonably cared for and modernised. Stayed in a dorm room which had a very squeaky door and one of the bunk beds made a lot of noise. Not great in a dorm room with the obvious human traffic. Could be easily sorted with a little maintenance. Soap dispensers are provided in the shared bathrooms but a lot were empty or broken. Again should be easily delt with by routine maintenance.

Great clean hostel!!!! Really close to Tica bus and scotia bank!!! I only stayed for a night but I would certainly go back!!!! More like a hotel!!!