Hostel Casa del Parque Reviews

Calle 19 Avenida 3era Casa, In front of the northestern corner of National Par, San Jose, Costa Rica

Extremely friendly and knowledgable staff. Locals were a bit confused about the park name, referred to it as 'parque central'. Safe, secure hostel. Good international ambiance! Highly recommend staying there!!

• 13th Sep 2014

Very low price for a night in the dorm, quiet area, beautiful and spacious building, very clean too. If you're looking for a place to party, that's not the right one, but if you just got out of a long flight and need a good night's rest, this is a great hostel.

• 6th Sep 2014
  • Belgium

Overall quite good. The staff is professional, attentive and responsive. Although I didn't take advantage of it, there are two common rooms and a nice kitchen. The room that I stayed in next to the registration office can be a bit noisy before official quiet hours at 9 or 10 (I forget when) but is quiet after. The door to the room lacks a room number or any indication that it is a private room, and not part of the office, maybe that's why somebody knocked at 5am looking for a staff member.

• 5th Sep 2014

Ok first of all. This place is the Marriot of hostels. Second, 10 usd per night? In San Jose? I've stayed in many hostels over the years and you can tell a lot by seeing how bathrooms are kept. The banos were immaculate. Faculty was extremely helpful and English speaking 100% for those who don't know espanol. Highly recommend and will stay here again, won't even bother looking at other options.

• 5th Sep 2014
  • Belgium

I wish I could stay longer. Wonderful vibe from the environment, to the staff

• 4th Sep 2014

Another shower would be good. But I dig the spot! The garden is nice. I would just say more shower facilities with more hot water.

• 30th Aug 2014

The shower was soooo cold. And there is only one shower room for about 20 people. Wifi was no strong and we can use it around reception only. Room,kitchen, share space is good.

we are sorry to hear the hostel did not meet your expectation, the shower does have hot water, you just have to adjust the water pressure to get the shower head working and have in mind that cellphone wireless cards are not as strong as laptop ones, still i use my phone and laptop in the garden, kitchen, TV room and living room; next time please talk to the staff so we can clear this subjects, i hope the rest of your travels in Costa Rica were great

I stayed 4 nights the beginning of my trip and the last day before i left. My experience was wonderful. Hostel Casa del Parque is not just a great house-turned-hostel, for its great space and relaxed environment, the owners and staff are really amazing individuals. The Kitchen is extremely convenient to cook with, and the communal areas are very quiet. Roger and Fred are great help if you have any questions with tour expeditions or any transportation needs.

Love this place. Has a very quaint and welcoming vibe. The staff is also very awesome and friendly. Recommended highly if you are staying with n San Jose.

The place is really difficult to get back into if you stay out past ten without having planned to. Quite quiet and relaxed. Lovely place and good facilities.

Overall good stay, much better than casa yoses where I stayed before in SJ. Room is just a loft with single beds so no bunks. It's just a converted house so nicer than other places in town and it was fine for an heap overnight stay. Not the best place to hang but the staff and people staying there were cool. Right above national parque and nearby avenue central and the artisan market. Close to 2 am/pm stores with ATMs. No breakfast or coffee but good wifi and next to a taxi hub

In all my travels up and down South and Central America, this hostel ranks in the top three ever that I've stayed at. Big rooms and a great atmosphere, if you want to go to bed at a reasonable hour, quiet hours start at 10, but if you want to stay up later, there is a room with a flatscreen and you can always find great company there.

• 23rd Aug 2014

It's not clean to have a cat running around everywhere, when I entered the room it was on my bed. When giving advice they alwas say to get to the bus station 1 hour early and it's not necessary. They need to put more outlets in the dorm, there was just 2 or 3 for 10 beds.

• 18th Aug 2014
  • El Salvador

Hello, we are sorry that our little hostel did not meet your expectations, its our general advice to tell people to show early to the bus station in case there is a big line, i guess you got lucky the day you traveled that there wasnt as many people, the hostel is the last house on the are dating to 1950, considered national patrimony so the don't let us modify the power grid so we cant add more outlets, we are also sorry you don't like cats. i hope the rest of your travels in CR was great.

Casa del Parque is a wonderful little hostel close to all main bus stations and a very short walk to downtown San Jose. There are several good and inexpensive places to eat nearby although there is a kitchen in the hostel itself. The staff is incredibly friendly and have all your answers. It is very cozy and has a nice tv room with comfy couches. There is a nice little outdoor patio in the back. I have things with them for weeks at a time as I made trips around costa rica and never had a problem

• 18th Aug 2014

Most beautiful hostel I've stayed at in Central America. Enormous house, homey feeling and beautiful backyard. The dorm has normal, single beds as opposed to bunk beds. I am going back in a couple of weeks actually -- liked it that much.

The house was gorgeous! I wish I could see how it looked in its glory days. I loved that there were plants everywhere. The common areas were comfortable and the hosts were very friendly and helpful. Wish I had spent more time chatting with them! The only minor issue I had was with the bathrooms. The on-demand water heater shower heads were haphazardly wired and zapped my tall boyfriend. Could use some updates, but very charming hostel.

• 11th Aug 2014

I LOVE this hostel. Definitely my #1 for San José. Most hostels are dirty and uncomfortable, but for me, Casa del Parque was like taking a break from my travels to go home for a bit. The kitchen is fully equipped with everything you would need to make a full meal. There's a beautiful garden in the back to hang out with others. The TV room has two big comfy couches that feel just like home. The owners Roger and Federico are very helpful, personable and cool guys. And the pillows are so fluffy! :)

• 29th Jul 2014

The hostel has a good location and is very nice house. Facilities are good. Everything quite excellent. The only thing is the noise from the disco nearby which unberable. It's non stop until 4 am. If you want to have a good sleep better take hearplugs with you.

• 23rd Jul 2014
  • Switzerland

We are sorry you had problems sleeping, we are working with the city health official to reduce the sound from the bar 3 blocks away from us so the sonic contamination is reduced, we hope the rest of your vacation in the country was great.

Staff was very accommodating with directions and helping us catch the correct bus to La Fortuna. There is only one shower in the establishment for about 14ish peoplem which was not ideal. Nice outdoor patio and reading room area.

Having to pay for a towel was disappointing, "king bed" was actually 2 twins put side by side, people were loud at night, staff not very friendly and acted like we were bothering them by checking in to the hostel.

• 19th Jul 2014

Hello, Im sorry our little place did not expectations, please have in mind that we are hostel not a hotel, all of city hostels and beach places dont include towels in our case we charge a simbolic amount of $2 to cover the cost of washing and drying, im sorry that was steep for you, we cant control other peoples voices but we do shut down at ten so we all rest, and I can assure we do mind checking people in, sorry if you felt it that way I hope the rest of your vacation In CR was Good

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4