Hostel Casa del Parque Reviews

Calle 19 Avenida 3era Casa, In front of the northestern corner of National Par, San Jose, Costa Rica

This place is really very lovely. Excellent location, a quick walk to the center, but just outside and enough to feel a world away. Two blocks from a great strip of local bars, some with live music. A few very good restaurants within a few blocks also. Roger is really a great guy and will go out of his way to help with whatever you need. Wonderful experience and met so many great people there I stayed for a few extra days.

• 2nd Jan 2015

Good location, well equipped kitchen, overall nice and quiet hostel.

1 shower room and 2 toilets for about 12 beds. Manager civil at best. Staff not very knowledgeable. I'm sure there are much better places to stay in San Jose.

Hello, Im sorry to hear that the hostel did not meet your expectations, the house where you stayed is national patrimony since its one of the last house in the middle of city and in front of the park, the government doesn't let us make additions or rebuild the place that's why we have to make do with one bathroom, im also sorry the staff could answer all of your questions after all we are all human, we have travel guides which you can borrow, hope the rest of your travels was ok

Great location to stay while at San Jose, not in the middle of the hustle of downtown but safe to walk to/from and short distance to downtown. The house itself is very unique, vintage and welcoming. We loved the little communal garden. We stayed at a private room, which was huge but the creaky bed and floors were a bit uncomfortable though we loved the antique feel of the house. Overall it was great value for what we paid.

This is one of the finest establishments out there! It made San Jose one of my favorite cities! Great staff, and I mean AWESOME! Gorgeous and exceptionally Clean building with all the comforts of home. Amazing kitchen, beautiful garden for relaxing, wonderful, generous and beautiful people! Thanks for the songs and sunshine! And the endlessly tasty meals!!! Can't wait to come back! See you soon! :)

• 18th Dec 2014

The 10-bed-dorm has especially one window that cannot be closed or covered with anything, thus it was windy and quite cold in the dorm and I had to wear a pullover in my bed to feel warm enough, other guests were telling the same. The rest was fine.

• 15th Dec 2014

Hello, im sorry to hear you had problems with the shared dorm, the window you mention can be closed, its left open because the room heats up with the morning sun, you could have just told the staff and they would have closed it for you, i hope the rest of your vacation was to your liking

Hostel del Parque, in what was once someone's luxurious home across from Parque National, is one of the best places I've stayed, thus far, in Central America. It certainly has the best equiped kitchen I've seen in any hostel. And Roger, the manager, is extremely friendly and helpful. The hostel's an easy walk from many historic buildings, the main pedestrian shopping street and the wonderful market. That said, the hostel owners should improve, or fix the shower water heater.

Beautiful building, helpful and generous staff, very clean. The dorm room is exceptional: no bunk beds and plenty of personal space. Pleasantly social without being disruptive (not a party hostel). Definately one of the best hostels I've stayed in.

We (as a couple) really enjoyed our stay with this hostel, got a private room for a really cheap price and worth it and breakfast is include, you cant get better for the price and quality.

Beautiful hostel with a lot of spirit, history and atmosphere. It is on the quieter end of the hostel scale (suited me), but I still had plenty of interactions with the other guests. Well run in a very personable way, the place seems like a real labour of love. Could do with an extra bathroom, but I didn't have any problem accessing the shower or loos. Otherwise I can't fault the place; highly recommended.

• 22nd Nov 2014

Great hostel if you want a chilled vibe, feels very homely.

fantastic place! Staff were the best ever, so personally caring! inner spring mattresses = happy sleep!!

• 13th Nov 2014

The house itself is very nice but it is a little loud though. The staff was ok but I had the feeling that I disturbed them when I had questions. The atmosphere was not that nice but that was because of the people who were staying there. Only very few were openminded and open for talks.

We booked the offered airport pick up.But nobody showed up.They offered it for 29USD. First Taxi driver at the airport said 30USD. So it would not have been a great deal anyway. Our PRIVATE room was above the garage with no door. Staff started drinking on the terrace in the afternoon and after a while they were really drunk and loud. Can not recomment this place

Im sorry our hostel did not meet your expectations, unfortunately we cannot control the driver having car problems... all taxi drivers have a flat rate of $30, sorry the room was not of your liking, its the biggest we have and the only one with view to the mountain, you may have confused the staff with other guests since the staff is just me and the maid, also have in mind that quiet time is after 10pm, until then other guests have the right to make use of our facilities

Great atmosphere, close to a sweet park, Roger cooks a mean breakfast. Place was really nice inside, it had a cool historic feel and was very comfortable. Price was right and we felt very secure inside. We brought our 9 month old son and he was crawling around meeting new friendly people.

• 29th Oct 2014

Everything is more than excellent! It's the best hostel I've been to in quite a while. Super clean and the staff is amazing. I recommend this place to everyone

• 16th Oct 2014
  • Costa Rica

I arrived late and tried the buzzer, and started to get quite worried when they didn't answer and all the windows were dark. I waited almost 10 minutes for someone to come let me in. In the following days it was hard to find staff around - sometimes they left completely. When I did find a staff member, they weren't the most friendly. I also found that most of the people in the hostel were pretty quiet, it's not the best place to socialize.

Good stay. Staff nice, and the building was great. Room clean, bathroom could be improved. Bed was comfy though, overall we would recommend it! Great value for a short stay!

I stayed only one night but they made me feel like home... there is only one shower but the rest of the house is well decorated and the staff is great

• 3rd Oct 2014
  • Costa Rica

had a great time at hostel casa del parque, kitchen is fully equipped and there are no bunk beds! will visit again

• 27th Sep 2014