Hostel Casa del Parque Reviews

Calle 19 Avenida 3era Casa, In front of the northestern corner of National Par, San Jose, Costa Rica

I stayed for 10 days in a private room with bathroom and not once the room was cleaned by the hostel staff. They only clean the shared bathroom and common areas. The room was big and comfortable, but also a bit dark and mouldy.

hello julianna, im sorry our hostel did not meet your expectations.. you did stayed here 10 days, but you always left in the morning and came back at night and never authorized us to come into the room and clean... as you saw we wash the sheets everyday but you never handed in yours... this is a hostel not a hotel, im sorry your first experience in a hostel may have been a shock to you i hope the rest of your travels turned out ok

It was a nice stay for the beginning of Costa Rica, but the bathrooms were not so good! The stuff was really helpfull and all in all we would come back again!

• 28th Nov 2015

hello malina, im sorry our hostel did not meet your expectations, im sorry you didnt liked the bathrooms, we try to keep them as clean as possible but they are almost 100 years old as this house is national patrimony, i hope the rest of your vacations were great

Nice bog villa in great location. In the middle of the city center and same block as a few really cool bars. Staff was helpful and kitchen good. Could have a few more bathrooms, only were two or tree and they were occupied a lot.

Lovely homely hostel! Building is great and has a nice kitchen. Value for money hostel! RECOMMEND!!!! Tip: If getting a taxi from bus station (ours was station from puerto viajo), do not pay more than $3-4. Taxi drivers try to mug you off (ours tried to take us to another town due to a strike the next day which was a lie and then put the meter up to 9,000 cols or $18. If this happens, don't pay and go inside the hostel and the owner will sort it out- has done this for loads of people before!

An amazing place to stay if you are in a cheap budget travelling to san jose. we felt really safe there, we were surrounded by everything we needed in a safe neighborhood. It is really clean and felt like a hotel ! Really loved that place and we will go back :-)

A big house which has been made into a hostel. Nice sitting area and tv room, kitchen and garden. Wasn't a fan of the 10 bed dorm as very open and we realised people from dorms downstairs were coming up to use bathroom as only one other bathroom downstairs. Would stay again if passing through.

Good hostel, good people...worth it!

The welcome was great and the staff generally friendly and helpful and the atmosphere is homely and welcoming. However, in our room, The bedcover was dirty and smelly, the skirting board was very dusty and dirty, the bathroom sink was cracked and the water did not flow away. We were surprised that we had to pay extra for towels, as for this quality it was not a budget price.

• 30th Oct 2015
  • Couple, 41+

This hostel is housed in a beautiful old mansion, located directly across the national park and within a few blocks of the main city area. The vibe in the hostel was very home-like, especially with the big puppy dog welcoming everyone around. We got a private room and it was massive. We did have some trouble with the plumbing though, as with most old houses. The hostel offers to arrange tours of you and the staff are very helpful about things like public transportation and recommendations.

• 28th Oct 2015
  • India

Nice location next to a park. I arrived in early evening and it felt very secure because there is a gate around the courtyard entrance. The staff were very friendly and helpful. There was a nice TV room for lounging, kitchen, and outdoor patio. The dorm rooms are spacious and don't have bunk beds, so it didn't feel cramped like some hostels. There's a wide open space downstairs, too. A friendly calico cat and German Shepherd live here. It's about a 10 minute walk to a supermarket.

Amazing hostel ! By far the best hostel in San Jose. The house is absolutely beautiful, clean, and the garden is a great place to hang out. The atmosphere was really relaxed and friendly, and the staff made me feel at home. Will definitely recomend !

• 21st Oct 2015

Really nice hostel with a really nice staff as well as a cat and a dog, who make you even feel more home.

• 20th Oct 2015

Great location walking distance to the main street in town. Friendly staff with all the info you need onot what to see and do in San Jose and also how to leave to other parts of Costa Rica. Saw that heaps of people complained about the dog but the dogs freaking awesome!

Received an email after I booked here online that said the price for my room was actually $38 per night. The hostel was pretty clean with the exception of my bathroom floor. The last night there we were brought in from the courtyard at 10pm per the usual quiet time. I went to bed, as I had an early shuttle. Shortly after, people, including the volunteer on duty resumed partying in the courtyard. My window had missing louvers and did not close and faced the courtyard. Annoying.

• 15th Oct 2015

It was a nice place to stay. My boyfriend and I just needed a place to spend the night and get some rest before heading out of San Jose and found a great place to do so in Casa del Parque. Towels were extra- charge and we HAD to ask for toilet paper, but other than that, the place is exactly what advertised. There is a dog in house - it didnt botter my boyfriend or I at all, but just a warning in case of allergic people.

• 11th Oct 2015
  • Costa Rica

It had very clean roomsrooms and bathrooms, also the people where super kind,politepolite, helpful and fun. The hostel is like an old Costarican mansion so it has an air of magic. I highly recommend it :D

• 20th Sep 2015
  • Argentina

Same review as my first visit. As a returning guest, I was really well greeted !

Unfriendly staff and very unclean. Mouse in the kitchen and need warnin regarding the dog that also lives at the hostel. Smelt like wet dog.

Hello, im sorry to hear that our hostel did not meet your expectations,please have in mind that its rainy season and we have a park that is 2 block size right in front of us, im sorry you had to see a mouse in the kitchen, we fumigate once a week to avoid pest but with the rain their home get washed out and they start to find a new one, luckily the cat and the dog keeps them at bay so it was a rare thing that you found one i wish you would have talked to us about it when you checked out

Great place to stay in San Jose ! One of my favourite hostels. The place was beautiful and a great atmosphere to match! The communal areas were filled with other travellers which added to the whole experience. There were only a few minor issues. One shower was shared between 12+ people and a 10pm curfew. Will most definitely come back!

Great hostel! Stayed here before my flight out and while it was quite social its the best place to get a decent nights sleep a hot shower and use the kitchen! The staff and volunteers are awesome! So helpful! The place is beautiful! I felt at home

• 11th Sep 2015