Hostel Centraal Reviews

Plantage Kerklaan 19, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Sockets were hanging out of the walls, there were bare wires in the room, one plug socket for the whole room, toilet didn't flush properly, strange smell in the bathroom, room was really stuffy, stairs were way to narrow. The directions aren't accurate, the tram stop is called Artis, walk towards the zoo and then you turn right at the crossroads. Wouldn't recommend it

The place is not that bad, but if you book online only for one night, you will pay more that the stablished on the website. There is no lockers. They charge 5€ extra if you pay by card.

• 28th Nov 2015
  • Spain

-Not entirely hostel's fault, accommodation in Amsterdam seems expensive, but c'mon this hostell is not worth 48€/night. Room for six was super small, not too much place to put your stuff and one toilet/shower it was not the best for big group. -Before arrival I sent an email and got an answer that the payment is flexible, but when we arrived, it surely wasn't! -Site said "all taxes included", but no little print "city tax not included", I feel scammed! Totally wrong way to attract people!

• 20th Nov 2015
  • Finland

Wifi didnt work for me the whole weekend. Also the sign says breakfast and there is none.

• 20th Nov 2015

The hostel is located in a quite street just outside the centre. Maybe 15 minutes walk to Dam square. There was just one socket between six beds in the room, which made charging phones quite difficult. Staff were friendly and helpful. Bikes were available to rent but there was no lockers to rent as the room was too small for them. I would stay here again only if there were no better options available. I hope they improve the hostel in the future :-)

We booked this hostel very last minute (booked on Wednesday, arrived on Friday), and this was the best option that had availability. Very unimpressed with the common room/reception area/common room, but beds were comfortable, hostel was clean, and there was wifi. I didn't have any major complaints - other than loud people in our room - but definitely book further in advance and get a nicer/cheaper place.

• 13th Nov 2015

The staff are terrible! They overcharged us and barged into our room early in the morning to move us to a large door (we had booked a private) when we asked for money back due to us paying for a expensive private room the owner got very aggressive and extremely rude. In short we got completely ripped off by these cowboys and I DO NOT recommend this hostel to anyone. It's dirty and a 25 minute walk from the city with nothing around it but kebab shops. The wifi didn't work and rooms were damp

• 6th Nov 2015
  • Wales

I thought the staff was excellent and the place clean. I just wish the beds were more sturdy. Every time the person above me in my bunk moved it felt like an earthquake.

• 6th Nov 2015

Who charges 5 euros for a linen... :( no common place...no atmosphere...

Staff and atmosphere wasn't great. Bunk beds were very wobbly and creaky so every time some one got up it woke half the room up. I stayed in a much better hostel a few days later for the same price. Really not worth it!!

The guy at the front desk doesn't not know how to run a business. The bunk beds are nasty, rooms are way too cramped, and the staff is unhelpful in every way you can imagine. I have traveled and stayed in 50 hostels... One of the worst

It was that bad, it made it funny.

• 9th Oct 2015
  • All Male Group, 31-40

The staff are courteous and speak many languages. Very helpful too. The rooms get a clean daily. Nice and quiet. Not too close to the centre of town. 20 minute walk. But 5 minutes on tram which stops around the corner. Small rooms. Safe and secure. The lockers only fit hand luggage nothing too big, but staff ensure rooms are secure. Altogether a good stay of 5 days

Really clean, really comfortable beds ... Actually one of the nicest hostel dorms I've slept in!

• 17th Sep 2015

Our room was shabby with only one 'wet room' (a non-enclosed shower with a toilet & sink meaning the whole bathroom was soaking wet at all times) to share between 12 people... I think there is a newly renovated room downstairs, annoying that they probably paid the same price and got a far superior experience. Common area was too small for size of the hostel. The kitchen was well equipped and new but again too small for the size of the hostel. Decent location but at least 30 min walk to centre.

Met great people during my stay and had fun socializing, very clean room, good location, nice staff

It's really expensive place to stay, but it isn't worth paying because the room is really small, toilet is dirty, shower isn't working well, there is no handsoap and no hand towel. There should be a couch in the common rooms to make it more comfortable

toilet isn't working carpet is dirty and wasn't replaced for ages beds are metal frame and they make noise when you turn and entire bed is shifting when you try to turn power outlet is broken and wire of 220 volts is shown which create hazardous situation

• 17th Aug 2015

Very expensive for what you get. We were in the 12 bed mixed ensuite. My sheets smelt pretty bad, I went downstairs and asked for a locker but I was told to just use the bedroom as a locker. Very close to the centre, 10/15 minute walk which was good.

Very little rooms. Bathrooms without shower separation. No personal light or power plug in each bed. No breakfast included.

• 14th Aug 2015