Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam Reviews

Frans van Mierisstraat 69 A, 1071 RL, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Worst hostel I've stayed at. Everything they advertise is false, besides their cat. Their "laid back" atmosphere is no drinking or smoking, no friends/visitors, showing a card proving you stay there along with name and room number each time you enter. Rooms are small, cramped and extremely hot. One shower/bathroom per floor with no cold water. The only positive thing about this hostel is I saw a lot of Amsterdam in attempt to say out of the hostel as much as possible.

• 3rd Jul 2015

Dear Guest, We are surrounded with bars to get drunk and coffeeshops . Indeed we think a laid back atmosphere means no drunk agressive people or a hostel full with smoke. We try to protect our guests and staff and do not allow non-guests, we are not ashamed of this. Yes, we like to see your card when entering, as we have several staff members. The heat was in the whole country and is rear in Holland. You choose the cheapest room with most beds and shared bathroom. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

The lobby was under construction so there wasn't really a place to hangout except on one chair in the hallway. There were only 2 bathrooms, but it was nice to have a private bathroom when you could get in. There also wasn't ladders to the bunk beds which made it difficult to climb up. The door was the only way to provide air flow into the room so it was extremely hot and stuffy and light came in early and strong due to the door being open.

• 3rd Jul 2015

It was a great location and the staff were very helpful. As a woman travelling alone I felt very safe in this hostel. However the person to bathroom ratio was way off. There was only one on each floor so I found myself waiting long periods of time to get in. It was also not the most social hostel, as there was no common area to sit and meet people. Overall though itwas very clean and a friendly place to stay.

• 1st Jul 2015

Great location and reasonable price.

• 29th Jun 2015

Good hostel, only a tram away from the centre but there's no lobby. Also the rooms can be very small but over all enjoyed my stay

Hi! Thanks for staying! Our lobby is getting a make over and is ready soon! In the meanwhile we have lovely places around us where you can have a seat and relax. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

I enjoyed this hostel! It is in a different part of Amsterdam by more residential areas so it is very safe! Staff were friendly! I would stay here again for the price.

There are only 2 toilets and showers in the whole hostel.

Hi! Thanks for staying! We like to inform you, that we have more than 2 shared toilets and showers for our shared rooms. This means that every floor has a toilet and shower (renovated). But most of our rooms have their own shower and toilet. You stayed in our cheapest room without bathroom. You can see online, before booking, which room has a bathroom. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

I had a very disappointing experience with this hostel. If you are traveling light and simply looking for a "place to crash", it may be ok. The beds are comfortable and my room was clean. However, the staff was unwelcoming and unfriendly and the place is VERY small and cramped. If you have anything heavy, you'll have a very hard time getting it up the tiny staircase, and when I asked for a luggage room they told me to take my things with me. No kitchen or common area. Never even saw Simba.

Okay so I normally don't book hostels with lower than 80%, but I decided to give this one a chance. BIG MISTAKE!!! The other reviews are right; the staff was incredibly rude to me on arrival; I arrived early (like I had emailed them about) and they gave me a hard time when I wanted to leave my bag there and rent a bike from them!!! The room is SO cramped!!! The knobs on the sink and shower are the kind that have to be pressed every 10 seconds because they shut off. Only nice thing was the wifi.

Hi! Thanks for staying. As mentioned in the e-mail, check in is from 13.00 hours (1 pm) even if you let us know by e-mail. So we are not sure what we did wrong? If possible we would love to rent you a bike, but if there is a reason that you have to wait or you don't accept the conditions, than it can be difficult. Rooms are normal size for an Amsterdam hostel and our showers and toilets are renovated and have modern equipment. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Really friendly staff that was more than willing to help and give advice. Place was pretty clean overall and was a nice location. Simba is the bomb. I would definitely stay here again.

• 18th Jun 2015

Hi! Thanks for staying! Was nice to meet you and having as our guest;) We look forward to welcome you in the future! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

The hostel was clean and the bathrooms were really nice. They need to take one of the rooms and make it a hang out room for the guests. You are not allowed to eat in your room but then there is no hangout place. The lobby isn't the best because there's no music and the staff is ehh. So basically it's awkward to eat here. The location isn't in the center but I enjoyed getting to explore outside of the typical touristy places. Very cute and safe neighborhood and 5 min walk to tram!

The guy in front desk was not helpful or friendly at all. If you arrive early in the morning and you want to take a shower of leave your suitcase before check in (Before 1pm sharp) this is NOT a hostel to book. Plus the guy siting on the desk did not try at all to help. The answer was always No .. No .. No.. Very disappointed. He was very rude. How on earth a hostel does not allow storage suitcase?? or take a shower in the shared showers before check in?

Location is good, but the staff is very dishonest and unfriendly. I would only stay here if there are no other options.

• 13th Jun 2015

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying. However your comment is not fair. In case of a No Show you are charged according the T&C. This does not make us dishonest and unfriendly. We had an empty room, which was reserved for you. If you had checked in and paid, this would not happen. We are happy you liked our location. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

The room was lovely, with a decent window and overall very comfortable. Toilets were clean, but sadly towels and soap were not provided. Also one of the beds sunk in the middle, which was uncomfortable and also very small. Other than that it was a very comfortable stay and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The hostel is really close to the trams and the museums. Its in a really good neighbourhood. That one was one of the most worry free wifi i've had in the hostels so far. Also you can ask questions to the staff and they'll gladly help you.

• 2nd Jun 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

staffs are very helpful n friendly. Quite n peaceful .

Hi! Thanks for staying and review;) Kindest regards, Cosmos staff

My second stay there and I'll go back again.

• 22nd May 2015
  • South Africa

Hi! Thanks for staying again with us;) Was nice to welcome you again! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

The place was best used for a night of sleep. The staff were nice. My only issue is I found dead bugs in my bed and couldn't sleep..

Hi! Thanks for staying:) We have not heard this while you stayed with us, but we could have easily changed your linen. Maybe with the open window nest to your bed and warm weather some harmless flies fell on your bed? Kind regards, Cosmos staff

There was no way to secure your belongings for free. In most hostels, you're offered a drawer/safe that locks so that your items don't get taken. Additionally, when I arrived my bed was definitely slept in--the hostel should have checked prior to my arrival whether my bed was clean.The bathrooms were pretty clean. The price seemed expensive for what we received--33 Euro per person per night. The beds were crammed together. The staff was friendly, however! Good if you only need a place to sleep.

One of the worst hostels I've ever stayed at. They crammed 4 bunk beds into a room made for two. They staff was very unfriendly. They had very little common areas to meet people. A very negative vibe here. They had very odd rules, one of them being that they are not responsible for big bites, which we got. Also they only take cash and charge you for everything. avoid if you plan on going out at night because they are not accommodating. I paid 100 dollars for one night, insane.

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying. We are sorry to hear you had a less pleasant experience than we expect from our guests. We will use your comment to improve our hostel. Prices during holidays and weekends are higher in Amsterdam. We had no reports of any bites? We e-mail you to see what really happenend. We hope you still enjoyed Amsterdam!

« first « Prev 1 2 3