Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam Reviews

Frans van Mierisstraat 69 A, 1071 RL, Amsterdam, Netherlands

They charge too much for most everything. Hostel is going under construction and is incredibly dusty. Wifi is ok, no free lockers. Would not stay here again

Dear Henry, Thank you for your stay! At the moment we are one of the cheaper hostels in Amsterdam. We apologize for the inconvience due to renovations. We thought it did not bother you as you had stayed 1 extra night. We would like to know about the things we charge too much. A locker would cost you Euro 1. Please send us an e-mail, so we can improve. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Great location staff was very nice. Simba the cat is adorable.

The decor and facilties are basic, but is good value for money, if you just want somewhere to sleep for the night. The bedroom was a bit cold. Lockers are available for storage. Good value for money if you just want a bed for the night. Easy to get into central Amsterdam by tram.

• 8th Jan 2015

No visitors allowed as well as no drinking in the rooms doesn't make for a fun hostel. Theres a no smoking rule which is fine - but the hallways stink of smoke. I don't think I would come back.

• 7th Jan 2015

Dear guest, Thank you for your review! We are a bit confused, as you decided to stay 2 more nights, after you wrote this review??? We care about safety and prefer guests only. Also prefer a more laidback atmosphere and no drunk aggresive persons or guests throwing up in their rooms. We had many complaints from other guests about drinking inside. The smoke came from the workers outside because of construction. We still hope you are enjoying Amsterdam as you are still with us;) Cosmos staff

dont expect much, but its still a good value. limited in the number of bathrooms considering how many beds they have. accessible easily from the central train station, or an easy 45 minute walk, a nice one, right past the museums. lobby is small but the staff is nice.

The place was okay for the price and location, but I dont think I gonna be there again. The bathroom doesn't have a place to use a hair dryer and I had to dry my hair in the reception. Other annoying thing that happend was when I arrived during the night and someone just had stolen my bed and putted all my stuff in the other bed in the top.

• 4th Jan 2015

A good place for cheap price, the staff were very nice. A bit out of the way from the center of town, but not too bad.

This hostel was the right price, but could certainly have used some improvements. Best, my room was empty for my entire stay, so I had a whole room to myself. If there had been others, we would've all had to share one wall outlet. Bathrooms are small and constantly wet. Could benefit from more ventilation and light. After a shower, the whole bathroom is damp, and there isn't enough toilet space. Also only 3 shared bathrooms, which were almost always full.

• 2nd Jan 2015

The bathroom was always flooded after people had showers, leaving a quite horrible mess of cold water and other things on the floor of the ensuite. Maybe a bathroom mat would be a good investment !

• 29th Dec 2014

Hi , Thanks for the stay and feedback! Actually the whole room is under renovation at the moment. Come back and see the result;) Kind regards, Cosmos staff

I came to use this hostel as a bed mostly, as I wanted to experience the city and not end up staying in my hostel all day. This was certainly not something to worry about at Cosmos. There was very little more than a bed. In terms of serving it's purpose as simply a place to stay, Cosmos delivered. It was located conveniently by the museum square and was priced very reasonably. It didn't, however, foster a community of travellers and had now frills for your personal comfort.

There is room for almost nothing. The bedrooms are full of beds, few space to walk. There is no kitchen, common place has tables and chairs but the space is very reduced and there is a cat which climbs to the tables to grab the food of the guest. The toilet was dirty. The place was not kind and the staff only sometimes friendly.

Dear guest, We made an exception because your are actually not allowed to stay with us (age limit). We explained this, because we are not suitable for older people. You clearly have not read any of our info or terms and conditions. Online we mention our cat, we never promise a kitchen. We walked with you to see the toilet, was nothing dirty. For the price you paid it is not reasonable to demand hotel service, while you choose to stay in a dorm with others. We will request removal of this review.

The people was nice and the location too. The hostel was dirty because the are fixing it, that is why you can see dirty floor. I just had a problem with the shower that I needed to take cold shower in December in Amsterdam. Otherwise, I complained and the receptionist fixed it and I took a warm shower in the next day.

Not good at all. The bedroom stinks, there are no services for the prices we pay. All the costs are way high (bike rental, locker and safe service) if you compare to other places. It seems they try to get richer in every way they can. The heating system doesn´t work properly and the wifi doesnt work in the bedroom.

Dear Thiago, Thank you for your stay! You choose the biggest and cheapest dorm. You stayed in the cheapest period and paid between 15-25 euro in the weekend. Please advise us what to do with smelly roommates? We wish this would make us rich;) but it is known that in this period, there is no profit. Bikes are from a company not our own and other guests find it cheap. Locker is Eur 1. We checked our heating, it is perfect. WIFI is available, but will be upgraded soon. Kind regards, Cosmos

This is not a social hostel at all. Did some traveling before I got to amsterdam and stayed in a few hostels where I made friends, the opposite of this experience. There is no lobby to comfortably sit in and use the internet to plan the next of your activities, and no way to meet new people in this hostel. They were also doing construction so everything smelled like dry wall and construction materials on top of the usual hostel stink..

• 18th Dec 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying. We actually made an exception for you as we don't accept long term stay. You were allowed to stay for more than 5 nights. Also other guests are all friends that came together, than it can be hard sometimes to meet others. We hope you still enjoyed Amsterdam! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Only think it's missing a common room but apart from that it was a really good and easy stay!

• 15th Dec 2014

Amsterdam is nice and a beautifull city. Hostel is located in a nice area and walkable to hotspots. There is construction going on, but is not really bothering. Also very cheap!

• 14th Dec 2014

good and peaceful environment , friendly people and the most important thing, really near the the city center. I definitely enjoyed my stay in cosmos hostel.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Morocco

Wasn't the most comfortable hostel I've ever stayed in. It was cheap so I couldn't complain too much but don't expect any extras. Room was cramped as I was in a 12 person. A 10 or 8 would've been perfect but the decided to fit 12. Staff was not very friendly. Wifi did not work the 2nd half of the time and no one bothered to fix it. And I guess this goes for most hostels in Amsterdam but they were so strict on the checkout time despite them not being a very busy place!

It is the weirdest hostel i have stayed in.Cannot say that the staff is unfriendly,but they have been very strange.All hostel have some kind of creepy atmosphere around.Maybe the price and location seems good,but wouldnt really reccomend this hostel.

Excellent place. Newly refurbed rooms, friendly staff, in a top location. I live in Amsterdam (I had a couple of days without a house), I know a good hostel from a bad one and it's all good stuff here. They've put a lot of work into doing the place up recently too. I don't usually do Hostelworld reviews but the bad reviews this place has received here have really annoyed me.