Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam Reviews

Frans van Mierisstraat 69 A, 1071 RL, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I had a very disappointing experience with this hostel. If you are traveling light and simply looking for a "place to crash", it may be ok. The beds are comfortable and my room was clean. However, the staff was unwelcoming and unfriendly and the place is VERY small and cramped. If you have anything heavy, you'll have a very hard time getting it up the tiny staircase, and when I asked for a luggage room they told me to take my things with me. No kitchen or common area. Never even saw Simba.

Okay so I normally don't book hostels with lower than 80%, but I decided to give this one a chance. BIG MISTAKE!!! The other reviews are right; the staff was incredibly rude to me on arrival; I arrived early (like I had emailed them about) and they gave me a hard time when I wanted to leave my bag there and rent a bike from them!!! The room is SO cramped!!! The knobs on the sink and shower are the kind that have to be pressed every 10 seconds because they shut off. Only nice thing was the wifi.

Hi! Thanks for staying. As mentioned in the e-mail, check in is from 13.00 hours (1 pm) even if you let us know by e-mail. So we are not sure what we did wrong? If possible we would love to rent you a bike, but if there is a reason that you have to wait or you don't accept the conditions, than it can be difficult. Rooms are normal size for an Amsterdam hostel and our showers and toilets are renovated and have modern equipment. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Really friendly staff that was more than willing to help and give advice. Place was pretty clean overall and was a nice location. Simba is the bomb. I would definitely stay here again.

• 18th Jun 2015

Hi! Thanks for staying! Was nice to meet you and having as our guest;) We look forward to welcome you in the future! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

The hostel was clean and the bathrooms were really nice. They need to take one of the rooms and make it a hang out room for the guests. You are not allowed to eat in your room but then there is no hangout place. The lobby isn't the best because there's no music and the staff is ehh. So basically it's awkward to eat here. The location isn't in the center but I enjoyed getting to explore outside of the typical touristy places. Very cute and safe neighborhood and 5 min walk to tram!

The guy in front desk was not helpful or friendly at all. If you arrive early in the morning and you want to take a shower of leave your suitcase before check in (Before 1pm sharp) this is NOT a hostel to book. Plus the guy siting on the desk did not try at all to help. The answer was always No .. No .. No.. Very disappointed. He was very rude. How on earth a hostel does not allow storage suitcase?? or take a shower in the shared showers before check in?

Location is good, but the staff is very dishonest and unfriendly. I would only stay here if there are no other options.

• 13th Jun 2015

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying. However your comment is not fair. In case of a No Show you are charged according the T&C. This does not make us dishonest and unfriendly. We had an empty room, which was reserved for you. If you had checked in and paid, this would not happen. We are happy you liked our location. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

The room was lovely, with a decent window and overall very comfortable. Toilets were clean, but sadly towels and soap were not provided. Also one of the beds sunk in the middle, which was uncomfortable and also very small. Other than that it was a very comfortable stay and the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

The hostel is really close to the trams and the museums. Its in a really good neighbourhood. That one was one of the most worry free wifi i've had in the hostels so far. Also you can ask questions to the staff and they'll gladly help you.

• 2nd Jun 2015
  • All Male Group, 18-24

staffs are very helpful n friendly. Quite n peaceful .

Hi! Thanks for staying and review;) Kindest regards, Cosmos staff

My second stay there and I'll go back again.

Hi! Thanks for staying again with us;) Was nice to welcome you again! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

The place was best used for a night of sleep. The staff were nice. My only issue is I found dead bugs in my bed and couldn't sleep..

Hi! Thanks for staying:) We have not heard this while you stayed with us, but we could have easily changed your linen. Maybe with the open window nest to your bed and warm weather some harmless flies fell on your bed? Kind regards, Cosmos staff

There was no way to secure your belongings for free. In most hostels, you're offered a drawer/safe that locks so that your items don't get taken. Additionally, when I arrived my bed was definitely slept in--the hostel should have checked prior to my arrival whether my bed was clean.The bathrooms were pretty clean. The price seemed expensive for what we received--33 Euro per person per night. The beds were crammed together. The staff was friendly, however! Good if you only need a place to sleep.

One of the worst hostels I've ever stayed at. They crammed 4 bunk beds into a room made for two. They staff was very unfriendly. They had very little common areas to meet people. A very negative vibe here. They had very odd rules, one of them being that they are not responsible for big bites, which we got. Also they only take cash and charge you for everything. avoid if you plan on going out at night because they are not accommodating. I paid 100 dollars for one night, insane.

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying. We are sorry to hear you had a less pleasant experience than we expect from our guests. We will use your comment to improve our hostel. Prices during holidays and weekends are higher in Amsterdam. We had no reports of any bites? We e-mail you to see what really happenend. We hope you still enjoyed Amsterdam!

Money money money!! the room is absolutely small for 12 people, there is no kitchen, the lounge hall is one small space that is full of luggages in the morning so you cannot stay there, they ask 3 euro to keep your luggage, during the weekend the prices are up to 100€. so if you have no solution to stay in a place in your travel in Amsterdam book it, if not I suggest you to have a look around.

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying and comment. We always try to offer our beds at reasonable prices. However during holidays and weekends prices are higher than average. Also please keep in mind that we like our job but it is still a bussiness and asking a certain price for a bed or room is part of it. Please come again during low season, you will find our prices more than reasonable;) We hope you enjoyed Amsterdam!

Only one working washroom for one entire floor, no outlets close to each bed, only an 8 socket extension for the whole room to share of 8 people on a ground in a very insecure location for valuables. My bed still looked not 100% clean, I ended up leaving and going someplace else, it was such an unpleasant environment, and I did not feel secure at all.

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying and feedback. We appreciate that you took the time to write a review. We understand our hostel was not the place for you as you left after a few minutes. We will still use your comment to improve where possible! We hope you still enjoyed Amsterdam. Kind regards, Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam

Overall, the hostel worked out just fine. It was in a great location and the staff was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately, we booked right before Kings Day so it was incredibly expensive for just a dormitory. It wasn't worth it for the over 300 euro I paid for three nights BUT I would definitely consider staying here again for cheaper.

• 23rd Apr 2015

it was lovely stay and the staff was really cooperative.

• 19th Apr 2015
  • Pakistan

Hi! Cheers:) Kindest regards, Cosmos staff

We were in a six person mixed dorm and it felt like we were all on top off each other. The room we were in could comfortably fit one bunk bed. There were three. They made us check out at 10 am, which was fine, but then charged us to hold our bags and didn't hold bags after five. The location wasn't bad and the cat was cute. They sell food at that front desk which is nice but it's way overpriced. The staff was friendly enough and while my stay was fine I probably wouldn't go back.

Simple hostel but everything works fine. Security was decent and location was very good. Price was friendly.

Staff was very rude, not personable, and no smile at all. There was construction in progress and loose/dangerous material all over the stair landings. The bedroom was very small and dirty. The bathroom soap dispenser was completely empty. I am not one to complain or leave reviews ever, but this place was awful. We paid over 100 euro/night. I could have stayed in a way nicer hostel for three nights for that price. Not impressed.

• 8th Apr 2015

Dear Guest, Thank you for stay. We are sorry to hear you feel this way. Rooms are normal size for a twin room in a Amsterdam hostel. Prices are reasonable and please note you stayed during a holiday. Dispenser are being replaced for better ones. It is a pity you did not mention anything to us. But we will use your comment to improve! We hope you enoyed Amsterdam!