Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam Reviews

Frans van Mierisstraat 69 A, 1071 RL, Amsterdam, Netherlands

I came to use this hostel as a bed mostly, as I wanted to experience the city and not end up staying in my hostel all day. This was certainly not something to worry about at Cosmos. There was very little more than a bed. In terms of serving it's purpose as simply a place to stay, Cosmos delivered. It was located conveniently by the museum square and was priced very reasonably. It didn't, however, foster a community of travellers and had now frills for your personal comfort.

There is room for almost nothing. The bedrooms are full of beds, few space to walk. There is no kitchen, common place has tables and chairs but the space is very reduced and there is a cat which climbs to the tables to grab the food of the guest. The toilet was dirty. The place was not kind and the staff only sometimes friendly.

Dear guest, We made an exception because your are actually not allowed to stay with us (age limit). We explained this, because we are not suitable for older people. You clearly have not read any of our info or terms and conditions. Online we mention our cat, we never promise a kitchen. We walked with you to see the toilet, was nothing dirty. For the price you paid it is not reasonable to demand hotel service, while you choose to stay in a dorm with others. We will request removal of this review.

The people was nice and the location too. The hostel was dirty because the are fixing it, that is why you can see dirty floor. I just had a problem with the shower that I needed to take cold shower in December in Amsterdam. Otherwise, I complained and the receptionist fixed it and I took a warm shower in the next day.

Not good at all. The bedroom stinks, there are no services for the prices we pay. All the costs are way high (bike rental, locker and safe service) if you compare to other places. It seems they try to get richer in every way they can. The heating system doesn´t work properly and the wifi doesnt work in the bedroom.

Dear Thiago, Thank you for your stay! You choose the biggest and cheapest dorm. You stayed in the cheapest period and paid between 15-25 euro in the weekend. Please advise us what to do with smelly roommates? We wish this would make us rich;) but it is known that in this period, there is no profit. Bikes are from a company not our own and other guests find it cheap. Locker is Eur 1. We checked our heating, it is perfect. WIFI is available, but will be upgraded soon. Kind regards, Cosmos

This is not a social hostel at all. Did some traveling before I got to amsterdam and stayed in a few hostels where I made friends, the opposite of this experience. There is no lobby to comfortably sit in and use the internet to plan the next of your activities, and no way to meet new people in this hostel. They were also doing construction so everything smelled like dry wall and construction materials on top of the usual hostel stink..

• 18th Dec 2014

Dear Guest, Thank you for staying. We actually made an exception for you as we don't accept long term stay. You were allowed to stay for more than 5 nights. Also other guests are all friends that came together, than it can be hard sometimes to meet others. We hope you still enjoyed Amsterdam! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Only think it's missing a common room but apart from that it was a really good and easy stay!

• 15th Dec 2014

Amsterdam is nice and a beautifull city. Hostel is located in a nice area and walkable to hotspots. There is construction going on, but is not really bothering. Also very cheap!

• 14th Dec 2014

good and peaceful environment , friendly people and the most important thing, really near the the city center. I definitely enjoyed my stay in cosmos hostel.

• 13th Dec 2014
  • Morocco

Wasn't the most comfortable hostel I've ever stayed in. It was cheap so I couldn't complain too much but don't expect any extras. Room was cramped as I was in a 12 person. A 10 or 8 would've been perfect but the decided to fit 12. Staff was not very friendly. Wifi did not work the 2nd half of the time and no one bothered to fix it. And I guess this goes for most hostels in Amsterdam but they were so strict on the checkout time despite them not being a very busy place!

It is the weirdest hostel i have stayed in.Cannot say that the staff is unfriendly,but they have been very strange.All hostel have some kind of creepy atmosphere around.Maybe the price and location seems good,but wouldnt really reccomend this hostel.

Excellent place. Newly refurbed rooms, friendly staff, in a top location. I live in Amsterdam (I had a couple of days without a house), I know a good hostel from a bad one and it's all good stuff here. They've put a lot of work into doing the place up recently too. I don't usually do Hostelworld reviews but the bad reviews this place has received here have really annoyed me.

The place did not have much space to hang out and the room for 4 people was very small for me lioke a big guy it was reather inconvinient. I understand that you use the space in the very economcl way but a biger social room would help a lot to enjoy staying....

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Czech Republic

The staff is good, as well as the room. However, the wifi of the 3rd floor is broken. The staff told me that he'd relaunch it but it seems doesn't work. Moreover, I don't really appreciate the charge of 2 Euros per luggage while they were stored just in the common area.

Wasn't great at all, didn't end up even sleeping here. So many rules, can't do this can't do that, got €45 taken out of my account twice, then told I have to pay the full price in cash when I arrived as well, wasn't impressed. Had a friend come so I could check on my stuff and asked if he could sit in the common room in the reception while I checked my things and he had to stand outside of the building because he wasn't in the hostel, what is that ? Chill out doods.

Hotel COSMOS is cheap, the staff is very friendly and helping, it's quite central, the corridor painted in vivid blue and vivid pink are more colorful than most streets of Amsterdam so considering the value for money, I don't mind paying 3 E for luggage storage. It's only fair. Besides Samba had a nap on my lap. Uh...Samba is a cat.

The staff at cosmos is fantastic. So welcoming and so very kind.

• 28th Oct 2014

The Cosmos Hostel is very good if you are a group of friends just looking for somewhere to sleep. It's not far from the center (20min walking). I advice you to take a private room in order to have your own bathroom ; you have also to know that the rooms are quite small. Otherwise, it's not the hostel of the year but for the price it is good enough !

This is hands down the worst hostel, I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in quite a few. Upon arrival, we checked in very late at night after a long day. There were several mice crawling on my bed and when I addressed the issue, they did absolutely nothing to fix the problem and it only got worse. It was impossible to sleep at this hostel. Unorganized, lazy and terrible staff.

Dear guest, We have already responded to your friend, who wrote a similiar review. We have done our best to help during your stay. You even confirmed this during your stay. So we find it a shame, you now react this way. But it is okay;) We enjoyed having you and friends as our guests. We still hope you enjoyed Amsterdam! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Stayed in a room and couldn't sleep due to the mice in the room. Wasn't offered a refund or anything. The location was okay and there was one helpful staff member, but overall this hostel is not worth a stay. I wouldn't stay there again if it was free. Nobody seemed to be concerned that the guests were dealing with mice.

• 24th Oct 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your stay. We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We take these things very serious and have directly checked the room and did not found the mouse. We have made an appointment with a company that deals with these problems. But you have checked out before this. We thought we helped out by given you another room. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Great place to stay for people wanting to just get up an explore the city. It's very basic but if you only want a place to rest your head at night it's ideal.

• 24th Oct 2014