Hostel Cosmos Amsterdam Reviews

Frans van Mierisstraat 69 A, 1071 RL, Amsterdam, Netherlands

Excellent place. Newly refurbed rooms, friendly staff, in a top location. I live in Amsterdam (I had a couple of days without a house), I know a good hostel from a bad one and it's all good stuff here. They've put a lot of work into doing the place up recently too. I don't usually do Hostelworld reviews but the bad reviews this place has received here have really annoyed me.

• 8th Dec 2014
  • Northern Ireland

The place did not have much space to hang out and the room for 4 people was very small for me lioke a big guy it was reather inconvinient. I understand that you use the space in the very economcl way but a biger social room would help a lot to enjoy staying....

• 14th Nov 2014
  • Czech Republic

The staff is good, as well as the room. However, the wifi of the 3rd floor is broken. The staff told me that he'd relaunch it but it seems doesn't work. Moreover, I don't really appreciate the charge of 2 Euros per luggage while they were stored just in the common area.

Wasn't great at all, didn't end up even sleeping here. So many rules, can't do this can't do that, got €45 taken out of my account twice, then told I have to pay the full price in cash when I arrived as well, wasn't impressed. Had a friend come so I could check on my stuff and asked if he could sit in the common room in the reception while I checked my things and he had to stand outside of the building because he wasn't in the hostel, what is that ? Chill out doods.

Hotel COSMOS is cheap, the staff is very friendly and helping, it's quite central, the corridor painted in vivid blue and vivid pink are more colorful than most streets of Amsterdam so considering the value for money, I don't mind paying 3 E for luggage storage. It's only fair. Besides Samba had a nap on my lap. Uh...Samba is a cat.

The staff at cosmos is fantastic. So welcoming and so very kind.

• 28th Oct 2014

The Cosmos Hostel is very good if you are a group of friends just looking for somewhere to sleep. It's not far from the center (20min walking). I advice you to take a private room in order to have your own bathroom ; you have also to know that the rooms are quite small. Otherwise, it's not the hostel of the year but for the price it is good enough !

This is hands down the worst hostel, I have ever stayed in, and I have stayed in quite a few. Upon arrival, we checked in very late at night after a long day. There were several mice crawling on my bed and when I addressed the issue, they did absolutely nothing to fix the problem and it only got worse. It was impossible to sleep at this hostel. Unorganized, lazy and terrible staff.

Dear guest, We have already responded to your friend, who wrote a similiar review. We have done our best to help during your stay. You even confirmed this during your stay. So we find it a shame, you now react this way. But it is okay;) We enjoyed having you and friends as our guests. We still hope you enjoyed Amsterdam! Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Stayed in a room and couldn't sleep due to the mice in the room. Wasn't offered a refund or anything. The location was okay and there was one helpful staff member, but overall this hostel is not worth a stay. I wouldn't stay there again if it was free. Nobody seemed to be concerned that the guests were dealing with mice.

• 24th Oct 2014

Dear guest, Thank you for your stay. We are sorry to hear you had a bad experience. We take these things very serious and have directly checked the room and did not found the mouse. We have made an appointment with a company that deals with these problems. But you have checked out before this. We thought we helped out by given you another room. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Great place to stay for people wanting to just get up an explore the city. It's very basic but if you only want a place to rest your head at night it's ideal.

• 24th Oct 2014

the guy who checked us in on Friday night was very sweet, patient, and helpful :)

• 24th Oct 2014

Hi! Thanks for staying and kind words;) We also enjoyed having you as our guests:) Kindest regards, Cosmos staff

I was only there for a short stay, so I didn't get the full experience. But a great location and 24 hour staff which was useful.

• 23rd Oct 2014

Got some great advice of what to see in the city!! Loved the food tips! Simba rules. Bathrooms are few and small but hey, I never had to wait longer than 5 minutes to use one.

• 23rd Oct 2014

Hi! Thanks for the stay and comment! Most of our room have their own shower and toilet:) So as you said, usually it is no problem using the shared ones. Kind regards, Cosmos staff+Simba

The staff is rude. One day the internet wasn't working and when I try to talk to the guy that was on the recepion he told me "this is not about my business, I just follow what my boss tell" The day before he told to a brazilian girl "Your friends can't wait you on the reception, this is not a lounge". On the internet and on the hostel is "drug and drink allowed" but on hostel there is one advise that they will check you out in case of drink or smoke. WTF?

• 21st Oct 2014

The staff was very friendly and helpful when arrived late night around 12:30am. However, the room was way to small for 10 people, extremely hot and stuffy and we were unable to open the windows far enough. One bathroom per floor, and only a very small hang out space near the front desk. There's a cat there who is very cute but beware of allergies!

Stayed at Cosmos with my brother and had a great time. Arrived on a different day, but the staff helped us out with everything. Small area to sit near reception, but kinda cozy too, with fearless SIMBA.......hahaha. They just got some new linen while we were there, so that was nice and a bit lucky.

Not enought space in the rooms and mattresses are encased in plastic so they can't breathe. Lazy staff, tha reception and lobby is closed sometimes till 8am, even you can't use it during the day someday.

Simba is great and really adds character to the place. Save and cheap place with lockers and camera.

Staff was extremely helpful, rooms were clean (despite a mouse sighting!), and the bathrooms were great.

Hi , Thanks for staying! One of the guests left the doors open from the terrace and food in the room. That is why we advise guests to not eat in the dorms. Kind regards, Cosmos staff

Loveddddd Simba! cute little hostel and suprisingly clean. Save place and had some good sleep. Good linen provided

• 6th Oct 2014