Hostel Era Reviews

San Mateo 2, Madrid, Spain

The location is very good to go out in bars in the north of Madrid, the ambiance is not very friendly, quiet, the staff staying on facebook doesn't help. I didn't enjoyed much as I like to meet a lot of people, but it's still ok.

Pretty descent for the money but I've stayed in nicer places for the same price range. Bathrooms leave a lot to be desired and the rooms are very noisy.

This was a good hostel in a great location. The staff were always very helpful and polite and the common area was clean and big enough for everyone. Though the showers were not very good - bad water presssure & never any hot water even if you do shower between the recommended time. The hostel can be pretty noisy esp. because the floor constantly squeaks and the thin walls. However, security in the hostel is good, the beds are fine, and the kitchen is good for saving money.

The only 2 issues I disliked were the showers (no water pressure and hard to get hot water) and the parquet (was too old and made a lot of noise at night, even if you tried to walk slow). The rest of the things were good. One thing I would appreciate is to have the bed already made and not having to make it when you arrive.

The staff was nice but not overly friendly, they kept to themselves for most part. Overall the hostel was average. Provided all the basic necessities and nothing more. Anything extra was an extra cost. But excellent location and prefect if you're not spending much time there

Was all great, especially the breakfast. Madrid is noisy, so no complaints there. Staff consist of different people..some are more outgoing, some just do their job. Overall I would recommend this hostel!

• 28th Apr 2015
  • Austria

Bicycles not welcome ! We booked 3 days and showed up at 22:00 from the airport. The guy told us 'you can't bring bikes'. Nothing was written and after traveling 4 years by bicycle, this is the first hostel who refused our bicycles. Even tiny ones always found a place to put them.

For the price is excellent! :D

Hostel Era is in a fantastic location - we easily walked to every spot we wanted to visit in Madrid during our 4 night stay. Unfortunately this served as a double-edged sword - because of the central location, there was plenty of street noise at night.

• 21st Apr 2015

Lockers are provided, however the other guests always keep hte door to the dorm unlocked. Very noisy from outside as well as from inside, despite tome from 23:00 to 7:00 is considered "quiet hours". Not a place to have your sleep, but seems a good place for those who like to chat all night through. Generally not very clean, but it's common when so many backpackers stay. Staff is very friendly, nice and helpful. Only lacks knowledge of english. Breakfast is slightly more then toast and butter.

It does what it needs to do. It's in a nice area very close to the Metro, it has lockers etc. The breakfast is a bit hit and miss, but it's free, the kitchen only has a microwave but there are places to eat close by and supermarkets. Supposedly there's quiet time after midnight, but I'm not so sure about that, it's not party time at any time, no alcohol allowed inside anyway, the atmosphere is more people looking for a plug so they can be on the internet.

Lockers are too small to put bags into, staff are nice, did have to hunt out more info at other places to see what was on in Madrid, due them only wanting to sell tourist bus passes. No oven or stove to cook on just a microwave.

Rooms were smelly and humid. Ventilation was not working.

It's a good hostel in the city but in my room i don't have Wi-Fi.

• 22nd Mar 2015

I liked the hostel well enough, but I did not like two things about it. One, the water that came out of the bathroom sinks only had one temperature: freezing cold. It hurt to wash my face, that's how cold it was. Two, there was a dim light over the door in the dorm room that stayed on all night. I get that it's probably there in case of an emergency, but I was in the top bunk right next to the door, and even the little amount of light that it gave off was enough to make it hard to fall asleep.

The kitchen lacked an oven, and it was quite cold in all areas but overall it was a good stay.

I would recommend this hostel to my friends.

Location is perfect, Bf is fine but that's it. After check out i had to leave the hostel or pay extra. Also extra paying for luggage storage. Tv is running all day, no music no daylight anywhere. Cleaning staff enter room at 9am, impossible sleeping longer. Atmosphere is not existing. Lockers to small to put your bag in it(somebody stoled money from my bag, but thats not hostels fault). All in all, can't recommend this at all!

It was a great location, staff was friendly and helpful, and the place is really cool and comfortable.

Nothing to complain