Hostel GaiaPorto Reviews

Rua Cândido dos Reis nº 374-376, Porto, Portugal

Hostel Gaia Porto is a truly welcoming place. The rooms are impeccably clean and tastefully decorated, we had a balcony with a view on the city, and above the hostel there is a series of rooftop gardens which must be a great hangout place in the summer (we were there a little early). Joao and his family were incredibly nice and helpful, and the area around the hostel has the best views on Porto at night! We very much wished we could stay longer, and would definitely recommend the place!

Wonderful hostel! It's more like a home! The atmosphere and Marta & João (staff) are amazing!! I had a great stay. Nothing to complain about. :) You have so much for so little money!

We loved this hostel, it felt like a home away from home. Great breakfast in the morning with fresh cake, bread, ham, cheese, spreads etc, really delicious! The rooms are spotless and the hostel was so welcoming and provided great trips on where to go/see/eat/drink etc in the area. Will definitely be back!

I would definitely go back to Porto and to this hostel one day! This is the best place I have stayed for vacation, and where I got the most value for the money. The staff is like a family from the first day, and it makes the atmosphere impeccable. A great hostel in a great city.

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Norway

I stayed here for 3 nights and couldn't be happier about my choice. The owner and his wife (and dad) make you feel at home the second you arrive. Nice clean rooms and bath rooms, lovely decorated house and common rooms and 3 different terraces that give you an amazing view over porto. The breakfast is lovely and you sit together around a big table and easily get to know the other travellers. You get a lot of helpful information on what to do and where to go for a good meal. I recommend it.

We are two German guys who travelled through Portugal for one week and stayed at the Gaia Hostel for 2 days. It was a very warm and relaxed atmosphere with a host who is doing everything that his guests will feel good. As a local he knows a lot about the Porto region and is able to give you good recommendations about activities in the city. The hostel itself is a beautful and well designed location. Breakfast is awesome! We definetely will go there again if some day in Porto!

• 12th Apr 2015

Simply the best place to stay at Porto!

GaiaPorto is a fantastic hostel that is more like a guest house than a hostel, easily the cleanest and most elegantly decorated hostel I've ever stayed in. João and his wife and father were very nice and João is very passionate about the city and was happy to give some recommendations. The hostel is only 5 min walk from the riviera or about 10-15 min walk to the center of Porto. It was also good to just stay at the hostel for a drink in the garden terrace at sunset. Thanks João and family.

This was a really great experience. The (private ensuite) room was to immaculate cleanliness standards and supremely comfortable. The only recommendation I would offer would be to have fresher breakfast options - more fruit, perhaps yogurt. This is in comparison to previous experience with English accommodation who offer breakfast - they seem to offer quite a bit more. However, for the cost, this experience was excellent.

• 27th Mar 2015

Thanks Sarah for your review and your recomendations. About the breakfast, what we offer as a beakfast is a Portuguese typical breakfast, we will never try to do what other countries do, its not in our culture. We offer: Home made cake;Home made marmelade, tomate jam, chocolate cream, coffe, milk, 3 diferente kind of bread; Orange juice, black tea, 2 types of cereals, and the fruit of the season, and at the moment we have a lot of apples because we produce apples in the Douro Valley! Thanks.

So I and my girlfrend spent 3 days in this hostel and it was amazing. the staff was really friendly helping us to find the best way to visit the city. The Atmosphere is fantastic they do make you feel like home with the amazing breakfast and the rest of the place. João is the man who takes care of the hostel and he is awesome man. When we were there he ans his wike cooked a portuguese dinner for all the guest and it was really cool because all the guest could meet each other and talk all night.

I really like this hostel. The host is very nice, he provided me a lot of suggestions about the tour in Porto, which saved me a lot of trouble. The view in the hostel is nice and it is convenient to walk around. The room is quiet, clear and the bed is really comfortable, though a home stay hostel, I can see that the owner really puts his heart to provide a nice stay for the guest. It is a part of my nice Porto experience, I will go back to stay if one day I go to Porto again.

Greetings from France! Mateusz

• 17th Feb 2015
  • Poland

Staying at Gaia Porto Hostel was the best decision we made on our trip. The hosts were very warm and had a wealth of information on activities. The location was easy to find and close to the city, the room was of hotel grade and had access to terraces with amazing views of Porto and clean bathroom facilities. The daily breakfast had a wide range of choices and was delicious and the hostel has connections to some free activities. All in all the best hostel we have ever experienced.

• 6th Feb 2015

After having stayed at a ton of hostels, I have to say that this one is way on top. Amazing staff, so helpful and so nice and interesting to chat with. The hostel is perfectly cleaned and greatly decorated, with the most amazing double bed room I've ever found at a hostel, by far! It is located about 4 minutes from the Metro and the river, giving the best views you can have from Porto, while being just 2 stops far from the city center. The breakfast is also generous. Seriously recommended!

Joao and all of the staff were amazing. I would venture to say that this is the best hostel in the world. When I am back in Portugal again I will stay with them again.

• 7th Jan 2015

I stayed 3 nights at Gaia Hostel and had a pleasant time there. Juam and his wife Maria are super friendly and care about everything that you need. When you stay there, ask Juam for food places, cause he's an expert of the best and cheapest food in Porto! Thank you and all the best for the little Gustavo!

It is a quite (silent) and clean hostel where the staff is very helpfull.

This perfect hostel is run by a couple (Joao and Marta) and they really make you feel to stay in your own home. Located n the old city in Villa Nova de Gaia (opposite site of the River as Porto) and is perfectly located for a scenic view on Porto. Walking to the city center of Porto takes 10-15min. If you like family type hostels with nice dinners and chats, then this is the perfect place for you.

This hostel was not only one of the most comfortable ones we've been in, but was definitely the one where we had the best time. João and Marta are such amazing people and they make you feel as if you were staying at a friends' home. I recommend this hostel 100%, and I also suggest that you have dinner at the hostel at least 1 time during your stay. The meal was the best meal we ate in Portugal (typical, homemade and delicious), and the atmosphere was amazing, we spent the whole evening laughing!

An unique hostel!! The best one ever to me and my husband. We had such wonderful moments with Marta and João that we couldn't describe with simple words here...so come to the hostel and see by yourself!! For sure you will find a cozy place, amazing food, loads to chat and discover about this special city, Porto!! The 6 bed room is perfect and every detail makes you fell home and happy to be there! Strongly recommend!! Thanks for everything Marta and João...hope to see yous soon!!