Hostel GaiaPorto Reviews

Rua Cândido dos Reis nº 374-376, Porto, Portugal

If I were to run a hostel I would do it exactly like this hostel. It's decor is lovely, it's clean, welcoming, provides a great free breakfast and the staff are so friendly and helpful. I would definitely stay here again.

Best hostel on the entire planet. João was honestly the best host imaginable. He constantly went out of his way to make our stay better including making dinner on our first night there because we asked. Not only that, he and his wife make the best food ever(wine included with meals), if you stay you have to try it! He was not only a great host but also a blast to hang out with. We were worried about the location (across the river) but it was perfect.

My partner and I spent a week at Gaia Porto Hostel and had an excellent time. Joao, Marta and family were excellent hosts. The accommodation is extremely well run, clean and comfortable and has a great location. From pick up to drop off at the airport we were treated with the upmost warmth and friendliness. We look forward to our next visit!

Best hostel I've stayed in. Great location, just a few minutes walk to the river front. Fantastic, friendly and helpful staff. Best value for money ever, thanks again guys you were great !

• 13th Jun 2015

Best hostel I have ever stayed in. The staff was amazing. Terrific breakfast. Very knowledgeable of the city. Great place to stay. 5/5 stars

Absolutely AMAZING hostel. The hostel was super clean, safe, but most importantly, Joao and his wife Marta made my mum and I feel like family from the moment we walked in the door. I have stayed at quite a few hostels, and have also worked at a hostel, and this is one of the best I've seen. The hostel is very small, mellow, and friendly, with beautiful garden, in an area of town with tons of local charm - quick walk to the city centre/metro. Thank you Joao and Marta for a truly memorable stay.

We had a very nice stay there, we think it's the best hostel we have been so far!! The owner is really helpful, breakfast is great! We can highly recommend this hostel.

Jao and his Father are wonderful!! great relaxing hostel with lots of cool spots to see not too far away

Very clean and comfortable room! The owner is nice and helpful too.

• 13th May 2015
  • Hong Kong

Hostel GaiaPorto was a pleasant surprise. Joao was super helpful and friendly from the very beginning with directions and recommendations. In terms of facilities and cleanliness, it's got be be one of the best that I've stayed in.Everything looks fairly new and in very good taste. Location was very convenient and safe, a few minutes walk away to the docks of Gaia and Luiz I bridge, wine cellars, excellent restaurants and cable car. Beware, it is NOT a party hostel where guests socialize.

One of my favorite hostels I have stayed at! Joao was very prompt with his responses, very helpful when we needed info about transportation, and had great suggestions about the city. Very cute hostel. Clean and decorated well. Great breakfast in the morning. I highly recommend this Hostel!

Hostel Gaia Porto is a truly welcoming place. The rooms are impeccably clean and tastefully decorated, we had a balcony with a view on the city, and above the hostel there is a series of rooftop gardens which must be a great hangout place in the summer (we were there a little early). Joao and his family were incredibly nice and helpful, and the area around the hostel has the best views on Porto at night! We very much wished we could stay longer, and would definitely recommend the place!

Wonderful hostel! It's more like a home! The atmosphere and Marta & João (staff) are amazing!! I had a great stay. Nothing to complain about. :) You have so much for so little money!

We loved this hostel, it felt like a home away from home. Great breakfast in the morning with fresh cake, bread, ham, cheese, spreads etc, really delicious! The rooms are spotless and the hostel was so welcoming and provided great trips on where to go/see/eat/drink etc in the area. Will definitely be back!

I would definitely go back to Porto and to this hostel one day! This is the best place I have stayed for vacation, and where I got the most value for the money. The staff is like a family from the first day, and it makes the atmosphere impeccable. A great hostel in a great city.

• 16th Apr 2015
  • Norway

I stayed here for 3 nights and couldn't be happier about my choice. The owner and his wife (and dad) make you feel at home the second you arrive. Nice clean rooms and bath rooms, lovely decorated house and common rooms and 3 different terraces that give you an amazing view over porto. The breakfast is lovely and you sit together around a big table and easily get to know the other travellers. You get a lot of helpful information on what to do and where to go for a good meal. I recommend it.

We are two German guys who travelled through Portugal for one week and stayed at the Gaia Hostel for 2 days. It was a very warm and relaxed atmosphere with a host who is doing everything that his guests will feel good. As a local he knows a lot about the Porto region and is able to give you good recommendations about activities in the city. The hostel itself is a beautful and well designed location. Breakfast is awesome! We definetely will go there again if some day in Porto!

• 12th Apr 2015

Simply the best place to stay at Porto!

GaiaPorto is a fantastic hostel that is more like a guest house than a hostel, easily the cleanest and most elegantly decorated hostel I've ever stayed in. João and his wife and father were very nice and João is very passionate about the city and was happy to give some recommendations. The hostel is only 5 min walk from the riviera or about 10-15 min walk to the center of Porto. It was also good to just stay at the hostel for a drink in the garden terrace at sunset. Thanks João and family.

This was a really great experience. The (private ensuite) room was to immaculate cleanliness standards and supremely comfortable. The only recommendation I would offer would be to have fresher breakfast options - more fruit, perhaps yogurt. This is in comparison to previous experience with English accommodation who offer breakfast - they seem to offer quite a bit more. However, for the cost, this experience was excellent.

• 27th Mar 2015

Thanks Sarah for your review and your recomendations. About the breakfast, what we offer as a beakfast is a Portuguese typical breakfast, we will never try to do what other countries do, its not in our culture. We offer: Home made cake;Home made marmelade, tomate jam, chocolate cream, coffe, milk, 3 diferente kind of bread; Orange juice, black tea, 2 types of cereals, and the fruit of the season, and at the moment we have a lot of apples because we produce apples in the Douro Valley! Thanks.