Superb 326 Total Reviews
Superb 326 Total Reviews
Hostel GaiaPorto Located at Rua Cândido dos Reis nº 374-376, , Porto.
Portugal
Porto Vila Nova de Gaia 4400 - 070 VNG Rua Cândido dos Reis nº 374-376
97% 326
41.1341285 -8.6117362
    Rooms available

13th Jul 2016

It's a super cute small hostel with a great atmosphere. The owners are really friendly and it's super clean. It's not so close to the city center but it is close to a metro station and a market. I would definitely recommend for everyone.

• USA, All Female Group, 18-24
11th Jul 2016

This hostel is perfect if you're looking for a cozy and peaceful stay. It was very comfortable and in close proximity to the wine cellars. We enjoyed the welcome wine and cake!

6th Jul 2016

Small, family run, incredibly professional. By far the best hostel I have ever stayed at. John made it a point to ensure that all needs were met, and that everyone was satisfied with their stay.

• kittyhemingway
  • USA, Female, 25-30
2nd Jul 2016

The owner is so friendly and helpful. You can tell he loves this city. His father also helped me one evening pick a restaurant and even though there was a slight language barrier was so willing to help me and my friends. Bathrooms with immaculately clean... Three level terrace with amazing views. It's not the city center but it's actually the better side of the river in my opinion. Porto is a great city and this is a great hostel. I would definitely come back. Thanks!!!

• France, All Female Group, 18-24
22nd Jun 2016

A great place to stay. The owner and his family are really welcoming and helpful people. It is not in the centre so you have to walk and take the metro but you can appreciate being a bit far from the centre, near the river and with a great view. It is very clean and calm, the breakfast is really good, we really feel at home! We'll keep a good memory of Porto thanks to this hostel!

21st Jun 2016

This hostel is great, the staff was wonderful, friendly and helpful. Welcome drink was a nice touch. The only reasons I had to mark it down was because of the showers, they are made like the sinks that turn off after 30 seconds. Also, the hostel is across the bridge from Porto center, so it's about 20 minutes or more walking. BE AWARE; lots of hills, if you are going to Gaia train station take a cab for less than €5, it's difficult to drag your luggage there!

• Scotland, Male, 18-24
7th Jun 2016

Really clean and quiet. The owner of the hostel is pretty much the only employee and he makes you feel most welcome, nothing is too much to ask and he makes sure you have all the information you need in order to enjoy Porto. The free port tour included is a nice bonus. He did a traditional dinner on one night which was great. The roof top terraces were great as well. My only complaint would be that there was only 1 dorm i think and 3 privates meaning it was too small to meet lots of people.

Thanks for you review Jack. I was realy surprise about your complaint of us being a small Hostel, because yu said you book the hostels reading the reviews and in all the reviews people said that is a small family hostel and you still book with us. But in September we will increase for the double, but we still be a family Hostel, jot a party Hostel. Its our option. So probably we will continuing not being the best option for you. About me, João, being the only employee, you are pretty wrong. What about my lovely wife that cooked the best meal that you probably had in your trip(home made, just 12,50€ al included, starter, main course, dessert and all the wine you could drink - our production). And all the different cakes you had at breakfast, was Marta, the other employee that we have. Ah, we also have students from turism working with us, but you probably didnt saw them. WE are small for option, we know everyone, we know their names, where they come from, what they do. This is like Home!! Kind Regards, João Saavedra CEO

6th Jun 2016

Having stayed in hostels across South America, SE Asia, Europe and North Africa, I can say GaiaPorto is one of the best hostels that I've ever stayed at. We were warmly welcomed by João with complimentary port wine and delicious Portuguese cake upon arrival. We stayed in a beautiful and clean private double with a shared balcony. The rooms and bathrooms are clean, well designed and look like they were recently remodeled. We also loved their rooftop terrace, which gave a beautiful view of Porto!

• England, Male, 41+
26th May 2016

Stayed here for 5 nights in May 2016 with partner in a double room. Lovely place to stay and a great base from which to explore Porto. The Hostel is either 5 mins walk uphill from the south side of the river or 5 mins walk downhill from a tube station. Loved being on the South side of the river as the North side is where most hotels/hostels are located and it was good to be away from the crowds. Hostel clean, safe welcoming and everything you would want from a Hostel/base. Would recommend!

• Claudiam7
  • Australia, Female, 18-24
19th May 2016

I had a wonderful stay in Gaia hostel. It was extemely clean and tidy at all times when I was there and the showers were incredible! The staff were amazing and extremely helpful, what ever you need just ask :). I would recommend this hostel if you'd like a quiet and relaxing stay in Porto.