Hostel GaiaPorto Reviews

Rua Cândido dos Reis nº 374-376, Porto, Portugal

I stayed here for 3 nights and couldn't be happier about my choice. The owner and his wife (and dad) make you feel at home the second you arrive. Nice clean rooms and bath rooms, lovely decorated house and common rooms and 3 different terraces that give you an amazing view over porto. The breakfast is lovely and you sit together around a big table and easily get to know the other travellers. You get a lot of helpful information on what to do and where to go for a good meal. I recommend it.

GaiaPorto is a fantastic hostel that is more like a guest house than a hostel, easily the cleanest and most elegantly decorated hostel I've ever stayed in. João and his wife and father were very nice and João is very passionate about the city and was happy to give some recommendations. The hostel is only 5 min walk from the riviera or about 10-15 min walk to the center of Porto. It was also good to just stay at the hostel for a drink in the garden terrace at sunset. Thanks João and family.

This was a really great experience. The (private ensuite) room was to immaculate cleanliness standards and supremely comfortable. The only recommendation I would offer would be to have fresher breakfast options - more fruit, perhaps yogurt. This is in comparison to previous experience with English accommodation who offer breakfast - they seem to offer quite a bit more. However, for the cost, this experience was excellent.

• 27th Mar 2015

Thanks Sarah for your review and your recomendations. About the breakfast, what we offer as a beakfast is a Portuguese typical breakfast, we will never try to do what other countries do, its not in our culture. We offer: Home made cake;Home made marmelade, tomate jam, chocolate cream, coffe, milk, 3 diferente kind of bread; Orange juice, black tea, 2 types of cereals, and the fruit of the season, and at the moment we have a lot of apples because we produce apples in the Douro Valley! Thanks.

So I and my girlfrend spent 3 days in this hostel and it was amazing. the staff was really friendly helping us to find the best way to visit the city. The Atmosphere is fantastic they do make you feel like home with the amazing breakfast and the rest of the place. João is the man who takes care of the hostel and he is awesome man. When we were there he ans his wike cooked a portuguese dinner for all the guest and it was really cool because all the guest could meet each other and talk all night.

I really like this hostel. The host is very nice, he provided me a lot of suggestions about the tour in Porto, which saved me a lot of trouble. The view in the hostel is nice and it is convenient to walk around. The room is quiet, clear and the bed is really comfortable, though a home stay hostel, I can see that the owner really puts his heart to provide a nice stay for the guest. It is a part of my nice Porto experience, I will go back to stay if one day I go to Porto again.

Greetings from France! Mateusz

• 17th Feb 2015
  • Poland

Staying at Gaia Porto Hostel was the best decision we made on our trip. The hosts were very warm and had a wealth of information on activities. The location was easy to find and close to the city, the room was of hotel grade and had access to terraces with amazing views of Porto and clean bathroom facilities. The daily breakfast had a wide range of choices and was delicious and the hostel has connections to some free activities. All in all the best hostel we have ever experienced.

• 6th Feb 2015

After having stayed at a ton of hostels, I have to say that this one is way on top. Amazing staff, so helpful and so nice and interesting to chat with. The hostel is perfectly cleaned and greatly decorated, with the most amazing double bed room I've ever found at a hostel, by far! It is located about 4 minutes from the Metro and the river, giving the best views you can have from Porto, while being just 2 stops far from the city center. The breakfast is also generous. Seriously recommended!

Joao and all of the staff were amazing. I would venture to say that this is the best hostel in the world. When I am back in Portugal again I will stay with them again.

• 7th Jan 2015

I stayed 3 nights at Gaia Hostel and had a pleasant time there. Juam and his wife Maria are super friendly and care about everything that you need. When you stay there, ask Juam for food places, cause he's an expert of the best and cheapest food in Porto! Thank you and all the best for the little Gustavo!

It is a quite (silent) and clean hostel where the staff is very helpfull.

This perfect hostel is run by a couple (Joao and Marta) and they really make you feel to stay in your own home. Located n the old city in Villa Nova de Gaia (opposite site of the River as Porto) and is perfectly located for a scenic view on Porto. Walking to the city center of Porto takes 10-15min. If you like family type hostels with nice dinners and chats, then this is the perfect place for you.

This hostel was not only one of the most comfortable ones we've been in, but was definitely the one where we had the best time. João and Marta are such amazing people and they make you feel as if you were staying at a friends' home. I recommend this hostel 100%, and I also suggest that you have dinner at the hostel at least 1 time during your stay. The meal was the best meal we ate in Portugal (typical, homemade and delicious), and the atmosphere was amazing, we spent the whole evening laughing!

An unique hostel!! The best one ever to me and my husband. We had such wonderful moments with Marta and João that we couldn't describe with simple words here...so come to the hostel and see by yourself!! For sure you will find a cozy place, amazing food, loads to chat and discover about this special city, Porto!! The 6 bed room is perfect and every detail makes you fell home and happy to be there! Strongly recommend!! Thanks for everything Marta and João...hope to see yous soon!!

If not the best, than it is definitely up there. AMAZING!!! Staff was very nice and helpful. Location was beautiful. Rooms and facilities were sooo nice and clean. I will be returning and staying there again without question.

This hostel is truly a special place. If we hadn't stayed here, our entire experience in Porto would have been different. The owners of the hostel care deeply about the property and want their guests to have a home away from home. So much so that they made us a Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving while we were there. They were wonderful hosts -- who were always present, but never overbearing. It felt more like a bed and breakfast, than a hostel. Must stay here. A+

• 25th Nov 2014

One of the most friendly accommodations, we have ever been! The owners of the hostel are helpful and generous. They gave us really good recommendations, how to spend our holiday in Porto (restaurants, wine tasting, sightseeing etc.). The place had a romantic view of the downtown. Our room was nice, comfortable and clean. We loved it.

Awesome hostel, much care taken to make you feel welcome and help you make the most of this fascinating region. Facilities are perfect. Highly recommended.

Nice and charming place. The hosts are kind and they make you feel at home. The rooms are very clean with nice beds and shower. Our room had an incredible sight. Breakfast is very good. But if you want to know portuguese food and culture you should boom the dinner which is home made and delicious. In brief is the best hostel I had ever been even better than many hotels.

Thanks João and Marta for being great hosts, I loved the homely atmosphere of the hostel and the dinner on Friday was a real highlight, it was so great to try real homemade Portuguese food in a family atmosphere and meet some young Brazilian and Mexican people. It's a great environment you've created, keep it up.