Hostel Gallo d'Oro Reviews

Via Cavour 104, Florence, Italy

The hostel is really nice. The breakfast is one of the best I've ever had. However, the mattress is not so comfortable.

Was pretty disappointed that there was no fridge or other adequate kitchen facilities, meaning I needed to purchase a nights dinner each day if I wanted something fresh and basic to make. The free breakfast was very good and the leftovers and free coffee was a nice touch. Not the most ideal location to the old city. Pillows were absolutely terrible and there were only 2 points of wall sockets in our 6-bed dorm. For the money I paid and comparatively speaking, I expected a bit more.

We felt as though it wasn't a place where people spent time meeting others. We stayed at other hostels that just had a different feel. The shower had mold which took away from feeling as though it was clean.

Hostel Gallo d'Oro was an enjoyable stay. The 3 bed room I stayed in was spacious and the free breakfast was pretty amazing.

I loved this Hostel. The only thing that bugged me, was one of the employees working in the kitchen was rather rude to us because we happened to be grabbing some food and didn't get out of her way pronto.

Location may be slightly out of the way, but the walk is no trouble at all. This place couldn't be nicer and is a haven for the weekend traveler. Staff is really nice as well. Highly recommend!!!

Breakfast was great, most of the staff was helpfull and friendly. Room was near a busy street so very noisy. Also the first night people were yelling in the hallway at 1 am and nobody did anything about it. Also the room ittself seemed to be very loud because every sound resonated with the room being so empty and big. Earplugs recommend. Overall a good hostel though.

The hostel is about 20 minutes from the main centre/ Uffizi Gallery and about 10 mins Accademia Gallery. Being a little detached it's in a quiet area which is great for getting sleep at night ;) the facilities are clean and rooms are spacious. Food was great - good breakfast spread and there was also food out all day which was a great surprise. If you're looking for a busy hostel to meet lots and lots of people, you may be better off elsewhere as this isn't a huge hostel. Love my stay here!

• 13th Oct 2015

Overall my stay at Ostello Gallo d'Oro was good. The hostel itself looked quite nice, the staff was friendly and the breakfast was really good. Unfortunately the dinner events on Wednesday and Saturday, that were announced on the website, were not offered while I stayed there. Also, there is no real common room or lounge. Therefore it is quite hard to get in contact with other people. Additionally I got biten by a bed bug one night which I luckily was able to kill immediately...

This hostel is great! Just a short walk away from all the sites of the downtown Florence area, the staff are friendly and have good suggestions, and they have a very large free breakfast with leftovers throughout the day. The dorm room is clean and comfortable and lockers are provided. Although I was spoiled by single beds instead of dorm beds in my other hostel in Italy, I really cannot complain about anything at Gallo d'Oro. I would definitely stay if I go back to Florence.

A great hostel, conveniently located not far from the center of town & a 20 min. walk from the trainstation where we parked the car. We had a twin room which was spacious, the beds were good & the bathroom facilities sufficient. The hostel was clean and the breakfast buffet amazing. A nice touch was that there was some food available to snack on during the day & hot drinks. The staff was very friendly. I'd definitely recommend this hostel to anyone and go back there myself .

There was appetizer throughout the day, so I actually ended up spending very little on food. Appetizers were little sandwiches, coffee, juice, and often fruits.

• 26th Sep 2015

Quite near from the train station and a small walk to the city center. The staff there was very helpful and friendly with a good breakfast. I met some nice people there as well. I would easily stay at this hostel again.

Great staff & free meals (Yes! They provide "free breakfast " all day!!)

There should be a sign outside in the corridor, because we did not know, where we have to enter. The security is poor, because it is always the same door code, so everybody could enter. The lugguage place is a normal cupboard, without any security. The biggest problem was still the room and the washrooms. We had our room in a second apartment next to the actual hostel with uncomfortable beds and a creepy washroom (not lockable), the cleanliness was also not great. This part needs reconstruction!

Gallo D'Oro was a bit far outside of the old town. But the rooms and staff were very nice. The shower curtain in the bathroom and my lock were broken but still functional. With a few really minor repairs it would've been perfect. The free breakfast had excellent variety. Everything was also very clean and tidy. The balcony was a great feature of my room. It's a very quiet place but everyone was friendly. Would stay here again if I ever return to Florence.

Their breakfast is awesome. I also appreciated the availability of the hallway bathroom since the dorm's bathroom was sometimes occupied for long periods of time (girls...). They even have a computer for guests' use. Wi-Fi was inconsistent for me. The location isn't too central, but it's not too bad since Florence is pretty compact.

Big rooms! Twin XL beds, outlets near beds, and a balcony. Close enough to all the major historic landmarks. Breakfast was some of the best I've had at hostels in the past. Sandwiches, a vat of Nutella, toast, yogurt... quiches I think? Only two complaints, and full disclosure, I didn't bring them up to the staff, so I have no idea if they would have been remedied: No hand soap in the bathrooms. I had to buy my own. The wifi didn't work for me, and I couldn't even reach it from my room.

A true coffee for breakfast would have been perfect!

• 12th Sep 2015

Great hostel. My only complaint would be no hand soap in any washroom and when I asked about the Saturday night wine buffet, they had no idea what I was talking about and it didn't happen. Otherwise charming place with great staff and nice rooms! Very convenient and helpful, relaxed place!