Hostel Gastama Reviews

109/115 rue de Saint Andre, Lille, France

Nice Hostel not far from the center and the train station. Rooms are spacious with curtain on each bed. Shower were clean and breakfast was basic but good value for the price (juice, coffee and toast/cereales). They have a nice bar with a lot of different draught beer. The place is cozy in the day and full in the evening with a good mix of locals and guests. Friendly staff also. Best adress for backpacker in Lille for sure!

Overprice but convenient hotel !

• 24th Dec 2014

Hey! Thanks for your comment, which helps us to improve the service. We have to say however that we are a hostel, not a hotel, which often is a misunderstanding with french customers. And our average rate for one night is around 25.00€, which is not so overpriced for a hostel in Europe and in France, I would say... Thanks anyway! Hope we can see you back in Lille!

A really clean, safe and friendly environment that was superb value for money. Also a great location, as it's only a 15-minute walk from the city centre.

• 22nd Dec 2014

Good solid hostel, nice bar downstairs (did not try the food but it looked like everyone else was enjoying it). The only let down about the room was the shower/sink. They are push button activated and only last 20 seconds or so at a time and my room had lukewarm water at best. Other than that, nice place to stay.

Should not have to pay for breakfast as they make so much money in bar. It's not up to much anyway (disgusting coffee and orange juice both from machines) so even more reason not to pay. Also, price differed from first morning to the next. Either way should be free. Took staff a while to deal with a security issue I had. Especially one particular staffer. She and another of the girls were rude, re that and generally. Location ok. Nice kitchen to use. Ad says children welcome. Yeah right!!

Hi and thanks for your review, Sorry you did not enjoy the breakfast, even if we have machine, we use products of qualities inside. About the prices, the breakfast is 4€ when you booked it and 5€ afterwards. Concerning your problem of security, I can confirm the girls who were present this morning were not authorized to do what you asked, that's why they told you to come back later to check with an other staff member, We are really sorry If that were not properly interpreted. Nicolas

No hot water in showers !!!!!!!!!!!

So sorry about that !!!!! We had an important issue with hot water that has been solved by now. Of course too late for you... Just come back and you'll have the first night for free! Sorry again...

Shower was cold !

• 12th Dec 2014

Bonjour et merci pour votre commentaire, Toutes nos excuses pour le problème d'eau chaude qui a été assez délicat pour nous à régler, nous ne manquerons pas de nous faire pardonner en vous offrant un verre lors de votre prochaine vue, Merci encore pour votre séjour et désolé pour ce désagrément, Nicolas

Everything was excellent, but it should be noted that the staff was more than excellent.

• 10th Dec 2014
  • Serbia

Very nice hostel in the middle of the beautiful old town. Facilities were good, though I think the breakfast could be improved with some fruit as it currently consists of bread and cereal. Overall a very nice stay :)

• 9th Dec 2014

Nice hostel rooms are huge, beds are nice and have there won curtains so quite private. The staff here are great, funny kind and helpful The showers are the one let down basically a hose strapped to the wall, the one time I used them it was luke warm.

Stayed here for a weekend to enjoy the Christmas market and really enjoyed it. Took a dorm room and it was very clean. I was with a 'hostel virgin' who enjoyed the social aspect of the bar downstairs and in her words the room was 'cleaner than expected'. It was a little chilly but then I was there in December. Heating never quite warmed up. Would recommend this cute place and Lille in general was a pleasant surprise.

The shower gave only about 15 seconds of wTer before it turned off, much to short a time period to get the soap off.. Moreover, you could not adjust the shower head to minimise the wTer which got all over the bathroom. The staff even when asked in French how to get to the train station declined to tell me. It is basic information any receptionist should be able to impart.. Also, as they have removed the curtains around the beds there is a lack of privacy

Hi and thanks for you review, Sorry you do not appreciate the showers, we use this system over all for ecological concerns, perhaps a room ensuite would have been better for you. About the train station, sorry but we still try to understand what happened because both receptionnist who were working when you asked are fluent french/english and they know precisely the way to get there.About the problem with the curtains in your room, this kind of room never had curtains around the beds. Nicolas

Staff were very friendly both in the check in process and check out. When we had questions about the surrounding city they very readily answered our questions. The room was very nice and clean.

Great atmosphere, would definitely come back here again if I return to Lille.

I had friends staying on 1st and 2nd floors and they complained about the noise.

• 28th Nov 2014

A very friendly, well run hostel in Old Lille. The rooms were basic but clean and well equipped. A short walk from the city centre and a perfect base for your stay in Lille.

• 28th Nov 2014

The people at the reception was very nice, helpful and friendly. The room, shared bathroom and toilet were very cleaned. As a female, I felt safe. The hostel is at 10 min by bus from the train station.

• 19th Nov 2014

I enjoyed my stay very much and in case I should go back to Lille I'd certainly book a room there again.

• 18th Nov 2014

Excellent stay! The room was well designed, my bed was confortable And I liked the big compartments for luggage And personal belongings under the beds. Breakfast was cheap And hearty. I Will definitely book at Gastama when I travel to lille again.

• 16th Nov 2014

Stayed for one night on a Friday mid November. The staff were really friendly and made the effort to get to know you. The bar got very busy with mostly locals and it was a party vibe till the early hours. Very modern, clean and spacious. Big kitchen facilities and only 10min walk from the train station. Slightly more expensive than other hostels I stayed in but the facilities justify this