Hostel Kankun Reviews

YAXCHILAN AVENUE /END MARAÑON STREET # 26, Cancun, Mexico

The guy who owns the hostel and the place itself were dtotally rad!! This is my kind of place I loved it!! It's not the ritz or some collegy lame expensive party hostel like some of the others in cancun. 10/10 in my book. Made me feel like I was actually in Mexico. The neighborhood is also really fantastic with the big open market and amphitheater right down the street. Also the ADO station is nearby too so it's perfect for anyone who is backpacking or just moving through cancun. Go on the roof!

• 13th Jan 2016

This place is not welcoming nor clean. You can hardly tell how you should enter and the owner cannot get around very well. He took us into the laundry room which was a totally disgusting mess with heaps of laundry all over the ground.

Clean the mildew/ mould. Clear baking soda or vinegar works!!! Maybe not here... Toilet seat cost 110 pesos, please buy it to fit toilet disgusting & dangerous One loose sheet on bed with stains..had to ask for a "top" sheet Worst place to sleep in many, make that all, years of travel. It was a very last resort as other hostels were full, lost my booking after 25 hours on a bus, not 20. Filthy rusty fan, health alert!

• 9th Jan 2016

This place was convenient but you get what you pay for. The owner is nice. The overall quality is a little below par but not horrible. Great spot to save money.

Bathroom was really disgusting, I was scared of touching a wall , you could easily spot the moisture , the room look kinda clean but matelas where very very old and you could sence every spring in it .

• 1st Jan 2016

Very dirty hostel. You will meet anyone and staying there will ruin your cancun experience.

This hostel is really bad. Stayed in a private room with two beds, however both madrases were horrible and was only provided one sheet which meant I had to cover up with my own towel to keep warm. The sink in the bathroom was in a million pieces on the floor and the toilet and shower was in poor condition too. Although the manager was kind this is definitely not a place that I can recommend as the value for money is extremely low compared to alternatives.

I had booked 3 nights last minute and ended up paying USD 40 a night for a private room with shared bath at this hostel. There was only one sheet available (clean), no sheet to cover yourself. The bathroom was filthy and there was no toilet paper nor soap. The 'host' was downright rude. No need to say that I stayed only one night and only because it was too late to go looking for for an alternative. Disgusting!

• 26th Dec 2015
  • Denmark

Though the owner seemed friendly enough, there was no atmosphere to speak of in this hostel. Overall it is a very run-down facility. My shared bathroom looked like the setting for a horror film (though I surprisingly got a hot shower). Box springs poked through the mattress and the fan in the room was in disrepair making for an very uncomfortable, sleepless stay. I only stayed here for a quick overnight near the ADO bus station but will spring for a cab before staying here again.

This couldn't be call hostel. I would say is more like an old building who sale their rooms. Even though you pay peanuts to stay so you can't complain

Very true, you get what you pay for, but this place was at Africa's cheapest and worse levels. If spending 4 or 5 euros more doesn't count that much on your budget, consider staying somewhere else where you don't feel like living in a slum.

• 2nd Dec 2015

I´m afraid the photos on the website are not accurate. The wallpaper in my room was falling off, the fan was filthy and the bathroom was more than basic. (See pictures attached). However the old guy who let me in was super helpful! Would I recommend, likely not but if you are on a tight budget then yes.. A little bit of money spent on upgrading would help this place a lot.

We actually loved this place! It's different from what people imagine when going to a hostel and that's what we like about it. We only wanted peace and silence and we found it. We had a nice room, nobody disturbed us the 3 days, the atmosphere was very relaxed, the place was convenient, everything was working - kitchen, fridge, fen, bathroom. Everybody says it's not clean, but i think for the money you pay it's absolutely OK. Our room had clean sheets. The staff is friendly and nice! No problems

It's only £3 a night for a big private room, so you can overlook the bad for a short stay. We came back for a short stay in Cancun as it is so cheap.

You get what you pay for

It's not a good place to meet people! The hostel is very cheap, and the staff is nice, but the rooms are not too clean! The atmosphere in general is not too good.

Small hostel with a good location, very close to the ADO bus station. The staff is very helpful and the rooms have just the basic things for the price you pay (bed and fan, it's an old building). It's just a hostel to sleep because you don't really interact with other guests, but it's cheap, so one or two nights is okay. Thank you!