Hostel Kyotokko (ex Kyoto Cheapest Inn) Reviews

783 Sabamatsu-cho, Marutamachi-dori Matsuyacyo Nis, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan

Ad says 10 people, mixed share but there were 14. No ventilation in the room with stale air, lifts cannot be used for some reason they are reserved only for "staff" use. The showers are dirty even by hostel standards. The pillows I was given had stains on them but a pillow-case was provided. It's cheap but for $5 extra, I got a much much better, non-shared room in another hostel with absolutely no complaints.

• 17th Apr 2014

The hostel is not very clean. If it's cheap it doesn't mean that it needs to be dirty. Plus it has not personality. A dormitory can be cute if you pay attention to details but this is not the case.

At the time I was there, the Wifi connectivity was horrible, no internet at all. I've used the public computer, but I would rather have handled my private conversations with friends and family on my own devices. Everything else seemed fine for the hostel.

Nice place close to the Nijo Castel/Imperial Palace and manga Museum. For 1 or 2 nights it is ok. However the kitchen is very small.

It is easy to arrive since Nijo Castle is an easy place to locate. Price is really good and staff is great.

Good security is probably the best thing I can say about kyotokko. Had to ask for the supposedly provided bedding and towels. Bloodstains on carpet, foul smell and beyond mouldy shower curtain in bathroom. Worlds thinnest futons suck the warmth out of you into the floor. Looks nothing at all like it's photos. Have stayed in some seedy hostels before but this one was the most depressing and dissapointing yet.

Sleeping in the 20 Bed dorm wasn't really worth the price. The place is accessible by bus from the station, maybe a 5-10 minute walk which was ok. I arrived and headed straight out so didn't really spend too much time there.

I stayed there because I had no other choice : avoid as well if you can. It is a hostel that is definitely the worst in all the ones I've done in Japan. There are no lockers, dorms are 20 people on each floor, with difficulty to access plugs, WiFi is intermittent, and only 2 showers for the whole building... I think the wait made some of the clients skip showers from the smell that was in the room. Not recommended

Not enough showers for the amount of people in the hostel. Breakfast was good though!

If you're able to stay elsewhere - do so! Best thing to say would be the staff was ok. 1 of 2 computers was nearly broken, wifi didn't work and no one fixed it after several requests from different guests, 3 medium clean showers for alot of people, mixed dorm had even more (metal framed military style) beds then in the description and no recognisable AC. Ultimately it felt like this hostel is build for profit not for having a good time & interest for people. Breakfast was ok btw ;-)

We stayed in a private suite with an ensure bathroom. Room was spacious and clean. Bathroom was a little small, and the tap leaked leaving the bathroom floor to be wet at all times. No fan in the bathroom so the bathroom was constantly moist. We had a nice stay here otherwise. Free breakfast in the morning was a bonus even though it was just coffee, tea and toast. Would stay here again

• 21st Nov 2013

super old, dirty, really bad facilities (3 showers for 40 people, no real sinks for brushing your teeth). rooms looked like former industrial storage rooms. worst hostel I've stayed so far!

A really good hostel, I have just good things to say about it!! I depply recommend it!

The room was like a dirty gym locker room. Beds were thin, hard and overall just horrible. Location is a fair walk from the subway line. If you can, stay elsewhere, this place is a last resort.

Everything was fantastic and convenient, there was free complimentary breakfast which was a nice bonus and the staff were helpful and friendly. If I were to nitpick, the showers could have been cleaner (floor and drain) though I can't complain for the very cheap price.

• 12th Nov 2013

Enjoyed our stay here. Friendly and helpful staff made reservations for us over the phone when needed.