Hostel Kyotokko (ex Kyoto Cheapest Inn) Reviews

783 Sabamatsu-cho, Marutamachi-dori Matsuyacyo Nis, Kamigyo-ku, Kyoto, Japan

Very much a budget hostel. Not the worst place for sure as they do have all the facilities and staff is friendly but the showers are on the first floor only along with reception. Bike hire was good though and cheap compared to other spots and staff were very friendly. I'd recommend bringing a pillow though.

Don't charge so much for so little. Also, if I pay to leave my bag (which is a crappy thing to charge for) until 9pm, don't demand I take the bag at 7pm. It ruined all my plans. Don't be such cheapskates and charge for every little thing.

Very kind and helpful staff!

• 27th Dec 2015

Good value for money, having said that, there is one shower per floor which is old and a bit disgusting, dodgy wifi, questionable pillows and a fabric warehouse(?) as part of the dorm. Included breakfast is a big plus.

Good cheap hostel. Friendly staff and you can easily meet people downstairs. Definitely not luxury so don't expect an amazingly clean shower. Met lots of great people here. I recommend.

It was not easy to find good restaurants around the hostel. A small map with some reasonably priced restaurants would be nice.

Nice relaxing place to stay right near the Nijo Castle. Free toast, salad, and juice in the mornings and about a ten minute walk from the nearest metro stop and grocery store. No lockers for your stuff. Private curtains and outlets at each bed. Atmosphere was relaxed.

Sheets, room, and bathroom are very clean, but the air-condition somehow smell a little stinky. I stayed in a private room with my friends. 3people and still comfortable. A little far from train station but 5 mins walk from bus stop.

Overall good place and was happy here. Stayed at a-yado gion before here and it was just as good for a cheaper price but I'd be happy to stay here again if cheaper options weren't available.

• 30th Oct 2015

The hostel was quite nice. It wasn't very centrally located but that also meant it was quieter than where the nightlife happens. I stayed in a 20 ppl dorm and the beds all had curtains, etc. which gave you some privacy. Staff was quite helpful.

I wish I had booked a second night at Len hostel instead of getting stuck here, it was the same price too! Staff weren't very friendly and the older man behind the counter seemed grumpy the whole time. It felt like they had crammed as many people in as possible to the rooms and it was dark and smelt bad. On top of this they wanted an additional 1000yen deposit which haven't been mentioned before arrival

It's a very nice place, we will go with my friends 1 night but I liked much! We recomended this 100%

Considering it's only a little cheaper than other hostels the standard is much lower. The bathroom facilities are poor and there are only a few showers for most guests which are located in the common area. The rooftop area is unwelcoming. Sometimes the room was hot and a/c was not in guests control. The staff were helpful and the location was good in my opinion. The buses in Kyoto are very good and with a bus map it's a great way to travel around as subway stops don't reach as far as buses.

Nice place. Cool rooftop i guess. Not all the staff spoke good English. Had a cheese cake stolen hahaha first time something was stolen in japan

The staff was very nice and sweet! We got th private ensuit, which was ok, clean sheets, bathroom. Location was ok for us, not the most convenient, but it's right in the middle between west side and east side. So if you stay a couple of days, it's quite convenient. :))

The hostel was OK, a bit dirty, taking your shoes of before entering a room should be a rule, especially when it rains... It was crowded, but the people I met there made the experience. Location was good and the staff was friendly and helpful. Price/quality I would say the hostel doesn't live up to the expectations.

• 8th Sep 2015
  • Belgium

Pros: Very helpful staff Easy access from kyoto station Travellers from around the globe A nice small bar very close to it Toast and coffee for breakfast (free) Cons: A little far away from main attractions in Shiju dori The area gets deserted after 8PM

Friendly interns