Hostel Lao Reviews

Rioja 771, Mendoza, Argentina

I had a fabulous time at the hostel. The staff is lovely and really helpful picking and booking tours. Lots of nice people in the hostel, very social and friendly. The breakfast is good, too. I greatly enjoyed my time there.

Great location and lots of space to relax. Our room was however very very small, it was a private double, shared bathroom. Nice and quiet in the garden but NO where to store your belongings. Was rather strange also having friends & family over for a BBQ during our stay, we could pay $150 to join in but that is a bit pricey for us backpackers so instead we watched as kids ran around all evening screeching & jumping on the couches etc. I love kids, but it wasn't really appropriate for a hostel

Small room for a small price! Storage; cupboard, clothes rail+hangers+backpack spaces. Good enough for most. Event/kids-AR$150 for a 3 course meal with plenty of booze is hardly steep. We are a family business. Argentina is a family orientated culture. There were 3 kids here for 3/4 hours. Most guests told us how much they enjoyed meeting locals. I would recommend doing the same, not just with locals, but with guests in the hostel. Join in, meet people. Have some fun. Smile. Its good for you.

Awesome place. Great staff.

Friendly owner, large and clean rooms with a garden in the backyard.

PLUS: Clean. Nice staff, easy to get to center of town and the bus station. Nice mix of guests but hostel is on the smaller side - this is both a plus and a minus. Just as likely to be a few families and couples in the private rooms as single travelers. MINUS: Dorm rooms lack a chair to sit in while putting on shoes, and ladders to top bunks meaning those above step on your bed while you are asleep. Bathrooms lack clothes/towel hooks.

• 20th Apr 2014

Re your minuses.... Being small is superb.If you like bigger places stay in bigger places. Dont come to somewhere that advertises being small and complain its small! Actually its pretty rare we have families in. There are spaces&hooks in bathrooms for clothes, I dont know how you missed them. Sit on your bed to put your shoes on, we wont clutter rooms with chairs. No ladders but plenty of bed frame so no-one really needs to be stepping on your bed unless they are making a statement!

I absolutely cant fault this hostel, it is the best hostel i've stayed at in South America. I'm not a fan of party hostels and Lao is perfect because its the kind of place you can chill and talk to everyone. Only thing i will say is that don't leave flipflops laying around because the puppy will think they are a toy and destroy them, my own fault but a heads up! Loved this place, thanks Mike and Celeste!

Hola ! Thanks for the positive feedback. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay. Sorry again about the flippers. Yellow will be a super polite rescue dog in time for your next visit, or he´s going back on the street! Safe Travels

Great chilled hotel - loved every second. My only suggestion would be to ask tour questions of the managers during the day as the night staff aren't as experienced

Very nice hostel and atmosphere. Mike and Celeste were the best part of the stay - so welcoming with the best advice. The room that I was in (a double in the pool house) was great and it was a very cheerful orange. The location was about a 15-20 minute walk from a lot of the restaurants/plazas, but was in a perfect spot to catch the bus to Maipú.

Awesome place to stay~ thank you!

Very nice hostel with a good vibe and the cutest dogs:) breakfast is good and location very central - only 10 min walk from the bus terminal. Extended my stay from 1 to 6 nights :)

Great hostel with awesome staff! Super clean! Great back yard to chill out in! Close to the bus station and very secure!

I have only stayed at 2 hostels in my travels and can't say enough about Hostel Lao. I had a private room with a bathroom. Although it was right off the front door, I felt completely safe throughout my stay. It was noisy in the morning if people we leaving early, but otherwise it was nice and quiet at night. The staff was very helpful organizing transportation or navigating which bus you needed to take to get to certain areas of town and attractions. The common areas were excellent!

• 20th Mar 2014

Nice hostel not too far away from the city center and the bar district. Nice facilities and pretty good breakfast for Argentina. They do have a pool in the garden that you sadly cannot use because not clean. The double room with the shared bathroom is nice. Good advice from the front desk about wine tours in Mendoza.

Dear Guest During your stay at the hostel we had 4 days if none stop rain. We actually had over half our annual rainfall in just 1 day! We tried to keep the pool clean but mother nature was just too powerful! Fortunately not many guests wanted to jump on the pool in a cold, cloudy, wet weather! We invite you to come and see how clean the pool is when "El Niño" is not doing his worst! Best regards.

Nature. Grass. Swimming pool. Very good value hostel.

DO NOT stay here!!! Lied about having a 24 hour front desk, Closed from 2-5 Pressured us to use their vendors, and gave misinformation to discourage using others One girl was so rude- she took our key to the front entrance, knowing we would be locked out. She knew we had a plane to catch and said we would have to wait until 5 to be let inside, cutting time extremely close. At 5, the staff arrived but had forgotten his key. So we were locked out of the hostel, with our bags held hostage inside

We apologise for the key issue but nothing that happened makes the hostel dirty, unpleasant, unsafe, or justifys your ratings. If you followed normal thinking and had money to pay us when you checked out then none of the above would have happened. We always allow guests to keep their with keys after check out if they need them, provided they have paid. Really, who check outs, doesnt pay and demands to keep the key? We do not pressure sell or misdirect. Safe Travels.

Really helpful staff, particularly the lady, who gave me ideas on the best wineries to go to. They have two really sweet dogs who I was very sad to say goodbye to. Hammocks outside although you wouldn't go in the pool as it looks a bit dirty. TV is a bit temperamental. The red book of things to do includes an evening horseback riding - I did this and it was one of the most fun evenings I had in a three-month tour of South America.

Overall this place is awesome and would definitely recommend. The location is right in between the bus station (walking distance) and downtown (also walking distance). But because of this it is located kind of in the middle of nowhere and on a random street. Security is great though with double doors and a buzzer on the outside, and your own large locker inside. The facilities are beautiful and clean and staff is extremely helpful. Only bummer is that breakfast is pretty weak in comparison.

Perfect hostel, great staff and owners, will always come back

Hostel Lao is a perfect place to stay in Mendoza. Close to the terminal, an amazing and charming place to stay (loved the garden!), really nice staff and the information on activities got recommended by other travellers for a reason! I loved my stay and can only recommend it!

Really nice hostel with good facilities. It's very secure (2 always locked front doors). Our room was really nice - large with an ensuite. There was plenty of space in the 3 common areas as well as in the garden. Breakfast was large and tasty. The staff were extremely helpful - particularly Romina.