Hostel Lao Reviews

Rioja 771, Mendoza, Argentina

Really nice garden and common area, nice staff and a lovely hostel dog!

Really great hostel, very helpful guys working there. Great atmosphere and nice people. Recommend the lujan wine tour. Rooms leave a little to be desired, had the double room downstairs by the door. Bed on the floor, noise from the street strange room. Dorms looked nice though. Decent breakfast, friendly dog!

About our rooms; 1- you saw 1 double that was not to your taste, how can you comment on all rooms? 2-a FUTON is more than "a bed on the floor" 3-99.9% of guests do not find street noise an issue. If you stay in a city expect noise. We are located in the middle of the city and even though we have quadruple glazing on all our street facing rooms(only 3) we can not isolate all street noise. 5-ALL our rooms are of a very high quality, by our and 99.999% of our guests standards.

Staff were brilliant, I was poorly on arrival and was really welll looked after, offered extra blankets, a doctor etc. When feeling better the staff were fantastic at helping organise tours etc. Really nice lounge areas and a very cute hostel dog. Hostel is clean and is stroling distance from the bus stop and town. Really nice atmosphere, laid back and relaxed. Only one slow computer available for guest use.

fantastic staff who went above and beyond expectations

• 31st Aug 2013
  • Mixed Group, 41+

This is the number 1 hostel in South America!

This place was fantastic! I would recommend this place for everyone!

I had a great four nights at Lao. The staff was very helpful in planning our wine tour and a spa trip. I would absolutely recommend staying here during their time in Mendoza.

Loved the hostel and thought the staff were very helpful and friendly. We want to take marguerita home with us!!

Great Staff!!! A 20 minutes walk to the center of the city, but everything else was amazing.

The staff were the most helpful I've come across during my time in South America. They did everything they could to make me feel at home

• 18th Jul 2013
  • Scotland

Very nice hostel, kind people and nice breakfast. Whatever you want to do, people always are ready to help or give advice for a trip or a restaurant,... Bathroom was always clean, which is very nice. I fully would recommend it!

• 16th Jul 2013
  • Belgium

Even though this place was good, it did not live up to the high rankings on Hostelworld. When I booked, it was at 94%, which is at least 10% higher than it should be. In the summer it is probably nice with a pool and hammock, but in the winter it doesn't do anyone too much good. The staff ranged from great to so-so. There was only one computer, the kitchen was often crowded, and my duvet cover smelled like a heavily used pair of boxer shorts. I would probably not stay here on my next visit.

We are sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us as much as nearly all our guests do. We feel the hostel is a lovely space in winter, well heated, comfy lounges/communal spaces, a real fire. I am not too sure what heavily used boxer shorts smell like but we would have been happy to change your duvet if you asked us. We wash them frequently and they all have covers that we try to change after every guest so we are a little surprised by this. Safe Travels

Couldn't really praise this hostel any higher than 100%. The highlight from this hostel is by far the staff who are extremely attentive and helpful. They were able to recommend things to do that were both fun and affordable. Very light breakfast but you have access to the kitchen at all times to make your own food, just make sure to label it in the fridge. Easy access to downtown. No outlets in bedroom annoying but harmless. WIFI great. Hot showers. Computer on site.

The staff are very helpful and welcoming. Certainly appreciate that beverages are sold in the hostel (at market rate). The washrooms are VERY clean; it looks like they're cleaned a couple times a day and trash is removed several times thoroughout the day. My only complaint is the cleaning staff went through the stuff I left on the floor and threw out what she thought was garbage.

Nunca vi cama de casal no chão em colçhao simples de espuma e em cima de um estrado

Futon beds are very common throughout the world. They are not just mattresses on the floor. There is 1 room in Lao with a futon and it has a very high quality mattress resting on a low wooden base. A 73 year old lady stayed in the room and said she slept well, but getting out of bed was not always easy! We think your score for our home is extremely unrealistic. Perhaps hostels do not have what you are looking for and you need to up the budget and stay in a hotel? Safe Travels

This is one of the best hostels we have ever stayed in. The private rooms are more of a high hotel standard, but the hostel runs as a really nice relaxed place to stay an meet people if you want to. The facilities are great, the hostel staff are amazing, and their dog Margarita is the best. We had a really good time!

Maybe not the best hostel in Argentina but it was nice! Nice people working there.

• 28th Jun 2013
  • Sweden

Hola, We are glad you enjoyed the hostel. Please stop looking for the "best" something and come enjoy a beautiful relaxed home. Safe Travels

A very nice hostel, friendly staff and they were helpful with telling us how to go about doing the wine tour. Which was also very nice. Overall great place thanks :)

• 17th Jun 2013

There is a lot of hype behind Hostel Lao - the best hostel in Mendoza or even on the continent. This place is good, but not that good. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the couple of days I spent here and the breakfast is fine, but it's not the cheapest place in Mendoza, and with only 2 bathrooms, excluding the private rooms, which is annoying.

Hola AJ, We are pleased you enjoyed your stay here, despite all your arguments with other guests! If your definition of a good hostel is the cheapest place in town then you will not like us! We are not trying to be the best hostel. We are doing our best to create a home. We provide fantastic value for money for access to the house and its excellent facilities. And yes, just 2 bathrooms for 2 upstairs dorms where only 10 people sleep. This is a very good ratio. Safe Travels.

Incredibly helpful staff with lots of tips for things to do in Mendoza - things you wouldn't find in the guidebooks. Very clean, breakfast good with bread, pastries, fruit, coffee. Location is ideal, halfway between the bus station and town centre. Couldn't fault this hostel - 1 of the best we've stayed in in South America.