Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

This hostel was great!! I had some last minute plans change and they were incredibly accommodating. Would definitely recommend to anyone wanting a chill vibe close to the walled city

Mamallena is a great spot to stay if you plan on going to the Wednesday night party in Media Luna. Its located directly across the road. The tables outside make it very easy to interact with other travellers. Our dorms were air conditioned all day long which is necessary for Cartagena. Our laundrey was returned smelling of fried onions due to the dryers odd location of the kitchen? Staff were very rude and hated answering any questions. Felt like we were disturbing them constantly!

A convenient hostel in a great location in Getsimani. A nice, chilled atmosphere - good for meeting other travellers. Air conditioning in the room was a blessing!

The only negative thing that I can think of was in my room there were steam holes for the bathroom, but there was no net covering them so it made it easy for mosquitos to fly in. Suggest putting a net over them (it was room number 1). Otherwise, great location, clean, friendly staff and ideal environment for making friends. Would definitely recommend it.

Good hostel. Easy walk to walled part of city. Feels pretty secure. The outside area is a good place to hang out. On the negative side- no hot water, Bad internet and some ants in the room.

Worst place I have ever stayed in. The floor was filthy and had hairs all over it. They have 6 wifi connections, but only 1 worked and you needed to use it at the entrance to the hostel. My major complaint is that outside my room there is a speaker mounted that blasts music randomly during the day and all night until 1am. I knew this was a party hostel but that was ridiculous. They should keep the music to the bar. I left after a day and a half, no refund was given for unused days.

Overall the hostel was ok I only stayed as it was the meeting point for San Blas Adventure pick up. The room was ok, ensure and had lockers. Bathroom clean enough but the door wasn't flush with the wall so there was a gap you could see through which isn't the best when you're put in a room with 6 men.

One of the most accommodating hostels I've stayed in! Arrived and was told that they had overbooked the dorm rooms, but had moved us to a private room with own bathroom and air con for the same price. Incredibly flexible with our uncertainty on additional nights- and allowing us to stay in private room if additional days were needed. Deep was SO helpful with recommendations for day trips, and restaurants! Was in Colombia for two weeks and this was by far the best hostel experiencned

I really liked this hostel, as a solo traveller I found that the lay out contributed to a very social atmosphere where it was easy to meet lots of people. It was a tad cliquey at times but that can't be helped, there just happened to be lots of groups. A/C in the dorms is another win as it gets v hot. Staff were helpful throughout. Sometimes it seemed that no one was guarding the doors and the dorms weren't locked but here were large lockers inside.

I stayed 2 nights and liked it. Good location to walk around, things like the fort and city walls are within 10 min walking. AC in the dorms 24/7 which is really nice. Staff for the most part are very helpful except one girl who was more interested in playing on her phone and talking to locals than answering questions. The British girl was the most helpful and friendliest, not to mention gorgeous :) I recommend this hostel as a good starting point for trips or sightseeing in Cartagena!

We loved our stay at mamanellas! The place clean and affordable, and the AC in the private room is exceptional. Breakfast is decent, laundry service could be better. Staff are super nice (especially Hannel) and the owner is awesome! The common areas don't get much breeze, making it difficult to hang there sometimes. Great experience overall!

We had a great stay here. The staff were very friendly and always ready to help. Air con was amazing. Great hang area for meeting other travelers. Free pancakes in morning was a great bonus. They offer a laundry service 15000. They'll also help arrange daytrips and onward travel. If you're wanting quiet early nights however this isn't the place, music always playing from about 9am-midnight. Thanks Mamallena's, we'll be back.

I had an amazing stay at hostel mamallena. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. They organized day trips that picked up right from the hostel. Atmosphere was great. No complaints at all, I would highly recommend this hostel if you're in Cartagena.

great hostel, chilled out and with a nice bar. had a misunderstanding with the staff one day and they actually went out of their way to make up for it. super friendly!

Aircon was great in the dorm and definitely welcome in cartagena. I felt the staff were a little mixed. Sometimes a bit grumpy. It is a good place to meet people.

Only thing I knocked it down for was the wifi which can very slow and tempremental. Other than that, i was there for 4 nights. 2 of which I was staying in and cant say I found it overly impossible to sleep when I was. Aircon in the room was a godsend. Good bar and outside common area. Free pancakes and nice food options in the evening. Great atmosphere with people if you are heading out. All in all a great few days and I would definitely go back if in Cartagena.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. I have to get defensive about the internet though :) We pay for the fastest speed we can, and have a number of different routers to spread the number of users, Unfortunately the service from the provider isnt always great, and it often depends on how many people are trying to use it at once. That said, I have just added two more 9 meg internet lines and routers to try and stop any problems with speed and access. We're more than happy to see you back here again

Free pancakes! Very good location

How can people not love free pancakes, they're great!

Nice place, close to major attractions and right next to one of the best bar in the city... It can be a little loud at night but Cartagena is not for sleep

Undeniably a party hostel. Bar playing loud and awful music until 3-4 am most nights. Decent WiFi in most areas but struggled to reach the dorms upstairs. One lady staff member with short hair very very helpful but the rest were awful. If you're a group of guys looking for a place to drink cheap and go out then this might suit, for everyone else you may be more comfy somewhere else.

Sorry you felt that way, but I'm not sure how you can think that only one of our 10 staff was any good, including myself! I'm usually nicer than that. We dont play music until 4am at all. There are other bars that are open until then, but ours isnt one of them. I try to make them play better mucis but they dont always listen.

Our fav hostel so far in Colombia! We stayed in private room here having come from a dorm room in El Viajero and it was perfect with our own bathroom. The hostel has a great atmosphere that El Viajero cannot provide due to its size. The location is perfect with Trinidad Plaza just around the corner. The only negative was our room was beside the bar / reception and was a little noisy, however we didn't mind. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend this hostel!

Glad you enjoyed it, and I didnt even have to twist your arm for a good review :) Feel free to come back anytime.