Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

Awesome atmosphere! met a lot of cool people from all around the world. They have a kitchen but it lacks a bit of equiptment in my opinion. Big common area, A/C in the rooms!(super important in Cartagena). Great location and the offee shuttles service. The bar&restorant is a bit over charging.. overall I would reccomend to stay there!!

We do try our best, glad it all went well. You're right about the kitchen, we do often need more equipment. One reason for that is that it keeps getting stolen! I did think we were cheap in the bar though, all day happy hour is 2 mojitos/cuba libres for 16 000 pesos($6.40). I would have thought that was cheap anywhere! We also let you bring your own alcohol into the hostel, which a lot of hostels don't do. Hope you can come back sometime.

Really cool hostel! The owner, Stuart, is super nice and let's you bring alcohol from outside even though there's a bar (which not many hostels let you do). Nice atmosphere with chilled outside area. 5 min from the old town. There's quite a few animals they've rescued from the street - you can cuddle with them too (Big plus!). We've stayed there twice and would definitely recommend it! Note: there is a bar, so if you're sensitive to noise, don't go there. If you're not, go go go!

There was no hot water and breakfast could have more to eat than pancakes. Besides that, amazing place to stay. Definitely recommended.

Unfortunately no hot water, sorry. The pancakes are free for breakfast and people are usually OK with them, but we do have other options to buy as well. If our free breakfast was better then we'd have to charge more and we are trying to avoid doing that. Glad you had a great time.

The hostel was in a great location and the owner is a great man. I stayed here two separate times after originally staying at a different Cartagena hostel. The service, location and facilities here are the best that Cartagena has to offer in terms of hostels! I highly recommend Mamallena!

And the third stay is coming up soon right???

Great location, in the best area of Getsemani. The walk to Ciudad Amurallada is maybe 10min. Very friendly and helpful staff, the room and the common area (patio) was very clean... prices for food and drinks were reasonable.

I like staying at mamalllena, but this last time they overcharged me. On the site, I got one price and when I paid they gave me another. There needs to be more transparency when it comes to pricing regardless of 'high seasons' and special occasions.

• 13th Mar 2015

I'm glad you like us, and sorry for some confusion in the price. I wish you had said something at the time, cause we have not changed our prices. The amount you booked at is what you should have paid. We're not in the business of stealing a dollar or two from you, its not worth the bad reviews :)

I was supposed to be staying only two nights in Cartagena. I stayed those two nights at Mamallena, and then three more, and then... Well let's just say it's been a few weeks and I don't have my mind set on leaving. I love the staff here at Mamallena especially my soul sisters Imera and Deeps. The guys at the bar are super fun too. All things in consideration (staff, sleeping arrangements, ambiance, food, bar, price) I couldn't have picked a better hostel!

• 10th Mar 2015

Hostel Mamallena is now my absolute favourite. Stayed here twice and will return. The guys that work here are second to none they are most friendly and their local knowledge is invaluable. The hostel is also a tour company so it's your one stop shop for accommodation and all the best things to do in and around Cartagena. Both times I stayed here I did the bus trip to Playa Blanca and this is a must do! Stay here, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks, it was a pleasure to have you here, and would be great if you can make it back again one day soon.

I stayed in a private room which was nice. The room was pretty basic but comfortable, spacious, had AC and a comfortable bed. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. there is an area in the middle of the hostel that you can chill and socialize with people. Locations is 5 minutes walk to the old town. Staff were helpful and nice. they play very good music all day in the common area. There is also a bar and restaurant.

we stayed in a double bed room with private bathroom. the waterbasin had a leak and water was dropping on your feet while washing your hands. and the toilet was dirty, when we arrived. the room itself was very airless and there are no windows in the room. room was small and dark. staff was very unfriendly and seemed to be bored.

Can I ask if you told us about the dripping washbasin? That could have been fixed. If the toilet was dirty when you arrived I am sure you told us about it right? Then again, you probably waited to get online to do so. All our rooms have windows, the one you are referring to has a small window above the door, and it does open. usually they are closed because the AC is turned on. Our staff often react back to the guests as the guests react to us.

Nice hostel... not enough common space.. perfect location

Glad you liked the place, but not enough common space? We have a courtyard that extends the entire length of the hostel, a balcony on the first floor, a TV room and a bar. Not sure how much more we could get!

Friendly and helpful staff. In a good location. Overall good hostel.

I really liked this hostel, the rooms were clean, A/c was on 24/7 the breakfast was pretty good and the tours were easy to book there. The location is also great, the only problem I had was I found one of the staff members to be quite unhelpful, and act like any request was asking too much. Aside from that I really enjoyed my stay here.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. It also had one of the best locations. I had a great time there.

Thats what we like to hear! people that come to enjoy the place, and do!

The location is okay but the showers were cold, it was freezing in the dorms (too much A/C) it was dirty and always VERY loud (a bar downstairs, 2 bars in the street), there is no rules so people just smoke and drink in the dorms. No security at all, anyone can enter the hostel and get into any room without any problem, actually, random people were entering our room to use our bathroom, a guy was even doing coke in our bathroom !! The only good thing was the girl at the reception, she was great

No hostel in Cartagena has hopt water, so thats a moot point. You are complaining about too much AC in Cartagena? Such a hard life eh? Everyone passes past our reception desk to enter the hostel and we do let friends of our guests into the hostel. Sorry about that. Coke in your room? maybe we should post a security guard in each dorm room to control the guests in that room. Photo ID to get in maybe? Next time you come I suggest the Hilton.

This is a party hostel, bar played music till 2am every night. Friendly helpful staff, good location, good breakfast, clean, wifi usable but slow. The hostel can book tours for you, I did the Mud volcano which was good fun, unique and the guide was in English and Spanish. I did one of the boat tours the next day but this was not in English so was very hard to follow and made the trip less enjoyable, so don't assume all tours are in English. Overall a nice stay.