Fabulous 392 Total Reviews
Fabulous 392 Total Reviews
Hostel Mamallena Located at 10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena.
Colombia
Cartagena Bolivar 10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani
83% 392
10.4224797 -75.5449280
    Rooms available

• Philippines, Female, 25-30
6th Nov 2016

Mamallena is nicely located just 5 mins from the Walled City. The atmosphere is great for solo or group travellers. The clubs and cafes just outside the hostel gives a good party vibe. I didn't have a problem staying in a mixed dorm with me as the only girl! My roommates were awesome, too. I would recommend this to anyone staying in Cartagena.

2nd Nov 2016

I had a blast at Mamallena. It was well taken care of, the staff was friendly and helpful, and Stuart was a gem. I stayed in an 8 bed mixed dorm and the bed was comfortable and the room, and en suite bathroom, were clean. Location was great, very close to the old city. It's loud at night - not so much the hostel itself because the garden area closes early. But the bar downstairs and hostel across the street are loud late at night. It's definitely a social hostel but it wasn't a raging party.

• USA, Male, 31-40
21st Oct 2016
4.9

Hostel is on Calle Medialuna, which is a seedy street full of drug dealers, prostitutes, and scammers. With that said, inside the doors is a bit better. The common patio area is reasonably comfortable and you can meet other travelers there. Got charged COP 6000 by the kitchen lady for a bowl of fruit after the fact even though I was told before that it was complimentary. Staff doesn't respond well to gringos who speak fluent Spanish & will try to rip you off on small purchases. Skip Cartagena

Yeah, Getsemani is still a little bit that kind of neighbourhood, still a little bit edgy. Thats usually pretty well known though and its one reason people come. I am sorry to say i have my doubts on how fluent your spanish is though, we have never offered free fruit, our breakfast is free pancakes, and if you want additionals you can buy them, such as fruit. I think something got lost in translation. I have seen my reception staff speaking in Spanish to many "gringos", but often its quicker and easier to speak english, and most people appreciate it. It can be busy at the desk and I suggest coming back after you check in if you'd like to practice. Not sure how we rip you off on small purchases, the price is the price and we dont charge extra, if that happened then you should complain at the time. Cartagena is a beautiful city as well, you might not like it but saying to skip it is a big call.

20th Oct 2016

Great place to meet people. Some cockroaches in kitchen though. Diego-staff member is a creeper.

We do fumigate the kitchen regularly, but cockroaches are a problem in the tropics. We do our best to get rid of them though. We havent had any other complaints about Diego, and it is a bit rough to name him in public without speaking to us first, but I will have words with him.

• England, Male, 25-30
19th Oct 2016
3.7

If you like pillows that smell of petrol this is the place to stay.

Really? Did you mention it to us? Obviously there was other problems as well, based on your low rating of everything. Letting us know these problems goes a long way further than leaving a review like this.

• roberto_armengual6471
  • Mexico, Male, 25-30
  • Globetrotter
15th Oct 2016

Nice hostel, easy to meet people and hang out, no far from the old city. I would definitely stay there again.

• Wild-free
  • Australia, Female, 25-30
14th Oct 2016

Great hostel. Really enjoyed my time. A/c stayed on in the room the whole time which is a must for Cartagena. However, there was no real place to sit when it rained, literally no where to hang out and the Tv room smelt like cat pee.

14th Oct 2016
7.1

The people at mamallena are fantastic! And the pancakes are nice too, but the hostel could use a facelift. There are no locks on the dorm room doors and the bathrooms weren't the cleanest. !but the location is super handy to getsmani and has a nice feel at night. Overall, would recommend!

No locks on the doors, but many hostels are like that, and we have large lockers in each room that are big enough for your bag. Bathrooms are cleaned twice a day, in the morning and the afternoon, outside of that time they may be a little messy after being used a lot. The building is a little old and it does get a bit run down in parts, but we are continually painting and doing repairs. Just maintaining the walls in Cartagena is a chore, theres so much humidity.

• England, All Female Group, 25-30
12th Oct 2016

Enjoyable stay, great location and very sociable.

12th Oct 2016

the location of the hostel is great! Close to the historic center and srounded by bars and restaurants. I arrived solo but explored the city with a few of the other travelers I met at the hostel! The rooms are clean and always cool. You can find a cheaper hostel but I think it's worth the few extra bucks for the a/c cleanliness. It's a good combination of a party hostel and chill place (quiet time starts at11if I remember correctly). For me it was the other guests that made my stay a fun one.