Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

Our fav hostel so far in Colombia! We stayed in private room here having come from a dorm room in El Viajero and it was perfect with our own bathroom. The hostel has a great atmosphere that El Viajero cannot provide due to its size. The location is perfect with Trinidad Plaza just around the corner. The only negative was our room was beside the bar / reception and was a little noisy, however we didn't mind. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend this hostel!

If you wish to be in a smoke free/drug free environment this place isn't for you. I had a good stay but for some reason I wasn't comfortable bc of the guest who disobeyed the rules aside from that you decide on your own if you wish to visit. Breakfast was free but its just pancake u either enjoy it or go over to Locombia to dine or wherever else. Staff I thought were great- the social area is pretty chill. I enjoyed my stay!

• 25th Jun 2015

This hostel had a few positives and a few negatives. The location and the staff are very good. You're able to book tours really easily through the hostel. The air con in dorms is very good. The bar downstairs does good and cheap food. The thing that let the hostel down was the cleanliness of the bathrooms and especially the kitchen. Also, be aware that like in many hostels, the bar plays loud music until late, so don't expect much sleep!

Good stay. Nice spacious room. Staff very helpfull and accommodating. Good pizza's too. Recommend

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

The location is really good and the bar staff is excellent!they are really helpful and friendly. Unfortunatly the shared bathroom was always dirty. It get as well very loud because all the rooms are located to the courtyard, bring earplugs!! :-)

Air con is a plus in this weather. One member of staff wasn't very helpful but another was very. Was quite pricey in my opinion for what it was but perhaps that's the price you pay for air con. Expect to wait a while for your pancakes in the morning

Great staff!! Especially Deeps from book exchange was amazing - I told her how I came about giving my book to a fellow travler and that afterwards I realized now I dont have anything to keep me busy on long bus journeys. DEEPS was super sweet and gave me her book so my journeys wont seem so long!! 10/10 for guest satisfactory. Thos is what hospitality is ;)

The staff were very laid back, helpful and friendly. The facilities were clean and conducive to having a good time. The pancakes for breakfast were an added bonus! My one cautionary point would be that the common area is basically right outside many of the rooms, which can make it noisy at night. However, this can be a non-issue with planning (i.e. bring earplugs) or by going out.

Good social hostel. Clean. Decent staff. Not party, but perfect warm up.

Excellent experience in Mamallena! Great open space in the middle perfect for meeting people as well as a bar in the hostel. Breakfast is good (pancakes made fresh for you when you ask) and included. The staff is very friendly and bilingual in Spanish and English (maybe others, who knows). Internet is good and works in some of the rooms. The only thing is that the showers are cold, but really this is not a problem because its so freaking hot in Cartagena that its actually refreshing.

• 26th May 2015

Nice hostel in a superb location. It's about a 7 minute walk from the walled city, which is perfect - you avoid some of the more egregious gringo-pricing, but the walls are still a short walk away. The people here were nice, and the staff was helpful. They have relationships with tour companies, which is very convenient, although I sometimes had to check to see if we were getting a good deal. And most importantly, A/C! Glorious A/C! After a few sweaty nights in Santa Marta, this was a godsend.

We have stayed here on and off while using Cartagena as a hub for the surrounding area for two months, and couldn't be happier with it. The hostel has a great location, you get pancakes and coffee each morning, and it has a chill hangout area. The staff here is really nice, helps you with everything you need, and the owner really cares about the hostel and it's guests, always greets everybody and makes you feel taken care of. Stay here! PS: Check out Mamallena hostel in Rincon Del Mar too!

My stay was average. The location is great, close to the wall with plenty of food options and nearby action. The biggest downfall is the poor staff. They are indifferent and couldn't answer basic questions. For example they offer a shuttle to a popular beach but "don't know" how to get there by public bus. I get they want to sell the tour, but a good hostel would also provide the info and a choice. The cleaning people clean the room and ensuite at 7am (not discreetly). The atmosphere is great.

Wow. I'm sorry that all that time I spent personally talking with you, chatting with you, asking if everything was OK, explaining about things around the city seems to have been wasted! You can probably count me, as the owner, as one of the staff members as well, and considering I am here most of the time I am always available, as you saw. I find it sad that one problem u had with one staff member one day affected your entire rating.

There was no water at all the first day we were there which isn't their fault but it was all very poorly communicated and the staff were unhelpful.

The hostel has friendly staff and a nice atmosphere, but ifyou want to sleep in the night this is not your place to stay. the hostel is located next to a bar, so there is loud music every night. And breakfast was only on the second day available.

We do make it pretty clear that it may be a bit noisy at night, we're not trying to hide that at all. One day(in the last 3 years) one of our staff didnt come to make the breakfast so we do apologise for that. That said, the breakfast is something we offer for free apart from the price, and we are still cheaper than other hostels that don't have AC available 24 hours and also don't have breakfast. I think we are actually pretty good value for money compared to other hostels.

Really friendly place with great staff. Fantastic common area, perfect for meeting people. Aircond rooms :).

Decent hostel with good breakfast (bit slow). the dorm was large, clean as comfortable (plus it had air con). laundry service was cheap and good. wifi was good. location is decent to as it's fairly close to the old town. staff were very friendly and drinks were reasonably priced.

Nice hostel, great location, but very poor breakfast!

• 27th Apr 2015

Awesome atmosphere! met a lot of cool people from all around the world. They have a kitchen but it lacks a bit of equiptment in my opinion. Big common area, A/C in the rooms!(super important in Cartagena). Great location and the offee shuttles service. The bar&restorant is a bit over charging.. overall I would reccomend to stay there!!

We do try our best, glad it all went well. You're right about the kitchen, we do often need more equipment. One reason for that is that it keeps getting stolen! I did think we were cheap in the bar though, all day happy hour is 2 mojitos/cuba libres for 16 000 pesos($6.40). I would have thought that was cheap anywhere! We also let you bring your own alcohol into the hostel, which a lot of hostels don't do. Hope you can come back sometime.

Really cool hostel! The owner, Stuart, is super nice and let's you bring alcohol from outside even though there's a bar (which not many hostels let you do). Nice atmosphere with chilled outside area. 5 min from the old town. There's quite a few animals they've rescued from the street - you can cuddle with them too (Big plus!). We've stayed there twice and would definitely recommend it! Note: there is a bar, so if you're sensitive to noise, don't go there. If you're not, go go go!