Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

The staff was very friendly and helpful. It also had one of the best locations. I had a great time there.

This is a party hostel, bar played music till 2am every night. Friendly helpful staff, good location, good breakfast, clean, wifi usable but slow. The hostel can book tours for you, I did the Mud volcano which was good fun, unique and the guide was in English and Spanish. I did one of the boat tours the next day but this was not in English so was very hard to follow and made the trip less enjoyable, so don't assume all tours are in English. Overall a nice stay.

Good place to stay. Not as much of a party hostel as Media Luna but it is probably a better to stay here and then party at Media Luna (as Media Luna is opposite this hostel)! Close to most of the main attractions and the staff were generally pretty helpful.

The Staff is very rude. There is a lot of noise everyday until 2 or 3 am....then noise starts agains at 7 am...no sleep at all.

• 18th Oct 2014
  • Peru

A really cool hostel. Location seemed a little rough at first , but it's safe and the area doesn't charge like they do in centro, which is a ten min walk away. Staff are very helpful, and very friendly. Loved Colombia

staff where great. the hostel isnt a party hostel but it is sooo noisy. all the rooms face right where people hang around and even the quiter conversations you can hear perfectly from your room. also if your sleeping ontop of the bar then good luck. they play the music soo loud we went for a beer in there on the last night and we couldnt evem hear ourselfs talk. not good for a tiny empty bar

Hostel was great, short walk from main walled part of Old Town, to the castle and Muelle Turistica to get boats to Playa Blanca. Pancake breakfast yummy, although if you are up and leaving early check there will be breakfast from 7am as it says on the info as on the first day we were disappointed as no breakfast was ready. People are coming back from the beach so bathrooms get a bit grubby but no more so than usual. Staff really really helpful and friendly.

Glad you enjoyed your stay here with us. A shame you went on the boats to PB, our shuttle that leaves from the hostel is MUCH more comfortable, quicker and works out cheaper as well. I'm sorry about the breakfast, I didn't realise that that was happening, I have spoken to the guy in the kitchen and breakfast should be ready at 7am. Should be ready.........

Good hostel. Very loud at night. Located in a lively party district.

I had such a great stay at Hostel Mamallena. It is in a central location and it is easy to get to all of Cartagena's attractions. It is not a fancy place, and the rooms and facilities are very basic, but it has a very safe and lovely atmosphere. The staff was very warm and welcoming. According to fellow travelers I met, it is a much better option than most hostels in the area. The breakfast and AC are also great. I would absolutely stay there again!

I arrived on a day when the water was mostly out. My dire need for a good shower skewed my opinion of the facilities/atmosphere. Other than that, the pancakes were good, the AC was cold at night, and the proximity to the old city and bars was great.

Well, we really appreciate you giving us the benefit of the doubt over something that was a citywide problem and out of our control!

I took a long time trying to find the perfect place to stay in Cartagena and apparently it was worth my time :) Mamalena is great, the staff is very friendly and helpfull. The rooms are cool, nice beds and lockers. The toilets were clean and good for a quick shower. The common area is great, met nice people there. What made the difference is that they book all the tours you want, also shuttle buses to almost anywhere. They made my journey through the Caribean sea so much easier :) thanks guys!

• 17th Aug 2014

Thanks for that, I'm glad that we could help you to enjoy all of your trip. Be sure to come back next time you're up this way.

Fantastic staff! A smile on their faces make a world of difference to make us feel welcome.

• 16th Aug 2014

Very disapointed with this hostel... they canceled our reservation without even try to call us, when we arrived we found a used condom in our bathroom, and globally the bedroom was really filthy (nothing compare to the pictures). Besides, it's really noisy, and way beyond midnight as it's indicate, and the staff was really not nice, Maybe it can be a good place if you just want to meet new people, and if you dont care about the commodity aspect. Otherwise, run!

Its strange how you get to say what you want on the internet, but you never came to us while you were here about any of these problems. Your reservation wasn't here because you booked to arrive 2am on one day, and then expected the night before the day you booked for. That happens when making late night bookings, but we found you a new place to stay for the night and gave you free drinks even though it wasn't our fault. The staff that helped you with all this say thanks very much!

This hostel was great, only issue was that most of the rooms are just on the main area so it is quite loud at night as everyone is out drinking and chatting.

I had a fantastic stay at Hostel Mamallena. The staff was friendly and helpful, the AC at night was clutch, the ensuite bathroom to the dorm was clean (although I was woken up by them cleaning it twice), the atmosphere in the courtyard was great, and the location is fantastic, right in the middle of the other hostels and bars and walkable to the old town. They'll also help you book other excursions from Cartegena. Just watch out for the parrot, she bites.

Congratulations Stuart ! Amazing hostel :) Special thanks to the receptionist who Works in the morning shift, she helped me a lot :)

Mamallena had a very good vibe. All of the staff was friendly and I loved that we were able to book and coordinate different trips right at the hostel. I loved the open common area where we could meet other travelers. The restaurant and happy hour at the bar; I loved the mojitos! Overall, a agreta experience. Thank you! Air conditioning was definitely a plus!

• 29th Jul 2014

Great hostel, really helpful staff, they can help you get to your next destination and book it all! Great location, only a few minutes from the old town, supermarkets etc. Very clean, has a basic kitchen and the food at the restaurant is a little pricey but really good. The only downside is the aircon is only on from 9-9. So if your planning to stay in your room hungover all day-don't even think about it.

Great location in the old city. The pancake breakfast was pretty good too!

Great location, just outside the old town with lots of little restaurants and bars to choose from nearby. Very social hostel and lots of fun, but not the best if you want to go to bed early, all rooms overlook the courtyard, which they shut down at midnight I think, which is reasonable. They offer lots of info and bookings for Playa Blanca, Santa Marta, Panama San Blas Islands, and more. Very convinient for lazy people.