Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

My stay was average. The location is great, close to the wall with plenty of food options and nearby action. The biggest downfall is the poor staff. They are indifferent and couldn't answer basic questions. For example they offer a shuttle to a popular beach but "don't know" how to get there by public bus. I get they want to sell the tour, but a good hostel would also provide the info and a choice. The cleaning people clean the room and ensuite at 7am (not discreetly). The atmosphere is great.

There was no water at all the first day we were there which isn't their fault but it was all very poorly communicated and the staff were unhelpful.

The hostel has friendly staff and a nice atmosphere, but ifyou want to sleep in the night this is not your place to stay. the hostel is located next to a bar, so there is loud music every night. And breakfast was only on the second day available.

We do make it pretty clear that it may be a bit noisy at night, we're not trying to hide that at all. One day(in the last 3 years) one of our staff didnt come to make the breakfast so we do apologise for that. That said, the breakfast is something we offer for free apart from the price, and we are still cheaper than other hostels that don't have AC available 24 hours and also don't have breakfast. I think we are actually pretty good value for money compared to other hostels.

Really friendly place with great staff. Fantastic common area, perfect for meeting people. Aircond rooms :).

Decent hostel with good breakfast (bit slow). the dorm was large, clean as comfortable (plus it had air con). laundry service was cheap and good. wifi was good. location is decent to as it's fairly close to the old town. staff were very friendly and drinks were reasonably priced.

Nice hostel, great location, but very poor breakfast!

• 27th Apr 2015

Awesome atmosphere! met a lot of cool people from all around the world. They have a kitchen but it lacks a bit of equiptment in my opinion. Big common area, A/C in the rooms!(super important in Cartagena). Great location and the offee shuttles service. The bar&restorant is a bit over charging.. overall I would reccomend to stay there!!

We do try our best, glad it all went well. You're right about the kitchen, we do often need more equipment. One reason for that is that it keeps getting stolen! I did think we were cheap in the bar though, all day happy hour is 2 mojitos/cuba libres for 16 000 pesos($6.40). I would have thought that was cheap anywhere! We also let you bring your own alcohol into the hostel, which a lot of hostels don't do. Hope you can come back sometime.

Really cool hostel! The owner, Stuart, is super nice and let's you bring alcohol from outside even though there's a bar (which not many hostels let you do). Nice atmosphere with chilled outside area. 5 min from the old town. There's quite a few animals they've rescued from the street - you can cuddle with them too (Big plus!). We've stayed there twice and would definitely recommend it! Note: there is a bar, so if you're sensitive to noise, don't go there. If you're not, go go go!

There was no hot water and breakfast could have more to eat than pancakes. Besides that, amazing place to stay. Definitely recommended.

Unfortunately no hot water, sorry. The pancakes are free for breakfast and people are usually OK with them, but we do have other options to buy as well. If our free breakfast was better then we'd have to charge more and we are trying to avoid doing that. Glad you had a great time.

The hostel was in a great location and the owner is a great man. I stayed here two separate times after originally staying at a different Cartagena hostel. The service, location and facilities here are the best that Cartagena has to offer in terms of hostels! I highly recommend Mamallena!

And the third stay is coming up soon right???

Great location, in the best area of Getsemani. The walk to Ciudad Amurallada is maybe 10min. Very friendly and helpful staff, the room and the common area (patio) was very clean... prices for food and drinks were reasonable.

I like staying at mamalllena, but this last time they overcharged me. On the site, I got one price and when I paid they gave me another. There needs to be more transparency when it comes to pricing regardless of 'high seasons' and special occasions.

• 13th Mar 2015

I'm glad you like us, and sorry for some confusion in the price. I wish you had said something at the time, cause we have not changed our prices. The amount you booked at is what you should have paid. We're not in the business of stealing a dollar or two from you, its not worth the bad reviews :)

I was supposed to be staying only two nights in Cartagena. I stayed those two nights at Mamallena, and then three more, and then... Well let's just say it's been a few weeks and I don't have my mind set on leaving. I love the staff here at Mamallena especially my soul sisters Imera and Deeps. The guys at the bar are super fun too. All things in consideration (staff, sleeping arrangements, ambiance, food, bar, price) I couldn't have picked a better hostel!

• 10th Mar 2015

Hostel Mamallena is now my absolute favourite. Stayed here twice and will return. The guys that work here are second to none they are most friendly and their local knowledge is invaluable. The hostel is also a tour company so it's your one stop shop for accommodation and all the best things to do in and around Cartagena. Both times I stayed here I did the bus trip to Playa Blanca and this is a must do! Stay here, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks, it was a pleasure to have you here, and would be great if you can make it back again one day soon.

I stayed in a private room which was nice. The room was pretty basic but comfortable, spacious, had AC and a comfortable bed. The rooms and bathrooms are clean. there is an area in the middle of the hostel that you can chill and socialize with people. Locations is 5 minutes walk to the old town. Staff were helpful and nice. they play very good music all day in the common area. There is also a bar and restaurant.

we stayed in a double bed room with private bathroom. the waterbasin had a leak and water was dropping on your feet while washing your hands. and the toilet was dirty, when we arrived. the room itself was very airless and there are no windows in the room. room was small and dark. staff was very unfriendly and seemed to be bored.

Can I ask if you told us about the dripping washbasin? That could have been fixed. If the toilet was dirty when you arrived I am sure you told us about it right? Then again, you probably waited to get online to do so. All our rooms have windows, the one you are referring to has a small window above the door, and it does open. usually they are closed because the AC is turned on. Our staff often react back to the guests as the guests react to us.

Nice hostel... not enough common space.. perfect location

Glad you liked the place, but not enough common space? We have a courtyard that extends the entire length of the hostel, a balcony on the first floor, a TV room and a bar. Not sure how much more we could get!