Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

A convenient hostel in a great location in Getsimani. A nice, chilled atmosphere - good for meeting other travellers. Air conditioning in the room was a blessing!

The only negative thing that I can think of was in my room there were steam holes for the bathroom, but there was no net covering them so it made it easy for mosquitos to fly in. Suggest putting a net over them (it was room number 1). Otherwise, great location, clean, friendly staff and ideal environment for making friends. Would definitely recommend it.

Worst place I have ever stayed in. The floor was filthy and had hairs all over it. They have 6 wifi connections, but only 1 worked and you needed to use it at the entrance to the hostel. My major complaint is that outside my room there is a speaker mounted that blasts music randomly during the day and all night until 1am. I knew this was a party hostel but that was ridiculous. They should keep the music to the bar. I left after a day and a half, no refund was given for unused days.

Overall the hostel was ok I only stayed as it was the meeting point for San Blas Adventure pick up. The room was ok, ensure and had lockers. Bathroom clean enough but the door wasn't flush with the wall so there was a gap you could see through which isn't the best when you're put in a room with 6 men.

One of the most accommodating hostels I've stayed in! Arrived and was told that they had overbooked the dorm rooms, but had moved us to a private room with own bathroom and air con for the same price. Incredibly flexible with our uncertainty on additional nights- and allowing us to stay in private room if additional days were needed. Deep was SO helpful with recommendations for day trips, and restaurants! Was in Colombia for two weeks and this was by far the best hostel experiencned

I really liked this hostel, as a solo traveller I found that the lay out contributed to a very social atmosphere where it was easy to meet lots of people. It was a tad cliquey at times but that can't be helped, there just happened to be lots of groups. A/C in the dorms is another win as it gets v hot. Staff were helpful throughout. Sometimes it seemed that no one was guarding the doors and the dorms weren't locked but here were large lockers inside.

I stayed 2 nights and liked it. Good location to walk around, things like the fort and city walls are within 10 min walking. AC in the dorms 24/7 which is really nice. Staff for the most part are very helpful except one girl who was more interested in playing on her phone and talking to locals than answering questions. The British girl was the most helpful and friendliest, not to mention gorgeous :) I recommend this hostel as a good starting point for trips or sightseeing in Cartagena!

We loved our stay at mamanellas! The place clean and affordable, and the AC in the private room is exceptional. Breakfast is decent, laundry service could be better. Staff are super nice (especially Hannel) and the owner is awesome! The common areas don't get much breeze, making it difficult to hang there sometimes. Great experience overall!

We had a great stay here. The staff were very friendly and always ready to help. Air con was amazing. Great hang area for meeting other travelers. Free pancakes in morning was a great bonus. They offer a laundry service 15000. They'll also help arrange daytrips and onward travel. If you're wanting quiet early nights however this isn't the place, music always playing from about 9am-midnight. Thanks Mamallena's, we'll be back.

I had an amazing stay at hostel mamallena. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. They organized day trips that picked up right from the hostel. Atmosphere was great. No complaints at all, I would highly recommend this hostel if you're in Cartagena.

great hostel, chilled out and with a nice bar. had a misunderstanding with the staff one day and they actually went out of their way to make up for it. super friendly!

Aircon was great in the dorm and definitely welcome in cartagena. I felt the staff were a little mixed. Sometimes a bit grumpy. It is a good place to meet people.

Only thing I knocked it down for was the wifi which can very slow and tempremental. Other than that, i was there for 4 nights. 2 of which I was staying in and cant say I found it overly impossible to sleep when I was. Aircon in the room was a godsend. Good bar and outside common area. Free pancakes and nice food options in the evening. Great atmosphere with people if you are heading out. All in all a great few days and I would definitely go back if in Cartagena.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. I have to get defensive about the internet though :) We pay for the fastest speed we can, and have a number of different routers to spread the number of users, Unfortunately the service from the provider isnt always great, and it often depends on how many people are trying to use it at once. That said, I have just added two more 9 meg internet lines and routers to try and stop any problems with speed and access. We're more than happy to see you back here again

Free pancakes! Very good location

How can people not love free pancakes, they're great!

Nice place, close to major attractions and right next to one of the best bar in the city... It can be a little loud at night but Cartagena is not for sleep

Undeniably a party hostel. Bar playing loud and awful music until 3-4 am most nights. Decent WiFi in most areas but struggled to reach the dorms upstairs. One lady staff member with short hair very very helpful but the rest were awful. If you're a group of guys looking for a place to drink cheap and go out then this might suit, for everyone else you may be more comfy somewhere else.

Sorry you felt that way, but I'm not sure how you can think that only one of our 10 staff was any good, including myself! I'm usually nicer than that. We dont play music until 4am at all. There are other bars that are open until then, but ours isnt one of them. I try to make them play better mucis but they dont always listen.

Our fav hostel so far in Colombia! We stayed in private room here having come from a dorm room in El Viajero and it was perfect with our own bathroom. The hostel has a great atmosphere that El Viajero cannot provide due to its size. The location is perfect with Trinidad Plaza just around the corner. The only negative was our room was beside the bar / reception and was a little noisy, however we didn't mind. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend this hostel!

Glad you enjoyed it, and I didnt even have to twist your arm for a good review :) Feel free to come back anytime.

Good hostel for booking tours around the area. Air conditioning in room was brilliant, and they had good Mojitos in the downstairs bar.

The hostel in in front of a BIG party hostel and a crowded street, so if you have the rooms upstairs it will be just impossible to sleep at night. Music loud until 4.am, but the room is big, the A/C is amazing, its very clean all, the beds, the room, the common area. The staff are not so friendly and the Pancake as breakfast is just impossible to eat.

If you wish to be in a smoke free/drug free environment this place isn't for you. I had a good stay but for some reason I wasn't comfortable bc of the guest who disobeyed the rules aside from that you decide on your own if you wish to visit. Breakfast was free but its just pancake u either enjoy it or go over to Locombia to dine or wherever else. Staff I thought were great- the social area is pretty chill. I enjoyed my stay!

• 25th Jun 2015

And in Colombia that place would be? Unfortunately many backpackers come to Colombia for that exact reason and its hard to police. We try to have a relaxed atmosphere, which is why you enjoyed it I hope! We don't allow drugs but what happens in the privacy of peoples rooms is very hard to stop. Smoking happens in the common open areas. As I said, we don't allow drugs, especially in the common areas, but we're also not the police and peoples mothers to be telling them what to do.