Hostel Mamallena

Fabulous 484 Total Reviews
Fabulous 484 Total Reviews

• England, Female, 18-24
9th Mar 2017

Nice hostel and very good for socialising, enjoyed my stay

6th Mar 2017

The hostel manager was so rude! We had a lovely experience with all of the rest of the staff. The facilities and location were superb, the hostel was gorgeous, and the included breakfast was a nice touch. This hostel even gives you easy access to a park down the road chock-full of three-toed sloths! However, the unpleasant, offensive, and aggressive hostel owner blemished an otherwise great stay. He seems to be more interested in peddling overpriced hostel transportation. Major turn-off!

Well, I do have to say that I am glad that you enjoyed the hostel, we all work hard to achieve that, including myself. I have no idea why I came across like that, and I dont remember the incident, I thought I had been behaving myself! Its possible though, I wont deny it! Maybe I had a bad day, no idea what else was going on, and often my reactions to people are a reflection of their attitudes to me. Eitherway, I am glad I didnt ruin your stay too much, and the rest of the staff do seriously say thanks.

27th Feb 2017
8.0

Nice place to stay, I stayed on a shared room with 4 other people, bunks were clean and comfortable, breakfast was too expensive for what they give, cereals, milk and eggs for 8,000, better just walk outside and get a real breakfast for 4,000. We went on the party bus to the Andres Carne de Rez, the location is amazing but the party bus with unlimited drink, had limited drinks, cheap Ron and aguardiente to mix with nothing else than Coca Cola, so in other words 70,000 was to expensive.

Well, I do have to say that a party bus from Cartagena to Andres de Rez in BOGOTA for only 70 000 pesos is a great deal!!! A long trip, but a bargain :) I have a feeling that you stayed at the Cranky Croc in Bogota, its a great hostel and the one we usually send people to.

26th Feb 2017

Good location, fun bar, great staff, strong wifi.. walk to all the bars and such. No free breakfast but for $4,000 pesos, you can get delish pancakes made in the kitchen :)

24th Feb 2017
7.4

Hostel close to the walled historic centre and close to the nightlife of Cartagena. A good hostel to stay in if you plan on experiencing Cartagenas nightlife. If you are looking for a good night sleep I would look for a different hostel! There are two bars in the same building with loud music pumping until the early morning. Also the private rooms are directly off the central courtyard where people socialise until late.

Yeah, its true, but we are also more than clear about that on our website, and in other answers to comments on here. I think it does depend on the person though. There are the bars but we arent a party hostel as in that we go out of our way to be getting people to party. Sitting, talking and having a few drinks isnt a party in my mind, but its a fun time for most of our guests. We are often full and most guests actually dont seem to mind, but obviously its not for everyone.

• England, Male, 31-40
20th Feb 2017

I read some bad reviews on here before staying, and I was pleasantly surprised with my stay. It was clean and a good place to meet people, staff were nice. Some people need to chill out when writing bad reviews it's a hostel in Colombia what are you expecting

Thank you!!!! Take it as it is, we arent trying to be the most wow amazing hostel ever, but a decent place where you will enjoy yourself. Thats what most people seem to do here, unfortunately they dont all leave reviews :)

13th Feb 2017

I loved staying at Mamallena when I was visiting Cartagena. They have some great tours through the hostel, the staff is fantastic, and they offer free pancakes for breakfast, what more can a traveler ask for? The location is great - there are some great little bars on the street, and it is a short walk from the Old Town. My only dislike is that anyone can walk into the hostel, and into the dorm rooms, without a key. They do have a locker available, so bring a lock! But still 5*****!

• mmouldy9555
  • Australia, Female, 31-40
13th Feb 2017

Great hostel. Awesome social atmosphere and good place to meet other travellers. Staff are amazing, so friendly, helpful and speak english. Super easy to arrange buses and tours through the hostel. Would definitely recommend.

Much appreciated! Goes to show we can at least please some people :) If you come wanting to have a good time and are easy going then we're pretty sure you will fit in well here

10th Feb 2017
6.9

We had a private room there, it was not a really bedroom. The kitchen was a bit lacking and pretty small with the laundry inside. Overall cleanness what's that good I found. The house is rather old, maybe it's hard to keep it shining. People gather in the patio and go out at night which is nice. The staff is helpful but not very keen. major point: the wifi is TERRIBLE

Not a real bedroom? Ok........ Yes the kitchen is small and their is a cloths dryer inside, but theres plenty of room to cook, theres a fridge and stove and plenty of items to cook with. You are right about it being an old house, and its what we have to work with. With the proliferation of boutique, brand new hostels, that sets peoples expectations at a different level it seems, and then they come to a real hostel like us! Staff cant be keen all the time, we are quite busy and they do work hard, and as you said they are helpful. The wifi, we pay for it, the company provides it! It is spotty at times, and we did have some problems last week. It seems they come once a month to fix it, but thats a supply problem and remember, we are in a third world country.

• England, Couple, 25-30
9th Feb 2017
5.1

Overpriced for what it was, WiFi basically non existent and it was full of the drugs tourism crowd, which isn't really my scene.

Full of drugs is a pretty big call. That basically means everyone was doing it and thats not true at all. We dont allow drugs in the hostel and apart from the odd person smoking, I have never seen people openly doing drugs. As soon as we know someone is smoking then we ask them to stop. Unfortunately drugs are more a problem of Colombian society and peoples use of them than the hostel. The WiFi can be spotty, but we pay for a service and being a third world country we sometimes dont receive what we should. We work with what we have, and if its not working we can usually reset it and it does, if you tell us.