Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

I arrived on a day when the water was mostly out. My dire need for a good shower skewed my opinion of the facilities/atmosphere. Other than that, the pancakes were good, the AC was cold at night, and the proximity to the old city and bars was great.

I took a long time trying to find the perfect place to stay in Cartagena and apparently it was worth my time :) Mamalena is great, the staff is very friendly and helpfull. The rooms are cool, nice beds and lockers. The toilets were clean and good for a quick shower. The common area is great, met nice people there. What made the difference is that they book all the tours you want, also shuttle buses to almost anywhere. They made my journey through the Caribean sea so much easier :) thanks guys!

• 17th Aug 2014

Thanks for that, I'm glad that we could help you to enjoy all of your trip. Be sure to come back next time you're up this way.

Fantastic staff! A smile on their faces make a world of difference to make us feel welcome.

• 16th Aug 2014

Very disapointed with this hostel... they canceled our reservation without even try to call us, when we arrived we found a used condom in our bathroom, and globally the bedroom was really filthy (nothing compare to the pictures). Besides, it's really noisy, and way beyond midnight as it's indicate, and the staff was really not nice, Maybe it can be a good place if you just want to meet new people, and if you dont care about the commodity aspect. Otherwise, run!

Its strange how you get to say what you want on the internet, but you never came to us while you were here about any of these problems. Your reservation wasn't here because you booked to arrive 2am on one day, and then expected the night before the day you booked for. That happens when making late night bookings, but we found you a new place to stay for the night and gave you free drinks even though it wasn't our fault. The staff that helped you with all this say thanks very much!

I had a fantastic stay at Hostel Mamallena. The staff was friendly and helpful, the AC at night was clutch, the ensuite bathroom to the dorm was clean (although I was woken up by them cleaning it twice), the atmosphere in the courtyard was great, and the location is fantastic, right in the middle of the other hostels and bars and walkable to the old town. They'll also help you book other excursions from Cartegena. Just watch out for the parrot, she bites.

Congratulations Stuart ! Amazing hostel :) Special thanks to the receptionist who Works in the morning shift, she helped me a lot :)

Mamallena had a very good vibe. All of the staff was friendly and I loved that we were able to book and coordinate different trips right at the hostel. I loved the open common area where we could meet other travelers. The restaurant and happy hour at the bar; I loved the mojitos! Overall, a agreta experience. Thank you! Air conditioning was definitely a plus!

• 29th Jul 2014

Great hostel, really helpful staff, they can help you get to your next destination and book it all! Great location, only a few minutes from the old town, supermarkets etc. Very clean, has a basic kitchen and the food at the restaurant is a little pricey but really good. The only downside is the aircon is only on from 9-9. So if your planning to stay in your room hungover all day-don't even think about it.

Great location in the old city. The pancake breakfast was pretty good too!

Great location, just outside the old town with lots of little restaurants and bars to choose from nearby. Very social hostel and lots of fun, but not the best if you want to go to bed early, all rooms overlook the courtyard, which they shut down at midnight I think, which is reasonable. They offer lots of info and bookings for Playa Blanca, Santa Marta, Panama San Blas Islands, and more. Very convinient for lazy people.

Great location. Basic room but all ok. Definitely recommend.

Great hostel! Staff super friendly and helpful! Air conditioning is a god send in Cartagena. Love the hostel animals as well!

And they all loved you right back :) Staff included!!

Nice hostel in a good location - Getsemani. Private room had air con and a pancake breakfast. A little noisy at night as the rooms surround the central courtyard. Helpful and friendly staff, and a direct shuttle organised for Playa Blanca and transfers to Santa Marta/Parque Tayrona. All in all - a good hostel.

This was an okay experience. My one complaint is their reluctance to give you towels when it clearly states they are included. Maybe specify which rooms include towels so people can plan ahead. Pancake breakfast was good as well. Staff was ok..not the best not the worst. I didn't find them overly helpful or welcoming. The atmosphere was alright..not a huge party vibe but if you want that go to media luna. A/c is a must so make sure your dorm has that or good luck trying to sleep!

Yeah sorry about that, but to be fair you did come asking questions at a time when we had a problem outside and the police were involved so we weren't particularly helpful at that particular time. All our dorms have AC so theres no problem with being too hot to sleep at night. All our privates booked online have 24 hour AC.

In a great location for night life and a short walk to the walled city. The rooms are all off the outside sitting area so it is loud but they kick everyone out at 1230 anyway so its fine, you should be out partying anyway! Private rooms you have air con whenever you want and dorm rooms I think they switch it on at 9.

Would defiantly come back here and defs recommend it. The staff r so damn helpful, warm friendly people, great atmosphere and vibe for meeting people. Only downfall is AC is only between 9pm-9am n Cartagena can get stinking hot, so this can be tough, but otherwise perfect, wifi great too. U got the party hostel across the road too, easy access n then u come back n sleep, also apparently staff at the media luna are terrible. Stay here

Decent hostel in a good area. Close to bars, old city, supermarket, etc. kitchen is stifling hot but decently equipped. Lots of Info about boats to Panama and tours. Staff seem a little too eager to change sheets in between guests though, as they were coming in to the rooms very early. One of the cats also really likes to come into room 11 for some reason. Woke up in the middle of the night to the cat on my bed. Rooms near the front would be quite loud, ask for one at the back.

The hostel animals are a hoot, especially the parrot, who wanders around the hostel greeting everyone with "hello!" and "hola!" It even yelled out "burrito!" once. Real smart one. The one thing I will say is if you want your sleep, you won't get much here because it's next to a bar playing music until 3 am (once, 3:30 am). Also, the toilet in the dorm is next to people's beds.

Friendly hostel, well located just outside the beautiful old town. It may not advertise itself as a party hostel, but if you want to sleep before 1-2pm definitely bring earplugs. Also you need to ask for your room to be cleaned and for the air con to be turned on. That said it was friendly, staff were helpful and breakfast good (pancakes and fresh coffee)