Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

I had an amazing stay at hostel mamallena. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. They organized day trips that picked up right from the hostel. Atmosphere was great. No complaints at all, I would highly recommend this hostel if you're in Cartagena.

Aircon was great in the dorm and definitely welcome in cartagena. I felt the staff were a little mixed. Sometimes a bit grumpy. It is a good place to meet people.

Only thing I knocked it down for was the wifi which can very slow and tempremental. Other than that, i was there for 4 nights. 2 of which I was staying in and cant say I found it overly impossible to sleep when I was. Aircon in the room was a godsend. Good bar and outside common area. Free pancakes and nice food options in the evening. Great atmosphere with people if you are heading out. All in all a great few days and I would definitely go back if in Cartagena.

Cheers mate, much appreciated. I have to get defensive about the internet though :) We pay for the fastest speed we can, and have a number of different routers to spread the number of users, Unfortunately the service from the provider isnt always great, and it often depends on how many people are trying to use it at once. That said, I have just added two more 9 meg internet lines and routers to try and stop any problems with speed and access. We're more than happy to see you back here again

Free pancakes! Very good location

How can people not love free pancakes, they're great!

Nice place, close to major attractions and right next to one of the best bar in the city... It can be a little loud at night but Cartagena is not for sleep

Undeniably a party hostel. Bar playing loud and awful music until 3-4 am most nights. Decent WiFi in most areas but struggled to reach the dorms upstairs. One lady staff member with short hair very very helpful but the rest were awful. If you're a group of guys looking for a place to drink cheap and go out then this might suit, for everyone else you may be more comfy somewhere else.

Sorry you felt that way, but I'm not sure how you can think that only one of our 10 staff was any good, including myself! I'm usually nicer than that. We dont play music until 4am at all. There are other bars that are open until then, but ours isnt one of them. I try to make them play better mucis but they dont always listen.

Our fav hostel so far in Colombia! We stayed in private room here having come from a dorm room in El Viajero and it was perfect with our own bathroom. The hostel has a great atmosphere that El Viajero cannot provide due to its size. The location is perfect with Trinidad Plaza just around the corner. The only negative was our room was beside the bar / reception and was a little noisy, however we didn't mind. The staff were friendly and accommodating. Would highly recommend this hostel!

Glad you enjoyed it, and I didnt even have to twist your arm for a good review :) Feel free to come back anytime.

Good hostel for booking tours around the area. Air conditioning in room was brilliant, and they had good Mojitos in the downstairs bar.

The hostel in in front of a BIG party hostel and a crowded street, so if you have the rooms upstairs it will be just impossible to sleep at night. Music loud until 4.am, but the room is big, the A/C is amazing, its very clean all, the beds, the room, the common area. The staff are not so friendly and the Pancake as breakfast is just impossible to eat.

If you wish to be in a smoke free/drug free environment this place isn't for you. I had a good stay but for some reason I wasn't comfortable bc of the guest who disobeyed the rules aside from that you decide on your own if you wish to visit. Breakfast was free but its just pancake u either enjoy it or go over to Locombia to dine or wherever else. Staff I thought were great- the social area is pretty chill. I enjoyed my stay!

• 25th Jun 2015

And in Colombia that place would be? Unfortunately many backpackers come to Colombia for that exact reason and its hard to police. We try to have a relaxed atmosphere, which is why you enjoyed it I hope! We don't allow drugs but what happens in the privacy of peoples rooms is very hard to stop. Smoking happens in the common open areas. As I said, we don't allow drugs, especially in the common areas, but we're also not the police and peoples mothers to be telling them what to do.

This hostel had a few positives and a few negatives. The location and the staff are very good. You're able to book tours really easily through the hostel. The air con in dorms is very good. The bar downstairs does good and cheap food. The thing that let the hostel down was the cleanliness of the bathrooms and especially the kitchen. Also, be aware that like in many hostels, the bar plays loud music until late, so don't expect much sleep!

It seems the positives just outweighed the negatives, just :) We do try our best with the cleanliness but you have to remember that its also the responsibility of the guests to help maintain the kitchen. We do clean it daily and its obviously messy just after people have used it, without cleaning up. The bathrooms I think are pretty good, along with the rest of the hostel. most people are happy, but I guess its not perfect every day, unfortunately.

Good stay. Nice spacious room. Staff very helpfull and accommodating. Good pizza's too. Recommend

• 23rd Jun 2015
  • New Zealand

The location is really good and the bar staff is excellent!they are really helpful and friendly. Unfortunatly the shared bathroom was always dirty. It get as well very loud because all the rooms are located to the courtyard, bring earplugs!! :-)

Air con is a plus in this weather. One member of staff wasn't very helpful but another was very. Was quite pricey in my opinion for what it was but perhaps that's the price you pay for air con. Expect to wait a while for your pancakes in the morning

Great staff!! Especially Deeps from book exchange was amazing - I told her how I came about giving my book to a fellow travler and that afterwards I realized now I dont have anything to keep me busy on long bus journeys. DEEPS was super sweet and gave me her book so my journeys wont seem so long!! 10/10 for guest satisfactory. Thos is what hospitality is ;)

The staff were very laid back, helpful and friendly. The facilities were clean and conducive to having a good time. The pancakes for breakfast were an added bonus! My one cautionary point would be that the common area is basically right outside many of the rooms, which can make it noisy at night. However, this can be a non-issue with planning (i.e. bring earplugs) or by going out.

Good social hostel. Clean. Decent staff. Not party, but perfect warm up.

Excellent experience in Mamallena! Great open space in the middle perfect for meeting people as well as a bar in the hostel. Breakfast is good (pancakes made fresh for you when you ask) and included. The staff is very friendly and bilingual in Spanish and English (maybe others, who knows). Internet is good and works in some of the rooms. The only thing is that the showers are cold, but really this is not a problem because its so freaking hot in Cartagena that its actually refreshing.

• 26th May 2015

Nice hostel in a superb location. It's about a 7 minute walk from the walled city, which is perfect - you avoid some of the more egregious gringo-pricing, but the walls are still a short walk away. The people here were nice, and the staff was helpful. They have relationships with tour companies, which is very convenient, although I sometimes had to check to see if we were getting a good deal. And most importantly, A/C! Glorious A/C! After a few sweaty nights in Santa Marta, this was a godsend.

We have stayed here on and off while using Cartagena as a hub for the surrounding area for two months, and couldn't be happier with it. The hostel has a great location, you get pancakes and coffee each morning, and it has a chill hangout area. The staff here is really nice, helps you with everything you need, and the owner really cares about the hostel and it's guests, always greets everybody and makes you feel taken care of. Stay here! PS: Check out Mamallena hostel in Rincon Del Mar too!