Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

Nice hostel! Good staff, neer from the party and the city, Stuart its very kind, the only bad thing it's no AC in the room

It's coming! It's coming! Honest, we'll have AC soon! You'll have to come back to experience it :)

The hostal is very well located and the staff is friendly and really helpfull. The kitchen is very well equiped, and the hostal is pretty. But, it was so loud that it was impossible to sleep before 3am. On a Tuesday, people from the hostal were singing literally in front of our window past midnight.

I am sorry about that, the night shift guy is normally pretty strict about people making noise after 12pm. We actually often have people complaining because he won't let them stay outside. I will speak to him again though and make sure he is stricter still. I also always suggest to people that if theres too much noise then they ask the people to be quiet and if that doesn't work then complain to the staff. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the stay.

An okay place for a good price. It's a hostel, with pros and cons that it may bring. You will pay way cheaper than in a hotel and will have a cool atmosphere. On the other hand, you will have to deal with the unbearable weather without an air conditioned (it seems to be over 30 Celsius 24 hours/day, literally!). I do know that it is expected when you look for an economic alternative, but it MUST be taken into account when it comes to be in Cartagena. It's really hard to sleep.

Stuart, the owner, is trying to do his best to improve the hostel. The Air conditioned, missing by that infamous hot and humid weather, is now being installed. Wifi doesn't work so good and IS very slow ! Otherwise, it's a good place to meet travelers, mostly backpackers, and a few couples. The plus is definitely the courtyard where people meet and socialize. There are also quite a few pets, free to run and interact with visitors (perrot, dog, cats, rabbit... donkey next ?)

I want a monkey!! But they won't let me get one :( It's probably a good job though. I'm glad you enjoyed the place and sorry for the problems. The WiFi is the best we can get and we pay for the fastest we can have. It can be a problem in Cartagena though.

The location is nice and the atmosphere is fun, but it's more of a party hostel than expected and got quite noisy at times. Other than a dorm with AC it seemed like no rooms had air conditioning and it was quite miserable at night with only 2 fans. Plus the place was dirty and full of bugs since all windows had to be open for some minimal air flow. It was ok, but not worth the money.

• 14th Jun 2013

I am glad that you did enjoy some parts of the hostel, but I do find it strange that you have booked a hostel without AC and then complain about it. We say when you book that there is no AC. If the room was so dirty why did you say nothing in your three days here? Its a bit unfair not to let us know there is a problem until AFTER you leave, and then online! We do also have people who sit in our patio area talking at night time, but thats very different to a party hostel. They have fun!

Mamallena was the first hostel we stayed at in Cartagena. Perfectly located. Convenient walk to the plaza and boats if you decide to go to one of the local beaches. Staff was extremely helpful. The owner of the hostel is great. Definitely engages with his guests and gives helpful tips on what to visit and avoid. The rooms are decent. We stayed in a private room an it was nicely sized with a small but nice bathroom. Would definitely stay here again!

Pretty good place. Burgers very good! Only worry was we staying 5 nights and our room wasn't cleaned once, not that it was too bad, but would of appreciated the bins at least emptied. Also private rooms don't have aircon, only some dorms.

We are working on having AC and we should have some rooms operating soon. That said, we don't advertise that we have AC. Our privates are usually cleaned on demand, you only have to ask and we will fully clean the rooms. Until then we don't like to invade your privacy without your permission. The burgers are good for sure!

Great place to stay, rooms are cheap in comparison tp the area, staff super friendly and helpful. the aussie owner is a good laugh too he is quite the dr doo little. The pets, especially the parrot and the rabbit who snuggle up to eachother are a funny additiin. location is superb opp media luna. you cant really hear any street noise so easy to sleep, but is right on the main street if u wanna stay out and party. Onsite kitchen always a good thing too. would defo stay here again.

Pretty nice place, great location amongst the fun of Calle de Media Luna, and comes complete with a dog, cat, rabbit and parrot (so plenty to cuddle with when missing pets back home).

Good Hostel, close to the old city. It's a bit noisy if you want to have an early night but the rest is all good. Nice cheap restaurants with good food around the corner.

We do try to keep the noise down by asking people to be quiet after 12pm, but not every one is as considerate as we would like them to be. That said, they are your fellow travellers :)

I’ve stayed at Mamallena twice now—the first time because of it being fairly inexpensive and in a fun neighborhood (Gestemaní), and the second time because of the awesome people who work there! The girls at the front desk are super helpful—I got an awesome recommendation for a place to take my family out to eat (La Tinaja). I’ll definitely be back in there to say hi to Tamar, Karina, Diego, and the rest of the Mamallena crew if I make it back to Cartagena!

• 25th Mar 2013

I had a private room with a private bathroom. Way to noisy at night, music til 3.30 in the morning. Fan is not sufficient in Cartagena, AC should be mandatory. Location ok. Liked the bar. Overall what you expect from a hostel, does it's job.

I have to ask, why did you book a room with no AC and then complain that it didn´t have AC? It just doesn´t make sense! I get that you´re trying to save money by not paying for AC, but thats not our fault. We also don´t play music until 3.30am, the latest we have is soft music until maybe 11.30pm or so. You were here on a Wednesday when the hostel across the road has a party and the music affects the entire suburb!

Thanks for a great stay. Stu the owner was super helpful. Amazing advice much appreciated. Frustratingly one of the other staff forgot to make our bus booking and mucked up our hostel booking in taganga which set an annoying set of events in chain. All in all would strongly recommend Mamallena but like all sth American dealings triple check your bookings!!

I´m glad you enjoyed the stay but I am sorry about the messed up booking. Its obviously not what we aim for, but sometimes when I have to rely on the staff it doesn´t always work out. That said, it is a rare occurance, thankfully!

Decent hostel, does the job. Party oriented location, so it's not exactly pin drop quiet at night. Facilities were nice and the double room had 2 fans, so it was nice and cool!

Great place on a super hip street. Cleanliness and all were pretty average to good. I definitely enjoyed the stay here.

An ok hostel, nothing special, good value for the monye and the location is great

We´re not trying to be anything special, we try to provide a good, fun place that is good value for the money. Special hopstels have a habit of charging a lot more, and if thats what you´re after you´ll be able tos ee it online. Glad you enjoyed the stay.

The Hostel was very well located so close to the center of town with a minmarket next store and lots of food places nearby !!! It was big and very colorful each dorm had their own bathroom which was very nice !! It is more of a social hostel always lots of people there who are looking to have a good time down to party and drink !!!

• 11th Mar 2013

Yep, we try and keep people happy and give them good areas to have fun. That said we don´t make parties but we provide the place for people to make their opwn fun and it seems to work.

The staff were really good and helpful arranging a boat to Panama. The hostel is nice and has a good communal area in the back. The location is very central but is on a noisy street and there is a lot noise from the bars which can make it hard to sleep, so not ideal if you want an early night. Other than that it is a good place to stay.

The very high heat and humidity, even with the two fans going, together with the nightly noise from the bar area made sleeping at Mamallena quite challenging. The location of the dryer in the kitchen made it almost unbearable to spend any time there. The fridge, most likely because of the intense heat in the kitchen did not keep the foods sufficiently cool.

I always find it funny when people book a room online that clearly says WITHOUT AC and then blame us for it being hot! I also did mention to you that it might be a bit noisy on party nights and as an older couple you might not like it. The kitchen, yep it´s hot as well, but you don´t have to spend time there if you don´t want to. I am at least glad that you enjoy your time here enough to stay for 4 nights.

Great place and exactly as advertised. Stayed in the double ensuite room. Although there is no AC in this room the fan was pretty good. Shower is very basic but clean. Best hostel art i've ever seen! Stuart and staff were very friendly and helpful. It's in the heart of the bar area for young travelers and a short/safe walk to old town. Don't miss Wed night at the hostel across the street for the best rooftop dance party.