Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

Great place to stay, rooms are cheap in comparison tp the area, staff super friendly and helpful. the aussie owner is a good laugh too he is quite the dr doo little. The pets, especially the parrot and the rabbit who snuggle up to eachother are a funny additiin. location is superb opp media luna. you cant really hear any street noise so easy to sleep, but is right on the main street if u wanna stay out and party. Onsite kitchen always a good thing too. would defo stay here again.

Pretty nice place, great location amongst the fun of Calle de Media Luna, and comes complete with a dog, cat, rabbit and parrot (so plenty to cuddle with when missing pets back home).

Good Hostel, close to the old city. It's a bit noisy if you want to have an early night but the rest is all good. Nice cheap restaurants with good food around the corner.

We do try to keep the noise down by asking people to be quiet after 12pm, but not every one is as considerate as we would like them to be. That said, they are your fellow travellers :)

I’ve stayed at Mamallena twice now—the first time because of it being fairly inexpensive and in a fun neighborhood (Gestemaní), and the second time because of the awesome people who work there! The girls at the front desk are super helpful—I got an awesome recommendation for a place to take my family out to eat (La Tinaja). I’ll definitely be back in there to say hi to Tamar, Karina, Diego, and the rest of the Mamallena crew if I make it back to Cartagena!

• 25th Mar 2013

I had a private room with a private bathroom. Way to noisy at night, music til 3.30 in the morning. Fan is not sufficient in Cartagena, AC should be mandatory. Location ok. Liked the bar. Overall what you expect from a hostel, does it's job.

I have to ask, why did you book a room with no AC and then complain that it didn´t have AC? It just doesn´t make sense! I get that you´re trying to save money by not paying for AC, but thats not our fault. We also don´t play music until 3.30am, the latest we have is soft music until maybe 11.30pm or so. You were here on a Wednesday when the hostel across the road has a party and the music affects the entire suburb!

Thanks for a great stay. Stu the owner was super helpful. Amazing advice much appreciated. Frustratingly one of the other staff forgot to make our bus booking and mucked up our hostel booking in taganga which set an annoying set of events in chain. All in all would strongly recommend Mamallena but like all sth American dealings triple check your bookings!!

I´m glad you enjoyed the stay but I am sorry about the messed up booking. Its obviously not what we aim for, but sometimes when I have to rely on the staff it doesn´t always work out. That said, it is a rare occurance, thankfully!

Decent hostel, does the job. Party oriented location, so it's not exactly pin drop quiet at night. Facilities were nice and the double room had 2 fans, so it was nice and cool!

Great place on a super hip street. Cleanliness and all were pretty average to good. I definitely enjoyed the stay here.

An ok hostel, nothing special, good value for the monye and the location is great

We´re not trying to be anything special, we try to provide a good, fun place that is good value for the money. Special hopstels have a habit of charging a lot more, and if thats what you´re after you´ll be able tos ee it online. Glad you enjoyed the stay.

The Hostel was very well located so close to the center of town with a minmarket next store and lots of food places nearby !!! It was big and very colorful each dorm had their own bathroom which was very nice !! It is more of a social hostel always lots of people there who are looking to have a good time down to party and drink !!!

• 11th Mar 2013

Yep, we try and keep people happy and give them good areas to have fun. That said we don´t make parties but we provide the place for people to make their opwn fun and it seems to work.

The staff were really good and helpful arranging a boat to Panama. The hostel is nice and has a good communal area in the back. The location is very central but is on a noisy street and there is a lot noise from the bars which can make it hard to sleep, so not ideal if you want an early night. Other than that it is a good place to stay.

The very high heat and humidity, even with the two fans going, together with the nightly noise from the bar area made sleeping at Mamallena quite challenging. The location of the dryer in the kitchen made it almost unbearable to spend any time there. The fridge, most likely because of the intense heat in the kitchen did not keep the foods sufficiently cool.

I always find it funny when people book a room online that clearly says WITHOUT AC and then blame us for it being hot! I also did mention to you that it might be a bit noisy on party nights and as an older couple you might not like it. The kitchen, yep it´s hot as well, but you don´t have to spend time there if you don´t want to. I am at least glad that you enjoy your time here enough to stay for 4 nights.

Great place and exactly as advertised. Stayed in the double ensuite room. Although there is no AC in this room the fan was pretty good. Shower is very basic but clean. Best hostel art i've ever seen! Stuart and staff were very friendly and helpful. It's in the heart of the bar area for young travelers and a short/safe walk to old town. Don't miss Wed night at the hostel across the street for the best rooftop dance party.

Since we were staying here during a water outage in the city, I'm assuming the hostel would have been a little more fresh normally. The staff were pretty helpful - they gave away one of our beds the first night which caused some confusion. Fortunately we had the printed confirmation and they gave us a private room for the night. The dorm room turned out to be cooler. It was a little louder than I was expecting, but it did seem like a fun place.

We enjoyed our stay and think that the owner, Stewart, is a great guy.

Thanks for that, and you must have caught me on a good day :)

Good hostel in great location. Media Luna is the street where you want to stay in Cartagena. Owner was nice but not always overly friendly. I felt he made some cynical remarks at times and I don't think I asked anything stupid. Laundry is pricy, so either save it for your next destination or share a load. Pancakes for breakfast are a nice change from the toast you get everywhere else.

No atmosphere at all. The staff doesn't care! The top bed I was sleeping in, thought would fell apart everytime I climb it...

• 6th Feb 2013

Hostel Mamallena has been one of our faves in South America! Stuart was great, helped us have a great time in Cartagena. The hostel has a cool laid back feel, all the facilities you need, plus good value tasty food at the cafe. Would definitely stay here again :)

Great atmosphere. The hostel has a restaurant, great food, reasonable price. The hostel is very clean, a nice outdoor area to relax in. Great location. Staff is great, very friendly, speak english, very knowledgeable about the area/tours/activities.

Thank you very much, you´re welcome back anytime you like :)

The staff was very helpful and we had no issues getting what we needed in terms of information for adventures, or towels each day. We were 2 women traveling so safety was of paramount importance. Nobody had a key to our room except us so we felt comfortable leaving our passports/camera gear in the room while we ventured off in the city. The location is great as it is located on a street full of hostels. There is much opportunity to socialize and make new friends. I'll def be back there!

• 25th Jan 2013

And we will be here waiting for you. We´re glad you enjoyed your time here.