Hostel Mamallena Reviews

10-47 Calle Media Luna, Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

Would defiantly come back here and defs recommend it. The staff r so damn helpful, warm friendly people, great atmosphere and vibe for meeting people. Only downfall is AC is only between 9pm-9am n Cartagena can get stinking hot, so this can be tough, but otherwise perfect, wifi great too. U got the party hostel across the road too, easy access n then u come back n sleep, also apparently staff at the media luna are terrible. Stay here

Decent hostel in a good area. Close to bars, old city, supermarket, etc. kitchen is stifling hot but decently equipped. Lots of Info about boats to Panama and tours. Staff seem a little too eager to change sheets in between guests though, as they were coming in to the rooms very early. One of the cats also really likes to come into room 11 for some reason. Woke up in the middle of the night to the cat on my bed. Rooms near the front would be quite loud, ask for one at the back.

The hostel animals are a hoot, especially the parrot, who wanders around the hostel greeting everyone with "hello!" and "hola!" It even yelled out "burrito!" once. Real smart one. The one thing I will say is if you want your sleep, you won't get much here because it's next to a bar playing music until 3 am (once, 3:30 am). Also, the toilet in the dorm is next to people's beds.

Friendly hostel, well located just outside the beautiful old town. It may not advertise itself as a party hostel, but if you want to sleep before 1-2pm definitely bring earplugs. Also you need to ask for your room to be cleaned and for the air con to be turned on. That said it was friendly, staff were helpful and breakfast good (pancakes and fresh coffee)

Great hostel, pancake breakfast was mint. Rooms comfortable with air con and comfortable beds. Owner is a bit odd but still a nice guy... stair case up to the dorms is a wee death trap... should get some attention as a bit unsafe with those walking up and down with large packs. Good place would most def stay here again

A bit odd? You must have caught me on a good day! Glad you enjoyed the place, but based on the score i wouldn't like to see the place you hated.........

A great hostel but travellers should know that it is smack bang in the centre of the party district, and loud dance music does not stop until very late, usually during my 3 day stay around 5 or 6am. So not recommended to those who wish to catch up on sleep.

Nice spot. Helpful staff and handy location. Air con was awesome since Cartagena is as hot as the sun. The rooms do get some street noise as well as the bar out the front doesn't help but the air com drowns it all out. If you can't get this place, book the place across the road as it looked good.

Our room was upgrated to a room with air conditioner, so we slept very well, thank you! :D The rooms are clean and the shower is very good but with not many water. When you leave your room you stand directly near to the tables where the people sit and drink in the night. The staff is very helpful and you can easily book trips to playa blanca or others directly in the hostel.

Thanks guys, for the nice comments. I wish we could move the tables but unfortunately its not going to happen! We're stuck with the layout we have, at least it makes it very friendly!

This is a sociable hostel in a great location. The owner Stuart is incredibly helpful and has a wealth of local knowledge. Would recommend anyone to stay here. Elliot

• 22nd Sep 2013
  • Scotland

Don't tell everyone, people will start to think I am nice and that could hurt my reputation :)

We stayed in an ensuite double. They didn't clean the bathroom once and we stayed for 4 nights which made it pretty disgusting especially when you can't throw toilet paper down the loo. I also saw mice in the kitchen. Atmosphere was good . Location brilliant. Music is played until 2am so just make sure you are ok with this

• 21st Sep 2013

Its a shame you felt that way, and that you didn't mention any of this on the few times that we actually spoke. Its actually our policy for our staff not to enter your room unless requested. I must have forgotten to tell you that when you checked in and I do apologise for that. Please, next time just ask for someone to clean you room.

The hostel plays loud music well into the night. The privates don't have air-con which makes sleeping a sweaty affair. But the beds are new and comfy. Don't book your Playa Blanca trip through the hostel- it is MUCH cheaper to just get your ticket right at the dock.

Excellent hostel. We stayed at Mamallena in Panama City and liked the hostel so much we booked to stay with them in Cartagena also. The Hostels are different, but just as good for different reasons. The Cartagena Mamallena has good sized rooms and some excellent communal areas. Rooms didn´t have AC, but we were more than fine with the fan in the room (I believe AC is being fitted soon anyway). Staff were helpful; even though Stuart the owner is an Aussie ,-), he was very welcoming and helpful.

Ah you , just don't know when you're beat :) I appreciate the comments and it was a pleasure to have you at the hostel. The AC is coming soon, depending on local workers of course........ Thanks for the comments and come back next time you're in town.

Stuart is the man and is extremely helpful; goes out of his way to ensure that guests have a great time without any hassles

Now you've just made me blush :(

We had a lovely stay, and lots of help when we needed to extend our stay. Thanks so much if any of my friends ever go to Cartagena I will definitely refer them to Mamalema Hanlie Ochse

• 30th Jul 2013
  • South Africa

Fantastic staff who are very willing to help with all your travel arrangements. Wi fi a little slow at times. Big orders at the bar or restaurant took some time but well worth the wait. Thanks Stu and co for looking after us so well.

And it was great having you guys here, always a pleasure. WiFi can be a problem, even though we pay for the best that we can get. 10 people ordering all at once will always be a bit slow, but as long as you enjoyed the food! I hope the trip to Salento was as much fun as I know you guys had in Cartagena. Thanks very much for coming.

Nice hostel! Good staff, neer from the party and the city, Stuart its very kind, the only bad thing it's no AC in the room

It's coming! It's coming! Honest, we'll have AC soon! You'll have to come back to experience it :)

The hostal is very well located and the staff is friendly and really helpfull. The kitchen is very well equiped, and the hostal is pretty. But, it was so loud that it was impossible to sleep before 3am. On a Tuesday, people from the hostal were singing literally in front of our window past midnight.

I am sorry about that, the night shift guy is normally pretty strict about people making noise after 12pm. We actually often have people complaining because he won't let them stay outside. I will speak to him again though and make sure he is stricter still. I also always suggest to people that if theres too much noise then they ask the people to be quiet and if that doesn't work then complain to the staff. I'm glad you enjoyed the rest of the stay.

An okay place for a good price. It's a hostel, with pros and cons that it may bring. You will pay way cheaper than in a hotel and will have a cool atmosphere. On the other hand, you will have to deal with the unbearable weather without an air conditioned (it seems to be over 30 Celsius 24 hours/day, literally!). I do know that it is expected when you look for an economic alternative, but it MUST be taken into account when it comes to be in Cartagena. It's really hard to sleep.

Stuart, the owner, is trying to do his best to improve the hostel. The Air conditioned, missing by that infamous hot and humid weather, is now being installed. Wifi doesn't work so good and IS very slow ! Otherwise, it's a good place to meet travelers, mostly backpackers, and a few couples. The plus is definitely the courtyard where people meet and socialize. There are also quite a few pets, free to run and interact with visitors (perrot, dog, cats, rabbit... donkey next ?)

I want a monkey!! But they won't let me get one :( It's probably a good job though. I'm glad you enjoyed the place and sorry for the problems. The WiFi is the best we can get and we pay for the fastest we can have. It can be a problem in Cartagena though.

The location is nice and the atmosphere is fun, but it's more of a party hostel than expected and got quite noisy at times. Other than a dorm with AC it seemed like no rooms had air conditioning and it was quite miserable at night with only 2 fans. Plus the place was dirty and full of bugs since all windows had to be open for some minimal air flow. It was ok, but not worth the money.

• 14th Jun 2013

I am glad that you did enjoy some parts of the hostel, but I do find it strange that you have booked a hostel without AC and then complain about it. We say when you book that there is no AC. If the room was so dirty why did you say nothing in your three days here? Its a bit unfair not to let us know there is a problem until AFTER you leave, and then online! We do also have people who sit in our patio area talking at night time, but thats very different to a party hostel. They have fun!