Hostel Masaya Santa Marta Reviews

Calle 14 04-80, Santa Marta, Colombia

Nice to have a curtain round the bed, but it was so hot and the fans dont do much. Otherwise no complaints, decent place.

OK Hostel

When I arrived there was decoration work taking place however I found the staff to be informative and friendly. Excellent location and highly recommend.

Staff and location are great! Bathrooms were not clean and water from the showers would run off to the floor of the toilet and the sink.

• 17th Jul 2015
  • Venezuela

Great stay there, good location, really helpful staff, nice rooms and services, great rooftop pool and bar.. Only thing someone was stealing my clothes and putting them on the balconies, this happened to other people I knew. Only some t shirts were stolen but it's just strange..

Hostel building and facilities (2 pools) are awesome! Unfortunately we had a few rude staff members that made stay difficult, this can happen anywhere though. Important to note that in the 12 bed dorm we stayed in none of our lockers worked AND the room has been broken into multiple times (it's on the street and can be climbed to)

Roof top swimming pool is a big selling point. Only issue was I heard something about thieves climbing up onto one of the balconies and stealing from the rooms. BUT nothing happened whilst I was there and my stuff wasn't stolen and it wasn't locked up.

The dorms don't have AC so the doors to the balconies are left open. Not surprisingly on Saturday night someone came into the dorms while we slept and stole almost all cell phones, iPads, and cash. My phone was under my pillow so someone stood over me while I slept and searched my bed and pants' pockets. What is surprising is that it happened the week before and no one at the hostel warned us. Their complete disregard for their guests' safety makes it seem like the hostel is in on it.

Hello, I can assure you it's the first time we get robbed and we analyzed very seriously and immediatly what happened and how. We are fixing issues, mostly on balconies to get safety's back. Sorry for the inconvenience, i can assure you we're as chocked as you are.

Having being recommended this place by many people, it was really disappointing. The staff were painfully slow and unorganised (it took over 30 minutes to check in then another 30 to sort out a bed that was actually empty) and there is no vibe at all. The dorm beds with compartments are good but the bathrooms are far too small for the amount of people. My friends were also robbed during their time here (from inside the dorm) and the police told them it is quite a common occurrence in this hostel

Hello, Thanks for your comment. First of all, it's the first time we got robbed and it's important to say that we analyzed the issue and are fixing it thanks to our camera system. Secondly, we're really sorry abot low check-in, maybe you were with a new person and it got long. Sorry for that. We're taking your comment very seriously, please come back and change your mind, our hostels are great!

Really great hostel. The staff were really friendly and helpful, and the dorm set-up was awesome: each bed has a curtain, personal fan, reading light and outlet. Two pools and a vibey rooftop bar with a lovely view, and the kitchen looked clean and well equipped. One thing that could be improved is the bathroom situation; the floors are always wet and dirty because the water from the showers doesn't drain away properly. Overall, the best hostel I've stayed at.

Thanks a lot for your comment ! We're glad to see you enjoyed our commodities. We've fixed plumbing issue so there's no wet floors anymore. Don't hesitate to come back, you get 10% off on your 2nd stay if it's a direct booking (website or front desk).

Nice hostel, in the middle of Santa Marta. However while I stayed here some people get robbed in the middle of the night. Sbody took the valuables of the people from the shelfs next to them, reaching through the bed curtains. The hotel was not really helpful with resolving the situation. Other thing is with the common area toilets. The flush is working on a random basis. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. So the cleanliness could be better.

Hello, sorry about that. First time we get robbed. We are doing everything we can to fix plumbing issues and to check every safety points of the hostel.

Disappointing. The hostel is a very attractive building, with two swimming pools, but there were serious plumbing issues while I was there. The en suite toilet did not flush well and the shower was more of a dribble, so it was difficult to rinse off soap and shampoo. Of the two toilets next door, one was flooded and the other had an overflowing waste bin and a blocked sink. The "superior" dorm was small and stuffy, as the air con came on at 10pm and there was no fan. The staff did their best.

Hello, Thanks for your comment. We take your comment very seriously and we already did a check of every plumbing issues. Thanks

This hostel is just awesome! Thanks for everything!

Thank you ! Follow us on Facebook : Masaya Hostels

I loved this hostel! Set in a really beautiful building with a great roof terrace with a pool and bar. We stayed in a big dorm of 12 but still had our privacy as each bed has a curtain, as well as it's own individual fan and light! It can be a bit quiet in the evenings but is a few doors down from another hostel and other bars that are always busy and full of people. This place is great if you want to add a bit of luxury to your travels and stay in a nice place. We loved the TV Room + AC too!

Stayed for only a night but it was truly a little bit of paradise away from the hectic city. Breakfast is an additional 8,000 cop pp but it was good for the price, plus the rooftop terrace makes it all that much more enjoyable. Dorm rooms have great privacy due to the curtain for each bunk, plus the individual fan, light and plug socket for each bed is really well thought out! Nice atmosphere and they always seem to have some sort of activity going on throughout the week.

Thank you for this awesome comment. We confirm we do have cultural activities every day ! and for free. Find us on Facebook : Masaya Hostels to follow the Masaya Experience.

The hostel is great! Has great facilities and I loved the curtains for beds which give you total privacy. I wouldn't recommend the breakfast they offer for those money you can make urself a much better breakfast. And the beach near the hostel is a no go .

We're very pleased to hear that you appreciated the Masaya facilities and the curtains of the dorms ! We are a bit surprised about your comment about the breakfast : every day, we serve a very complete breakfast which includes: hot drinks, fresh juices, eggs, bread, marmalade/butter, cereals, milk and fruits... We have a lot of good reviews about it. Discover our Hostel of Bogotá (with curtains too!) and get 10% off on your 2nd stay in a Masaya hostel. Follow us on Facebook : Masaya Hostels !

I used up a lot of superlatives in describing the Masaya Bogota in an earlier review but this one, the Masaya Santa Marta, is in an utter class of its own. Hotel-quality facilities, an army of cleaners, wipers and polishers working until late at night, personable and attentive reception staff, good dorms, an excellent kitchen, endless shady patios and lounges and, best of all, two plunge pools to cool off and chill out. I doubt if hostelling gets better than this anywhere.

Thank you very much for your nice review! We're very pleased to hear that you loved your Masaya Experience. We would be very happy to welcome you again and get 10% off on your 2nd stay in a Masaya hostel. Follow us on Facebook : Masaya Hostels !

Live music night was very busy and we couldn't get close, the next night rooftop bar closed at 10.30pm and we sat in the dark! Rather a quiet hostel with knowledgeable staff. Beds comfy with the extra bonus of double sided curtains and personal fan.

Thanks for your thoughts on your stay. We’re happy to see that our staff was helpful. Indeed, we have a no noise policy after 10 PM in order to respect everyone's right to a quiet night's sleep. Feel free to come back and get 10% off on your second stay in a Masaya Hostel.

Monika is amazing so friendly and so helpful. The hostel is well looked after and will store your bags safely for you while you go off exploring the surrounding area. It's quite hard to leave! No breakfast with dorms but plenty of options in Santa Marta.

Thanks for your great review ! We're very pleased that you appreciated the Masaya concept : the best comfort with a nice atmosphere and cultural activity every day. Don't hesitate to visit us in Bogotá, we hope that our personal will be nice as Monica ! And you can get 10% off on your 2nd stay ! Follow us on Facebook : Masaya Hostels.

This was such a disappointment. After an amazing time in Masaya Bogotá I was really keen to stay in the Masaya Santa Marta and what a difference. The staff were terrible. Unfriendly, really slow, unhelpful. It took almost 40 minutes to check in, they weren't able to give any recommendations, really rude - I wouldn't recommend this place! The rooms were a bit dirty and pretty cramped. There are much nicer places for better money - my regret is I had already booked on here and so had to stay!

Thanks for your thoughts on your stay. We’re happy to see that you had an amazing stay in Masaya Bogotá. I have to confess that we are a bit surprised about your comment about our staff, I've communicated your comment to the manager to keep improving our service ! Feel free to come back and get 10% off on your second stay in a Masaya Hostel.