Hostel Mundo Maya Reviews

Avenida Yaxchilan 82, Cancun, Mexico

Booked this hostel as a first stop after arriving to Mexico before heading to the rest of Central America. Stayed three nights in total and had a pleasant stay. Found the place easy enough from the ADO terminal and was showed to our room by a friendly member of staff who gave us clean towels. Found the place clean and thought the simple breakfast was really good and helps your daily budget go a little further. You wont find a better priced private room to this standard in Cancun.

• 19th Jan 2015

This hostel doesn´t have very nice atmosphere. The receptionist can't speak English. I had a problem with getting a wrong room, so they kept promising to get me a discount, especially the owner of the place. but then after trying to solve the problem which took a lot of time a different girl came (on third day of our day or so) and actually explained the problem, and apparently we got the right room. on the web site it says it´s ensuite, note that this doesn´t mean the room has its own bathroom.

They charged me TWICE just for a one night stay. I checked my bank statement and this hostel not only made me pay for the room in cash when I checked out of the hostel, but they also charged me the same fee online on my credit card. They won't give me my money back. I would highly recommend you NOT stay here. There are many other places to stay that aren't as dirty. Breakfast is a joke, and the location is poor. I didn't even have clean sheets and it's very difficult to communicate with them.

The place has no character, they were working on building some new rooms during my stay and they didn't care how loud they were, even late at night. No internet in the rooms, only in the lobby area. The owner charges 19% vat on top of your booking, which is unjustified in my opinion.

Bad experience: - Owner didn;t know about our reservation - Owner tried to charge us extra 19% even though in the web site mail it stated clearly that it's included in the 'due amount' - Bedsheets had blood, dirt and pee stains, it didn't looked or smelled washed at all. - Some facilities are non-existing (10 old books ≠ book exchange, 2 boardgames ≠ games room, a sink and a microwave ≠ kitchen, broken aircon ≠ functioning aircon ...) Upside: WIFI, free Water and cheap prices

The only up side was that is was close to the bus station which helped us because we had only one night there. Plus the breakfast was nice. The girl in the morning was very helpful. The facilities though where more expensive then other places we saw but not as good at all... The bed wasn't clean and towels also. We wouldn't recommend this hostel.

well.. i guess you could have a better stay in cancun but if you re just looking for a clean, ok place to sleep one night and save some money i think it's a good place. staff was nice and waited for us when we arrived late but they charged all of the room price off my credit card before our arrival instead of just the 12% as usual with hostelworld, still don't know why, and i didnt like that. other than that it was ok.

It was a shared bathroom, if I book with en-suite.

Great value for money at this hostel. Very clean, great location (near the food markets and bus stops to get to beaches). Room was very clean and staff were friendly. Nice and Simple Breakfast. One issue we had was that there is no air con. They had free water which was a massive bonus in this heat!!

Great hostel for a last minute stay in Cancun. Huge room with TV and comfy beds, little kitchen for use, free breakfast and free water. Wifi in the room and friendly helpful staff - makes all the difference. Good location for the supermarket and 5 minute walk to the main square and bus station. A relaxing stay for a night before moving on.

Everyone was extremely friendly, accommodating and helpful- it was a really warm welcome and a very nice stay.

• 22nd Jul 2014

The large, mixed dorm has 10 ( not 8) beds,with 8 lockers and 2 little fans. Small common spaces, where a very light breakfast is served, with fridge, microwave and purified water. It's noisy between 6-21 for traffic, so go to bed early or use earplugs. Check-out at 13, useful if you take a late bus.

Too expensive for the value of money. Stuff was not very friendly and caotic (owner swiched two times the light in the dorm off while the people where reading. at about 7 p.m.). Though the location is very good i would not stay again at this place. Is only a place to sleep, not a place to stay. Breakfast was limited by 2 pieces of bread.

Great hostal,near of everything,location,clean,saludos a Carlos

Nice Hostel in Cancun, where you can feel the real spirit of Mexico, away from the "Zona Hotelera". People working there are very nice and kind..i really enjoyed chatting with them. Rooms are confortable and there is a quite atmosphere. The location is great, around you have nice pubs and restaurants. If you want to spend two or three nights to this city, the hostel is very recommendable.

Given the low price, this hostel is definitely recommendable if you just wanna stay there at night. Great location and very friendly and helpful owner.

The staff was great, and it was a simple but good hostel if you're just passing through. The only problem really was the breakfast, which was bread and jam, if you're gonna do breakfast you do it right or not at all. And the stinky dog that you could smell a mile away. Cockroaches, and a nice big rat behind the water cooler.

Nice location! Only 10 min walk from the hostel to catch buses (R1 or R2) to get to the hotel zone! Also there is a large supermarket (Chedraui) right next to where you catch the buses. Staff are really nice and resourceful. The rate is really reasonable for Cancun. It's not a party hostel but for people who want quite night and nice sleep!

For that price it's ok, it's a nice and quiet place with calm music, the owner is nice and helpful, too. The breakfast is two toasts, marmelade, butter and coffee, but it's always something. You get the towel and a little soap, you can lock your stuff, use the fridge and the kitchen. The location is very good, 10-15 minutes walk from the bus station, 5 min to the supermarket and buses to the beach.

It was like a family!!!!

• 28th Dec 2012