Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

Hostel Pangea has a very nice rooftop bar that serves very tasty meals. Also has a great happy hour ,I will be back soon! I definitely would recommend this place they really made me feel welcomed!

Besides the one girl who checked us in, the staff were extremely un-engaged and not helpful. The guy at the restaurant/bar would take someone's drink order, then walk away for 20 minutes. Come back and deal with the line and take off for another 20. The room was basic but clean, awesome views from the bar/restaurant. They had HOT WATER!!! Such a luxury on a rainy afternoon. Wifi worked well. The restaurant didn't open for breakfast before we had to catch our transfer so go to the store before.

Lovely girl on check in, not so much with the girl on check out. Ridiculously rude bar staff. Could not get over it. Private room was less than private, particularly with the broken window. Lacking simple things like a table and an over sheet on the bed. Wouldn't hurry back.

close to downtown and many restaurants, shopping mall, bus stop and even close to the airport. Staff are fun always smiling, always engaging you always have a good time. Hostel very secure and has a unique and very mello and relax atmosphere (if your there in the slow season) otherwise hear it can be a real party place. Overall staff are the biggest thing about this hostel believe me I had fun just hanging around the staff, they are quite knowledgeable and go the extra mile.

The pickup at the airport didn't work although I told them flight number etc well in advance. I arrived around 9pm and had to take a dodgy taxi. room was smelly and without windows but at least big enough. lockers are outside of the room. shower was not in the best shape. breakfast wasn't served at 7am although announced like that and I had to leave at 7:30. the guy was unfriendly and made me feel crazy to dear to order breakfast at that time. wouldn't stay here again.

Most of the staff was very unfreindly, when I asked for informations concerning the complicated situation of San Joses several Bus stations, only the guy behind the bar tried to help me and gave me a smile. The bar is nice with a good view but rooms are dark and more than basic, nothing to put or hang on your stuff, but they are clean. The showers too, but the lavatorys are one the corridor, so there ist absolutely no privacy. The atmosphere is cold and it feels more like a prison than a hostel.

great rooftop bar with exquist meals and great staff, i recommend

the people at the reception are anything but helpful, as soon as you pay the basically don't care about you, and wouldn´t help you even if its really important. Especially Maria should find an other job, where she doesn´t work with people.

Been here a few times, very dependable experience. Staff are knowledgeable and friendly. Location is pretty good for downtown and busses to the airport. Some of the rooms get stuffy, there aren't any fans in the basic private rooms and airflow can be limited. But the bathrooms are clean and the view from the bar is fantastic!

Nice and clean hostel. Rooms are basic, but have everything you need. In room 26 the curtain was missing. People could look right in, especially at night with the light on. Other rooms did have closed curtains, so only mine was missing. I resolved it with the blanket, which was way too hot anyway, but this is something they should fix. I was given wrong instructions for further travel. Directed me to the wrong bus terminal. Should have said they didn't know if not sure.

A great place to stay away from the madness of this city. The hostel is in a good location near all bus terminals & perfect for a night or two before or after a bus in or out of San Jose. The facilities are really good, way beyond most hostels & spotless with great hot showers. The restaurant is a little pricey but so is San Jose overall & totally worth it not to have to venture outside the very secure large steel gates that surround the hostel. Would definitely recommend if in San Jose...

very nice clean hostel.

Very good location for coming in and out of Costa Rica or passing through- not far from both bus stations. Good facilities, I also really liked the fact they have airport transfer as I am a solo traveller and arrived in San Jose very late. Also easy to walk to main tourists spots in San Jose ( or shall I say central place, as I haven't really seen any touristic things to see or do ) . Staff are really friendly!

• 30th Sep 2015
  • Lithuania

I would recommend taking the bus or a cab from the airport to the hostel. The hostel guaranteed they had a bus that would pick us up, but it ended up being a taxi driver in his own car, who had his own agenda. This driver suggested we never use the public bus because they were so unsafe, and told us not to walk around outside the hostel. Upon just arriving in Costa Rica at night, this put me on edge when arriving at the hostel. None of that was true.

The hostel is fantastic, it has a great bar with incredible views and is couple of blocks away from the main bus terminal to go travel around the country.

The staff was quite rude with the backpackers for no reason. We had gotten our laundry done there, and they shrunk all of our clothes even when we told them not to dry it for as long as they did. The staff wasn't helpful, the atmosphere was poor and nothing like a party hostel. It's very boring, and the bar staff was probably the worst part. They also have their own exchange rate for money which doesn't help.

• 3rd Sep 2015

It was a nice place but the location wasn't so great for me because of the types of places we wanted to go, but apart from that everything else was good

Definitly has potential, but was dissapointed that the pool was green, and more so that the barman on the night was impatient and rude. Don't usually do negative staff comments but hey I would have bought a few more beers otherwise.

• 10th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Very noisy hostel. We woke up multiple times at night due to other guest walking around or leaving very early on day trips, Overall the hostel was fine, but atmosphere was lacking.

• 7th Aug 2015

Corridors s floor and room have never been swiped i think. No wifi available in my room (46) I find rice in my room. No kitchen, for a backpaker it is no imaginable. Covertion rate at 550, this is not regular rate. I spent 4 weeks in costa rica, i went in 12 backpaker it s the worst. Tkme to wake up.

• 7th Aug 2015