Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

Very nice place, staff didn't seem to happy to be there or help.

So after staying two days and booking a tour my flight wasn't till the afternoon and they wanted me to pay just to chill out before my flight. Wifi is terrible, they charge for everything. Yes rooms are clean and bathrooms aren't to bad but the atmosphere is terrible. Everyone there wanted to leave. You don't feel comfortable there and honestly they just want your cash, you feel like cattle going in there. Once they get there money they don't bother helping with anything. Better places then this

I was disappointed to learn that the credit card machine was not working upon arrival. Even more so that both the woman at the front desk and the manager were not willing in any way to accommodate or help me as a solo traveler in a strange country, who was happy to support their local business. They were not able to charge the remaining balance my card, or offer a refund for my deposit. Also, the atmosphere of the hostel was very loud all through the night.

The staff can be hit or miss. They'll always answer your questions but rarely with a smile. The showers are hot, which is a plus. It's location is fine. There is no communal kitchen but there are places to get food nearby. It does have a bar and restaurant but the prices are a bit more. I haven't opted for one of their day excursions but they do offer them. It's good for a night or two, no more than that. The biggest drawback is that they blast music in their common area.

Super loud. Music plays until midnight and you can hear anyone and everyone's voice everywhere. Walls are super thin and tin roof. Trucks, buses and motorcycles all night long! Shower lost water pressure and only suggestion, by staff, was to fond another shower station with pressure. Rooms are teeny tiny. No accessible kitchen to prepare/store own food. Felt as if my whole body was assaulted by the mattress' springs.

Wifi was very bad!!!

• 16th Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

We were highly disappointed with our stay at Pangea! It started off with a fake pickup at the airport; some random guy imitated the pickup shuttle from Pangea! When we arrived at Pangea the guy at the reception was mad at us, did not even say hello and blamed us for taking a "wrong" Shuttle! We had to pay another pickup-fee! Shower was not working. Bar staff was unfriendly. Tourist Information was not helpfull at all. Would not recommend a stay- so far worst hostel in Costa Rica!

• 14th Feb 2015

Wifi great! They are only really focussed on making money. Friend told the grumpy bartender that 3$ quite expensive is for a beer and somewhere else it should not cost more than 2. Bartender answered: shhht, dont tell Anyone. Too defensive and not friendly. Food was really good but also quite expensive. And not allowed to drink or eat your own drinks/food in de bar, which is the main common room. Rooms really clean and enough bathrooms, with hot water!!!

The only things we liked about Hostel Pagea was it's location, the rooftop restaurant, and the fact that it had a swimming pool. However, we would probably not stay here again. Their customer service was terrible - very unhelpful and almost rude. My husband and I shared a private room. We were not given a top sheet for our bed, when many of the other rooms had one. We were happy they had warm water in the showers, but it turned cold after about 3-4 minutes and lost pressure soon after that.

• 13th Feb 2015

Great hostel! Bathrooms were really clean and had a fun cool design. Pool area and bar were awesome. There were hammocks that looked over a beautiful view of the city. A little trouble getting there from the bus station but that was our own fault and not the hostels! If you are planning to take public transit from the airport make sure you know where you are going!

• 10th Feb 2015

Fantastic hostel! The staff were so friendly and accommodating! So helpful and answered all of our (many) questions. Great location and security- very close to the centre. Clean, comfortable beds. The bar and access to Internet was great too! Overall, highly recommended!

My friend and I had the most incredible time at Hostel Pangea! We would strongly recommend it :). Best location and the staff is incredible !!!! You must try the Mojito!

• 1st Feb 2015

Carolina, (counter staff) was rude

• 28th Jan 2015

Music was played too loud too late into the night, even when no one was really there to listen to it! Dorm was a bit dark.

• 28th Jan 2015

Diego, the owner was extremely helpful. He speaks very good english and he helped me to get a good deal to rent a car and gave me great advice. The facilities were cery clean and had hot private showers. Clean bed, free wifi and a bar/restaurant upstairs.Great value for your money.

• 26th Jan 2015

Staff really rude and helpful especially when i arrived the man on reception was no help at all and extremely rude!

• 26th Jan 2015

Good atmosphere, food and pool area! The staff were pretty helpful. The rooms were pretty dark though as the windows were to the corridor. Overall would recommend this hostel :)

Really nice big hostal and good clean facilities . The music was a bit loud at night but I still managed to sleep through it, maybe bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper and you want to go to bed really early (I think they stop music at 12) . Overall I think it was a nice hostal and good location close to a lot of shops

The pool and lounge area is really where you get your money's worth here. The staff spoke great English and food was good too. A bit pricey for food and drinks and they don't have a kitchen to store your own food but theres plenty of restaurants around. Wasn't there on the weekend but even during the week its super fun. We stayed in a double bed room. They are quite simple but clean. HAPPY HOUR :)

Very secure hostel, and it's huge too! Nice restaurant but a kitchen would be nice for us broke travelers. Very friendly and helpful staff.

« first « Prev 1 2 3