Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

Definitly has potential, but was dissapointed that the pool was green, and more so that the barman on the night was impatient and rude. Don't usually do negative staff comments but hey I would have bought a few more beers otherwise.

• 10th Aug 2015
  • New Zealand

Corridors s floor and room have never been swiped i think. No wifi available in my room (46) I find rice in my room. No kitchen, for a backpaker it is no imaginable. Covertion rate at 550, this is not regular rate. I spent 4 weeks in costa rica, i went in 12 backpaker it s the worst. Tkme to wake up.

• 7th Aug 2015

Stayed her for one night before continuing north. Location is really good, a 10 min walk to the bus stations. It is a bit hard to find though since Google maps puts the location a block wrong. The hostel is quite noisy and with a lot of people but it is easy to meet other travelers and that sort of make up for it

Staff were very helpful in helping us navigate how to get to our next location on our backpacking trip and the rooftop bar and restaurants was perfect for relaxing and meeting other travelers! Maybe we just didn't walk down the right streets, but we found that there really was not a lot of restaurants or activities to do in the nearby areas.

We only stayed for the night. It was social but I'm sure that it would be better in peak season. Staff in the bar were very average. Service was slow but all in all it was clean and secure which it what you want from a hostel

I don't understand how this hostel has as low of rating as it does. First off the security is amazing with a guard who acts as a doorman, keycards for all rooms. Amazing showers that are super clean. Cool bar upstairs and rooftop patio with great view of mountains. Great location, right my the central square walking distance to all bus stations. Area felt plenty safe to me. Wifi was plentiful minus the rooms. Honestly no complaints have already stayed again when I came back to San Jose.

Booking is an absolute hassle, the staff treated us like a number and we felt like we were imposing on people to get drinks or even ask directions. The walls are paper thin and we could hear the music from the bar and even conversations of the people showering beside us. Worst night in Costa Rica. I will be emailing lonely planet because the star beside the accomodation name usually means the place is great. Lonely Planet let us down and I don't want other travellers to make the same mistake.

• 29th Jul 2015

Dear guest i am sorry you didn't have a good time , you asked for the cheapest dorm and we pleased you with that .Our place is great and Lonely planet and other guide books are not the only ones that say that you can ask other travellers, we have such a great place and that is why we are the hostel with more reviews in all Costa Rica over 1200 and counting !! Next time get a private room and you will have more privacy if that is what you are looking for in a hostel.

Staff very friendly and nice vibe to the place, lots of fun decor. Shuttle from the airport was very handy and place felt very secure

This hostel is great but in an area that is sketchy as hell. We saw prostitutes on the corner and were hounded by men on the way there from the bus station. The walk is not an easy one either and would not recommend doing at night unless you want to get robbed. The interior is nice but the rooms can be really noisy since the only way to get fresh air is by leaving the windows open. Rooftop lounge is really nice but only takes cash and the only ATM is down the street past the prostitutes.

Great place in San Jose. It's close to several restaurants, bars and museums. The food at the restaurant upstairs is definitely pricey but everything is high quality. Dorm beds are comfortable and the private rooms are AWESOME. We were a little disappointed because we needed an airport shuttle in the afternoon, which the hostel offers, but when we asked the girl at the front desk for the shuttle, she told us they weren't running the shuttle in the afternoon (even though all the posters said so.)

Pick up service from the airport was great and on time. Private room was pretty small but clean. Staff were very helpful especially Diego... He organized and suggested a number of tours all of which were exactly as described. Bar area and food was pretty sweet as well. Only down side was the location is only a couple of blocks from a pretty dodgy part of town.

Great Hostel, loads of facilities, good vibes, very clean and great showers. Food was good, parking a bit pricey but very secure.

Room.- basic , however despite no windows room cool , not hot to sleep in. Street location is the.biggest. issue , however many parts of San Jose , don't give an impression of a safe city to be walking around. Stafff not particularly friendly.

I came here for the atmosphere... there is no shared kitchen nor free lounging area (where you can bring you own drinks and food). they have a bar restaurant upstairs with plenty of seating but you can't consume anything not purchased there. on my floor... 1 toilet for males, 1 urinal, females had 2 toilets. it was down season so it wasn't a problem but I can't imagine high season. reception staff was great. walking distance to downtown areas. no refund policy.

Probably because it's low season I didn't get to experience many interactions with other guests. Also I stayed only for one night and got to the hostel pretty late so I wasn't able to see if there's room and activities for guests to interact.

Stayed here first night of my trip - clean, safe, nice bar/pool area and a good vibe

We stayed here one night on our way out Costa Rica. Very safe hostel with helpful staff. Whether you are looking to party or to chill out this hostel has it all.

fantastic place to stop over in San Jose for a few nights!

Really good hostel. Very clean and great showers

hostel pangea is a spacious hostel located in the heart of san jose. the rooftop terrace restaurant and lounge is the best part of the place- you can relax there after a day of whitewater rafting with some costa rican beer and good company. the direct airport shuttle, luggage storage and 24 hour checkin are extra pluses. the only thing i think they could improve upon is more lighting in the upstairs bathroom/shower area. otherwise, i had a great stay!