Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

Everything was fine! It was a good place to stay and I appreciated the luggage storage. It felt a bit more like a hotel than a hostel, there wasn't much "personality" to it. But it's very close to the downtown area. Probably one of the best options for San Jose.

Awesome place. Must stay if in San jose

• 3rd May 2015

Had a great time here! The pool was a sweet welcome... The dorm room was clean and quiet. Staff were very helpful and I met some great people :) thanks!!

• 6th Apr 2015

Terrible experience. When I arrived the guy who worked there was not welcoming, annoyed that I was there (felt like it) and answered me short. He laughed at me when I asked if they had a kitchen and said bluntly no. The staff there is not friendly at all. Not what I experienced. They literally kicked me out at 2 pm when I came back for my luggage (free to store your luggage there until two). My bed was not clean. Looked like they used the same sheets. All I all, horrible last day in central A

Very few bathrooms for the amount of people staying there, we arrived late at night (20:00hs) and they were a litlle too dirty. There's no community kitchen to cook so we had to buy something to eat at the bar, not so good for budget travel. The room only has a bedroom, so if you are staying longer than for a day, there's no place to put your clothes, only your backpack.

• 5th Apr 2015
  • Uruguay

A welcoming atmosphere, very helpful staff, safe, clean, cool facilities, fantastic rooftop bar/restaurant. Very cool place!

• 30th Mar 2015

The room size and bed comfort are average. MANY shared bathrooms - great. The hostel is located a block from central San Jose, which is nice. It's away from all the noise but also 2 blocks away from a really dangerous neighborhood. You just have to make sure to walk in the correct direction :). They have about 5 or 6 computers, which I appreciated and the restaurant is open till 11pm I believe. The only thing I did not like was that there is no communal kitchen or fridge.

• 24th Mar 2015

I have stayed here several times and never had as poor servic i had this time. On arrival prior to seeing our room, I attempted to book more nights the girl could not be bothered and told me to come back the next day. Boy was I glad I did. First of all I was excited at the aspect of the rooms being upgraded and was willing to pay the price. A little paint and a few decorations are not upgrades. The water at the shower dribble out of the shower head and it reeked of sewage the same as before.

• 19th Mar 2015

The security in the hostel itself was very good but it was located within a suburb not that secure...

Not close to other restaurants. You really have the option to eat there. It would be nice if you say you open breakfast at 7 that it opens at . Not wen you feel like it especially when you have paid for a tour that starts early and says b'fsst included. It says transport available- after a few emails and several days trying to organise this, the form I had "to fill" in was sent when I was in flight. Good way to avoid picking up people there. Staff are friendly and helpful though .

good place

We found the place loud and dirty.

• 8th Mar 2015

I had a lot of fun staying at hostel Pangea and the roof deck view was unbeatable. However, there were some issues with the upstairs water pressure but the downstairs showers were good. The staff was pleasant. One of the guys that worked at the bar gave us attitude a bit. The food was delicious, even though it was a bit expensive. $7 for a full plate. There was a service desk where they helped book trips which was super helpful. I would definitely stay there again, but hope they improve showers.

• 7th Mar 2015

It's a decent hostel. The shuttle to and from the airport was a good addition. It's really noisy though. Don't expect to get much sleep.

Good location if you want to be DT, clean with a great bar upstairs. Front desk however is quite inhospitable, unwilling to make simple allowances for guests (early check in after an overnight flight. When I finally was allowed in my room I was the only person staying in it and hostel wasn't even at half capacity

• 6th Mar 2015

Very nice place, staff didn't seem to happy to be there or help.

So after staying two days and booking a tour my flight wasn't till the afternoon and they wanted me to pay just to chill out before my flight. Wifi is terrible, they charge for everything. Yes rooms are clean and bathrooms aren't to bad but the atmosphere is terrible. Everyone there wanted to leave. You don't feel comfortable there and honestly they just want your cash, you feel like cattle going in there. Once they get there money they don't bother helping with anything. Better places then this

I was disappointed to learn that the credit card machine was not working upon arrival. Even more so that both the woman at the front desk and the manager were not willing in any way to accommodate or help me as a solo traveler in a strange country, who was happy to support their local business. They were not able to charge the remaining balance my card, or offer a refund for my deposit. Also, the atmosphere of the hostel was very loud all through the night.

The staff can be hit or miss. They'll always answer your questions but rarely with a smile. The showers are hot, which is a plus. It's location is fine. There is no communal kitchen but there are places to get food nearby. It does have a bar and restaurant but the prices are a bit more. I haven't opted for one of their day excursions but they do offer them. It's good for a night or two, no more than that. The biggest drawback is that they blast music in their common area.

Super loud. Music plays until midnight and you can hear anyone and everyone's voice everywhere. Walls are super thin and tin roof. Trucks, buses and motorcycles all night long! Shower lost water pressure and only suggestion, by staff, was to fond another shower station with pressure. Rooms are teeny tiny. No accessible kitchen to prepare/store own food. Felt as if my whole body was assaulted by the mattress' springs.

« first « Prev 1 2 3