Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

Unlike other hostels where staff are willing to help with many things and give good advice about where to go, stuff in this hostel seems to care only about money. They have lockers but they lock many of them so that you need to pay to lock your belongings even if you already bring locks with you. They don't have space for you to hang your clothes to dry but they offer to dry your clothes if you pay $3. I have stayed with several roommates and they are all extremely unsatisfied with the hostel.

First stop in Costa Rica. Looks sketchy from the outside but very safe and secure on the inside, good location too. Met some awesome people here who I ended up travelling with for an extended period of time. Highly recommend for solo travellers.

Saw quite a few negative reviews for this place but went for it anyway, and was pleased to find most of these unfounded. The toilet/shower area was a bit weirdly open plan, but the showers themselves were *outstanding* - hot, high pressure, spacious. The communal area is well-equipped with power sockets, which looked well-appreciated by the array of guests plugged in throughout the day. The hostel is also 50m from a gem of an Egyptian restaurant, which does the best hummus ever. (contd)

• 7th Dec 2015

I was surprised to learn after arriving, that there was no kitchen available for me to cook. Perhaps I failed to notice that lack, in the hostel's online description. To me the whole hostel's interior was very poorly lit. In the bathroom, that was also a problem for me as far as grooming. There was no place in the shower stall area, for me to sit down and remove my cloths or a place to keep my toiletry bag while showering.

• 1st Dec 2015

Very nice place! helpful staff at the front desk always good.

• 28th Nov 2015

This was the first stay when I landed and my very first hostel experience. Great vibe, great staff, great location. Food was a tad pricy in the bar but was really good. A little noisy first thing in the morning due to traffic but meh, no time to sleep! Too much to see!

I booked an airport shuttle, but was told after I landed I'd need to pay double for a taxi.

• 24th Nov 2015

Great wifi connection i was able to catch up with friends and great burger on the second floor restaurant i will definetaly reccomend for people traveling to and from san jose ! Pura vida and cheers to Mauricio at the bar !!

Reception staff was super friendly, and everything that has been said about the bar man is true. But maybe he's just playing hard to get ;) there is plenty of space to hang out and the showers are awesome!

Hostel Pangea is a proper place to stay in the heart of the city. A nice upstairs bar and chill area.

Hostel Pangea has a very nice rooftop bar that serves very tasty meals. Also has a great happy hour ,I will be back soon! I definitely would recommend this place they really made me feel welcomed!

Besides the one girl who checked us in, the staff were extremely un-engaged and not helpful. The guy at the restaurant/bar would take someone's drink order, then walk away for 20 minutes. Come back and deal with the line and take off for another 20. The room was basic but clean, awesome views from the bar/restaurant. They had HOT WATER!!! Such a luxury on a rainy afternoon. Wifi worked well. The restaurant didn't open for breakfast before we had to catch our transfer so go to the store before.

Lovely girl on check in, not so much with the girl on check out. Ridiculously rude bar staff. Could not get over it. Private room was less than private, particularly with the broken window. Lacking simple things like a table and an over sheet on the bed. Wouldn't hurry back.

close to downtown and many restaurants, shopping mall, bus stop and even close to the airport. Staff are fun always smiling, always engaging you always have a good time. Hostel very secure and has a unique and very mello and relax atmosphere (if your there in the slow season) otherwise hear it can be a real party place. Overall staff are the biggest thing about this hostel believe me I had fun just hanging around the staff, they are quite knowledgeable and go the extra mile.

The pickup at the airport didn't work although I told them flight number etc well in advance. I arrived around 9pm and had to take a dodgy taxi. room was smelly and without windows but at least big enough. lockers are outside of the room. shower was not in the best shape. breakfast wasn't served at 7am although announced like that and I had to leave at 7:30. the guy was unfriendly and made me feel crazy to dear to order breakfast at that time. wouldn't stay here again.

Most of the staff was very unfreindly, when I asked for informations concerning the complicated situation of San Joses several Bus stations, only the guy behind the bar tried to help me and gave me a smile. The bar is nice with a good view but rooms are dark and more than basic, nothing to put or hang on your stuff, but they are clean. The showers too, but the lavatorys are one the corridor, so there ist absolutely no privacy. The atmosphere is cold and it feels more like a prison than a hostel.

great rooftop bar with exquist meals and great staff, i recommend

the people at the reception are anything but helpful, as soon as you pay the basically don't care about you, and wouldn´t help you even if its really important. Especially Maria should find an other job, where she doesn´t work with people.

Been here a few times, very dependable experience. Staff are knowledgeable and friendly. Location is pretty good for downtown and busses to the airport. Some of the rooms get stuffy, there aren't any fans in the basic private rooms and airflow can be limited. But the bathrooms are clean and the view from the bar is fantastic!

Nice and clean hostel. Rooms are basic, but have everything you need. In room 26 the curtain was missing. People could look right in, especially at night with the light on. Other rooms did have closed curtains, so only mine was missing. I resolved it with the blanket, which was way too hot anyway, but this is something they should fix. I was given wrong instructions for further travel. Directed me to the wrong bus terminal. Should have said they didn't know if not sure.