Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

We were highly disappointed with our stay at Pangea! It started off with a fake pickup at the airport; some random guy imitated the pickup shuttle from Pangea! When we arrived at Pangea the guy at the reception was mad at us, did not even say hello and blamed us for taking a "wrong" Shuttle! We had to pay another pickup-fee! Shower was not working. Bar staff was unfriendly. Tourist Information was not helpfull at all. Would not recommend a stay- so far worst hostel in Costa Rica!

• 14th Feb 2015

Wifi great! They are only really focussed on making money. Friend told the grumpy bartender that 3$ quite expensive is for a beer and somewhere else it should not cost more than 2. Bartender answered: shhht, dont tell Anyone. Too defensive and not friendly. Food was really good but also quite expensive. And not allowed to drink or eat your own drinks/food in de bar, which is the main common room. Rooms really clean and enough bathrooms, with hot water!!!

The only things we liked about Hostel Pagea was it's location, the rooftop restaurant, and the fact that it had a swimming pool. However, we would probably not stay here again. Their customer service was terrible - very unhelpful and almost rude. My husband and I shared a private room. We were not given a top sheet for our bed, when many of the other rooms had one. We were happy they had warm water in the showers, but it turned cold after about 3-4 minutes and lost pressure soon after that.

• 13th Feb 2015

Great hostel! Bathrooms were really clean and had a fun cool design. Pool area and bar were awesome. There were hammocks that looked over a beautiful view of the city. A little trouble getting there from the bus station but that was our own fault and not the hostels! If you are planning to take public transit from the airport make sure you know where you are going!

• 10th Feb 2015

Outside on the terace the atmosphere and ambiente was great, but once you got into your room you feel like being in a prison cell. Nothing else but a bed and a trash... Definitely too expensive!!

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

Fantastic hostel! The staff were so friendly and accommodating! So helpful and answered all of our (many) questions. Great location and security- very close to the centre. Clean, comfortable beds. The bar and access to Internet was great too! Overall, highly recommended!

My friend and I had the most incredible time at Hostel Pangea! We would strongly recommend it :). Best location and the staff is incredible !!!! You must try the Mojito!

• 1st Feb 2015

Carolina, (counter staff) was rude

• 28th Jan 2015

Music was played too loud too late into the night, even when no one was really there to listen to it! Dorm was a bit dark.

Diego, the owner was extremely helpful. He speaks very good english and he helped me to get a good deal to rent a car and gave me great advice. The facilities were cery clean and had hot private showers. Clean bed, free wifi and a bar/restaurant upstairs.Great value for your money.

• 26th Jan 2015

Staff really rude and helpful especially when i arrived the man on reception was no help at all and extremely rude!

• 26th Jan 2015

Good atmosphere, food and pool area! The staff were pretty helpful. The rooms were pretty dark though as the windows were to the corridor. Overall would recommend this hostel :)

Really nice big hostal and good clean facilities . The music was a bit loud at night but I still managed to sleep through it, maybe bring earplugs if you are a light sleeper and you want to go to bed really early (I think they stop music at 12) . Overall I think it was a nice hostal and good location close to a lot of shops

The pool and lounge area is really where you get your money's worth here. The staff spoke great English and food was good too. A bit pricey for food and drinks and they don't have a kitchen to store your own food but theres plenty of restaurants around. Wasn't there on the weekend but even during the week its super fun. We stayed in a double bed room. They are quite simple but clean. HAPPY HOUR :)

Very secure hostel, and it's huge too! Nice restaurant but a kitchen would be nice for us broke travelers. Very friendly and helpful staff.

The lady who checked us in had a bit of an attitude and seemed very overwhelmed, but the other guy who was there was super helpful.

I was told there would be quiet hours after ten - as it says on the poster in every room - but the bar played blaring music until midnight and the window of my room was direct to the bar. I had early mornings and slept horrible. Its also not in Barrio Amon, it was on a fairly sketchy street that was not near the beautiful architecture of barrio Amon. The food was also not very good. I would not recommend this place to a friend.

I think that the hostel is great, but the staff could definitely be more accommodating.

Very Clean hostel with a great patio on the top of the building.

• 4th Jan 2015

Realy nice hostel with good facilities. Loads of bathrooms all new and clean. Dorm was fine. All the staff from the shuttle driver to the cook were realy helpful and friendly and clearly people who love their country and want you to have the best experience possible. Great place to stop over on the way in or out of san jose