Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

The security in the hostel itself was very good but it was located within a suburb not that secure...

Not close to other restaurants. You really have the option to eat there. It would be nice if you say you open breakfast at 7 that it opens at . Not wen you feel like it especially when you have paid for a tour that starts early and says b'fsst included. It says transport available- after a few emails and several days trying to organise this, the form I had "to fill" in was sent when I was in flight. Good way to avoid picking up people there. Staff are friendly and helpful though .

good place

We found the place loud and dirty.

• 8th Mar 2015

I had a lot of fun staying at hostel Pangea and the roof deck view was unbeatable. However, there were some issues with the upstairs water pressure but the downstairs showers were good. The staff was pleasant. One of the guys that worked at the bar gave us attitude a bit. The food was delicious, even though it was a bit expensive. $7 for a full plate. There was a service desk where they helped book trips which was super helpful. I would definitely stay there again, but hope they improve showers.

• 7th Mar 2015

It's a decent hostel. The shuttle to and from the airport was a good addition. It's really noisy though. Don't expect to get much sleep.

Good location if you want to be DT, clean with a great bar upstairs. Front desk however is quite inhospitable, unwilling to make simple allowances for guests (early check in after an overnight flight. When I finally was allowed in my room I was the only person staying in it and hostel wasn't even at half capacity

• 6th Mar 2015

Very nice place, staff didn't seem to happy to be there or help.

So after staying two days and booking a tour my flight wasn't till the afternoon and they wanted me to pay just to chill out before my flight. Wifi is terrible, they charge for everything. Yes rooms are clean and bathrooms aren't to bad but the atmosphere is terrible. Everyone there wanted to leave. You don't feel comfortable there and honestly they just want your cash, you feel like cattle going in there. Once they get there money they don't bother helping with anything. Better places then this

I was disappointed to learn that the credit card machine was not working upon arrival. Even more so that both the woman at the front desk and the manager were not willing in any way to accommodate or help me as a solo traveler in a strange country, who was happy to support their local business. They were not able to charge the remaining balance my card, or offer a refund for my deposit. Also, the atmosphere of the hostel was very loud all through the night.

The staff can be hit or miss. They'll always answer your questions but rarely with a smile. The showers are hot, which is a plus. It's location is fine. There is no communal kitchen but there are places to get food nearby. It does have a bar and restaurant but the prices are a bit more. I haven't opted for one of their day excursions but they do offer them. It's good for a night or two, no more than that. The biggest drawback is that they blast music in their common area.

Super loud. Music plays until midnight and you can hear anyone and everyone's voice everywhere. Walls are super thin and tin roof. Trucks, buses and motorcycles all night long! Shower lost water pressure and only suggestion, by staff, was to fond another shower station with pressure. Rooms are teeny tiny. No accessible kitchen to prepare/store own food. Felt as if my whole body was assaulted by the mattress' springs.

Wifi was very bad!!!

• 16th Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

They had a lot of computers to use free of charge. Otherwise the place was not very good. The mattresses were horrible, the pool was dirty and there was no atmosphere. One guy at the reception was really rude and seemed like it was a burden to help us. I guess if there were more people the atmosphere could have been okay.

We were highly disappointed with our stay at Pangea! It started off with a fake pickup at the airport; some random guy imitated the pickup shuttle from Pangea! When we arrived at Pangea the guy at the reception was mad at us, did not even say hello and blamed us for taking a "wrong" Shuttle! We had to pay another pickup-fee! Shower was not working. Bar staff was unfriendly. Tourist Information was not helpfull at all. Would not recommend a stay- so far worst hostel in Costa Rica!

• 14th Feb 2015

Wifi great! They are only really focussed on making money. Friend told the grumpy bartender that 3$ quite expensive is for a beer and somewhere else it should not cost more than 2. Bartender answered: shhht, dont tell Anyone. Too defensive and not friendly. Food was really good but also quite expensive. And not allowed to drink or eat your own drinks/food in de bar, which is the main common room. Rooms really clean and enough bathrooms, with hot water!!!

The only things we liked about Hostel Pagea was it's location, the rooftop restaurant, and the fact that it had a swimming pool. However, we would probably not stay here again. Their customer service was terrible - very unhelpful and almost rude. My husband and I shared a private room. We were not given a top sheet for our bed, when many of the other rooms had one. We were happy they had warm water in the showers, but it turned cold after about 3-4 minutes and lost pressure soon after that.

• 13th Feb 2015

Great hostel! Bathrooms were really clean and had a fun cool design. Pool area and bar were awesome. There were hammocks that looked over a beautiful view of the city. A little trouble getting there from the bus station but that was our own fault and not the hostels! If you are planning to take public transit from the airport make sure you know where you are going!

• 10th Feb 2015

Outside on the terace the atmosphere and ambiente was great, but once you got into your room you feel like being in a prison cell. Nothing else but a bed and a trash... Definitely too expensive!!

• 7th Feb 2015
  • Switzerland

Fantastic hostel! The staff were so friendly and accommodating! So helpful and answered all of our (many) questions. Great location and security- very close to the centre. Clean, comfortable beds. The bar and access to Internet was great too! Overall, highly recommended!