Hostel Pangea Reviews

Barrio Amon Ave 7 st.3-3bis, Barrio Amon Ave.11 st 3bis, San Jose, Costa Rica

The staff of the reception was not always very sympathic and comprehensive. They charged 2 times my payment because I had no cash when I arrived (by night) in Costa Rica- in order to accept I pay in cash on the morning. Rooms are very basic and there was only 1 sheet on the bed and a cover. The place is very noisy, impossible to talk with other people at the bar-restaurant because of the hyper strong music. But facilities where great and they don't charged my son for the shuttle to the airport.

• 22nd Feb 2014

I stayed here only one night. worked for me!

Good place.

terrible beds, not very clean bedsheets but otherwise clean toilets and shower. nice bar area with nice view but lots of noise until very late.

Room felt like dingy cells with too small curtains (didn't block the light), scratchy blanket, no bed sheet. And cockroaches. Walls paper thin - noise very big issue. Food good but overpriced. Reception staff grumpy, rigid, unprofessional (couldn't find our reservation). Bartenders friendly but extremely slow. Lame music. Cool art. Some aspect of security overemphasized while others disregarded (ie bag storage - no supervision/records). Unnecessary charges for everything. Would never go back.

• 18th Feb 2014

Very dark rooms (at least on the floor where I have been), my room actually didn't have any real window, just a hole on the ceiling. And an other window on the door looking to the corridor, so the private room didn't feel private at all. The bar is nice to have, and the location is very central. They can also arrange for shuttles but as I later learned they are quite expensive compared to other options.

Common areas are great, rooms are a little sad. The wifi barely worked at all, especially in the rooms! I stayed here twice for 1 night each time. The first time the 'window' in the room opened onto the bar, so it was a bit noisy until they shut off the music. The second time our room had only 1 outlet for 6 people. Good: hot water, computers for use, Great food (but a bit pricey even for Costa Rica)

• 16th Feb 2014

Good secured place on walking distance from the center and busstations. Although the area is not so safe in the dark, be aware of that. Clean facilties and nice rooftopterrace with bar and restaurant. The hostel is big so don't expect an atmosphere where everybody talks to eachother and everybody knows eachother.

• 16th Feb 2014

The hostel staff were very helpful, and the shuttle from the airport ran smoothly. The hostel is in a dead part of town. The external security was very good, but the door to the room was a joke, rotting. The room had nothing in it other than bunk beds. The room was cold at night, and there were no blankets. Towels were not included in the price. The wifi didn't work. The bar and restaurant on the top floor looked promising, but I didn't have any of the food, and the drinks were watered down.

dirty room. hairs in beds and pillows person at the reception was not friendly at all.

• 12th Feb 2014

-Dorms only -weak myfi that only works when it wants to -ONE toilet each for Males and Females in a hostel -$15 per load of laundry -curfew -rude desk staff, especially the owner.

We stop every time we go thru San Jose! The security is amazing and the rooms are really nice, especially the suites! Good food too!

• 4th Feb 2014

It's more for young people and you should say that music is loud until 11 PM

• 1st Feb 2014

This wasn't a typical hostel. While there is a restaurant with seemingly reasonable prices there is no kitchen for you to cook food. The area seemed too dangerous at night to leave. This is a great spot for one or two nights while you're in transit to another city or country. The airport shuttle was incredibly convenient and the staff was helpful. I would stay here again but only for 1 night.

• 30th Jan 2014

Some staff were not that friendly, but it depends on who you meet. It can very loud at night, because many are partying.

Our room had mildew and the smell was aweful.

• 29th Jan 2014

We got in after midnight and had a private room, the room is nice but not worth it when the rest of the hotel is pretty slummy. I wouldn't go here again although I was grateful for a place to stay. We had to leave at 7:30 am, breakfast is at 7 but it's Tico time so no coffee ready by the time we had to go. Did I pay $60 for this? Ouch.

The music from the bar was very loud and made it difficult to get a good nights rest.

1 2 3 4 Next » last »