Hostel Papaya Getsemani Reviews

Calle del Pozo 28-36, Barrio Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

The hostel is located in very safe area, only a few walking minutes away from the Walled Town. The staff is really friendly helpful and attentive, though some of them are not fluent in English The only thing we've missed during our stay was a pool or something like that to cool down, since Cartagena is really hot in the daytime.

Don't be fooled by the alluring pictures of hostel papaya. This place is the worst place I've stayed at while travelling if possible 100% avoid, there is no fun and they will stop anything progressing. The staff are rude and will always try to rip you off, the night guard was unresponsive leaving me and my friends waiting outside for over 20 minutes. It is also far more expensive than neighbouring hostels, I am entirely unsure how this place got such high ratings but definitely go elsewhere.

There's air con in the rooms starting at 9 which is so cold and so nice! The breakfast in the mornings are actually quite good and the staff are very friendly. It's centrally located and area feels safe day and night.

Booked for 2 nights but was delayed, I emailed early that morning to let them know with no reply. Upon arrival we were told we wouldn't have to pay for the missed night, but couldn't check in until 1. When we came back later at they told us we did have to pay for the previous night, despite not allowing us to our beds or breakfast. I understand the cancellation policy but there was a huge communication breakdown. During checkout I left my bag in reception and someone took it to the port.

This hostel has absolutely no atmosphere. It was impossible to meet anyone and the staff was rude, unless you spoke Spanish. No one ever said when the free breakfast went to and when I attempted to ask the staff I was stared at and then dismissed. In 4 days I only ever managed to get one breakfast despite Spanish speaking customers able to get it each time. The rooms are tiny and they have three tiered bunks so no privacy. There is no help with things to do in Cartagena. Would not return!

The location is really good but also with it being a good location, it gets loud at night. The breakfast includes eggs which is always a nice change from just the bread and butter. The dorm rooms are very small but the lockers are pretty large. The larger dorms have triple bunks and the middle one is at a right angle which I didn't like. Overall book this for the location as it's right across from plaza trinidad.

Only thing that would make this hostel better is having a pool for the heat. Seriously this is one of the best hostels I have stayed in Colombia. It is perfect. The breakfast is great, the dorms are great, the wifi is great, the lounge area is great, the location is great and the staff is beyond amazing. They let me leave my big bag there while I went to Playa Blanca for 2 days. The neighborhood it's located in was my fav in Cartagena w/ tons of street art and cheap street food.

No computers and slow Wifi. The cleaning staff are rude sometimes. Overall, it was a good hostle.

Well located next to the bustling Trinidad plaza where something interesting always seems to be happening. Short walk to the fortress and the other parts of the old town. Not a party hostel, but has a central courtyard where guests congregate, so it's easy to meet people. The hostel it's self is small and cozy, with helpful and friendly staff. Hot and tasty breakfast. Very clean rooms and bathrooms. Only complaint the bad water pressure in the back bathroom and the weird triple triple bunkbeds.

• 26th Jun 2015

The rooms were very clean, and not too tight. The bathrooms seem new and very clean... There isn't really any hot water, but you don't usually want/need it with the heat. AC comes on at 9pm, which is a lifesaver in the heat. Breakfast is average (some days better than others), but it's included in the price of the room, so no complaints! Laundry service was quick, and nice. Common spaces are nice - they were showing all the Copa America games. The location is excellent - short walk to old town.

• 19th Jun 2015

A bit overpriced considering the size of the dorms, but a great hostel overall.

Nice little hostel!

Air con is a life saver and the building is lovely. The people at reception are lovely but the breakfast lady is not so friendly. Breakfast is included but not very good. The rooms are a little bit of a squeeze but the bathrooms are nice and modern.

Spankingly clean hostel. Really cute courtyard in the middle and great showers. 6 beds are a bit cramped but all comfortable and clean. Would stay here again.

We booked two nights here, and ran into trouble with our connecting flight. We immediately notified them we'd miss our first night. This isn't the first travel snafu in our almost five months of travel in SA, but it was the first time we were charged for the complete value of the no show, (and no, it was not booked solid) and we weren't offered a credit. It was cute, albeit cramped, the 6 bedroom dorm was set up a little awkwardly but the ac was a lifesaver at night!

Nice small quiet hostel in a great location in the middle of Getsemani. Rooms are very small but clean and with a locker for your bag. Very friendly staff. Don't expect any entertainment in the hostel itself, but you will find plenty of that in the surrounding area. The square in front of the church is great for eating, drinking and people watching.

Really enjoyed our stay and the staff were really helpful.

Awesome location, right near the Plaza de la Trinidad which regularly has a street party every night (super fun and budget friendly!) the staff were super lovely, although they spoke mostly Spanish only they were still really helpful even though we had a hard time communicating. Breakfast is something different everyday and includes some fruit and coffee. The rooms are well kept and air con at night was amazing. Good value for money, all in all!

I would stay in this amazing place again. Great staff, the guests are mostly end 20 / beginning 30 and if you want to party the main places are very close.

Superb location and very friendly and welcoming staff! 6 dorm room has 3 beds above eachother with the middle bed at a 90 degree angle. Nice open courtyard and another relaxed lounge area. Breakfast is included and when I was there this was papaya, sausage with onion-tomato sauce, arepa and coffee/thee.

• 30th Mar 2015