Hostel Papaya Getsemani Reviews

Calle del Pozo 28-36, Barrio Getsemani, Cartagena, Colombia

I booked here because of the great ratings and it was close to a 2 week gig I had in Cartagena. the place was dirty, after reading reviews of the 6 bed dorm, I opted for a 4 bed one - the bed was about 6 feet off the ground. There was no room to move. The dirty fan in the room blew hot air around - the AC it was okay. I checked out after one day even though I lost my deposit and paid $50 USD/ 1 night. Go to El Viajero Hostel. It is clean and wonderful and the staff is friendly and helpful

• 14th Sep 2014

overall, I left disappointed. Pros: clean, good location for young hipster types, beautifully decorated hostel Cons: The hostel came across as cheap; no soap in bathrooms or kitchen, no hand towels and often no toilet paper. Stingy with A/C. The staff , (with the exception of one nice woman) was LOUD at odd hours of the night and incredibly unhelpful. They made you feel like you were staying at your grandma's house and don't touch anything. Didn't feel welcome to use the kitchen ect. not good

• 17th Aug 2014

Hello Emily, We are very sorry to hear you found all these problems in our hostel because our goal is to make you feel like home. It would be very helfull if you could give us more details about the staff. We are working in improve all these matters. Best regards. Laura Herrera

Very pleasant stay. 6 bed dorm beds are a bit of a Jenga set up, but not too cramped. Aircon is great at night. Staff were lovely.

Well-placed hostel right off Plaza de la Trinidad. Decent price, good breakfast, quick laundry service, and more than anything else, lovely staff. The girl who worked the day shift went out of her way to help - it makes such a difference to the ambiance of a hostel.

Really nice to have aircon, Cartagena is unbearably hot and humid.

Great, great location. Great staff. Nice home-cooked breakfast.

The hostel itself was average - nice atmosphere, great location, but the room was small with triple bunks, nowhere for bags and only 2 outlets, and only 2 showers in the hostel. But what really ruined it was the staffer who gave us really bad information about our booked bus to Santa Marta, a combination of ignorance and flat-out lies that caused us to miss our bus and derailed our plans. And then I couldn't cancel my second stay because there's an incredible 4-day cancellation policy!

• 30th Jul 2014

Great location especially if you're learning Spanish at Nueva Lengua which is on the same street and the food at Plaza de la Trinidad is AWESOME. I would stay in the 4 person room instead of the 6 person room - the 6 person room looks like two extra beds may have been force-fitted into the room and there's definitely not enough space in the room, on the floor for 6 people and their belongings. Otherwise, breakfast is great and changes every morning.

nice hostel, breakfast included-toast, eggs, coffee. ac is effective for the night. big area to chill, price a little too high.

Had to make a last minute reservation in Cartagena and chose Hostel papaya. Although it is quite a bit pricier than other places, it was totally worth the money. I felt like I went back home for a night. Rooms were spectacularly clean, the bathroom and shower were very clean! I didn't spend much time socializing in the hostel but there were definitely people in the yard hanging out. Staff was amazing, so helpful and kind and I got my laundry done for cheap. Definitely staying there again!

• 16th Jul 2014

Definitely in need of a water pressure pump for the showers and fans in the kitchen & bathrooms, but the rest was quite enjoyable.Having a different breakfast every day is nice, thanks. Tip: get a fantastic burger for cop5500 at the street stall meters away from the door.

Great hostel with only a handful of rooms. Rooms are cozy but well equipped and bathrooms and communal areas are excellent. Breakfast better than most in Colombia. Only negative is security. They have a security gate but don't use it and someone walked right past the front desk and stole a guest's mobile. They did not seem to be too concerned about the incident and were slow to react.

Its a really good hostel , the staff was absolutely great and helped me out a lot. The location is nice, a little bit away from the tourism in the historic centre with a really cool square close by. It wasn't however the most sociable hostel, as someone travelling alone it was too quite. Also, I can imagine the dorms will get crowded when full.

I was in a 6 bed dorm (I would avoid, if you get the middle bunk you have to share head space with someone else). Fortunately as my locker had no key I got to change rooms to the 5 bed dorm. I would definitely go with this option, I don't remember if it is more expensive but it is definitely worth any price increase (within reason) if it is; if not then no problem. Kitchen was good, had the usual stuff and plenty of fridge space. Bathrooms are excellent, always clean. Would recommend.

Great location. Great service. Good price. Cartagena is hot and the hostel only puts the AC on at night but it was ok once we got used to the heat. Good location for the main square and bars. Dull city in general. Best by far of the cartagena options.

Solid hostel in Getsemani, which is about a ten-minute walk from the historic center. Helpful staff.

It completed our experience in Cartagena. Would totally do this hostel again.

• 17th Jun 2014
  • Mexico

Very nice hostel with helpfull staff! Good location and very clean.

• 15th Jun 2014

This is a nice hostel but, like lots of things in Cartagena, is massively overpriced. It's a 5 minute walk to the old walled town, has nice beds, good breakfast and air con (which is important for a good night's sleep in Cartagena). In the 6 bed dorm 2 of the beds are perpendicular to the bunks and come between the top and bottom bunks which make it a bit crowded. Quite a good hostel just way too expensive.

I enjoyed my stay at the hostel. It wasn't very busy at that moment and I was so lucky and had the dorm on my own for a couple nights. If it would be full, the rooms are a bit small. It has air-con during night, which is very important in Cartagena and it is clean. I liked the breakfast, Doris prepared every morning something different. And the guy who works at night is also super friendly and helpful.