Hostel Porto do Sol Reviews

Rua Mariante, 958, Porto Alegre, Brazil

Although the weather was freezing cold and rainy (which the hostel cannot help) the lack of any sort of heating in the place made it impossible to stay in. I repeatedly told the staff we were cold but they insisted on leaving doors and windows open making it very very uncomfortable. . Rooms were ok, very clean, but nothing much to this hostel. Also having the mens bathroom outside is ridicolous, its a long walk from the bedrooms to the bathroom and in winter itd be freezing to have a shower!

A comfortable hostel. Was a bit unlucky with rude inconsiderate roommates, so didn't get much sleep - but that's just my stay, not the hostel. Good facilities, wifi, etc, fairly comfortable beds, a friendly atmosphere, and a good location make this a decent place to stay. Staff are very friendly, though if you don't speak Portuguese or Spanish, it could be difficult for you. Sure you'd get by, though - they're friendly and helpful regardless, and I witnessed non-native speakers doing alright!

Atmosphere was extremely awkward - just a bunch of older people who couldn't afford hotels in the city, so they went there to save money. Beds were really comfortable. I was there during low season, so can't tell how the peak season is like.

Excellent place to stay.

The staff was really kind, but other than that, this hostel does not stand out in any other way. Rooms could be cleaner and are somewhat noisy because of the proximity to the street.

• 26th Apr 2014
  • Colombia
  • All Male Group, 25-30

This is my second time staying here. I like it very much.

Thanks, Its a pleasure to have you with us!! Best Regards Caroline

I chose this hostel as the only 1 with directions from bus station! Nice, basic hostel. Great for Spanish/ Portuguese speakers but not for English speakers/ Europeans as you will be poss the only one... Staff are nice enough. There's one non-English speaker (fair enough, it's brazil, just a slight shock as this was the first time for me) but she tried very hard to help and looked up words. Location okay-walkable (15 mins to party area; 30 to touristy). Nice free dinner my first night!

Caroline is vry nice, but the woman that works at night isn't,

A nice place to stay !

Good place, easy to get to, a little far from the city center but for the price we couldn´t complain

The staff was super nice and helpful. They lent us umbrellas, because we didn't bring any. The breakfast was great. Every day fresh fruits. The bathrooms could be a bit bigger, but they were clean. There is not much water coming out of the shower, but also not a big deal!! There are supermarkets and bus stations nearby! In total a great place to stay and I would definitely stay there again!

The staff was friendly enough and the bed was comfortable but the bathrooms were tiny and a bit awkward to use. The hostel was clean but somehow looked like it wasn't. Definitely only a hostel for a short stopover on your way somewhere else.

I was only on a stop over in Porto Alegre before heading to Montevideo so only had one night here, but the rooms were very noisy as the hostel is on the main road, they had all the windows open throughout the hostel which made it very cold. Breakfast was ok and location close to the bus station which is good. The owner and hostel workers were very friendly and helpful.

The service is excellent. Fresh fruit and fresh-baked bread are for breakfast. The owner couple are very friendly. One day I asked the wife where she got the bread. She told me her mother baked it. I asked for the recipe. The next day her mother came to the hostel before she went to work to show me how to bake the bread step by step.

Thank you for your welcom ! It was a great stay.

This place is fine if you just stay there for one night while heading elsewhere. There is nothing going one in that hostel but the place is clean so perfect for having a travelling break.

I had problems with my locker keys, other than that a good value for money.

Hostel was nice, the rooms were hot and stuffy. The wifi is good and there is a kitchen to use The big negative point for myself was the bathroom, it was extremely cramped. It´s ok for a stop over.

Hostel Porto do Sol is excellent value for money. The hostel is based very close to the centre and is walking distance to most of the cities main attractions. The staff are very helpful and relaxed. The facilities are good with warm showers, pull table, outside bbq and friendly house cat. I have a very relaxing stay and made lots of new friends. Thanks for everything!

Thanks James. Hope you are fine. Have a good time and see you. Regards Carol, Thiago, João, Ariane and Nathalia.

I wish this hostel had more bathrooms. One thing inconvenient about the hostel is that the men's bathrooms are only downstairs, even though most of the bed spaces are on the second floor. Getting to the toilet and showers always proved a bit of a trek. The included breakfast was average--breads, granolas, coffe, yogurts, and mate, a signature of Brazil's deep South. They could use serving a bit more protein, like eggs, with the breakfast, even if this meant charging just slightly more per night

• 7th Apr 2012