Hostel Pousada Pais Tropical Reviews

Largo do Pelourinho 7, Salvador, Brazil

The internet is not working in rooms, the cleanliness is not the best but the oberall is pretty find

We got a twinroom that was small, dark and only having ventillation to small interior courtyard. I wouldn't really mind but there was an unbearable smell in our private bathroom, don't know why and that made our room stinky too..We had no toilet paper, had to ask for it. No soap either. The breakfast quite poor. Otherwise very central location and nice reception area with library.

The location is great. Unfortunately that is the only good thing to say. We arrived at an iron doorway with no indication of how to get in (we had just walked a long way with heavy bags and were exhausted). The whole hostel was very dark and dirty, our room had an extremely loud fan you couldn't switch off, and the mattress was literally paper thin. We didn't get a wink of sleep. The breakfast was terrible and the staff were useless. DO NOT STAY HERE.

Great location, around in the room) good breakfast ~rooms are decent albeit crammed (I'd prefer dorms with more than 4 beds in favor of being able to turn - not much of a hostel atmosphere/ opportunity to meet people - restricted access to kitchen making it difficult to cook yourself - staff members don't seem to communicate you were constantly sent from one person to the next to get questions answered or had all staff members ask you the same questions

Nice colourful pousada with perfect location in the pelourinho. The staff is friendly and helpful!! Only negative point is the taxi-transfer from the airpoirt that is more expensive than a normal taxi and the taxidriver arrived late both times we used the service. The cleanliness could be really better, especially in the bathroom. Internet works really good in the first floor where there are also computers at disposition.

the hostel is located in pelourinho, the downtown of Salvador, u can see this part of the city in a couple of hours, u´d better book in barra, where are the best clubs and restaurants

Great hostel, however bathrooms need a refresh !

• 25th Aug 2013

Nice hostel, I found it lacks a bit of atmosphere in terms of meeting people and so on, but maybe I was just there at the wrong time. Good service. It's not a super safe location, but if you're going to stay at Pelourinho you should know this.

I would highly recommend this place. The staff is extremely nice and cooperative. They break fast is really good for the price they charge. Great location with very high security. It is open 24 hrs and they even arranged a cab for me at 3 am. I'm glad I stayed here. Hardik Vira from Toronto, Canada

• 14th Jul 2013
  • India

Really friendly staff and an amazing location combined with a very good value for money deal. Nice Hostel and we had a great stay!

Staff and location are superb. Only problem I had is I wanted a private double room, and when they saw it was just for me, they stuck me in a tiny dorm with two bunk bed (costing the same price). Not sure why they did that. Matresses were rubber and no air con :S Other than that it's fine for a night or two.

• 8th Apr 2013

reservation has been made ​​to -2 Bed Private Room (2 bunk bed). So we gave room in accordance with reservation. This room is turned into private in the low season and the prise for 2 people it is nearly the same sao the prise in the collective room. advice - please read the descriptions carefully before hiring the room. mattresses were covered with as many people complained about their appearance

Great hostel with a friendly, trustworthy and helpful staff. The room was good for two people, had air-conditioner, a TV and a good bathroom. The only thing I actually didn't like concerning the bedroom was the fact it had no windows, though it was not a big problem. I would certainly recommend País Tropical to fellow visitors of Salvador/Pelourinho.

A proprietária é uma polonesa muito simpatica!

• 4th Mar 2013

My stay at this hostel was medioca at best. The hostel is quite dark and dingy, with the dorm rooms looking like corridors with beds in. The breakfast was poor in comparison to the rest of Brazil, they still had ham and cheese but it was of such poor quality I didn't want to eat it. Most annoying they don't supply maps, which is an important security thing and the beds, that you make yourself, are old and dirty. I'd rather they had made my bed so I wouldn't have to see the filthy mattress.

• 28th Feb 2013

If someone does not like the place where it stops should write about it and do not post thing that are not true. Our hostel is clean and breakfast are good. Every day in the morning our worker cleaning all collective rooms, hallways, bathrooms, reception and the kitchen. Dormitorium rooms are small but it is presented on 2 pictures so who make a reservation all know how the room looks beds in the collective rooms are not made. To every visitor gets we give the clean sheets and he has to prepare his bed. if this is a problem for someone I recommend to rent a private room which is a higher standard, and where the beds are made Salvador maps are available in turistic informasion which is located 2 minutes from our hostel.

Stayed here during Carnival and was the perfect location. Anna is super friendly and helps with what ever you need. rooms are small and hot with only a small fan to cool them down. Not really a common room to just chill and hang out.

Staff and location are great but the room where I stayed had a very strange smell and the bathroom looks pretty disgusting. Mattresses and pillows also need to be replaced. I would expect more from a hostel aimed to host international travelers..

We have a new person to clean up and pay more attention to the cleanliness of the hostel.

Located right on Largo to Pelourinho, this is a fantastic base for a stay in Salvador. But despite the awesome location, the place is lacking - the double rooms (at least the one we had) have no windows and a halfway-broken fan, making the heat unbearable. And somehow, mosquitoes were everywhere. While the owners of the place were away on holiday, the staff was as friendly and helpful as possible, though they mostly speak only Portuguese, and breakfast was decent as well.

When you choos a room you need to read a description. in the case of a room it is written that the room has no windows and it is ventylator. it is naot write nofing about the fanin the room. now all who work at the resepsion speak anglish.

It was a very nice stay in this Hostel. Nice People and good breakfast. Perfect Location!!!

the best hostel in salvador. localization excellent center of old town. Atmosphere like in your own house. If you go to Salvador must slep in pousada pais tropical

• 27th Nov 2012
  • Poland

The hostel staff is very unorganized and not consistant about cleaning the facilities. Although the owner is friendly, he does not always seem to know what is going on, I had to switch rooms 3 times because they overbooked the rooms. Facilities were not cleaned daily which resulted in a pretty terribly oder throughout the hostel. The area also isn't the safest at night.

• 16th Nov 2012

I'm sorry but you came to our hostel at the worst time. Me - Anna Managing the work of all on 11 November I went to the Poland arrange things important personal matters. At the same time we was looking for a new good cleaning person. fortunately we were able to find new good people and I'm back I'm in hostel

« first « Prev 1 2 3