Hostel River Reviews

Cernicka 12, Plzen, Czech Republic

There were not many options for accommodation in my pricerange available and for the price (low) the quality of hostel was appropriate (low). The rooms and facilieties were not unclean per say, but the whole building seemed worn and showing a lot of makeshift repairs. Would not recomend for anyone who can afford better.

At the Hostel River you get what you pay for. Unlike many of the other reviews I've read about this hostel, I had no issues with the staff being absent. In fact - Pavel was very accommodating and ready to help with any questions I had about the city. The only problem I had was the lack of hot water in the shower. Overall, I enjoyed my stay here!

As can be seen in earlier reviews, check-in was a problem. When I arrived at 5:30 pm there was a note on the door that the owner would be back at 7, only after asking the pizza place next door he showed up at 7:30 - I've hardly seen him during my stay here. The facilities are ok, but the price is somewhat on the high side compared to other cities in the Czech Republic. The location is excellent though and I also got a bed in the 4-bed dorm despite booking a place in the 8-bed dorm :)

So you've read previous reviews about the check in. Well its OK, you ask next door and 5 mins later the staff are there - so its fine. My ississue was with the bathroom - it needs some renovation and more hot water!

This hostel is just average. It's in a good spot for Plzen. Close to the main road downtown, close-ish to the the brewery (all walkable). The staff was absolutely non-existent. If we hadn't run into other people, we would never have learned the trick: you need to bother the pizza place next door, who will call the owner, who will call a friend, who will finally let you inside the hostel. It was ridiculous. They were equally non-present for check-out, as well.

I went during weekdays, and it was quite dead, nobody at the hostel, not even from the staff during most part of the time... Maybe it's different on weekends...

Nice hostel close to a hip club "House of Blues", some sights of "European Capital of Culture" and a footwalk away from almost every important place in Pilsen downtown.

You definitely need to look at the shower as it is not working properly.