Hostel Ruthensteiner Vienna Reviews

Robert Hamerling Gasse 24, 1150 Vienna, Vienna, Austria

Great hostel! Friendly staff and we met some fun people in at the hostel bar. Location is a bit far from the city centre. We stayed in a private twin room without bathroom. The room was clean and nice. Very small though and a little noisy (we could hear our neighbours talk) The bed was nice. Downstairs is a common room were guests can sit and talk, have a drink and play some music. I really enjoyed that!

THANK YOU for your review, we're glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us! In defense of our LOCATION - there are no hostels in center city Vienna (the property values are too high for that). We are however around the corner from a major train and metro station, and the Old City Center and the palace Schönnbrunn (both World Heritage sites) are just a short metro ride or pleasant stroll away :). Thanks, and do come again!

Had a great stay here! Central location, met awesome travelers, and great atmosphere for hanging out, sharing stories, and meeting people.

Very friendly staff, very silent hostel

Most things OK except the cooking plates, which are way too weak. The location is pretty good for the price, with just a couple of kilometers to walk to the city center and attractions, but on the other side, there is a major train and metro station close to the hostel. Food can be shopped in nearby supermarkets in mariahilfestrasse if a kebap or noodles/sushi on the same street doesnt fall into taste. All in all a recommended place, will consider going to the same place if going to vienna again

• 17th Dec 2014
  • Sweden

Thanks for your review, we appreciate it! I'm sorry if the hotplates were giving you trouble - they usually work just fine, but I'll go take a peek at them and make sure they're in working order. All the best, and happy travelling!!!

Very beautiful common area, good atmosphere, with nice bar and musical instruments to play. Decent kitchen. Rooms were average comfort. Location was far from the city center - about 20 minute walk through a shopping district. Great place for meeting people.

Hi there, thank you for taking the time to review us! I'd just like to add a little something about that '20 minute walk', which leads you down the lovely Mariahilferstrasse shopping avenue: the 'Mahü' (as it's known to locals) is a beloved Viennese hang-out and mostly-car-free urban paradise, leading all the way from us to famous 'Ringstrasse' at the heart of Vienna... In short, the ''walk into the center'' is really a tourist attraction in and of itself :). Thanks, do come again soon!

Excellent hostel. Friendly and very helpful staff. Great bar for meeting people as a single traveller. If I am ever in Vienna again I will definitely be staying at Ruthensteiner.

Thanks so much for this great review - we'll look forward to your next visit!!!

Booked here a little last minute after other plans fell through, and I'm really glad I did. Location is a little far away from the shops and social areas, but really close to Wien HBF and public transit. Rooms were clean and open with large lockers for luggage storage. The front desk staff were friendly and helpful and gave me free apple cider. I would love to visit Vienna again, and if I do, I would definitely stay at Ruthensteiner again.

Hi there, we're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, and thank you for this lovely review! A few corrections: we're a few minutes walk from the WESTBAHNHOF (not the HBF, or Hauptbahnhof, which is about 15 minutes away by public transit). We're also just a few minutes walk from the lovely Mariahilferstrasse, Vienna's most popular shopping avenue, where there's shopping-a-plenty. Check it out on your next visit :)!

All perfect, great staff, efficient service, very clean room, very clean everything, swift wifi, superb atmosphere, ideal for young people to meet other young people and drink and have fun together:) Only drawback will be that it is a bit far away from the city center, though very convenient public transport to everywhere one wants to go, personally I'd prefer to walk to anywhere I want to go instead of taking metro.. In all a perfectly organized hostel. :)

Great hostel. Very helpful staff. Free use of computers. Good rooms. Good atmosphere to hang or and meet people. Location isn't too bad.. close to one of the main train stations. Would stay here again.

Thanks!!! Come back again soon! (ps - we're next to Westbahnhof, the western train station - but it's easy to get to us from any train station :).

The best hostel I ever was. The staff is nice, they help you with your questions. They have big lockers, so your stuff is safe. There is a nice commonroom, it is easily to meet other people. Next time in Vienna I go back to this hostel.

THANKS for your review - we'll look forward to your next visit!

I had a great time at Hostel Ruthensteiner! The people on the staff were so friendly and helpful, and the location was really convenient being so close to Westbahnhof. Breakfast was pretty basic, but really cheap and included Nutella which we all know is priceless. And the free coffee refills definitely kept me going all day walking around in Vienna! Thanks for a great weekend :)!

I'll send your comments on to Nutella, I'm sure they'll be pleased ;). THANKS for your review, and for your visit! Come back anytime- the free refills will be here for you!!!

We had a brilliant time here. One of the best hostels I have stayed in. The staff were fantastic and always there with good information and advice, very knowledgeable of the local area / public transport etc. We stayed in a double room with private bathroom which was nice but expensive for what it was. Cost us nearly 300 euros for 5 nights but the staff and service make up for it. Good location close to metro/train/trams. Nice chilled atmosphere, cool bar, good music. Would definitely go again.

• 10th Dec 2014

Thank you, we're so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay! If you would like to save a little money next time, consider one of our private rooms with shared bath/WC, or even beds in one of our smaller mixed dorms, they're very comfortable and a great place to meet new folks! Thanks again for taking the time to review us, and do come back soon!

The staffs are super nice. I forgot one of the staff names who is from Bosnia, but he helped me and talked with me on organizing routes and places to visit in Eastern Europe. Location is in a bit shady area behind not so nice street according to a local. Nice small bars and chilling place to play piano and guitar. One complaint is that they don't have ladder or bedrail, so you have to climb up on a chair and to bed, hoping to not fall from the top bunk.

Very kind and efficiant staff. Genereous and beautiful people speaking different languages (that helps!) Thanks.

You're welcome!!! Thanks for your review, and come again soon!

This place was a good find, the kitchen is probably the best I've seen at a hostel so far. It's a bit of a walk to the centre of town but super close to the main train station. The common areas were great for chilling out and meeting people too!

We love our kitchen - THANK YOU for the compliment! We'll look forward to your next visit!

We had great time at Hostel Ruthensteiner! The staff is amazing, it is not one of these hostels where you are only a customer, they remember you at Ruthensteiner a help you with everything you need. I have been in a few hostels and this is winner!

Thank you so much!!! Come back and see us again soon!

Very close to train station! Easy to get into town, night life is blah. Beds are creaky as ever. Must use earplugs! You can't sit up AT ALL from bottom bunk. Staff is excellent and helpful and all around lovely.

Hey there, thanks for taking the time to write a review! I am SO SORRY to hear that your nighttime-experience was 'blah' - both before and after bedtime, from what it sounds like ;). Thank you for the feedback - we've already tightened up the joints on your bunk - and next time be sure to ask us for Vienna-After-Dark tips, trust me there's PLENTY to explore! Thanks again, and happy travelling!!!

Great staff.

This hostel was great! The staff was super friendly and easily got me taken care of when I arrived and provided lots of city info. I was in the 8-bed room and they enough space, were clean, and personal lockers to lock up your stuff which was the first time I've seen that and made me feel really safe with my stuff. It's located right near a metro station. I highly recommend staying in this hostel, I experienced no issues.

• 5th Dec 2014

Very lovely hostel in a good location for transportation to the airport and across the city by metro. Close to lots of good, cheap restaurants. Near to Schonbrunn Palace and the main pedestrian street with lots of shops. There is tea when you check in along with all of the amenities you could need. Feels more like a B&B than a hostel. Will definitely go back if staying in Vienna again.

Wow, thank you so much for this lovely review! We'll look forward to your next visit - come back this summer and try our homemade Elderflower Lemonade, it's just as awesome as our spiced-apple-tea ;). Until then, happy travelling!!!