Hostel Ruthensteiner Reviews

Robert Hamerling Gasse 24, 1150 Vienna, Vienna, Austria

I've been staying in hostels for a long time, and this might easily have been the greatest hostel... ever.

Wow, now THAT'S a compliment! Thank you so much, and DO COME BACK!!!

Easy to find. Good transport. Hostel staff were friendly but didnt give much advice on where to go, But a local bar full of english 50m from hostel which is not really why I went to vienna as I have those at home..25min walk down highstreet to get to real Vienna But plenty of back streets. The toilet seat was dirty whole time we were there and wasnt cleaned next to room but just used another.room spotless, however really tiny. I also emailed before I got there. Got no responce. Shame.

Thank you so much for your review! I’m so sorry to hear that you weren’t satisfied with your stay. We usually try to respond to emails right away, and to keep all parts of our house spotlessly clean. Helping guests to explore Vienna by providing the best information and advice possible is also a top priority around here. I promise, should you decide to come visit us again, you can expect much better service! Thanks again, and happy travelling!

This hostel is a blast! In general, European hostels are not cheap, but what you get for your money here is stunning. Clean and big rooms, free and fast wifi. Awesome and cheap breakfast and a cozy bar / common area. Even the kitchen is clean! The whole hostel gives you a feeling of traditional Austria in a modern way. Lot of wood and soul inside of this hostel. And it is still in "western" walking distance to the centre. I would always come back, when I'm in Vienna. Keep on the good work.

What a lovely review, thanks!!! Please come back and visit us anytime!

Very friendly staff members, super close to the station, and a clean place with a cozy common area with a piano that lots of people play =)

It's a very good Hostel, very clean and safe, has a nice bar, people were cool and it's near the subway. The only problem is the Wifi. It's not so good and works poorly in the rooms.

I was most impressed by the staff, who were very friendly and approachable. They were very kind and compassionate as they let me move into my room early and take a nap after a sleepless night bus ride. They also helped me find a doctor to have my stitches taken out. The hostel was very clean and even the cleaning staff were kind. There must be good management because the staff seemed happy to be working there. Thank you so much! Lovely place :)

I was very impressed with Hostel Ruthensteiner. It was quite easy to find from the train and metro stations, and once we got there the staff were extremely welcoming. Even though some of our booking didn't go through, they were very accommodating. The room itself was clean, only complaint was that the wifi didn't work in our room. But the staff were great and gave us great recommendations for affordable Austrian food and the best routes to get to some of the sights.

• 8th Mar 2014

This place was pretty OK. It's a really big hostel, which I didn't realize from the description, and the atmosphere is much less cozy than I generally go for. Definitely harder to meet people than most places I've stayed. The cleaning lady also loudly bursts into the rooms at like 9AM every morning and wakes you up. It's good for a cheap place to stay, but the feel of the place is not something I'd write home about. Stay here if you like big hostels that feel more like hotels impersonally.

Thank you for your review! I apologize for our overly enthusiastic cleaning crew. ''Bursting'' into rooms at 9AM is inexcusable, and they've promised to hold themselves back from now on! As for our lack of atmosphere, did you visit any of our common areas? Our guests often meet while cooking in our communal kitchen, or over a beer in our cozy bar, or playing our musical instruments together in the common room. I hope you can come back one day and get to know our place better!

A really good place. Although I didn't think the stay was extraordinary, there were no inconveniences or unpleasant experiences at all, which is awesome considering the fact that I'm talking about a hostel.

I think this is the best hostel I've ever stayed in - friendly and helpful staff, nice atmosphere and location, no need to pay for anything extra (linen, towels, wi-fi - everything included in price...)...

Wow, I'm very glad you had such a nice time here, I hope you can come back for another visit! Spring, for example, is a GREAT time to visit Vienna, with the sunny weather and the easter markets - that's also when our hostel gardens start to bloom :). Thanks so much for taking the time to review us!

Great staff and it was nice to have a bar in the hostel to grab some drinks.

Only here 2 days but I liked it. Very clean, stayed in the single bed room and it was very nice and good price, bigger hostel, a bit impersonal but not impossible to meet other travellers. Staff is okay for info, but maybe could know more than just the typical tourist sights. Breakfast is definitely overpriced but that was my only major issue. Wasn't here long enough to get a great feel for the place, but I enjoyed my short time here. I think it'd be alright for most travellers.

Thanks so much for your review! I do hope you can come back someday and spend a bit more time with us. After enjoying an improv jam session in the common room (guests love to play our piano, ukulele, guitar, bongo drums, etc.), and/or spending an an evening making new friends in our cozy bar, you might not think of our hostel as ''impersonal'' any more! All the best, and happy travelling!

This was a great hostel , free computers, printing and bedding , great kitchen good bar and easy to meet people . Great value for money !

Very low bunk beds! I don't know why it frustrates me when I can't sit up on the bottom bunk

We really liked our stay in the hostel! It is very clean with very friendly staff. The only disavantage can be that the rooms are quite small and we had a lot of noise from the toilet in the corridor. But overall we were very happy with this hostel.

• 6th Feb 2014
  • Belgium

Nice atmosphere.. Friendly staff...met a lot of cool and interestingpeople...

This hostel was welcoming from the moment you walked through the door. Unlike a chain hostel, Ruthensteiner had a homely feel and had all the facilities to make it feel that way.. a great kitchen, laundry and musical instruments to play as well. It seemed to be family friendly, and wasn't a party hostel, but it definitely had great common room areas to meet new people and enjoy a drink from their bar.

The complementary sandwich :) Good: - The location of the hostel is great. Only 5 minutes walking distance to Westbahnhog. It took me an hour to get from the hostel to the airport (walking, u-bahn, cat). - The staff looks OK. They were very friendly and helpful. Bad: - Shower is useless. I had to keep pushing a button to keep the water running. - No soup or any shampoo in the bathroom of a private room. - No private lockers. I will not recommend it. Sorry guys.

Thank you so much for your review and for letting us know about these issues. I do wish you had spoken to us when you where here! When something is broken we usually fix it right away. Soap & shampoo are available for free at reception, and we have free lockers and safety deposit boxes. There's even a faster way to get to the airport - a direct bus from Westbahnhof - which we always recommend to guests. We are so sorry about the problems you had, and we wish you all the best for your travels!

Could have appreciated towels. I was staying there for one night in Vienna, I didn't feel I need to bring my own towel. But wasn't a big deal, would just be something to think about. Other than, Loved the place.

• 20th Jan 2014
  • Egypt

We're so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay - THANK YOU for your review! If you ever come to visit us again (and we hope you do!), feel free to leave your towel at home - you can always rent one from reception. Happy travelling!

Nice hostel, was a quiet part of the year in Vienna but staff were nice and there are good facilities, wish breakfast was included though!

Glad you enjoyed your time here! Sorry you were disappointed about breakfast - we've decided not to include breakfast in order to keep our prices down for guests who want to cook themselves. Instead we've invested in making our guest kitchen as lovely and useful as possible, including an outdoor barbecue for guest use in the summer :). Plus, I'd say our breakfast - at €2.50 to €3.50 + free refills for coffee-drinkers - is certainly on the affordable side! Thanks, do come again!

« first « Prev 1 2 3 4