Hostel Ruthensteiner Reviews

Robert Hamerling Gasse 24, 1150 Vienna, Vienna, Austria

Favourite hostel in all of Western Europe that we visited! I can't think of any negatives. Musical instruments available, awesome atmosphere, bike hire, big spacious facilities. I recommend this place definitely

Hostel location is perfect! The staff are amazing and will help you with any issue you have. Although we had none and we even were upgraded to a really cute private room with ensuite. One of their nicest rooms, apparently. We loved the lounge and spent ages playing the instrument each evening. Internet was fast and reliable. All in all a lovely stay.

Great hostel, easy to find with the provided directions. Great facilities and bar area. Kitchens were fantastic to cook in, and the hostel was very clean. Definitely recommended to others!

Everything works perfectly.

We stayed in the house across from the reception, and the wifi connection was rather unstable. other than that it was a very comfortable stay - the female dorm room was very quiet and tidy, and the shower the best I've seen in Europe so far. also the clean, white bed linens we received upon arrival made the bed very comfortable (no more allergies!). would definitely recommend this place to anyone visiting Vienna on a budget.

Hi, thanks for your comments! I'm sorry about the problems you had with the WiFi during your stay - the router in your building was giving us some problems at that time. It's now been replaced, and the WiFi is working perfectly everywhere! I'm very glad you enjoyed your stay otherwise - hope to see you here again one day!

Hostel Ruthensteiner was a great hostel. It was located very close to the metro station so it was easy to get around via metro but I definitely wouldn't recommend it if you prefer to be in walking distance to the center. The atmosphere was good, loved the bar that opened in the evening with a happy hour. It was also a very big hostel -- which sometimes made it hard to meet people. Also walking distance to shopping area and supermarkets and restaurants. Staff was pretty friendly. Big kitchen!

Really glad to here that you enjoyed your stay! In defense of our LOCATION - there are no hostels in center city Vienna (the property values are simply too high for that), so right next to a major train station ain't bad - not to mention that we are located right between the Old City Center (20 mins away by foot, or a quick subway ride) and the palace Schönnbrunn (15 mins walk or a few minutes on the tram), both World Heritage sites and the two most important attractions in Vienna :).

Very kind & friendly staff.

Excellent place to stay. Very friendly and helping staff. Like the fact that there are many different music instruments (piano! guitar, ukulele, acadion!). U could also rent bikes from the hostel which is very convenient compared to the city bikes provided (like in every other cities prior registration is required before renting the bikes). The only thing to improve is the breakfast. The price does not match with the (lowest) expectation. Will def recommend this hostel over the Wombat City.

This place was the best hostel I ever stayed at, so much awesome. The bar was a good value, and it was just the right size to encourage meeting new people. It was great to have a common kitchen to cook in - even better because it was super clean.

Big hostel with nice staff, cleanliness, lots of bathrooms and toilets, comfortable beds, you can also use internet for free on available computers.The bar downstairs has Happy Hour and it's a good place to stay, to meet people and make friends.

Cosy place, nice personnel, good bar. Only drawback was poor ventilation in the small room, but with the window slightly open it worked fine...

Great place! A quick walk from the station, very friendly staff, the common spaces felt warm and welcoming, the showers were ok. We could even walk down to Schönbrunn in the morning! I'd stay there again next time.

Best hostel I've ever been to.

• 14th Dec 2013

I would totally recommend this hostel to people travelling alone, it was friendly but not a party hostel which was great, warm and cosy, and I actually looked forward to coming back at the end of each day. I didn't need to fill my evenings with activities as everyone was so friendly, they have happy hour at the cute bar and board games and instruments. It was super clean and the girls only bathroom was great. The only down side was no ladders on the bunks! Stay there!

• 10th Dec 2013

Hostel Ruthensteiner had a fantastic atmosphere - cosy, homely and friendly with a focus on art and music. There was even a little garden area (too cold now, but would be great in summer). Everything was kept nice and clean and the staff were lovely. Breakfast probably wasn't great value, but there's a supermarket across the road and a well equipped kitchen.

A very good hostel indeed, great kitchen, very nice communual/bar area to meet other guests. The staff there are extremely helpful and polite, the breakfast they provide is fairly decent too, if I return back to Vienna one day I think I would stay there again.

noisy because of wooden floor and doors

• 6th Dec 2013

Reception greeting initially was a little too matter of fact. Perhaps a language barrier. Other wise generally comfortable.

I can't speak highly enough about this hostel. The live music in the lounge...the endlessly helpful staff...the stellar facilities...I only wish that I had been staying in a place like this the whole trip!

• 29th Nov 2013

Excellent hostel with really friendly helpful staff. Good, cheap breakfast, free wifi and lockers and a nice feel to the place. Really close to a U bahn stop.

• 29th Nov 2013