Hostel Ruthensteiner Reviews

Robert Hamerling Gasse 24, 1150 Vienna, Vienna, Austria

Very close to the main station, but not so good for the museums and "pretty part" of town. The breakfast is also a bit on the feeble side. That being said, the hostel looks immaculate and is well maintained. Pleasant staff. Cheap bar. Pretty floral arrangements. Beds don't creak etc. Plug for every bed. Decent power shower and other bathroom facilities both inside the rooms and in the halls.

Overall a nice stay, good facilities such as chess, musical instruments, great garden. Some staff at times were quiet moody and it was lacking things such as walking tours. The breakfast and hot drinks were expensive for what it was.

More like a hotel with pleasant outlook and relaxing environment, very big common areas with nice gardens. Helpful staffs, rooms are big have lockers, facilities are clean but showers sometimes gets flooded, well mostly because of irresponsible guests! But definitely a top place to stay.

I really can't say enough about this hostel. The gardens were lovely, the common areas were bright, cozy and made it easy to meet people. The showers were great. The best thing was the service though: my bag was lost in transit and the number I was given didn't work. Monika at the front desk researched every possible email address to write to for me, and periodically called through the day. In the meantime, they gave me spare chargers, towels, and sympathy. I loved everything about this hostel.

Had a nice one night stay, the bar and lounge area is awesome.

I loved my stay here, kitchen is great and has a communal food area with spices etc. The garden is beautiful and there are musical instruments in the common area for everyone to use and lots of games which makes it super sociable and easy to meet people! Had a small incident when the staff didn't give us our deposit back for our keys but this was sorted in the end by the manager and overall the staff were lovely. The facilities are great with private, clean bathrooms in the rooms. Great place :)

Really lovely place, if a bit of a walk from the center. Staff were always kind and accommodating. The bar downstairs was a nice place with good specials. Our room was quite tiny - it barely fit a double bed with a small walkway by the door - but the bed was so comfortable I really couldn't complain. They clearly worked hard to keep it clean but the bathrooms tended to get trashed overnight. Not their fault and it was always clean in the morning, but still unpleasant in the meantime.

A big hostel, but comfy and pretty clean. Nice outdoor courtyard, good facilities but quite far from Vienna centre.

I loved Hostel Ruthensteiner. The staff was friendly and helpful - gave me great advice about getting around, getting to my next destination, and helped me out when I was having issues with currency. The hostel itself is a decent size, its not a party hostel, its very warm, homey, and relaxing. I appreciated that there were quiet hours imposed. It was a great place to relax and chill after a long day of site seeing. The breakfast was nice too.

Common area is nice.

I would prefer this hostel over any hotel I've been in. I'm confident that you won't find anything nearly as nice, even for double the price of Hostel Ruthensteiner. I stayed in a twin private and we had a living room/kitchen, a nice bathroom, a large bedroom with nice beds, and a large, well-kept garden on the balcony. The kitchen had dishes and silverware, fridge/freezer, a stove, and everything was perfect. It is well beyond it's price in value.

Happy to hear you had a good time with us, Stephen!! The room with the balcony you have stayed in is one of the nicest ones, so luck you ;) If you ever come back to Vienna, we would be happy to welcome you at the hostel again! Warm regards and enjoy the rest of your trip. Hostel Ruthensteiner Team

nice hostel, has good facilities, nice garden in the middle, has a bar and easy to meet other travellers

One of the best hostels I've ever stayed in: clean, friendly and helpful staff, secure luggage storage, beautiful garden and a great location.

Other than one incident where the bathroom facility was not clean, we had a great experience at the hostel. Great atmosphere and well designed as our room had a sink so we could wash up, even though the toilet and shower was outside. Well worth the money and the breakfast they offered was delicious!

• 27th Jul 2014

It's a very clean and calm hostel. Lots of families and older travellers. If you are young however and looking for something fun I would not say this is the place for you. It's really nice though if you want to relax, they have really good facilities and instruments and a nice garden. Staff are very friendly too

The hostel is great. the garen is great. the location is awesome. the staff are helpful and friendly. Everything s very clean and well thought. I ll definitely come again.

This is one of the best hostels I've ever stayed in, anywhere in the world. They have thought of everything a traveller needs. I would definitely return here!

• 25th Jul 2014

=))) glad to hear our efforts do achieve some results, Eleni!! We would be more than happy to welcome you here again one day! Thank you for staying us =) Hostel Ruthensteiner Team

There was a good atmosphere in this hostel. Every day there were people playing instruments and games in the bar area. My dorm was in a separate building so it felt quite self contained. The facilities were pretty clean. The kitchen was nice, but it's always so busy, though I know this can't be helped. The washing and drying machines were really efficient! My only complaint is that the bunk beds didn't have ladders, being a short person assigned a top bunk - it was an issue.

The only comment about security I would make was that because the locking of the exterior door to our rooms were dependent on the hostel users to operate, the lock is only as good as each individual guest. To improve security (there weren't any problems, but our room was open most of the time), an self-locking lock could be used, one were you would need a key to open it, but not to lock it. That is the only comment. Everything else was awesome.

We found this Hostel average, when were went it was full of 18-21 and was more like a club 18-30 holiday from what we witnessed. On the other hand the facilities were good and use of computers was a bonus, This is really for the younger ones not to sound like an old fart (i'm only 28).