Hostel Ruthensteiner Reviews

Robert Hamerling Gasse 24, 1150 Vienna, Vienna, Austria

A very nice hostel! Clean, good facilities with friendly and helpful staff helped make our brief stay in Vienna very memorable. The room we ordered was a twin which was smaller than the image on the site suggested but this was a minor complaint in a sea of positives. Would recommend.

• 7th May 2014

Stayed in a private room / shared bathroom. The room was small but adequate. A lack of an elevator was disappointing. On our floor we had two bathrooms and three showers shared by both male and female guests. One shower had problems with the lock. The location is great and the reception desk is available 24 hours. They do try to make the stay cozy with common areas, instruments, books, patio, etc. Would recommend if you don't mind carrying a heavy bag up several flights of stairs!

Hi, thank you for your review! It’s true, our hostel is in one of these pre-war European buildings that make elevators more or less impossible - but we like to think of that as part of our charm ;). Next time you come visit, do let us know that you’d rather stay on the ground floor! All the best, and happy travelling!

A pretty average run of the mill hostel, nothing really out of the ordinary and my stay was average at best. However, operating the showers in this place was very reminiscent of experiencing a brain aneurysm. It was one of those press the pump, have 10 seconds of water, then pump again when the water runs out. I found myself living in a constant state of fear of no water as I was having a shower, and certainly would not recommend to those who value comfort over PTSD inducing shower experiences.

Hi, thank you for alerting us to the problem with your shower! Our system is designed to conserve water (an important part of minimizing our impact on the environment). The timer in your room was broken, resulting in an EXTREMELY short shut-off cycle - it’s been replaced now. We do apologise for any PTSD you may be experiencing :) - thanks so much for taking the time to review us!

tiny room, but other facilities are good, big kitchen, friendly staff

The staff was extremely friendly. I was on a 2-month Euro trip in the late spring and found hostel Ruthensteiner had the best kitchen area. There is plenty of space to hang out, meet people, cook, and do laundry. Overall, great place to stay!

Very friendly staff, sense of humour, took the time to talk me through Vienna even when a lot of people were impatiently waiting to be seen.

I had a very good stay at this hostel. It is very close to the West Banhof and the underground, so you can be in the city centre in 10 minutes.. The hostel is on a quiet street and it was also quiet in the hostel at night, so I could have a good night's sleep (I'm not a party animal, so it was important to me). The staff: friendly and efficient and spoke excellent English. Lovely& cosy garden, good facilities to prepare food. very clean, shops nearby. One of the best hostels I've stayed.

THANK YOU for the lovely review - come get a good night's sleep with us again anytime!!!

Nice staff. Room for 3 a bit small.

Very nice hostel. Common room is great with several places to rest. Even a garden. There are musical instruments such as guitars and piano that people use to play and gives a special atmosphere Amazing equipment: Big kitchen, laundry, ... Staff is friendly and helpful Rooms and facilities are clean Excellent place to stay

Thanks so much for the lovely comments - do come again!

a bit expensive :-) great facilities and building, very close to the metro station

• 1st May 2014
  • Poland

The shower is not user-friendly at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So bad to save money in this way.

Hi, thanks so much for your review - I'm so sorry to hear that you had problems with our showers! Our system is designed to conserve water (an important part of minimizing our impact on the environment) while also providing the guest with a comfortable shower, free of charge of course :). They usually work well for our guests - it sounds like your shower might have been malfunctioning. In any case we apologise for the frustration!!!

I would recommend staying here. Location was okay with most things in walking distance, but when they were not the metro and buses were only a short walk away. Staff was friendly enough and the common areas were outstanding. Very spacious and comfortable with a lot to offer (bar, instruments, games, books, etc.). The rooms were a little cramped and the cleanliness of the bathrooms could be improved upon - but that may be a roommate issue.

Basic nice hostel, close to the train station but quite far from attractions. Metro is close however. Shower at least in my room was very good, needed that one! Breakfast wasn't that great thinking of the price, but overall ok. Maps provided weren't that good. Staff was nice, especially the guys who checked me in, but didn't show any extra effort really.

Hi, thanks for your review - we're glad that you enjoyed your time here overall! I'm sorry to hear that our free maps were disappointing...could it be that you didn’t receive a Vienna City Spy Map? We love the city spy maps, which are great to look at and come with excellent local business recommendations, not to mention a Viennese-dialect translator - I know of a number of guests who have a complete European collection! Be sure to pick one up on your next visit :).

It is a lovely hostel at a very convenient location. The main railway station is within five-minute walking distance, and there are many restaurants, cafes and shops nearby. The hostel enjoys the convenience of the high street yet still keeps tranquillity in a quiet residential area. Highly recommended.

The staff was amazing! Very very helpful and flexible with our booking. They even kept our stuff while we side tripped to Salzburg, which was a huge help. Good bar and great hostel atmosphere. Can't say enough nice things about the happy and helpful staff here. Also the location is so close to the train, tram and metro station is was fantastic!

Thanks for your fantastic review - we hope you can come visit us again soon! Happy travelling!

This is the best hostel I've ever stayed in!!! Friendly staff, comfy beds, great bar with happy hour, lockers, etc. Close to westbanhoff station, very convenient. Only downside to staying in an 8 bed ensuite room was that there was only one shower, and everyone was competing to use it in the morning. Otherwise, I definitely recommend this hostel!

As our booked room wasn't available, we got a different room. The advantage was that it had its own bathroom! The disadvantage -- that it was on the other side of the road, which made it more complicated (but not impossible) to get to the main building in order to eat, cook, etc. On the other hand, the hostel is most excellent placed, just round the corner from Mariahilferstrasse: it took us 20 minutes to walk to the Schoenbrunn Castle, for example. There are plenty of places to eat.

Pleasant stay, quiet and peaceful. I was a little confused though, it was inconvenient that the cleaning lady's locker was in our dorm and she would come in whenever she wants without knocking. It was a little annoying.

Thank your for your review, and for alerting us to this! The cleaning team’s storage closet was being renovated during your visit, and one cleaner decided to temporarily store her supplies in your room - of course this is 100% unacceptable. We’ve now found a suitable storage place for her, and she wanted me to tell you that she's so sorry for disturbing you! I hope you can accept our apologies, and thanks again for staying with us!

I can't speak of this place but in superlatives. It's my choice for Vienna -have been there for 4-5 times. Spotlessly clean, nicely furnished (including the guest kitchen) with sufficient number of showers & a cute garden. Besides, reasonably priced. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

What a lovely review! Thank you - we'll be looking forward to your next visit!

I was really not impressed by this hostel, although i did enjoy the lobby area. We were in a room where the cleaning lady's locker was located, and she would come in early in the morning and throughout the day without knocking (which was awkward when you're naked and changing!). The stay was fine, but I got terrible sleep here. Maybe a few adjustments would make this place a bit better, although it was still a fine stay.

Thank you for alerting us to this! It’s 100% against our policy to barge into rooms or to store things in guest space. It turns out that the cleaning team’s storage closet was being renovated during your visit, and one cleaner decided to temporarily store her supplies in your room. Thanks to your review, we've been able to find a suitable storage place - she wanted me to tell you that she's so sorry for disturbing you! I hope you can accept our apologies, and thanks for staying with us!